Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I see the decal sheet as a bonus for paying more for the TWE item and love that they provide different option for other parts. I don’t care about the number decals at all, those skull ones though, sweet!

Yeah I'm right there with ya.  I'm always amazed at the level of detail some of our brothers and sisters in Macross collecting get into.  Like the line art, etc.  Simply because it doesn't matter to me that much - but then again, I don't do modeling so I can't relate to that type of detail.

My collection mostly stays on display with some swooshing from time to time. I'm ok with the modex and lack of certain tampo like the ejection one.  I may use the decals to supplement some of it but eh we'll see.

1 minute ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Yeah I'm right there with ya.  I'm always amazed at the level of detail some of our brothers and sisters in Macross collecting get into.  Like the line art, etc.  Simply because it doesn't matter to me that much - but then again, I don't do modeling so I can't relate to that type of detail.

My collection mostly stays on display with some swooshing from time to time. I'm ok with the modex and lack of certain tampo like the ejection one.  I may use the decals to supplement some of it but eh we'll see.

Haha, I’m so friggin anal about other stuff though! Like I love that we are getting this decal sheet but I will never use it! I’ll just admire it and if I wanted to use it, I’d scan it and make my own so I don’t have to use the original. :lol:

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I would actually care less about this if Bandai weren't being "We're doing it the wrong way on purpose, and we recognize that you don't like that, so here's a sticker to comfort yourself while you piss off" about it.  The sticker is more insulting to me than the error.  If they know people are upset about it, they should correct it, not include a bandaid to fix it yourself. 

If anything, I'm going to just hope the tampo behaves like the YF-19's wing markings, so I can just erase both tail modexes and be done with it.  Most of my Yamatos don't have those markings, and if Bandai's going to print them wrong on purpose, my Bandai valks don't need them either. (And if I ever decide to put them back on, I don't have to size-match their font. :p)

Far as this being a weird choice for the next release though, I can see it being a good one to test the waters with.  They may be wagering that Kakizaki won't be popular enough to strain their ability to produce, as production lines recover.

My theory on this is that if they admit it is wrong, they could possibly be legally liable and therefore obligated to do something about it (refund, discount, reissue, etc.).  They could have said nothing at all, but I imagine they've gotten quite a lot of "feedback" about it in Japan.  So they decided to claim it was on purpose to cover their ass.  

Just my theory, though.

6 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

We will probably need a lot of it to properly decal a Max unit with his kill count.

Lol! We need to add a "x100" next to each decal for him.

1 minute ago, borgified said:

I'm waiting for a DX Max 1s pre-order if Bandai gets the green light.. :unsure: 

My most wanted Valk in DX, Arcadia, HMR and any other form right now.

Edited by Slave IV

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, I’m so friggin anal about other stuff though! 

I was just about to write a post about how over the top anal I am about some stuff but for some reason the tail numbers aren't even on my radar.

Examples of things that do drive me crazy:

-I CAN'T STAND non clear stands. Really, I hate them. To me all stands need to be clear. I know this isn't on some/a lot of people's radar. Me being so anal about that has been a good deal for @ChaoticYeti!!!:D

-I am over the top particular how stuff is displayed in general. I can't stand stuff being packed together. There needs to be a symmetry to everything. I like really clean looking displays. "Sanitary" and "cold" looking cabs so there is no distraction from the toys. The lighting needs to be just right. I've tried 3-4 different LED bulbs in my big cabs before I settled on the ones I like. Overall my displays are nowhere near as sorted as I want them.

-Two of my cabs have one kind of LED driver and the other two cabs another. They "come to life" at different rates (we're talking about 1-1.5sec different). That drives me crazy!:rofl:

-Etc, etc, etc

We all have our "things". 

Edited by sqidd

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I was just about to write a post about how over the top anal I am about some stuff but for some reason the tail numbers aren't even on my radar.

Examples of things that do drive me crazy:

-I CAN'T STAND non clear stands. Really, I hate them. To me all stands need to be clear. I know this isn't on some/a lot of people's radar. Me being so anal about that has been a good deal for @ChaoticYeti!!!:D

-I am over the top particular how stuff is displayed in general. I can't stand stuff being packed together. There needs to be a symmetry to everything. I like really clean looking displays. "Sanitary" and "cold" looking cabs so there is no distraction from the toys. The lighting needs to be just right. I've tried 3-4 different LED bulbs in my big cabs before I settled on the ones I like. Overall my displays are nowhere near as sorted as I want them.

