Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 minute ago, Pontus said:

They're warm white LEDs, so that should be good. 

Thank you sir. Between just finding out Iran shot off all the missiles (and then finding out a little later they didn't really hit anything) and the potential of cooking my toys I was about to get stressed.:D

So it appears no WWIII and no cooked toys. It should be a good day today.

2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Interesting. My fixtures are for MR-11 bulbs. I just did a Google and didn't get anything in a MR-11 RGB. Can you maybe point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I was referring to products meant for theatre or architectural display, but the RGB LED color changing tape lights sold on Amazon might work.  You could stick them up in the corners of the display frame.  I don't think they make a MR-11 color changing bulb because it's too small and only has positive and ground.

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Thank you sir. Between just finding out Iran shot off all the missiles (and then finding out a little later they didn't really hit anything) and the potential of cooking my toys I was about to get stressed.:D

LMAO

17 minutes ago, sqidd said:

When you get drafted, I volunteer to look after your collections. 

One of many articles that come up when you Google "Do LED bulbs generate UV light?"

https://oeo.com/led-lights-emit-uv-radiation/

For the majority of LED light bulbs, in industrial applications and otherwise, they do not give off UV radiation. In earlier incarnations of LED lighting the reason they did not emit UV radiation was their inability to give off white light. However, since the advent of white light LEDs, this has changed. White light LED bulbs are created by coating brilliant blue LEDs in phosphor. This allows the blue to be absorbed and only allow the white to come through.

Although most types of LED lighting do not emit any UV light, brilliant blues do emit a small amount. However, the phosphor reduces this to such a small fraction of the already small amount, the amount emitted is essentially negligible. There is no need for a filter and this is why they are used in many environments where photosensitivity is a concern.

1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

One of many articles that come up when you Google "Do LED bulbs generate UV light?"

For the majority of LED light bulbs, in industrial applications and otherwise, they do not give off UV radiation. In earlier incarnations of LED lighting the reason they did not emit UV radiation was their inability to give off white light. However, since the advent of white light LEDs, this has changed. White light LED bulbs are created by coating brilliant blue LEDs in phosphor. This allows the blue to be absorbed and only allow the white to come through.

Although most types of LED lighting do not emit any UV light, brilliant blues do emit a small amount. However, the phosphor reduces this to such a small fraction of the already small amount, the amount emitted is essentially negligible. There is no need for a filter and this is why they are used in many environments where photosensitivity is a concern.

I was just about to post something similar. Most museums use LED because of this and if it is good enough that they think it is safe for ancient relics, it's good enough for me.

https://www.premierltg.com/do-led-lights-produce-uv-led-tanning-beds/ 

I'll throw this in as well:  When looking at how to whiten old plastic toys (i.e. Matchbox SDF-1), the UV light is what activates the ingredients (i.e. developer) and whitens the toy.  Researching it, I found there are UV LED lights you can purchase and use for this process instead of direct sunlight.

The point is that these are specific UV LED lights.  Regular LED won't work and don't give off UV.  An example of ones that do are for growing plants.

3 hours ago, Pontus said:

I was referring to products meant for theatre or architectural display, but the RGB LED color changing tape lights sold on Amazon might work.  You could stick them up in the corners of the display frame.  I don't think they make a MR-11 color changing bulb because it's too small and only has positive and ground.

Roger dodger, thanks!

40 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Well played sir, well played.:hi:

35 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I'll throw this in as well:  When looking at how to whiten old plastic toys (i.e. Matchbox SDF-1), the UV light is what activates the ingredients (i.e. developer) and whitens the toy.  Researching it, I found there are UV LED lights you can purchase and use for this process instead of direct sunlight.

The point is that these are specific UV LED lights.  Regular LED won't work and don't give off UV.  An example of ones that do are for growing plants.

Eh, the specialty UV LEDs (we use some where I work) are some pretty severe UV. Very high amounts, to the point they require UV filtering eyewear and at least one needed a heatsink due to the wattage it was using.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

5 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Eh, the specialty UV LEDs (we use dome where I work) are some pretty severe UV. Very high amounts, to the point they require UV filtering eyewear and at least one needed a heatsink due to the wattage it was using.

Yeah, I don't use artificial UV LEDs to whiten.  Good 'ole sun works just fine haha. 8)

4 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Ever since the beginning of time we started collecting plastic toys, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

681870156_Eversincethebeginningoftimemanhasyearnedtodestroythesun.gif.af263c385eaba55ae6882a677ba38ca4.gif

LMAO, very apropos.  It's ironic that the very thing we hide our Valks from is the thing we bask it in if a vintage item is already yellowed.  (I'm actually doing it right now on a Mini-SDF-1 that I got off of Robotech.com a month or so ago.)

