Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

21 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Honestly this is hard to believe. I haven't bought any of the Bandai 1/48's , happy with my Yamato's. So I don't know first hand, but the DX looks really nice and Bandai knows how to engineer toys..

I HAVE to believe that the next DX VF-1 toy Bandai sells will improve the leg pegs so that it works better with the strike parts.. and maybe those arm pegs also. Seems like it would be super simple to adjust their shape to make everything work better. Without the strike parts the backpack provides a redundant latch point that helps keep it together. 

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Honestly this is hard to believe. I haven't bought any of the Bandai 1/48's , happy with my Yamato's. So I don't know first hand, but the DX looks really nice and Bandai knows how to engineer toys..

I can't argue that it doesn't look nice, because it's beautiful, but while I know Bandai can engineer good toys, I cannot say that engineering was applied here in some ways.

What Bandai did not account for (as it has failed to do in soooo many of their Macross chogokins) is that things become massively unwieldy when you start stacking on the assorted add-on parts.  

I'm not going to say this is nearly as bad as some cases (I don't think anything will ever top the VF-31 armor packs for their over-the-top five-handed nature), but they made a few fairly clear missteps in their design of the base DX VF-1.

Spoilered for my tendency to go on long diatribes about mechanical design. ^_^ 

Spoiler

I have to be completely honest here.  It is utterly baffling that Bandai seems to have so much trouble making a solid VF-1, because this is not a new problem.  I've been irritated from the start by the inability of the HMR VF-1s to line up correctly in fighter mode, because it seems like the arms and legs and tail section are always fighting each other to hold onto the tabs they're given, as if everything was designed just slightly out of position.  It winds up twisting the legs outward, pulling the tails too far down, and throwing the gunpod out of alignment because the arms won't go high enough.

The 1/72 VF-1 models had some of the exact same problems.  The tabs for locking the legs to the backplate were molded in the wrong place, and it threw everything out of alignment.  I have not built one of those kits, and there may be more issues, but that is the one that sticks in my mind, because I watched someone write a tutorial for how to relocate the leg pins so the legs would line up correctly.

Now we get to the DX VF-1, and one of the very first teaser photos was throwing the exact same alarm bells, because, again, the legs were not aligned in fighter mode.  Thankfully, the full release didn't bear out that fault, but now we're right back in the same spot with the strike packs.  Bandai can't seem to master the positioning involved in getting the VF-1's legs, arms, and tail section to line up correctly.  The fighter holds together fine for the most part, but everything is non-locking smooth tabs again, and because of the sliding mechanism for the shoulders, aligning the arms to lock in solidly is a chore.

Throw the strike parts on there, and the alignment all goes to hell.  The leg packs don't properly mesh with the backplate, they just float halfway over the tab.  The arms can't be pressed fully onto their tabs, because they're barely connected to the lower legs by a tab I think can be measured in thicknesses of a human hair, and if you don't line them up perfectly, they just drift downward anyway, because the weight of the arm packs and gunpod is enough to dislodge the arms from the useless vertical pegs Bandai gave them to hold onto.  The booster packs don't quite feel solid, and while they probably aren't going anywhere, there's enough play in the backpack hinge that I hesitate to pick up the entire valk by them.

Compare this to the locking mechanisms used on the Yamato designs, especially the v.2 1/60.  Both the arms and legs were secured to the backplate in fighter mode by plastic tabs with hooks on them, and the positioning both with and without packs was rock solid.  Bandai's designs have so many sloppy connections, it feels like they're just afraid to commit to a solid attachment, and everything has to have wiggle room.  Well, that wiggle room, combined with the much higher weight of the DX VF-1, means that it feels incredibly unsteady in your hand, as if something is going to fall off or come loose at any moment.

Bottom line, the DX's heavy weight actually works against it in swooshability, because it just doesn't feel stable in your hand.  The way the legs and arms and backpack wobble around and don't lock in any particular position just means these will be staying as static displays, while my old Yamatos will be what I actually find myself fiddling with on a regular basis.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

I can't imagine why someone would have an extra one, but figured I would ask. Anyone have an extra Gun they want to sell? I want to do a dual wielding 80's action hero display/pose.