-Two of my cabs have one kind of LED driver and the other two cabs another. They "come to life" at different rates (we're talking about 1-1.5sec different). That drives me crazy!:rofl:

-Etc, etc, etc

We all have our "things". 

Haha, definitely! Part of my thing with the decal is that I always want my items to be complete and as original as possible. Using a decal sheet or throwing away box and packing material drives me crazy, lol!

As for displays, I'm with you on stands but I will make some exceptions, especially when the stand is part of the display like the recent Arcadia launch arm stands. 

BUT, I really dislike displays where most things are displayed the same way. Like a bunch of fighter mode all at the same angle. I only bought two Arcadia Stands because I can't imagine ever wanting more than two valks displayed on the launch arm.

The thing that bugs me most is not as prevalent with Valks but collections of action figures where all the figures, no matter how articulated they can be, are instead packed like sardines and posed in a sterile, standing up straight pose.

Basically, I like my displays to be set up telling some kind of story, with action and diversity throughout.

34 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

The thing that bugs me most is not as prevalent with Valks but collections of action figures where all the figures, no matter how articulated they can be, are instead packed like sardines and posed in a sterile, standing up straight pose.

Yeah man, I'm having that issue now with consolidating my TF's down to one Detolf to open up an extra Detolf for Macross.  It's not horrible, but I tend to like clean displays that aren't over crowded.  Leaving some breathing room is critical for a sharp display.

Once this COVID madness subsides a little, I'll likely invest in a large upright display case which will free up a Detolf.

9 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Yeah man, I'm having that issue now with consolidating my TF's down to one Detolf to open up an extra Detolf for Macross.  It's not horrible, but I tend to like clean displays that aren't over crowded.  Leaving some breathing room is critical for a sharp display.

Once this COVID madness subsides a little, I'll likely invest in a large upright display case which will free up a Detolf.

I don't mind crowds as long as there is an organic motion going on. Like those Marvel or DC comic posters with a bunch of characters all together but all doing their thing.

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

I don't mind crowds as long as there is an organic motion going on. Like those Marvel or DC comic posters with a bunch of characters all together but all doing their thing.

So much this^^^^

Not a bunch of figures shoulder to shoulder standing in formation.

Bobby Skullface has some good figure displays. Star Wars and Marvel (I think).

Well... at least we really don't have that problem with DX at the 1/48 size.  I mean really you can only fit one or two in a Detolf anyway (as the most common display case for most of us).

As soon as we are able to either complete the Vermillion squad or Skull squad, I'll be relocating them to my retail case.  But until then, Detolf it is (unless I can snag a good deal on Displays2Go or something...)!

This is not so much "action" as it's straight up display. This is a perfect example of what I like to see as far as symmetry and density goes. I don't want one more or one less valk in that shelf. To me this is perfect. It only took me three tries.:D Actually, I'm not quite done. The Battroid's are getting 45deg adapters so they're angled out a bit (well, 45deg) so you see as much side as you can front. I just need to find the time to do it. 

Symetry.jpg.9f520c95627fc24ed0fda0f13602d044.jpg

Edited by sqidd

1 minute ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

But until then, Detolf it is (unless I can snag a good deal on Displays2Go or something...)!

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of sales on a lot of stuff over the next few months.

10 hours ago, tturbozx66 said:

tamashii exclusive. 

https://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000143487/?fbclid=IwAR2dl_HKyU94idJxfvMm_8dSAG8v64-DbBUInDW39w2GsWoibM_C-WPXafk

DX Chogokin Movie version VF-1A Valkyrie (Hayao Kakizaki)

Selling price 19,800 yen (tax included)
Points earned 198P
Start accepting reservations March 25, 2020 16:00
End of reservation acceptance 23:00 on April 22, 2020
Delivery date Scheduled to be shipped in August 2020

53B2D87E-A21C-47A7-9A9B-FB998DA91AEA.jpeg

Definite Pass. If they release a VF-1A CF TV or DYRL then I would only purchase that as my last Bandai DX. Two seater might bring me back but seems highly unlikely they will get produced.

The fact that Bandai is not addressing this is not giving me the confidence to support them.

This is hard for me to state as I really do like purchasing VF-1(s).

4 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Yeah I have a feeling too...

This downturn/potential depression could be a partial blessing for me as far as business goes. I have been basically been holding on by my fingernails for over a year just trying to keep up. I'm not getting ahead on anything. A lot of small tasks/items just never get done. A slow down for me to catch up wouldn't be the worst thing. I'll of course miss the income though. Which may not be the end of the world. I don't think we're going to get buried with PO's any time soon. All I'm waiting on is DX VF-1 Roys, DX YF-21's and HMR stuff (especially Destroids). I don't think we're seeing any of that soon.

1 minute ago, sqidd said:

I don't think we're going to get buried with PO's any time soon. All I'm waiting on is DX VF-1 Roys, DX YF-21's and HMR stuff (especially Destroids). I don't think we're seeing any of that soon.

For sure, but hopefully we'll be lucky and see a regular PO announcement in April or May for another DX (maybe TV Kaki?).  Last year, Bandai did PO for Max in Feb and then DYRL 1S in March.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a non-TWE release sooner than later since the molds exist for them all at this point (1J, 1A, 1S).

3 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

For sure, but hopefully we'll be lucky and see a regular PO announcement in April or May for another DX (maybe TV Kaki?).  Last year, Bandai did PO for Max in Feb and then DYRL 1S in March.  Wouldn't surprise me to see a non-TWE release sooner than later since the molds exist for them all at this point (1J, 1A, 1S).

Fingers crossed for Roy.

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

My guess is some form of Roy will come next.

I can't remember the difference between the TV and DYRL Roy.

-I don't think Roy ever had S&S parts in the TV show. That's kind of a non thing though. You put them on or you don't.

-TV Roy is whiter than DYRL Roy?

-Anything else> Maybe some markings are different?

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

My guess is some form of Roy will come next.

I'm really thinking the same.  On one hand, TV Roy could make sense since they already showed the DRYL 1A squad.  On the other hand, it seems unlikely to me that we would see both a TV Roy and DYRL Roy.  And we know there will be a DYRL Roy because of the black skull insignia in SSP.  If anything, Bandai has a history of TV Hikaru 1S and DYRL Roy 1S.

Then that begs the question: Do you think they'd quickly do a back-to-back DYRL PO?

The trouble is that Bandai never makes sense to me on their release decisions.  I can't find a pattern.  LOL.  Which is why it's so fun to speculate.

I'm looking forward in getting a bigger display case after this mess is over and to properly put my Macross/TF/1/6 & 1/12 collection in full display.

I'm glad that Hayao 1a pre-orders are announced for those that want to complete the Vermillion Squadaron, hopefully that Roy's DYRL (or TV version for those that want it) gets made as well.

53 minutes ago, sqidd said:

-I don't think Roy ever had S&S parts in the TV show. That's kind of a non thing though. You put them on or you don't.

-TV Roy is whiter than DYRL Roy?

-Anything else> Maybe some markings are different?

No Strike parts in SDFM.  Different color supers.. 

50 minutes ago, sqidd said:

The only difference I can recall from the base valk is different coloured arrow on the head (and I can only find evidence of this from the Yamato release).

image.png.1efd114e68e8d9e367b17a5bc38a8253.pngimage.png.6fab6129da4638075937a7096476bc9e.png

In terms of Bandai's release, TV and DYRL Roy would have different tampo markings as they've demonstrated different marking styles for their TV and DYRL releases so far.

10 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

The only difference I can recall from the base valk is different coloured arrow on the head (and I can only find evidence of this from the Yamato release).

image.png.1efd114e68e8d9e367b17a5bc38a8253.pngimage.png.6fab6129da4638075937a7096476bc9e.png

In terms of Bandai's release, TV and DYRL Roy would have different tampo markings as they've demonstrated different marking styles for their TV and DYRL releases so far.

In the anime, the TV skull leader has red triangles on the shoulders, and the DYRL skull leader has yellow triangles.

Whether Bandai would care about that is anyone's guess.

49 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

So cabin fever is starting to set in and I got to staring at my displays a little too long.  And I noticed the oddest defect on my Hikaru VF-1S copy.  The upper part of the left bicep is slightly raised.  At first I thought it was cracked or something, and maybe causing it to poke out a bit, but no, it's actually molded that way.  

My Hikaru 1J and Max 1A are completely flat on all the biceps.  Has anyone else noticed this issue on any of theirs?

IMG_20200324_175314[1].jpg

IMG_20200324_175352[1].jpg

3 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

So cabin fever is starting to set in and I got to staring at my displays a little too long.  And I noticed the oddest defect on my Hikaru VF-1S copy.  The upper part of the left bicep is slightly raised.  At first I thought it was cracked or something, and maybe causing it to poke out a bit, but no, it's actually molded that way.  

My Hikaru 1J and Max 1A are completely flat on all the biceps.  Has anyone else noticed this issue on any of theirs?

IMG_20200324_175314[1].jpg

He's clearly been doing hammer curls to beef up the brachialis.:p