Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Wanted to give you all a sneak preview of the waterslide decal sheet I'm working on and ask if it's missing anything critical, based on what we know about past and upcoming DX releases. It currently contains:

• Pilot names for the canopy: 1st LT. Hikaru Ichijo, CPTN. Hikaru Ichijo, MAJ. Roy Focker, CPTN. Maximilian Jenius. They would be printed with and without the black background so you can either "paper over" the existing name on the canopy or apply a new one after carefully removing the existing name.
  • Modex numbers for the vertical stabilizer: 001, 011, 012, 013. I put all four on there based on the decal sheet that is supposed to come with the Hayao 1A. Again, they would be printed with and without the black background.
  • Skulls for the area behind the pilot
  • Ejection seat triangles
  • Skull for the heatshield

The markings are either an exact match to what Bandai is using (skulls, modex numbers, and ejection seat triangles) or in the same style (pilot names). Some of the markings are designed to support @RedComet's custom Roy and Max 1S projects (and anyone else wanting to make those customs using the Hikaru 1S). There are duplicates of everything in case mistakes are made during application, but if you're used to working with waterslide decals, you could potentially dress up 2-4 valks with one set.

preview2.jpg

Great work!!

Great markings! Now that i think about it though...even if we replace the pilot of the upcoming VF-1S(that is Roy) with the pilot that was given inside the VF-1J, that is Hikaru Hichijo, it would be awkward for me. Hikaru has an atmospheric helmet which with the super parts it wouldn't really make sense...and that's why i m pretty sure that, at a certain point, we will see a Hikaru TV VF-1S with a space helmet pilot. I guess for Bandai it's more than a good excuse to release the same valk just with a different pilot and a different marking for the name on the canopy. And a that point we would also be free to switch pilots from one valk to another according to our taste or, in case, to the diorama we are building.

39 minutes ago, Ryoma said:

Great markings! Now that i think about it though...even if we replace the pilot of the upcoming VF-1S(that is Roy) with the pilot that was given inside the VF-1J, that is Hikaru Hichijo, it would be awkward for me. Hikaru has an atmospheric helmet which with the super parts it wouldn't really make sense...and that's why i m pretty sure that, at a certain point, we will see a Hikaru TV VF-1S with a space helmet pilot. I guess for Bandai it's more than a good excuse to release the same valk just with a different pilot and a different marking for the name on the canopy. And a that point we would also be free to switch pilots from one valk to another according to our taste or, in case, to the diorama we are building.

Good point. For me, personally, I think it will be a "hard pass" if Bandai releases a Hikaru-specific TV VF-1S, since the only differences from the Roy would be the name on the canopy and the pilot figure. That's a $190 (best case) to $350 (worst case) purchase for two very small changes. Maybe they update the box, too. Meh. If someone wanted to do a resin recast of the Roy figure, which people could then paint so it's Hikaru, that would be a $10 solution. Come to think of it, we haven't seen the Roy figure, have we? He might be wearing an atmospheric flight suit--despite the Super set being announced at the same time. Makes my brain hurt.

@Lolicon - Going to do your fine tuning touches when your copy gets delivered? ;)

@Saburo - More enabling pics with the Fext Hobby hanger and "Where is the forklift" game to be continued. 

Just now, spacemanoeuvres said:

Roy back up at NY for 35,000 JY

ermm gogogo

NY can stuff it! I can get at least 2 1/48 Yammies for 35k yen. 

3 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

These pics on Tamashii show him a bit.

2C9FEACA-469D-4526-978C-33EEF2ABF575.png

2E0B4C84-92CF-48C7-9A0E-529810D1D437.png

9A5568AE-09B8-4C2B-BA16-6564C09953C9.png

Much appreciated! You know, it says something about PO Madness that I didn't even bother to take a close look at the pictures posted on the Tamashii Nations site. I saw a Roy, I wanted a Roy, that was enough for me to start hitting F5 compulsively.

Looks like he's geared up for atmospheric flight, not space flight. I'm still putting the Super set on it. And if someone did end up doing a recast of the pilot that I could paint as Hikaru, I'd be interested.

41 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Looks like he's geared up for atmospheric flight, not space flight. I'm still putting the Super set on it. And if someone did end up doing a recast of the pilot that I could paint as Hikaru, I'd be interested.

FWIW in the show Hikaru flies that 1S both in space and on Earth. Though I honestly forget if Super Parts are ever used in atmosphere. Anyone with a definitive answer on that?