Arnold.jpg

You have three VF-1S, yes? Since it's just for display purposes, face the topside of the Fighter mode towards you more making the underside hidden from your view. Detach the gunpod and place it to the other hand of your Battroid mode.

Voila! :hi:

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

You have three VF-1S, yes? Since it's just for display purposes, face the topside of the Fighter mode towards you more making the underside hidden from your view. Detach the gunpod and place it to the other hand of your Battroid mode.

Voila! :hi:

I've got three more in boxes too.:shok:

I'm weird about stuff like that. There is something that drives me to "complete it right"? I'm not sure that that is. If I take a gun out of a boxed unit I would feel "unbalanced" or something. I really don't know how to explain it.

I'm the guy who has seven of the same hoodie, jeans, t shirts, etc, etc, etc. Everyone at the gym probably thinks I'm a dirtbag because I have the same thing on every day. What they don't know is I have five sets of identical gym gear. It's some sort of weird OCD thing or something. Or maybe I'm on the spectrum.

4 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm the guy who has seven of the same hoodie, jeans, t shirts, etc, etc, etc. Everyone at the gym probably thinks I'm a dirtbag because I have the same thing on every day. What they don't know is I have five sets of identical gym gear. It's some sort of weird OCD thing or something. Or maybe I'm on the spectrum.

Steve Jobs, is that you? Hehehe. :rolleyes:

From what you have described, you're a living anime character who doesn't change outfit in every episode. :lol:

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Steve Jobs, is that you? Hehehe. :rolleyes:

From what you have described, you're a living anime character who doesn't change outfit in every episode. :lol:

Keep in mind that being an anime dude also means he has a harem of good looking girls who all want him, but he's too much of a wuss to actually do anything with.

So, there's always a drawback. ;)

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Keep in mind that being an anime dude also means he has a harem of good looking girls who all want him, but he's too much of a wuss to actually do anything with.

So, there's always a drawback. ;)

Is two a harem?:D

8 hours ago, Bolt said:

I was just comparing it to my arcadia 1/60 vf-1s and arcadia’s method of latching the legs with ssp on is far better with a positive lock, I do want the DX to be as good or better but alas, it is what it is.

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

I've got three more in boxes too.:shok:

I'm weird about stuff like that. There is something that drives me to "complete it right"? I'm not sure that that is. If I take a gun out of a boxed unit I would feel "unbalanced" or something. I really don't know how to explain it.

I’m the same way with toys at least. Taking a part from one to give another makes one incomplete, even if just temporary. 

8 hours ago, myk said:

Ugh.  Tempting, but I'm holding out for Roy...

4 hours ago, claude grant said:

And I'm holding out for 1D, Virgin Road 1D, VT-1 & VE-1...

I'm also in the same place as you guys. Waiting for Roy and whatever valk gets released (especially Max's 1s if it gets made).

I'd totally aim for three VF-1Ds as well, just for the variety of display options. 

Course, then I'd feel the need to track down a 1/48 regult... :p  Actually, I wonder.. how tall would a Zentraedi grunt be in 1/48?  Might be able to get away with using a standard 8-to-12-inch figure.

5 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Actually, I wonder.. how tall would a Zentraedi grunt be in 1/48?  Might be able to get away with using a standard 8-to-12-inch figure.

Get a crappy 1/6 body (Very Cool/Coo Model/Dam Toys) and see if you can find a semi-armoured sci-fi suit to kit bash it.

My hope is they release a TV Kakizaki VF-1A so we can complete Vermillion. I would be content with that, especially if it's a TWE release. But Bandai seems to go out of their way to avoid completing any part of a line.

1/48 VF-1D for the first time would be fantastic, but preorder will probably be another bloodbath. The impossible preorders are becoming more and more of a turn off for me on the line.

Just getting into these myself and haven't been able to read all 391 prior pages of this thread so sorry if some of this has been brought up before.  Anyways, I'm curious how Bandai determines which VF-1 to release next or what add-ons/accessories to make.  Do they accept suggestions?  If so, I'd assume you'd likely need to be in Japan for it to mean much.  Anyways, seeing all the crazy armors they have made for the 1/60 line I am hoping they show the same love to the 1/48 line.

I assume the GBP armor is a given at some point.

vf-1j-gbp.gif.2bea4b9f56164aae9d2c793b5ee37971.gif

I hope they also do the VT-1 and VE-1.

vt-1-fastpack-fighter.gif.d74e2fc8b27a9f4da6eb1157cf31e1ad.gif

ve-1-fighter.gif.031f23cf299c7e5188f9fc418ddd11e3.gif

And thinking about some other options they could include.  Do you think they would consider the Stampede?

sdp-1-stampede-fighter.gif.e0146b0219c70eca61f07bdb0d63adf6.gif

Sdp-1-stampede-battroid.gif.8afd26fcd383e47dd247f8038916bf36.gif

What about the atmospheric booster?

vf-1-booster.gif.92afab3d3617d7f092bb4e88fa31512a.gif

Or the Gerwalk armor?  I'd love to see this sitting next to the GBP armor on my shelf someday.

VF-1AG.gif.a6b53d7cfec7a98057bada5718f690bc.gif

Or what about the Thunder Hummers armor?  I don't think this is considered cannon but that didn't stop FEXT from making their OWL One accessories.

ThunderHummers.png.09b24b566160dd187b028cfb6110c6fb.png

Any other add-ons you guys want to see considered?  Is it worth trying to get someone in Japan to make these suggestions through official channels?

Thanks,

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww
typo

The SSP set I ordered from AE *finally* arrived. They shipped it on 26 Dec, so it took almost a month to get here, but it did get here. SAL Small Packet shipments were sitting at the Tokyo airport for weeks due to a holiday traffic jam, I presume. I'm still waiting for a few items to show up that shipped from Tokyo during the week between Christmas and New Years.

The dx vf-1 has a nose cone that folds down without a radar inside, and the leg flaps fold flat, so Bandai has already designed this toy for the Gbp, it’s just a matter of time.  

the 1/60 chogokin line has had a lot of large radomes so it is probably a toy they can make in the future but no prototype has been displayed.  

@wwwmwww The GBP Armor is mostly likely in the works since the nose cone folding back is designed for it. 

A VE-1 & VT-1... one can hope. Though personally I'll take a VF-1D first as a 1/48 version is well overdue! 

As for the others you posted, highly unlikely if ever. Maybe members like @Xigfrid will take a swing at it one day but I can't see Bandai ever doing those. 

38 minutes ago, wwwmwww said:

Anyways, I'm curious how Bandai determines which VF-1 to release next or what add-ons/accessories to make.

Now you're really a MW member:lol:

39 minutes ago, wwwmwww said:

Do they accept suggestions?

Yes! From the CEO! Lol..

Some great suggestions @wwwmwww, I'd love to see Bandai even tease the Stampede, Fold booster or Thunder Hummers. But i soooo doubt it..

31 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Some great suggestions @wwwmwww, I'd love to see Bandai even tease the Stampede, Fold booster or Thunder Hummers. But i soooo doubt it..

Thanks.  Have we seen a VF-1 with a fold booster?  I don't recall ever seeing one.  If we have, would someone post a picture?

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

2 hours ago, wwwmwww said:

Thanks.  Have we seen a VF-1 with a fold booster?  I don't recall ever seeing one.  If we have, would someone post a picture?

Carl

The whole story for the SDF-1 was getting back to Earth because their fold drive got screwed over wasn't it? They didn't have the tech to equip VF-1s with folder boosters back then. Any appearance of the VF-1 in later anime were for airshow cameos only and not for fold combat hot dropping.

Not to mention that the engine output probably won't be sufficient for folding, since they need a booster just to get to orbit.

Edited by gabuyan