Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

So you un-couple the waist/swing bar thing at the plastic clip/clamp/joiner to get the waist to swivel?

My guess is that most people are not doing this and then dealing with the "spontaneous disassembly" that tends to happen with that clasp/joiner thing for no reason. Does that sounds like an accurate assessment? If so I would think a metal locking type clasp/joiner thing would be a want for most people? Thoughts?

I don’t have “spontaneous disassembly” issues but I do purposely undo that latch every time I transform mine because I prefer to have all the articulation available. There are people who have glued the latch if they decided the extra articulation isn’t needed. 

7 hours ago, Jesper77 said:

I’m really new to the bit of collecting models, been looking at anime for ages tough :) Bought a VF-1S from Mandarake and was really exited. It was scheduled to arrive on Monday next week. On Thursday I got a package containing a 1/60 VF-1S Fokker I’ve bought second hand. I realy liked it and it had SSP and missiles. It was really cheap and a knock off but nothing broken and looks really good. 

On Friday I got a sms telling me my package from Mandarake had arrived. Carefully opened it and....what a sweet model!! It’s stunning!! It’s surpassed all my expectations !! Transformation went so smooth and clean. And it’s huge!’ Looked big in fighter mode but it’s massive in battroide model. I’m in love with my model!!!! Best Buy I’ve ever made ;)  Now I must get missiles, Strike parts and 2 flightpose stands. Damn it, feels like I’m hooked on this collecting thingy :)

So I’m a proud owner of 2 valks, already planning to get some more. Feels like I must have a VF-19 Advanced and a I really like the look of the VF-0S and VF-0D. Somewhat scarred of buying the latter because of the hip problem. Have to wait and see if the new VF-0D have fixed it :) 

Congrats and welcome to the craze! It’s really tough not to want more after you’ve experienced the superiority and pure greatness of a well designed and produced Valk. I highly recommend the Arcadia 0S and there is little chance the hip issue isn’t fixed on the upcoming PF 0D since it was fixed on both releases of the 0S. I rank the Arcadia VF-0s at the top along with the DX VF-1s as the best Valk toys ever made. Not including the original 1/55 Chunky Monkey which is the best toy ever made period. 

53 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Not including the original 1/55 Chunky Monkey which is the best toy ever made period. 

Well said! I'm working on 13 1/55 customs right now. Not at the same time, of course, but I really want to fill out that part of my collection and the stock ones made by Takatoku and Bandai just never felt detailed enough. The upside to that is they can take a serious beating and still look pretty good. These customs? Not so much, but I don't plan on transforming or whooshing them around too much. Taking a Chunky Monkey apart, modifying it, repainting it, and putting it back together really makes you appreciate the durable elegance and simplicity of the design.

4 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Well said! I'm working on 13 1/55 customs right now. Not at the same time, of course, but I really want to fill out that part of my collection and the stock ones made by Takatoku and Bandai just never felt detailed enough. The upside to that is they can take a serious beating and still look pretty good. These customs? Not so much, but I don't plan on transforming or whooshing them around too much. Taking a Chunky Monkey apart, modifying it, repainting it, and putting it back together really makes you appreciate the durable elegance and simplicity of the design.

Cool! I look forward to seeing your customs! I remember in rare cases when something “broke” on my Chunkys, I could easily take it apart and fix it. Something not really possible with most other transforming toys back then (Transformers). 

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

I don’t have “spontaneous disassembly” issues but I do purposely undo that latch every time I transform mine because I prefer to have all the articulation available. There are people who have glued the latch if they decided the extra articulation isn’t needed. 

Congrats and welcome to the craze! It’s really tough not to want more after you’ve experienced the superiority and pure greatness of a well designed and produced Valk. I highly recommend the Arcadia 0S and there is little chance the hip issue isn’t fixed on the upcoming PF 0D since it was fixed on both releases of the 0S. I rank the Arcadia VF-0s at the top along with the DX VF-1s as the best Valk toys ever made. Not including the original 1/55 Chunky Monkey which is the best toy ever made period. 

