Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Its a little clearer now, on the benefits of stickers.......to the manufacturer's that is! :D:D

Just slap on the stickers and pretend that the errors don't exist.

We see faults too, just don't butter up and say it never happened.  :db:

I was asking a friend about the toy industry and events and he mentioned that coronavirus is crippling the industry right now. Shows are receiving limited staff and most factories are shut down. He said that maybe a huge company like Bandai is less affected but for everyone else it sounds like we are in for months of delays, maybe some canceled products, and less 'coming soon' announcements. 2020 might be a very slow year. 

18 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Definitely a nice reminder and also stokes the debate on where the Hikkie 1A Strike Parts are coming from because bus 011 is not included in the Strike set. I’m guessing a TWE bundle.

It will also be very easy for Bandai to just drop a set of skull logo pieces in with the valk itself.  They can do that for pretty much every future release now.

I'm just waiting for the rest of my strike packs to arrive from NY, and then I'm going to be drowning in spare skull logo panels.  No reason to keep so many duplicates, so a lot of them are going to be repainted and decaled with other logos.

24 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

It will also be very easy for Bandai to just drop a set of skull logo pieces in with the valk itself.  They can do that for pretty much every future release now.

I'm just waiting for the rest of my strike packs to arrive from NY, and then I'm going to be drowning in spare skull logo panels.  No reason to keep so many duplicates, so a lot of them are going to be repainted and decaled with other logos.

So true!  And awesome idea.  I wish I had mod skills

56 minutes ago, jenius said:

I was asking a friend about the toy industry and events and he mentioned that coronavirus is crippling the industry right now. Shows are receiving limited staff and most factories are shut down. He said that maybe a huge company like Bandai is less affected but for everyone else it sounds like we are in for months of delays, maybe some canceled products, and less 'coming soon' announcements. 2020 might be a very slow year. 

I didn't think through this possibility but it makes so much sense.  Man...what a bummer.  First, I hope for everyone's health and safety, but after that I can be selfish and think about my collecting.  That stinks.

3 hours ago, jenius said:

It's not just the toy industry. I'm having a hard time with a few of my suppliers because they get aluminum out of China. My wallet is going to take a beating this year.

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I've been contemplating the idea of designing and printing replacement decals and stickers for this line. Both to deal with incorrect or missing markings and for custom projects. It wouldn't be difficult for me to do it, I just don't have a good feel for demand. I've been designing and printing stuff for valks for 17+ years now....

4 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I've been contemplating the idea of designing and printing replacement decals and stickers for this line. Both to deal with incorrect or missing markings and for custom projects. It wouldn't be difficult for me to do it, I just don't have a good feel for demand. I've been designing and printing stuff for valks for 17+ years now....

I for one would love more decals available for all the various Macross releases over the years.

The 1/48 DX has a ton of markings already printed on it, but Bandai somehow managed to miss a number of key markings (ejection seats, skull insignia) that I consider a must.

Then there's Arcadia's stuff, which is expensive already, and I think for many of us a decal sheet would be preferable to buying the more expensive PF edition. Unless of course all future PF releases are beautifully weathered like the 0D... :wacko:

14 hours ago, jenius said:

Ya. I'm glad you mentioned that. I've been thinking that very thing for about a week and just didn't know how to bring it up..

7 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

And it shows! The quality of your work is awesome and i for one would fully support your continued efforts to bring us more awesomeness :good:

On 2/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, Lolicon said:

I for one would love more decals available for all the various Macross releases over the years.

The 1/48 DX has a ton of markings already printed on it, but Bandai somehow managed to miss a number of key markings (ejection seats, skull insignia) that I consider a must.

Then there's Arcadia's stuff, which is expensive already, and I think for many of us a decal sheet would be preferable to buying the more expensive PF edition. Unless of course all future PF releases are beautifully weathered like the 0D... :wacko:

They really do seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. Wouldn't be hard to throw together a small sheet to take care of key markings that are missing for the DX (maybe even a 001 for the tailfin on the Hikaru 1S). Larger decal sheet for Arcadia valks would definitely be more affordable than the PF editions.