If you want to play it safe, you could copy Max and paint it as Hikaru for a space suit.

50F6CAC1-E641-4949-A7F5-E66FAB66BBFF.jpeg

Edited by RedComet

24 minutes ago, RedComet said:

FWIW in the show Hikaru flies that 1S both in space and on Earth. Though I honestly forget if Super Parts are ever used in atmosphere. Anyone with a definitive answer on that?

If you want to play it safe, you could copy Max and paint it as Hikaru for a space suit.

Rewatched the OG series a few weeks ago. I think the super pack was intended for space only

2 hours ago, borgified said:

@Lolicon - Going to do your fine tuning touches when your copy gets delivered? ;)

@Saburo - More enabling pics with the Fext Hobby hanger and "Where is the forklift" game to be continued. 

NY can stuff it! I can get at least 2 1/48 Yammies for 35k yen. 

@borgified, haha!  Sorry been offline from MWF recently, and taking a break from photographing.  Funny you mentioned the forklift, I had reorganized some of my stuff just recently found where I had stored the forklifts.  :lol:

Not quite sure what to photograph, I'll figure out something or if anyone has requests I'll see what I can do for photos. :)

17 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

You know it!!

I wasn't going to get one. Then three dropped in my lap. I didn't hesitate. I have a problem.

But now my Roy display will have real TV Valks (no supers) with the right pilot opposed to the Yamato's I have as stand ins which have DYRL pilots. And they will be DX's, so there is that.

Annnnd, then I'll be selling Yamato's!

I really have a problem.:good:

On 7/11/2020 at 2:23 AM, Sanity is Optional said:

Nay, NY just holds off on shipping for so long you cancel your PO yourself, for store credit.

That might work in the northern hemisphere, but down here the government has conditioned us to expect looooong delays. 

So your parcel crossed thousands of miles of ocean in 2 days? Now it will take 3 months to drive a few hundred kilometers. But only after we sit on it for a few months. And then only if we dont think it contains valuable items - in which case it will go missing.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:52 AM, lavinrac said:

Robotech is approved by this child, on Christmas morning with the only gift he really cared about and still has to this day,  who turned into me, now aged 47 and with a massive collection of macross and a reasonable collection of Mospeada:

this kid would not see DYRL in motion for another 3-4 years, or Macross  TV in Japanese for. god.. mid 90's?? Anyhow. I would not have begged my parents to take me to Smith Brothers Hobbies in Lancaster CA (outside Edwards AFB) or Fuji Oriental Market (Palmdale) Or Books Nippan (LA) if not for Robotech... I can't hate it. Now HG on the other hand.. they can **** right off the planet. 

jeff-macrossxmas.jpg

Looks like a great Christmas!  I miss the simpler days of childhood and all the awesomeness of new toys on Christmas morning.  Never got a Valkyrie as a kid though--best gift was a Castle Grayskull.  Got a Transformers G1 Motormaster one year which I mistakenly thought was an Optimus Prime upon opening, and I was really let down.  LOL.  Thanks for sharing a good memory.

And same here with Robotech... never had a chance to see the real thing until sometime in the 90s.

25 minutes ago, Jade20X said:

Looks like a great Christmas!  I miss the simpler days of childhood and all the awesomeness of new toys on Christmas morning.  Never got a Valkyrie as a kid though--best gift was a Castle Grayskull.  Got a Transformers G1 Motormaster one year which I mistakenly thought was an Optimus Prime upon opening, and I was really let down.  LOL.  Thanks for sharing a good memory.

And same here with Robotech... never had a chance to see the real thing until sometime in the 90s.

I'm so thrilled so many people got a kick out of this photo I shared! Hope it brings back memories for all of you. There was nothing quite so epic as Christmas morning surprises, Esp. When i didn't know for sure if the parents were listening to what i wanted!  I didn't get a chance to take a picture this weekend. Didn't want to into the attic and i got 'stuck' (it was fun) airbrushing an Orguss kit.

9 hours ago, RedComet said:

Nice catch! As soon as my Max showed up, I put him in the iconic street battle pose (battroid mode), so I didn't take a close look at the pilot. He's indeed ready for space flight. It would be nice if Bandai provided two figures with each TV release (atmospheric and space versions), since they clearly have the molds and the means to do so, but that would be far too reasonable. So, recasting Max looks to be the way to go if we want a Roy or Hikaru in the TV 1S with Super Parts to be as accurate as possible.

Actually, every DX valk should come with an open and closed helmets, like the DX YF-19 did.