Yes theirs already cravings for more :) Thank you for explaining, I’ll really go hunting for the Arcadia VF-0S in the near future :) 

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Cool! I look forward to seeing your customs! I remember in rare cases when something “broke” on my Chunkys, I could easily take it apart and fix it. Something not really possible with most other transforming toys back then (Transformers). 

Yes please share. Looking forward to it.

Have 4 sets of SSPs that I ordered through NY using EMS as shipping. After having challenges with getting stuff shipped from the USA to Oz (stuff from BBTS taking 6-8 weeks whereas it used to take 4) lodged a ticket with NY and paid the extra to get it bumped to UPS. Got shipping notice today.

I know for Oz at least that with there being almost no passenger planes in and out of the country, most of the normal shipping methods involve extraordinary delays as there was a heavy reliance on the cargo holds of passenger planes. 

24 minutes ago, jenius said:

Man, I have three SSPs ordered with NY and STILL haven't heard a peep.... had it shipped by ferry and joked that it'd all be good if it got here before Kakizaki... now I'm starting to have my doubts.

You’ve summoned Slave IV again lol

Slave tell us who your favorite store is and why it’s NY. 

22 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

17 minutes ago, crackpot said:

This is becoming the store that must not be named. Ha ha ha ha ha!

LMAO... you guys are brutal.  I'll tell ya what though, he certainly doesn't mind.  Maybe @Slave IV has been plotting this all along so it's more POs for him?

12 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

LMAO... you guys are brutal.  I'll tell ya what though, he certainly doesn't mind.  Maybe @Slave IV has been plotting this all along so it's more POs for him?

:lol:  it's all in good fun.

I still use NY if I can get an order in. 

I have 4 SSP on order with NY and haven't heard a peep.  That's part of their "you'll get it eventually" guarantee that many of us are all too familiar with haha

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

57 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I have 4 SSP on order with NY and haven't heard a peep.  That's part of their "you'll get it eventually" guarantee that many of us are all too familiar with haha

Haha, yeah it's all in good fun to me. Glad most people here get that and don't take these things too seriously or take it to personal levels.:D

NY did end up being the easiest preorder for me last night and even with their recent prices being a bit higher, I think it will still be cheapest for me since I used the Ferry option.

3 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, yeah it's all in good fun to me. Glad most people here get that and don't take these things too seriously or take it to personal levels.:D

NY did end up being the easiest preorder for me last night and even with their recent prices being a bit higher, I think it will still be cheapest for me since I used the Ferry option.

How long does it usually take after release to get the item then? 

18 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

How long does it usually take after release to get the item then? 

When I use Ferry, it used to take 1-2 months. Since the pandemic, I've had two orders and one took around 3 months and the other about 2.5 months. As far as delays on them shipping things out to me, I haven't experienced anything longer than a couple weeks but most items go into "Preparation in progress" within days of release if not the day of. 

2 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh man, you almost got me in trouble on a Teams meeting I was just having. Burst out laughing and thank GOD, my mic was muted.

1 hour ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Say it louder for the collectors in the back! Personally I can't stand it, but once I'm able to move past my initial annoyance I put things in exactly that perspective. "I'll get my stuff eventually".

But that said, I don't even look to N-Y for orders these days, not even for exclusives. I'm not cool with how they're running their store so I'm speaking with my wallet.

Once I get my DX SSP, SH Figuarts Final Battle Iron Man, Rescue, Captain America, and my Premium 0D I'll not use them at all for pre-orders. 

17 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

When I use Ferry, it used to take 1-2 months. Since the pandemic, I've had two orders and one took around 3 months and the other about 2.5 months. As far as delays on them shipping things out to me, I haven't experienced anything longer than a couple weeks but most items go into "Preparation in progress" within days of release if not the day of. 

Not even mad at you, I think if you're a patient person/collector then N-Y probably works out just fine. Especially since historically they've had the lowest prices. But in an "instant-ish gratification" hobby I've stopped looking to them.

-b.

34 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh man, you almost got me in trouble on a Teams meeting I was just having. Burst out laughing and thank GOD, my mic was muted.

Say it louder for the collectors in the back! Personally I can't stand it, but once I'm able to move past my initial annoyance I put things in exactly that perspective. "I'll get my stuff eventually".

But that said, I don't even look to N-Y for orders these days, not even for exclusives. I'm not cool with how they're running their store so I'm speaking with my wallet.

Once I get my DX SSP, SH Figuarts Final Battle Iron Man, Rescue, Captain America, and my Premium 0D I'll not use them at all for pre-orders. 

Not even mad at you, I think if you're a patient person/collector then N-Y probably works out just fine. Especially since historically they've had the lowest prices. But in an "instant-ish gratification" hobby I've stopped looking to them.

-b.

Totally get it and why would anyone get mad at anyone over their shopping preferences?:D

We're all fellow collectors here and this community seems to be all about helping each other out when we can and sharing our own experiences to give others a more informed background to make their own decisions. It's all good! Yeah, I'm extremely patient especially when it comes to toy collecting. I have cases and cases of unopened toys I can go through if I ever itch to open something so I'm never in a rush for anything to get here.

7 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I stood in front of a mirror last night and said @Slave IV three times and he didn't appear. Then I sent the Candyman three emails asking for a tracking number for my SSP's.

What am I doing wrong?:unknw:

:lol::lol:

Y'all are on one today! 

You have to POST about Nippon-Yasan three times, that's the summoning ritual. 

-b.

11 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I stood in front of a mirror last night and said @Slave IV three times and he didn't appear. Then I sent the Candyman three emails asking for a tracking number for my SSP's.

What am I doing wrong?:unknw:

Your first mistake was that you need to say it five times! But be careful what you wish for:diablo:

:D

22 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Totally get it and why would anyone get mad at anyone over their shopping preferences?:D

We're all fellow collectors here and this community seems to be all about helping each other out when we can and sharing our own experiences to give others a more informed background to make their own decisions. It's all good! Yeah, I'm extremely patient especially when it comes to toy collecting. I have cases and cases of unopened toys I can go through if I ever itch to open something so I'm never in a rush for anything to get here.

Well, I know that interaction you're referring to. Preorder nights don't elicit the most positive emotions, especially if a person can't secure an order.

When I read that it felt like there was some back history that I wasn't aware of, but my hope is that you two can find common ground and hug it out, or just avoid each other and live happily ever after.

And for sure, even when I don't agree with a statement or two on the boards, I just chalk it up to different people with differing opinions and ways of looking at things. Live and let live. Especially within the context that we all pretty much enjoy the same things, toys, movies, books, etc.  Essentially the things that bring us together should be stronger than those that would move us apart. 

-b.

1 minute ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Well, I know that interaction you're referring to. Preorder nights don't elicit the most positive emotions, especially if a person can't secure an order.

When I read that it felt like there was some back history that I wasn't aware of, but my hope is that you two can find common ground and hug it out, or just avoid each other and live happily ever after.

And for sure, even when I don't agree with a statement or two on the boards, I just chalk it up to different people with differing opinions and ways of looking at things. Live and let live. Especially within the context that we all pretty much enjoy the same things, toys, movies, books, etc.  Essentially the things that bring us together should be stronger than those that would move us apart. 

-b.

Exactly!

As for that, I honestly did not know where that even came from. That poster just seemed to want to lash out at me. Looking back, I could see how they may have thought I was addressing him (or her) because I saw some earlier post but I was just sharing my experience and didn't even remember (s)he was trying to single me out before.

Like I said, I only call people out to compliment them, to learn something from them or to try to help if I can. Trying to start personal insult exchanges on a forum is not what I'm here for and can definitely do without that nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Exactly!

As for that, I honestly did not know where that even came from. That poster just seemed to want to lash out at me. Looking back, I could see how they may have thought I was addressing him (or her) because I saw some earlier post but I was just sharing my experience and didn't even remember (s)he was trying to single me out before.

Like I said, I only call people out to compliment them, to learn something from them or to try to help if I can. Trying to start personal insult exchanges on a forum is not what I'm here for and can definitely do without that nonsense.

All good!

Now bring on Roy (or Max's) DX VF-1S!!!!

-b.

13 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

All good!

Now bring on Roy (or Max's) DX VF-1S!!!!

-b.

Not sure how to summon Slave IV, but Mentioning a Roy 1S is how you get ME to show up in this thread. Here’s a pic of the finishing touch, the helmet paint change.

7FE88C20-5D93-4DEE-9854-D454CF505596.jpeg.2e45f324e4251775f04224649966fda7.jpeg
Still room for 2 more on the June batch if you want one :) July batch might be Max 1S.

1 minute ago, RedComet said:

Not sure how to summon Slave IV, but Mentioning a Roy 1S is how you get ME to show up in this thread. Here’s a pic of the finishing touch, the helmet paint change.

Still room for 2 more on the June batch if you want one :) July batch might be Max 1S.

Haha, fantastic work! Just curious for those ordering...did you address the numbering "issue"? It doesn't bother me either way but I was wondering.

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, fantastic work! Just curious for those ordering...did you address the numbering "issue"? It doesn't bother me either way but I was wondering.

If you're referring to the 001 rendered as 100 on the fins I considered it but ultimately did not. It turned out to just be too hard to get it 100% the same size and font, as you would have all the other 001 to compare it to, so I decided it would probably be best left alone. For something like the Rank and Name overlay though, if you get it 95% the same fonts and size, it looks just fine because there's nothing to immediately compare it to.

9 minutes ago, RedComet said:

If you're referring to the 001 rendered as 100 on the fins I considered it but ultimately did not. It turned out to just be too hard to get it 100% the same size and font, as you would have all the other 001 to compare it to, so I decided it would probably be best left alone. For something like the Rank and Name overlay though, if you get it 95% the same fonts and size, it looks just fine because there's nothing to immediately compare it to.

Cool, thanks! Good to know.

And that reminds me, one issue to settle before doing a Max, what do you all figure his Rank would be right when he pilots the 1S and fights Milia in DYRL? Would it likely be 2LT like Hikaru since he was acting as leader of Skull Squadron? Luckily for ease of doing the conversion, his 1S is clearly labeled as 001 (three "Skull One" in one movie haha) Also although his 1A clearly has a blue blast shield, the different figures of the 1S seem to be split between wether to make it blue like the 1A or black as it appears in the animation. I guess people could have it done either way they like :p whatever the animation or Arcadia or Yamato say, the customer is always right.

229373862_ScreenShot2020-06-01at1_34_09PM.png.8ddeee496d945c85d9e31e07041faff0.png1409063959_ScreenShot2020-06-01at1_33_45PM.png.1878fe78da9747cf76dc2d5868fc6875.png

26 minutes ago, RedComet said:

And that reminds me, one issue to settle before doing a Max, what do you all figure his Rank would be right when he pilots the 1S and fights Milia in DYRL? Would it likely be 2LT like Hikaru since he was acting as leader of Skull Squadron? 

Bandai put 1st lieutenant for Hikaru for his VF-1S (Skull leader). 

Honestly, I'm not sure how canon those ranks are anyhow.  Maybe Bandai actually consulted with someone involved in the production; maybe they just made it up (I'm guessing the latter).

So if you wanted to match what they did with Hikaru as Skull leader, it would be 1st LT.

I'm far from an expert on US Air Force ranks, or made up anime military ranks, but even 1st LT seems pretty low to be in charge of Skull Squadron.  Major (like Focker), makes a lot more sense.  Anything less than a captain seems too low to be put in charge of such a large/important squadron as Skull squad, but that's me.

Edited by HardlyNever

Yep! I'm looking forward to both of those! Not so much the Preorder madness part but I really want those two for my collection. 

Preach!

54 minutes ago, RedComet said:

Hmmmm....

-b.