Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

42 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Your toys in pictures look better than mine in real life!

Dude you gotta get FEXT like the one in the pic. Our boy @Saburo helped design it.

I find going through these guys is easier because when I order direct it takes forever to get through customs: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideInStock=false&HidePreorder=false&HideSoldOut=true&InventoryStatus=i%2Cp&Company=928&PageSize=50&SortOrder=New&ProductType=299&Department=7399

But you can go to their website directly too.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

That’s the best price you are going to get. MSRP I think is 8800 yen but you have to pay tax, which puts it over 9200 already without shipping. NY offers fantastic deals on TWE items. 

8800yen MSRP includes tax, so NY is charging 400 to cover local shipping and their own profit margin/costs.

Still a good deal, it's cheaper than buying singles through a proxy (as they charge domestic shipping +300yen per order).

Edited by Sanity is Optional

3 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Dude you gotta get FEXT like the one in the pic. Our boy @Saburo helped design it.

I find going through these guys is easier because when I order direct it takes forever to get through customs: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideInStock=false&HidePreorder=false&HideSoldOut=true&InventoryStatus=i%2Cp&Company=928&PageSize=50&SortOrder=New&ProductType=299&Department=7399

But you can go to their website directly too.

I've been himmin and hawwin on getting some. I'm just not sure if I would get any actual use out of it. My displays don't "meld" very well with it. I have been considering getting one to "line" the bottom shelf of one of my cases that has HMR's in it to see how it turns out though.

Displays.jpg

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I've been himmin and hawwin on getting some. I'm just not sure if I would get any actual use out of it. My displays don't "meld" very well with it. I have been considering getting one to "line" the bottom shelf of one of my cases that has HMR's in it to see how it turns out though.

Displays.jpg

If you got two or three sets it would fit on one of those shelves.

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Displays.jpg

I want that GORG! :shok:

20 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

If you got two or three sets it would fit on one of those shelves.

That's what I was thinking. I did a little preliminary math and it looks like the way the sections stack up it will fit in there without much "slop". I've been considering doing two of the bottom shelves for HMR's. 

22 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I want that GORG! :shok:

Yeah buddy! That was a grail item for me. I was on the lookout for MONTHS for that guy. It popped up on Jungle for very reasonable money and I snapped it up. It really is a great looking toy. A buddy of mine who is an artist was in town last week and the second he walked into my office he made a bee line for the Gorg. He knows nothing about toys, anime, etc. He just knew that as a piece of "art" it really did it for him.

Jungle has a sealed one for 55K Yen. Which for what it is isn't unfair.

https://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/products/detail/322354

Edited by sqidd

21 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'm a man-child who loves giant robots.

LOL

21 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Well, I think for some of us we collect for various reasons and it’s not just to collect.

My tendencies are as a hobbyist:

- Collect the series or buy what I like. I usually do the former for most of my purchases.

- Nostagia. New and vintage.

- Mechanical design and visual appeal.

- MIB, open and play, display, customize, whatever comes to mind when purchasing. And method exercised during purchases usually leads to multiples.

- Buy extras for the kids to play with aside from what I buy for myself. 

- Army build, to mostly customize.

While I do like to collect, my display itself is limited by me as don’t want to display everything all at once or I feel I would get bored of it. Cycling my collection throughout the year helps keep things fresh and appealing no matter the age or subject.

My collection has a purpose, to basically tell a visual story of what I like and who I am. I think that’s how most collectors are.

This is basically the kind of collector I want to be, I just don't have the stamina to do it.  I can't put in enough time to organize, design and display my collection in a way that automatically bestows admiration and jealousy in the eyes of an admirer as they lovingly pass through (le sigh).  Nope.  Can't do it and don't care.  What I do instead is gorge myself on the best of the lot when I have the money to spend, obsess over the crap I don't have money to spend on, and pine over the one(s) that got away.  I've literally lost lives (or perhaps, future wives) over this.  LOL.  But hey, it's all good.