21 hours ago, Bolt said:

And it shows! The quality of your work is awesome and i for one would fully support your continued efforts to bring us more awesomeness :good:

Much appreciated!

3 minutes ago, borgified said:

Rats, a few minutes too late. But I have gotten a VF-1S and missile set their recently so now just 1 more step. 

So I opened up my VF-1S and things were going well until I noticed the left leg jiggled a lot. And after doing a little disassembly I see that Bandai did not screw the hip joint in tight enough and it never quite met the other side of the joint. But in order to screw it back together I need access to the thigh via a screw, but this damn screwhole cover is not budging. Any thoughts on how to remove this screw hole cover? If only Bandai made disassembly easy. 

IMG_20200221_225025.thumb.jpg.9838a892f2322e4ab9b4d33d8cdf5e67.jpg

1 hour ago, SuperHobo said:

So I opened up my VF-1S and things were going well until I noticed the left leg jiggled a lot. And after doing a little disassembly I see that Bandai did not screw the hip joint in tight enough and it never quite met the other side of the joint. But in order to screw it back together I need access to the thigh via a screw, but this damn screwhole cover is not budging. Any thoughts on how to remove this screw hole cover? If only Bandai made disassembly easy. 

IMG_20200221_225025.thumb.jpg.9838a892f2322e4ab9b4d33d8cdf5e67.jpg

That cover is most likely super glued on, so there won't be any way to open it without breaking it. Bandai loves their super glue! Parts that I could open on the 1J can no longer be easily opened (or at all) on the 1A and 1S thanks to Bandai just going hog wild with the glue.

Bandai wants to deny you the color scheme you desire. Like a certain paint scheme? Bandai won't release it. Think you'll just make your own custom? Bandai will make it damn near impossible to do any disassembly whatsoever. :p

8 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That cover is most likely super glued on, so there won't be any way to open it without breaking it. Bandai loves their super glue! Parts that I could open on the 1J can no longer be easily opened (or at all) on the 1A and 1S thanks to Bandai just going hog wild with the glue.

Bandai wants to deny you the color scheme you desire. Like a certain paint scheme? Bandai won't release it. Think you'll just make your own custom? Bandai will make it damn near impossible to do any disassembly whatsoever. :p

Ughhhh if I can't get the screwcover off, in order to screw in a loose screw holding the thigh to the intake, I might just glue the damn hip. Sigh oh Bandai. 

Edited by SuperHobo

So, as an alternative, what if you drill out the screwcover, just accept that the cover is a lost cause, and make a new one after fixing the leg?

Personally, I would try and cut the cover in half by drilling small holes down the slot in the center, then pry it out.  Then if the halves are still good, sand away what remains of the recessed slot, and glue them together around a thin slice of plastic to rebuild the cover.  The slot won't be as obvious if it's a slightly different shade of plastic.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So, as an alternative, what if you drill out the screwcover, just accept that the cover is a lost cause, and make a new one after fixing the leg?

Personally, I would try and cut the cover in half by drilling small holes down the slot in the center, then pry it out.  Then if the halves are still good, sand away what remains of the recessed slot, and glue them together around a thin slice of plastic to rebuild the cover.  The slot won't be as obvious if it's a slightly different shade of plastic.

I was able to take the screwcover off via a super thin hobby tool. Only a tiny corner was glued in. Now, to fix the rest of the thigh....

2 hours ago, bbilly29 said:

friend at bandai just confirmed, the next 1/48 will be Kakizaki

646578700_next48t.thumb.JPG.aed6778c714e96a355ba81348d9c949e.JPG153785965_next48tb.thumb.JPG.6083b1a7539a60367be914ee634cb53b.JPG27528872_next48thc.thumb.JPG.1e9381bc9f7b14f942f54bbd2bd140aa.JPG545969660_next48a.thumb.JPG.faadd38972d06400f2e16382c31f99d9.JPG

Total fake. Not even Bandai would put skull and crossbones logos on the tail fins. 

Let your friend know he’s not working at Bandai. Time for him to get a real job.