21 hours ago, beatsing said:

Or maybe a fertility idol since there's a female image (Minmay) that's associated with all these crude objects that roughly resemble the human body form (battroid), a chicken(gerwalk), and an arrow(fighter).  Notice how the "Yamato" doll has an exaggerated large phallus.  We think these were for rituals for fertility.  

Good point

17 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my misleading info.  I read "a small amount" and thought that having even a small amount would add up over time in a display cabinet that's lit much of the time.  But I just checked with my lighting engineer who said the fact that they use them in museums is testament to how little they put out.  So LEDs are great, although I usually hate LED lighting because the light is usually very limited to certain bands of color which hurts my eyes.  High CRI (color rendering index) bulbs don't bother me, so I go out of my way to find them.  My favorite right now are the Cree brand that they sell at Home Despot.  Most other brands don't even list the CRI rating anymore, but it's an important factor in buying LED lights.

2 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my misleading info.  I read "a small amount" and thought that having even a small amount would add up over time in a display cabinet that's lit much of the time.  But I just checked with my lighting engineer who said the fact that they use them in museums is testament to how little they put out.  So LEDs are great, although I usually hate LED lighting because the light is usually very limited to certain bands of color which hurts my eyes.  High CRI (color rendering index) bulbs don't bother me, so I go out of my way to find them.  My favorite right now are the Cree brand that they sell at Home Despot.  Most other brands don't even list the CRI rating anymore, but it's an important factor in buying LED lights.

LED's are sooooo complicated. I had to put LED drivers in two of my cabs then get bulbs that didn't hurt my eyes. I started knowing nothing of LED's. By the time I was done I've got an "associates" degree in it. I really didn't want to know that much!:D

Now CRI ratings, sheesh!:rofl:

4 minutes ago, sqidd said:

LED's are sooooo complicated. I had to put LED drivers in two of my cabs then get bulbs that didn't hurt my eyes. I started knowing nothing of LED's. By the time I was done I've got an "associates" degree in it. I really didn't want to know that much!:D

Now CRI ratings, sheesh!:rofl:

CRI is probably the most important factor when buying white LEDs, especially for display.  But most bulbs don't list it because it's a direct number that pretty much indicates quality that they have skimped on.  If you look at the individual LED driver components that they make bulbs with, CRI is required in the data sheet for engineering.  The best LEDs are made by Cree and Philips, but there's a lot of chinese producers making cheap ones that get used in most LED bulbs.  Frankly, I think cheap white LEDs are dangerous because, if you look at just one frequency of light, it can harm your retina because, in order to get enough light in fewer frequencies, it has to be a lot brighter in those frequencies than your eyes are telling you it is.

After two to three pages of comparison, quality, fertility, and LEDs... now my head hurts. :sorry:

Kidding aside, it’s great to read these info. :good:

C’mon Bandai, when is your next PO sched? Make it Hikaru’s VF-1A so that I’m done with this line. :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

C’mon Bandai, when is your next PO sched?

Duuuude.  I was just thinking the same and about to post/whine about it.  I'm jones'ing.  I NEED MY FIX!  Been too long since I've been pissed off on PO night.  Plus, I'm getting ready for the drinking game.

52 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Duuuude.  I was just thinking the same and about to post/whine about it.  I'm jones'ing.  I NEED MY FIX!  Been too long since I've been pissed off on PO night.  Plus, I'm getting ready for the drinking game.

Hahaha! :lol: It's funny that I whine that knowing that I just spent some amount on WuMing Freedom and a DMZ Scopedog. I told myself not to spend too much since I'm preparing myself on the upcoming Legioss and if ever Bandai decided to really release the DXSoC Voltes V. Just wish that these will get released soon before there will be a new Macross series. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ErikElvis said:

I use to think that the 1S’s were the cool valk. But I think I switched to thinking the 1A is cooler. 

Agreed. I didn't like the 1A before until Hikaru's DYRL 1A. ^_^ 

Like their HMR VF-1D, it would be nice if it comes with a Minmay figure to recreate this:

965338281_ScreenShot2020-01-09at9_15.jpg.868cbcab018bcdb0567fe06881b3555b.jpg

580724213_ScreenShot2020-01-09at9_16.jpg.6b03fc3b4bcca9b34b6e6e0ab7f0c4f7.jpg

617753446_ScreenShot2020-01-09at9_19.jpg.57fa834b7e0053057ed22a8b4bd77433.jpg

22 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

best shelf warmer ever. then Kaki.

