Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

11 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@HardlyNeverSand it completely smooth, with a fine grit sandpaper. 600 should do.  Give the hands little wash with Dawn dishwashing soap , don't touch them with your fingers after this!!!!  Stick them on a stick of some kind.  Oils from your skin are the devil when painting!  Then get some White Tamiya Surface Primer, prime it white with a few light coats. Then pick a Tamiya TS lacquer spray paint color that you like. (Tamiya Racing White is a very good off white color, I use it quite often).  Apply in light coats and let dry. Should do the trick just fine. You can then seal it if you wish with Tamiya Flat Clear  

Thanks for this!  As far as putting it on a stick, I guess I just use some blue tack or something?  I've seen set ups where they put the non-holding end of the stick in some styrofoam.  Any recommendations for tack?  

On 1/17/2020 at 12:44 PM, Guyffon said:

Thought NY fulfilled every vf-1S order already, but since ypurs have not yet been fulfilled, I suggest you drop them a mail about it

On 1/17/2020 at 4:13 PM, Slave IV said:

When did you order it?

That is interesting especially if it was an original preorder. 

This was the pre-order with the mark-up at 25k Yen. I got a mail on 8 December telling me that it is going to the logistics partner (keep in mind I use their Trans-Logistic scheme) and I would receive a tracking number within 48 hours.

A week and a half later still no tracking number, so I opened a case with NY basically telling me that their partner is overloaded due to Christmas and that it may take a bit. Since then nothing has happened.

Normally I am pretty patient and relaxed about these things. NY has come through for me on many occasions, so I don't want to dismiss them, but it is a bit unnerving that my order is sort of stuck in limbo.

1 hour ago, lechuck said:

This was the pre-order with the mark-up at 25k Yen. I got a mail on 8 December telling me that it is going to the logistics partner (keep in mind I use their Trans-Logistic scheme) and I would receive a tracking number within 48 hours.

A week and a half later still no tracking number, so I opened a case with NY basically telling me that their partner is overloaded due to Christmas and that it may take a bit. Since then nothing has happened.

Normally I am pretty patient and relaxed about these things. NY has come through for me on many occasions, so I don't want to dismiss them, but it is a bit unnerving that my order is sort of stuck in limbo.

if you haven't already, send them another note through their ticket system. i had that happen to one of my items 3 years ago. they never shipped it though i pre-ordered it. and i forgot about it myself. they magically shipped it prior to replying. 

Edited by davidwhangchoi

1 hour ago, lechuck said:

Ok so you ordered it a bit late but still pretty early on. I wouldn’t worry about it either but it would suck to wait this long. Personally, I would never pay their (Or anyone else’s) markup for anything that is a new product on the market so I won’t run into these issues but it is a good indicator that if you miss the initial round, you could expect delays. I actually had it in my cart at 25k when I somehow missed the initial price so I just abandoned the order.

16 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Awesome video out at Scorched Earth Toys comparing 1/48 Yamato to DX. Great job @jenius!

Thanks for posting that video.  I just might be convinced to give these bandai units a go...

47 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

No problem! I thought it was a great video.

It's funny. I don't think there is a clear cut winner. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's one of those what do you like? Chocolate or vanilla ice cream? We'll, they're both ice cream so they're both great. What flower tickles your fancy is purely a personal choice.

If I HAD to choose I personally think the DX has a slight edge though. 

I'm not dumping any of my Yamato 1/48's, that's for sure.

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

It's funny. I don't think there is a clear cut winner. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's one of those what do you like? Chocolate or vanilla ice cream? We'll, they're both ice cream so they're both great. What flower tickles your fancy is purely a personal choice.

Totally. I think nostalgia has something to do with it as well (even if others don’t admit it haha). I didn’t collect Macross when Yamato released the groundbreaking Valks for its time, so it has no bearing on me. If anything, my reference point are the 1/55 Valks. So, aside from the Yammie variants, DX is my choice.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

I would imagine weaknesses go to Yamato and strenghts go to Bandai.  at least, in build quality.   I'm glad I didn't get any 1/48 Yamato now.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:14 PM, borgified said:

Now it's the waiting game for the next DX VF-1 pre-orders... :mellow:

Anyone have an idea when the next pre-orders could be? I wanted a Hikaru, but honestly it's going for a 100+ over the original price. Hard to justify it.

41 minutes ago, Zaid said:

Anyone have an idea when the next pre-orders could be? I wanted a Hikaru, but honestly it's going for a 100+ over the original price. Hard to justify it.

Uncertain as for now. If there is the next announcement for the newest pre-order, this thread will be plastered up with the links for it and be the "Hot" item on the main index page.