Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

12 hours ago, Saburo said:

I am curious on how they will release the Roy's VF-1S.  Seeing that the DYRL has some different and extra tampo compared to the SDFM. I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai were release a SDFM and a DYRL version.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll release both TV and DYRL versions of Roy's VF-1S. Maybe even a third one with Hikaru's tampo on it, even if it is just a difference in marking. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't think they'd pass up the opportunity to sell the same figure several times.

I'd like to get at least one of 'em, though.

5 minutes ago, Drad said:

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll release both TV and DYRL versions of Roy's VF-1S. Maybe even a third one with Hikaru's tampo on it, even if it is just a difference in marking. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't think they'd pass up the opportunity to sell the same figure several times.

I'd like to get at least one of 'em, though.

We all think the same until Bandai does what the unthinkable (yf-30 schemes)

@Lolicon

Impressive work and that plastic cover of that base really diffuses the light. Looks real good for a phone cam

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Touched up my Hikaru 1S a bit since it was still missing some important details.

Phone pics for now. :rolleyes:

242959244_DXVF-1SHikaru001.jpg.c54136ebaf954329c572da27274a0dfc.jpg

1801145651_DXVF-1SHikaru002.jpg.eac44284d4ae290c40fb6545e3b36c20.jpg

643050245_DXVF-1SHikaru003.jpg.c333a16b52b34a7d0a94f29a1483e2da.jpg

296094425_DXVF-1SHikaru004.jpg.7e845f2b39d201a02f40a87ee8cf8b1b.jpg

Looks sharp! What did you add besides the Skulls behind the cockpit?  (I am at work and don't have my toy onhand to compare)

I don;t remember the triangle warning below the cockpit being on the toy but it could be foggy memory.

19 hours ago, sqidd said:

For the amount of work/talent that goes into something like that I think it's a bargain. That's about $20/hr. High skill labor like this is usually a LOT more per hour. When I was doing suspension tuning (race car stuff) I was $250/hr. plus expenses (travel was usually involved). Good tattoo artists charge $100-200/hr. Heck, your local car dealer charges $100/hr+ in labor to just change parts (zero creativity factor).

Still yowza though.:p

That's gorgeous!

The price is a lot of money, but certainly for the amount of hours that goes into it, its probably fairer to the customer than the artist. (I don't do a lot of art for commission for that reason... too much of a perfectionist to break even!)

I wonder what kind of paints LEK uses. I'm guessing if he hasn't found some magic elixir these can't be transformed much without serious damage. And if he HAS.. man I'd like to know what kind so I could repaint my yellowed Yamatos!

8 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Impressive work and that plastic cover of that base really diffuses the light. Looks real good for a phone cam

Thanks! I'll try to break out the DSLR and tripod later if I have time. :)

3 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Photos are looking good!  I need to get some better lighting for my shots.

Oh and the detailing is nice too :lol:

Me too. My lighting is still fairly primitive (some tracing paper taped over some desk lamps). :lol:

2 hours ago, lavinrac said:

Looks sharp! What did you add besides the Skulls behind the cockpit?  (I am at work and don't have my toy onhand to compare)

I don;t remember the triangle warning below the cockpit being on the toy but it could be foggy memory.

Bandai added the ejection seat tampo for this release, finally. Aside from the skulls, there's just a few miscellaneous details that the Arcadia has but Bandai skipped on their releases, like jack points that are actually underneath the aircraft. :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai added the ejection seat tampo for this release, finally. Aside from the skulls, there's just a few miscellaneous details that the Arcadia has but Bandai skipped on their releases, like jack points that are actually underneath the aircraft. :rolleyes:

For the small skull tampo near the pilot, what did you use? Decal from a Hasegawa kit or something else?

14 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

The skull came off a third party grey market decal sheet I got from ebay. There's tons of such decals available on there.

Thank you. I'll look into it. 

5 minutes ago, 007-vf1 said:

For the ones who were wondering; just got confirmation of shipping at NY. 

It took them this long to ship it.

They finally got funding from the 0D PF payments to get you your DX1S. ;)

11 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Touched up my Hikaru 1S a bit since it was still missing some important details.

