Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

15 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

How is printing the rescue arrow in the wrong direction cheaper or easier than printing it in the right direction? Or just positioning the seat further back in the cockpit where it's supposed to be?

I totally agree with you because I think when they draw the shape of the canopy, the position of the seat or the direction of the prints they take drawings or other things for reference and in this case it seems obvious to me that these are mistakes that they could have been avoidable easly.

I bought Hykaru VF-1S DYRL and I'm waiting for it to arrive but shipments are very slow due to the coronavirus.
If Bandai does not fix these problems with printings and/or canopy and seat I think I will not buy other VF1, eventually I'll buy only missile set and DYRL strike parts.
I have 12 Yamato 1/60 V2 VF-1 and they are very good to display (I fixed the head position of the VF-1S in fighter mode), I'll buy other Bandai DX only if they are near to be perfect!

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

How is printing the rescue arrow in the wrong direction cheaper or easier than printing it in the right direction? Or just positioning the seat further back in the cockpit where it's supposed to be?

I'm not attempting to let them off the hook for anything. That is a good example. But things like canopy changes could be down to cost. Part shapes have a lot to do with production cost.

47 minutes ago, valar said:

... it seems obvious to me that these are mistakes that they could have been avoidable easly.

If your field of expertise is not pushing mass production through the process you don't know enough for anything to be obvious to you. You're working off 100% assumption.;)

33 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm not attempting to let them off the hook for anything. That is a good example. But things like canopy changes could be down to cost. Part shapes have a lot to do with production cost.

I'm not talking about the canopy shape. I'm talking about the internal cockpit, seat and all. It's only like 3 or 4 pieces of plastic. The design has the seat too far forward with a lot of wasted space in the back, forcing the pilots to be made extra small in order to fit into the cockpit. Yes, even the DYRL pilot is undersized, though not as egregiously as the TV pilots.

This is something that should have been addressed in the design stage, long before the first DX went into actual production. A couple of pieces of molded plastic with the seat mounted further back with less wasted space probably isn't going to cost any more than what we have now. It's not going to turn a $200 toy into a $300 or $400 toy. And we could have properly sized pilots too.

Bandai f***ed up the VF-31 cockpit too, which is why those pilots sit in cramped cockpits with the console smushed up against them. I don't attribute that to cost. I would attribute that to laziness, carelessness, and/or stupidity.

29 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

long time FJ user but first time ordering a web exclusive. Will they immediately tell us if they cant secure the order?

I have only used them a couple of times and got my order confirmation pretty fast. Never ran into them not being able to secure an order for a web exclusive.

I'm on the fence about this 1A. I have a TV Max and kind of want a TV Kakizaki to go with it, but then I'd find myself trying to track down a Hikaru 1J and a Roy 1S (whenever they do one) which would be... probably expensive/painful.

OTOH, if I get this one, I'll probably want, at least, a DYRL Hikaru 1A and a Max 1S (for Skull Squadron as it existed during the fight over Altira). And then inevitably a Max 1A and a Roy 1S too.

I don't see cheap way out of this short of not buying anything, but I would like at least one other DX VF-1. I just know buying one would lead to at least two more. This hobby is just so expensive.

Edited by jeniusornome

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

If your field of expertise is not pushing mass production through the process you don't know enough for anything to be obvious to you. You're working off 100% assumption.;)

I know how Bandai proceeds to make the Gundam models and I think the process is similar to Macross VF1.

The first design phase is done on the computer with a 3D modeling, then the prototypes are printed with 3D printers and only at the end they create the molds for mass production.

In the mass production phase, the mistakes in the canopy shape or the position of the seat probably will not fix because it would be too expensive to do, but I think the direction of printing in a collectible toy that costs around $200 MUST be fixed.

Then my personal decision is not to buy other VF1 DX because I would take them only if they were really perfect.

There are many VF1 models (Arcadia/Yamato, Hi Metal R, KitzConcept, Hasegawa and other), I think Bandai could make the perfect VF1, they came very close to do it but they didn't do it.