Much better, every yellow/black VF-1S should include 4 figures: Roy TV, Roy DYRL, Hikkie TV space, Hikkie TV open helmet.

Edited by vlenhoff

On 7/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, dragontype said:

Nice collection!  I actually think I might like the Flightpose stands more for my display.  Hmm,  Glad I have 2 good options to check out.  

Do also check out the slightly cheaper flightpose like stand from Calibre wings: https://www.flyingmule.com/products/CL-CA72DB10

The base is black instead of clear, it also include longer and shorter stick in one package to allow banking post.

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

Actually, every DX valk should come with an open and closed helmets, like the DX YF-19 did.

Much better, every yellow/black VF-1S should include 4 figures: Roy TV, Roy DYRL, Hikkie TV space, Hikkie TV open helmet.

Don't forget a helmet-less Hikaru, with Misa in his lap wearing it. ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Don't forget a helmet-less Hikaru, with Misa in his lap wearing it. ^_^ 

Yeah but Misa has to have 3 arms, as shown in the series. Two arms around Kikkie's neck, and the third one holding Hikkie's hand over the throttle.

What is a good price for TV Roy's FP? What was the original release price?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vlenhoff

3 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

You can't really mix the DYRL and TV pilots, since the DYRL Cockpits have side controls "Gundam Style" but the TV cockpits have one center control stick, so pilots have totally different poses. It makes you wonder how they controlled both arms on TV, maybe the left arm just did its own thing automatically without human input? Still makes more sense than flying a jet/robot with a guitar...

Edited by RedComet

1 hour ago, RedComet said:

You can't really mix the DYRL and TV pilots, since the DYRL Cockpits have side controls "Gundam Style" but the TV cockpits have one center control stick, so pilots have totally different poses. It makes you wonder how they controlled both arms on TV, maybe the left arm just did its own thing automatically without human input? Still makes more sense than flying a jet/robot with a guitar...

Well, maybe a slide in cockpit?

At the end of the day, I know we'd all like to get one of each model. IMHO it would make it easier for people to buy their beloved valks if Bandai had more stock,  with more options, rather than less options, and too little stock. I believe more options in any product most times a good thing (that goes with video ganes too). It was just a thought, and i know it will never happen. 

I did appreciate the helmet-less Isamu in the DX  YF-19 though. That was a beautiful touch. 

Edited by vlenhoff

56 minutes ago, RedComet said:

In the TV show I could swear there's two side joysticks on the sides of the dashboard that pilots could use for the arms.

2 minutes ago, Duymon said:

In the TV show I could swear there's two side joysticks on the sides of the dashboard that pilots could use for the arms.

Nah, he is right. There is a center stick for the TV verion, and two side controls for the DYRL version.

Edited by vlenhoff
Remember the show's intro?

9 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

Nah, he is right. There is a center stick for the TV verion, and two side controls for the DYRL version.

yeah but he's talking about the arms. In the TV version the flight controls and Arm controls are separate.

From the master file, assuming it's fair to use it as a reference, 

10 is the left arm, 9 is the main flight stick, 8 is the right arm

variable_fighter_master_file_vf_1_valkyrie_stratosphere_wings_042.jpg.22e677a6af7cfac5669f3b21f888127a.jpg

Edited by Duymon

6 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

I did appreciate the helmet-less Isamu in the DX  YF-19 though. That was a beautiful touch. 

Looks like from Plus onward they just all always wear spacesuits anyway (except Basara, cause he's Special), which seems to make a lot mores sense since they can basically fly into space or enter the atmosphere as they like (those are some POWERFUL engines). 

2 hours ago, RedComet said:

(Except Basara, cause he's Special).

38 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

3C4D597A-53CB-4360-AFA4-457989888F4E.gif

36 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Power to the Dreamers!...

Don't forget his most famous line:

"Power to the Music. Power to the Dreamers!" :D

Just now, DYRL VF-1S said:

Damn I want a Kai Fire DX NOW.  Would that be 1/48 or 1/60?

DX for Macross seems to be more about how tall the battroid is so it's a relatively safe bet a VF-19Kai would be 1/60 scale.

1 minute ago, jenius said:

DX for Macross seems to be more about how tall the battroid is so it's a relatively safe bet a VF-19Kai would be 1/60 scale.

And they have already made such a formidable figure with the Y/VF-19 Isamu figures in the 1/60 scale that you would think they could just modify that a bit. FWIW I thought it was more based off fighter nose to tail length than battroid height.