Phone pics for now. :rolleyes:

242959244_DXVF-1SHikaru001.jpg.c54136ebaf954329c572da27274a0dfc.jpg

1801145651_DXVF-1SHikaru002.jpg.eac44284d4ae290c40fb6545e3b36c20.jpg

643050245_DXVF-1SHikaru003.jpg.c333a16b52b34a7d0a94f29a1483e2da.jpg

296094425_DXVF-1SHikaru004.jpg.7e845f2b39d201a02f40a87ee8cf8b1b.jpg

Great shots Lolicon!  What a difference it makes to have the gears in white.  Might I suggest you painting that shock struct bright chromed silver, it does take it to the next level.

3 hours ago, SpaceCowboy said:

Hmm....I'm 7030XX and still NY hasn't filled my order...I really hate dealing with NY.  I swore them off after the VF-31A fiasco, but was swayed that that was just a one off and they always come through.  We'll see...

I was at 703XXXX as well, Mine went into preparing shipment this morning.

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Great shots Lolicon!  What a difference it makes to have the gears in white.  Might I suggest you painting that shock struct bright chromed silver, it does take it to the next level.

I will as soon as I get some silver paint that's actually silver and not glitter. Tamiya silver kinda sucks haha

13 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I will as soon as I get some silver paint that's actually silver and not glitter. Tamiya silver kinda sucks haha

I don't have a DX to know what's possible here, but I had the same problem with my Aliens Cat Power Loader.  The hydraulics looked awful because they used really crummy silver paint (which they then tried to "weather" the same as the rest of it... which also sucked).  I took it apart and am looking for some shiny wire or rods to replace the pistons.  My local hobby store had some nice, shiny aluminum wire but it wasn't big enough.  It would have been great for this application though... if you don't mind hacking up your DX a bit.

5 minutes ago, Pontus said:

I don't have a DX to know what's possible here, but I had the same problem with my Aliens Cat Power Loader.  The hydraulics looked awful because they used really crummy silver paint (which they then tried to "weather" the same as the rest of it... which also sucked).  I took it apart and am looking for some shiny wire or rods to replace the pistons.  My local hobby store had some nice, shiny aluminum wire but it wasn't big enough.  It would have been great for this application though... if you don't mind hacking up your DX a bit.

The landing gear is one solid diecast piece aside from the wheels and tow bar, so no I won't be cutting or hacking anything apart lol

30 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Give Molotow Liquid Chrome a shot. I use it when building models, and it'll actually come out a very nice chrome.

Unfortunately it dries slow and is damaged easily, so best used in areas that aren't touched.

2 hours ago, Pontus said:

You need hydraulic pistons/shafts for that power loader? PM me some dimensions. I may be able to make you some out of stainless steel. Then you can polish them.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I use the Tamiya silver paint marker, I push down on it to retract the felt tip to get a pool going in a plastic lid, then dip my brush in it to paint from it (its a lacquer so you can thin it if you need to, but its a very smooth chrome finish without any visible glitter speckles).

Received my S from NY today. Not seeing any QC issues. The swing bar didn't come undone during transformation like it tends to with my J. Guess I should probably pry open the landing gear doors to make sure the landing gear parts are present.

Funny how Bandai says that they reversed the numbering on the tail for symmetry whereas they left the leg fins as they are where the (correct) lack of symmetry is very obvious in battroid mode.

Edited by Matt Random

7 hours ago, wm cheng said:

I use the Tamiya silver paint marker, I push down on it to retract the felt tip to get a pool going in a plastic lid, then dip my brush in it to paint from it (its a lacquer so you can thin it if you need to, but its a very smooth chrome finish without any visible glitter speckles).

Okay, in that case I have some Tamiya silver spray I guess I can decant and use to brush on... will need some thinner/retarder to hide my brush strokes because I don't have the steadiest hands. :lol:

40005657.jpg.67e01d65f9456be771f0d394373ffc0b.jpg

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

Wow that white landing gear really makes a gigantic difference. I am personally not a fan of the gray metal they chose. Really makes the valks pop again in fighter mode. Thank you for showing us what was possible!

S

Thanks! