Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I tried using just the primer (unfortunately, racing white wasn't pretty far from what I needed).  The primer itself is just a shade or two too dark, so I figured I'd kind of try to sand a little off to make it lighter.  That sort of worked, but it ended up kind of splotchy as well:

IMG_20200126_183724.thumb.jpg.ea766e228aa8d5707c61c5e97f72db99.jpgIMG_20200126_183925.thumb.jpg.ef32014dc41a717b58c492a042ab5afb.jpg

It looks pretty good, but the color is still just a bit off.  If I were going for some kind of weathered or even cell shaded look, it would be fine.  But as-is, it still isn't quite right.  And I found out the hard way that Amazon does not accept returns on things like spray paint (I guess the can makes it a shipping hazard, but they have no problem shipping it to you... whatever).  So I'm not too keen on ordering a bunch of different colors that I can't return in order to get the color just right.  So I'm hoping someone can vouch for one of these colors as a near exact match; otherwise I'll just call it good enough for now and move on.  Here are the colors I'm considering:

British Navy Grey

Light Gray (USAF)

or possibly Royal Light gray, which is probably too blue.

This is what color the primer is.  The color on the cap is nearly an exact match, but it ends up just a little too dark.  So it's really hard for me to tell what is going to work best

Edited by HardlyNever

4 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

So I'm hoping someone can vouch for one of these colors as a near exact match; otherwise I'll just call it good enough for now and move on.  Here are the colors I'm considering:

British Navy Grey

Light Gray (USAF)

or possibly Royal Light gray, which is probably too blue.

This is what color the primer is.  The color on the cap is nearly an exact match, but it ends up just a little too dark.  So it's really hard for me to tell what is going to work best

Tamiya cap colors are horrible. I own every color you named.  British Navy Grey?  That's Royal Light Grey.  Same color, different name---but both are "TS-81" and that's what matters.  I've owned multiple cans of that color---the cap on the "British Navy Grey" one is quite close to the actual color.  It's a slightly warm grey, not cool/blue at all.  But I'm betting it may be too dark.  AS-16/USAF grey is lighter I think, will spray a bit to check tomorrow if I can. 

I don't own any Bandai 1/48 valks, so can't be sure what color I'd need to match for you----are they close to a 1/60 V2 Yamato DYRL grey?  Or lighter/warmer?  Are they "notably grey" or just "very slightly off white"?  

Based on "Racing White" being close, my best suggestion would actually be AS-20, Insignia White.  The name is a lie.  It's very, very, very, light grey.  The lightest grey you can buy in a can.  I'd say it's lighter and less "creamy" than Racing White.  Racing White is kinda like "Ivory", whereas Insignia White is more like "greyish white", or "white with the brightness sucked out".  

I can probably get some direct color sample comparisons in the next day or two.  I think I have some Tamiya light grey primer as a base reference, too. 

This is Insignia White:

(actual white, is right above the Falcon)

d3cf5fddc795a6a546b55c8842b6b7af.jpg

1 hour ago, Guyffon said:

Just wondering if anyone tried prying open the leg armours to see if there is any detail under there, though doing so mostly like will ruin your toy.

Oh and great review as always from anymoon

I pried mine open and was shocked to find a HMR Tomahawk in each one!:yahoo:

Jokes:rolleyes:

I wish that were true sqidd

in other news, found the vf-1s for sale here locally at a game shop for sgd$440.00 and max’s vf-1a for sgd$360.00. Man are they expensive.....maybe I should ask them if they want to buy my MSIB strike packs I have been trying to sell and they can bundle those at whatever obscene pice they want to sell them at. Haha

12 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Tamiya cap colors are horrible. I own every color you named.  British Navy Grey?  That's Royal Light Grey.  Same color, different name---but both are "TS-81" and that's what matters.  I've owned multiple cans of that color---the cap on the "British Navy Grey" one is quite close to the actual color.  It's a slightly warm grey, not cool/blue at all.  But I'm betting it may be too dark.  AS-16/USAF grey is lighter I think, will spray a bit to check tomorrow if I can. 

I don't own any Bandai 1/48 valks, so can't be sure what color I'd need to match for you----are they close to a 1/60 V2 Yamato DYRL grey?  Or lighter/warmer?  Are they "notably grey" or just "very slightly off white"?  