23 hours ago, sqidd said:

There is a third kind of collector. I'm what I would define as a "art" collector (I have a lot of actual art too). Not very much of what I have as far as toys goes is about being tied to a show/characters (aside from SDFM). I get toys because I think they're pleasing to my eye. I can't say I even enjoy transforming them for transformation sake. For me it's all about the presentation/display. Transformation/posing is a tool to complete that goal. For most toys if it has multiple modes, I get one for each mode and display them simultaneously. If I'm not too turned on by a mode I don't get one for that. I very, very rarely change my displays up once they're done. 

-I don't buy for nostalgia (aside from SDFM).

-I don't buy for character tie ins.

-I don't have any drive to finish a line/set. If there are six in a series and I really dig two, I get just those two.

-I don't have anything I don't display.

-I don't buy to "play with". I barely have time to un-box/transform/display as it is.

I'm not passing judgement on any form of collecting. I understand the drives for all of them. I just do it the way I do it because it makes me happy to look at them.

And this is basically the collector I am (absent the lack of nostalgia and the display part).  I think I buy the vintage toys for the nostalgia bit (but also the amazing variety of characters they had - which matters when it comes to nostalgia, and also when it comes to the older cartoons when they actually had characters and storylines that were more appealing; now, it's another story).  And I buy for the swank design and engineering for the modern "toys."  To be perfectly honest with you, I think we're witnessing a large-scale paralysis in the ability of our modern storytellers to come up with anything new.  Most of all in Hollywood, but I think it's affecting the traditional robot craze in Japanese anime.  When was the last time you saw an Evangalion, or Voltron, or Optimus Prime.  So the characters definitely matter more to me when it comes to the vintage toys, but not so much the modern ones.  I can pass on six different versions of a VF-31, whose characters bear only a passing resemblance to the Roy Fockers and Rick Hunters of old.  But doing the same for Sunstreaker, Sideswipe and Red Alert is a different story (if I had the money!).

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

That's what I was thinking. I did a little preliminary math and it looks like the way the sections stack up it will fit in there without much "slop". I've been considering doing two of the bottom shelves for HMR's. 

Hey, do you mind sharing what kind of display shelves you use? Looks like a nice way to set up teams of valks.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:00 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

Well, I think for some of us we collect for various reasons and it’s not just to collect.

My tendencies are as a hobbyist:

- Collect the series or buy what I like. I usually do the former for most of my purchases.

- Nostagia. New and vintage.

- Mechanical design and visual appeal.

- MIB, open and play, display, customize, whatever comes to mind when purchasing. And method exercised during purchases usually leads to multiples.

- Buy extras for the kids to play with aside from what I buy for myself. 

- Army build, to mostly customize.

While I do like to collect, my display itself is limited by me as don’t want to display everything all at once or I feel I would get bored of it. Cycling my collection throughout the year helps keep things fresh and appealing no matter the age or subject.

My collection has a purpose, to basically tell a visual story of what I like and who I am. I think that’s how most collectors are.

Well said.  I collect for a lot of the same reasons.

2 hours ago, bleecher said:

Looking for the name of the shelf units. Don't see it?

I’m just guessing it here. I google’d it, and it somehow looks like what Sqidd’s has. Of course, until Sqidd can confirms it. :) 

https://www.displays2go.com/P-20118/Locking-Showcase-featuring-Tempered-Glass-Supported-by-A-Black-Aluminum-Frame

F15E9B42-CB95-4DA8-9191-696F09EDF77C.jpeg.b2806522c367c2aee897cb71181f7e8c.jpeg

5 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

To be perfectly honest with you, I think we're witnessing a large-scale paralysis in the ability of our modern storytellers to come up with anything new.  Most of all in Hollywood, but I think it's affecting the traditional robot craze in Japanese anime.  When was the last time you saw an Evangalion, or Voltron, or Optimus Prime.  

What is so disappointing about this is that since the beginning of time stories that resonate with people have essentially been the same thing with variations. The "hero's tale" for example. So as humans we actually like the same story thread. Overcome adversity, redemption, save the day, etc. Yet, the entertainment industry as a whole somehow can't even do that right. I agree, good storytelling is harder to find.

Also kind of funny you ask when is the last time you saw a Optimus Prime. That show was created (I'm talking about the 80's cartoon) as an advertising tool to sell toys. Somehow that stands out as good storytelling in this day and age. That doesn't say much for modern show creators at all. They can't even equal advertising.