Hi guys, yesterday I watched very carefully Macross dyrl and tv series to check the accuracy of tampo printing, canopy shape and position of the seat.
In the attached pics you can see what I mean...
Why did Bandai make these mistakes? Why? These are things they could easily do perfectly! So... Why???

SDF

1254241352_DXVF-1J29.jpg.142fc4734524f6b1a713a69b84f8ecca.jpg759850520_PDVD(32).jpg.d02470b178c3e2f6ef6e08e33d7609ed.jpg293263276_PDVD(134).jpg.8dd9afebca51836c9d8ecd6d31b2ec9b.jpgPDVD_001.jpg.dd872193cbe5f20becc2f4cbcbc4cf34.jpg

DYRL

Untitled-3.jpg.97d0a7353560fa4f796eab0eb803b900.jpgPDVD_023.jpg.de5d715718a0ab9a2a2fadf36b183370.jpgPDVD_025.jpg.436652fc11371a039e9bee798707fdac.jpg

2 hours ago, valar said:

I totally agree with you because I think when they draw the shape of the canopy, the position of the seat or the direction of the prints they take drawings or other things for reference and in this case it seems obvious to me that these are mistakes that they could have been avoidable easly.

Well, Bandai made the kite VERY GINORMOUS in the vain and futile hope you won't notice the other mistakes...

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-Hikaru-5.thumb.jpg.c829a195f700d1781c11424bb5e5c6a2.jpg

comparo-pic above courtesy of anymoon: http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=12016

Edited by treatment
wtf forum formatting

2 hours ago, chyll2 said:

long time FJ user but first time ordering a web exclusive. Will they immediately tell us if they cant secure the order?

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

I have only used them a couple of times and got my order confirmation pretty fast. Never ran into them not being able to secure an order for a web exclusive.

I've had them cancel a web exclusive order on me (Missile Set), but they did it pretty quickly (factoring in the time difference between Japan and here). They processed my request for a quote and asked for payment, then attempted to place the order after I paid, which makes sense. They discovered that they had already hit their ordering limit, imposed by Bandai, so they immediately refunded my payment and explained why. I've ordered a bunch of web exclusive items from them and have never had any issues. They tend to cost about the same, or in this specific case less, than other options like AE and NY. I'm still waiting for confirmation that my order went through. They might have already hit their limit. If so, I'll just do what @Shawn plans to do: wait for it to show up on YAJ or Mandarake for a reasonable price after release. I don't feel like paying AE or NY prices just for the convenience of being able to push the purchase button today. I'm trying to avoid AE at all costs these days, given how they treat their customers.

Edited by Anasazi37

2 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I've had them cancel a web exclusive order on me (Missile Set), but they did it pretty quickly (factoring in the time difference between Japan and here). They processed my request for a quote and asked for payment, then attempted to place the order after I paid, which makes sense. They discovered that they had already hit their ordering limit, imposed by Bandai, so they immediately refunded my payment and explained why. I've ordered a bunch of web exclusive items from them and have never had any issues. They tend to cost about the same, or in this specific case less, than other options like AE and NY. I'm still waiting for confirmation that order went through. They might have already hit their limit. If so, I'll just do what @Shawn plans to do: wait for it to show up on YAJ or Mandarake for a reasonable price after release. I don't feel like paying AE or NY prices just for the convenience of being able to push the purchase button today.

Same situation for me. Waiting for confirmation from FJ. If not, they will eventually turn up for sale on the internet somewhere. Max VF-1As became quite plentiful with time.

I will wait to see if and when NY ships me my Super/Strike parts before I give them any money again.

10 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

kakizaki also available on mykombini for 20990 yen: https://mykombini.com/en/august-2020/17940-dx-chogokin-macross-movie-edition-vf-1a-valkyrie-hayao-kakizaki-use-bandai-limited.html

Surprised that it's already up on mykombini. They usually have very late postings.

are they good ? never purchased from them 

16 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

@jenius Can you build into your review schedule a comparison of the Skull One?  (Unless it exists and I couldn't find it on anymoon.com.) Would be really cool to reference since it's asked a lot here.