Based on "Racing White" being close, my best suggestion would actually be AS-20, Insignia White.  The name is a lie.  It's very, very, very, light grey.  The lightest grey you can buy in a can.  I'd say it's lighter and less "creamy" than Racing White.  Racing White is kinda like "Ivory", whereas Insignia White is more like "greyish white", or "white with the brightness sucked out".  

I can probably get some direct color sample comparisons in the next day or two.  I think I have some Tamiya light grey primer as a base reference, too. 

This is Insignia White:

(actual white, is right above the Falcon)

d3cf5fddc795a6a546b55c8842b6b7af.jpg

Sorry, that was a typo.  I meant to say that racing white was pretty far off from what I was looking for (definitely too warm).  I also don't have any Yamato 1/60 DRYL valks, so I can't compare there.  But AS-20 might be close to what I'm looking for.    I think there might be just a touch of blue in the color, but it's hard to describe.  It's definitely not warm. This pic from Anymoon captures the color pretty well, I guess?  There are so many variables from lighting of the picture taken, to screen color, it can be really hard to color match just on the internet.

Bandai-DX-VF-1A-Max-TV-3.jpg

Thanks for the help.  I might try one more color and live with "close enough."  This project has gone on longer than I wanted, anyhow.

Edited by HardlyNever

I just finished watching @jenius comparison review between Yamato’s and Bandai’s VF-1S. Great review as always. :good: 

However I can’t help notice. I want to ask if your DX copy came with an upside down right leg fin? And also when you’re explaining the fixed locking tab on the DX nosecone, you mentioned ‘Yamato’ instead of Bandai. ^_^ 

I think I caused the flipped fin, surprised more people didn't comment on that. I didn't notice until the video had been up for a few days. I re shot the article pics but since it doesn't impact anything in the video to make it wrong I left that alone. If you watch any video you'll always find at least one goof... Sometimes more.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I think I caused the flipped fin, surprised more people didn't comment on that. I didn't notice until the video had been up for a few days. I re shot the article pics but since it doesn't impact anything in the video to make it wrong I left that alone. If you watch any video you'll always find at least one goof... Sometimes more.

Good to know. I was kind of worried that yours came upside down. And it was late last night for me to go up from the bed and recheck my DX VF-1's. ;) 

As for the goof stuff, I'm liking it. :good:

I just recently learned about the Bandai DX and have been playing catch-up.  I've got a DYRL VF-1S and the Max VF-1A en route.  I originally started collecting way back during the initial Yamato 1/60 waves.   I'm excited to get my hands on the Bandai Max TV type in particular.  By the time the Yamato 1/48 one was released - well, I was pretty disillusioned by Yamato's release phases and had bowed out.  It didn't help matters that my main supplier (Twin Moons Anime) was shutting down its operation, but even if they hadn't, I had run out of space and had other things to spend money on.

There is a lesson here somewhere, but damned if I can hear it over the cry of those DXs.  

Edited by Draykov

52 minutes ago, Draykov said:

I just recently learned about the Bandai DX and have been playing catch-up.  I've got a DYRL VF-1S and the Max VF-1A en route.  I originally started collecting way back during the initial Yamato 1/60 waves.   I'm excited to get my hands on the Bandai Max TV type in particular.  By the time the Yamato 1/48 one was released - well, I was pretty disillusioned by Yamato's release phases and had bowed out.  It didn't help matters that my main supplier (Twin Moons Anime) was shutting down its operation, but even if they hadn't, I had run out of space and had other things to spend money on.

There is a lesson here somewhere, but damned if I can hear it over the cry of those DXs.  

Nice pickups! The TV Max 1A is still my favorite out of what's out so far. Welcome back to the craze and post some pics when you get your new valks!

3 hours ago, DyNo said:

20200128-175337.jpg

Scored my first Max DX off Mandarake for 19,800yen new and unopened. Just received it today. 

3 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Congratulations!

That’s a great score for a great price.

DX Max for ¥20k is a deal.

The next DX that you can get in the price range is Messer/Hayate Movie 31f, however its in 1/60 scale not 1/48. 

I think there are a fair amount of 1/48 Yammies that are also in the range of ¥20k (valk only and maybe a Full Set version as well if they get listed). 

14 minutes ago, borgified said:

Good thing that I'm still up and I feel that someone is going to nab it! ^_^

Manda has DX VF-1S Hikaru for grabs (not opened, package damaged) for 30k yen

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1129404249&ref=list&keyword=%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9&lang=en

Another one for Y23000. ;)

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1129405718

Edit: Gone. That was quick for the Y23000.

Edited by no3Ljm