And yeah, Evangalion. No way something like that gets financed in this day and age. Or the Matrix for that matter (not comparing the two). The entertainment industry is incredibly risk adverse now despite making record profits.

4 hours ago, bleecher said:

Looking for the name of the shelf units. Don't see it?

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I’m just guessing it here. I google’d it, and it somehow looks like what Sqidd’s has. Of course, until Sqidd can confirms it. :) 

https://www.displays2go.com/P-20118/Locking-Showcase-featuring-Tempered-Glass-Supported-by-A-Black-Aluminum-Frame

F15E9B42-CB95-4DA8-9191-696F09EDF77C.jpeg.b2806522c367c2aee897cb71181f7e8c.jpeg

Very close. It's that cab but with the LED lights. Here is a link:

https://www.displays2go.com/P-33985/LED-Trophy-Cabinet-Locking-Door

6 hours ago, sqidd said:

That actually looks really good. The blue in the supers really works on Max.

Waiting for a DX VF-1s Max (if it gets made) for my 1s valks. The Max/Hayao 1a is my other choice.

1 hour ago, Matt Random said:

Does anyone know the total dimension of the side/back panels for a single FEXT set? For example, to be used to line the back of a cabinet as is being discussed here.

Did you peek in the Fext Hobby Thread for the dimensions of the Sci-fi 03/04 panels? I think @DYRL VF-1S or someone else can help you in getting the info. 

3 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

So is there a reason why Bandai applied the bomb markings in two different orientations?

C5256ACA-0D4A-4F2B-858C-39ED437D309B.jpeg

Are your inner armaments attached correctly? If you swap them on the pylon will they be correctly marked like the outer armament? :p

Well yes, but aren’t these all supposed to display in the same orientation as the outer bomb?

So really, the hard point connected is to blame.

Or at least that’s what I recall from lineart, anime, and many other macross renditions of toys and models.

The more I look at these DX the more I keep finding issues that irk me, but don’t get me wrong it is a beautiful piece with so many inconsistencies that it makes me wonder if it was even worth it.

CAF4C3E6-45BF-4505-AD74-3545217921E9.jpeg

Edited by nightmareB4macross
Added pic for reference.

42 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Well yes, but aren’t these all supposed to display in the same orientation as the outer bomb?

So really, the hard point connected is to blame.

Or at least that’s what I recall from lineart, anime, and many other macross renditions of toys and models.

The more I look at these DX the more I keep finding issues that irk me, but don’t get me wrong it is a beautiful piece with so many inconsistencies that it makes me wonder if it was even worth it.

Switch the missiles on the double-hardpoint around and the icons will match the standalone missile.

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

Switch the missiles on the double-hardpoint around and the icons will match the standalone missile.

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

I understand, but it still doesn’t correct the issue so all the bomb markings are standing the same when they are all mounted.

4 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I understand, but it still doesn’t correct the issue so all the bomb markings are standing the same when they are all mounted.

No, it in fact does. I will take pictures and demonstrate that it does when I get home.

Description with words:

1. Remove the missiles from the double-hardpoint.
  2. Put the missile that was on the left side onto the right side.
  3. Put the missile that was on the right side onto the left side.
  4. Now your double-missile hardpoint's missiles will have their icons facing the proper direction.
Edited by Sanity is Optional

12 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai vs Yamato

49324214458_3f66a652da_o.jpg

Were you able to get the Bandai to lock into it's stand adapter? Mine is just sorta hanging out on the adapter. It's not the most secure thing in the world. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Were you able to get the Bandai to lock into it's stand adapter? Mine is just sorta hanging out on the adapter. It's not the most secure thing in the world. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean. I just stuck i on there, and the upper part kinda goes around the hip bars. It won't go any further than what's pictured above.

Couple more side by side pics (phone pics this time).

954171951_DXVF-1SHikaru011.thumb.jpg.a5b5d832be62b844f504aa87e5470e8b.jpg

1162981468_DXVF-1SHikaru012.thumb.jpg.ff95dcb6c0a80121114ce2e2b40cfc54.jpg