Probably, outline what you think would be most useful and I'll see if I can pull it together.

4 minutes ago, treatment said:

Just saw this interesting mag-scan posted up at TD:

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=462993&pid=8121345

223534nr9ml1ul2u9t1tee.jpg.82ceb1f5c6e7c268c03f86acc6808b9e.jpg

Interesting as in they airbrushed out the tail-numbering on the upcoming Kaki...

:bump:

Maybe the final product won't have it hence the decal sheet. You apply the wrong modex yourself and blame yourself. Hahahahahaha!

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I’m surprised NY came out with such a high price. Not very typical for them and they lost my business on this one. For those that went with FJ, how much did it end up being? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat @Slave IV. Not worth that much of a mark up IMO.

40 minutes ago, treatment said:

Just saw this interesting mag-scan posted up at TD:

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=462993&pid=8121345

223534nr9ml1ul2u9t1tee.jpg.82ceb1f5c6e7c268c03f86acc6808b9e.jpg

Interesting as in they airbrushed out the tail-numbering on the upcoming Kaki...

:bump:

Whats with displaying the TV 1J and 1A on the same page as DYRL kaki? Why not use the DYRL Hikkie to be displayed with?

4 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Seems like many of these places are already showing "Sold Out." Now I have to wonder how reliable they may be with securing all of the orders. Or, are they allotted so many and mark as "Sold out" once that stock depletes?

As long as the TWE page still has it in stock and the retailers have placed all orders received,  it SHOULD be fine unless it becomes a Kairos fiasco where the retailers have no control over.

2 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Anyone dealt with Nin-Nin before? Thoughts, comments concerns? That's where I went to get my pre-order in. Reasonable price.

I preordered a TWE through them a while back. After taking my money, they never delivered and never responded to me ever again. I waited two months after the item released to contact them about it and they just ignored me. They ignored disputed from PayPal too so in the end, I just got my money back and will never use them again. F them!

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

I preordered a TWE through them a while back. After taking my money, they never delivered and never responded to me ever again. I waited two months after the item released to contact them about it and they just ignored me. They ignored disputed from PayPal too so in the end, I just got my money back and will never use them again. F them!

DAMN IT!

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Probably, outline what you think would be most useful and I'll see if I can pull it together.

You could probably get enough content out of going through a short timeline of releases and comparisons.  I'm not as familiar with the history, but IIRC there have been TV and DYRL Skull One releases for Hikaru and Roy of 1/55 (reissues), Yamarcadia, and HMR right?  Would be cool to start off with the actual anime or line art differences and then compare the toy releases to date.  Then you'd be able to add to it when DX does their releases.  Super or Strike Parts would be an added cool factor as well.

Thoughts from others?

1 minute ago, Alphahorizon said:

Anyone dealt with Nin-Nin before? Thoughts, comments concerns? That's where I went to get my pre-order in. Reasonable price.

I'm not a fan.  They've canceled my orders in the past for no other reason than "sorry, we don't have that in stock" though their site showed it and continued to show it after.  But everyone has stories of e-tailers gone sideways, so YMMV.

1 minute ago, Alphahorizon said:

DAMN IT!

My guess is what happened to me is not the norm or they wouldn’t be in business but I have heard similar stories about them. If you want to hedge your bets, try an order at okiniland too. Either way, hope it works out for you. 

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

My guess is what happened to me is not the norm or they wouldn’t be in business but I have heard similar stories about them. If you want to hedge your bets, try an order at okiniland too. Either way, hope it works out for you. 

Went ahead and took your advice @Slave IV. If they flake I will contact my CC company and get it back. If they don't then I will have an extra to sell. Okini it is. Thanks for the heads up guys!

11 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Went ahead and took your advice @Slave IV. If they flake I will contact my CC company and get it back. If they don't then I will have an extra to sell. Okini it is. Thanks for the heads up guys!

No problem! Sounds like everyone who wants it is good now. And there is always NY at a slight premium.