I don't think it's going to happen in this line. ;) 

1 minute ago, 505thAirborne said:

I want to see Bandai do the Cannon Fodder VF-1A. B))

And I want to see Bandai do the Cannon Fodder VF-1J as well. They already have the molds. All they need now is to paint it brown. 8)

Who knows, maybe this time, I might consider buying that beyond from my planned exclusive Hikaru's DX VF-1's. :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

And I want to see Bandai do the Cannon Fodder VF-1J as well. They already have the molds. All they need now is to paint it brown. 8)

Who knows, maybe this time, I might consider buying that beyond from my planned exclusive Hikaru's DX VF-1's. :rolleyes:

I'd get a VF-1J CF if they make it. ;)

If for some crazy reason Bandai should do an Angel Bird & Cavaliers, then that would be it for me with this DX line, I have everything else I want with the Yamato 1/48's. B))

47 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

So wait, now we want them to have the terrible paint that everyone is complaining about chipping off in the Arcadia thread before they even get the figure?:p

Oh yeah, I forgot I was on MW where they are screwing us by giving us beautifully painted showpieces and if they don’t paint it, they are overcharging us for cheap colored plastic. :D

I’ll take them either way and be happy!

Edited by Slave IV

41 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I don't think it's going to happen in this line. ;) 

if they only print 250 and make a lottery. the max 1a is already a semi shelf warmer. Bandai overestimated demand and printed too many.  

the yamato  1.48 made chronicle exclusive kaki, if they pull a limited maneuver, it'll be saved. though it won't change the reality that it won't sell as many copies, only just making it desirable by making so little. 

that HMR hik 1a is still the best shelf warmer, nobody wants it. 

27 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

I'd get a VF-1J CF if they make it. ;)

If for some crazy reason Bandai should do an Angel Bird & Cavaliers, then that would be it for me with this DX line, I have everything else I want with the Yamato 1/48's. B))

Oooo and I could go for a vf-x with the angel Bird. that would be hot.

@no3Ljmyeah bring on the 1a and 1j mass production^_^   

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! :lol: It's funny that I whine that knowing that I just spent some amount on WuMing Freedom and a DMZ Scopedog. I told myself not to spend too much since I'm preparing myself on the upcoming Legioss and if ever Bandai decided to really release the DXSoC Voltes V. Just wish that these will get released soon before there will be a new Macross series. 

Yeah man.  I'm addicted.  I'm so antsy waiting for the next Macross release that I just picked up some KitzConcept stuff.  Also, I hunted down all of the Toynami Robotech action figures on clearance at GameStop by asking Alexa to give me random zip codes and calling any store that came up in the search on their site.  I really like the hunt of it. HA.

The problem with these 1/48 DX's is that they are so damn big.  I'll collect all of the SDFM and DYRL, but I'm not going to have room for it all.  I'd much rather them be 1/60.  I have the whole Delta crew in a retail case right now and will likely have to move the DYRL crew there over the next year or so as they're released.  But then I'm not sure what the hell I'll do with my Siege Omega Supreme....  Maybe I can force my kids to share a room and take over one of the rooms for a full on collectors space? :diablo::rofl:

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

I’ll take them either way and be happy!

There you go sir! And welcome once again for being in MacrossWorld. :lol: 

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

that HMR hik 1a is still the best shelf warmer, nobody wants it. 

Oooo and I could go for a vf-x with the angel Bird. that would be hot.

@no3Ljmyeah bring on the 1a and 1j mass production^_^   

Does the HMR Hikaru 1A became a shelf warmer due to the leg armor error? Can't remember since I didn't follow most of the HMR figures. ^_^ 

And yes @davidwhangchoi, bring on those both mass production ones. ;) 

6 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Yeah man.  I'm addicted.  I'm so antsy waiting for the next Macross release that I just picked up some KitzConcept stuff.  Also, I hunted down all of the Toynami Robotech action figures on clearance at GameStop by asking Alexa to give me random zip codes and calling any store that came up in the search on their site.  I really like the hunt of it. HA.

The problem with these 1/48 DX's is that they are so damn big.  I'll collect all of the SDFM and DYRL, but I'm not going to have room for it all.  I'd much rather them be 1/60.  I have the whole Delta crew in a retail case right now and will likely have to move the DYRL crew there over the next year or so as they're released.  But then I'm not sure what the hell I'll do with my Siege Omega Supreme....  Maybe I can force my kids to share a room and take over one of the rooms for a full on collectors space? :diablo::rofl:

I believe @Shizuka the Cat is selling her Toynamis. Unless you're looking for a different Toynami figures. :good:

Also, I think it's about time to get a bigger house. What do you think? :rolleyes: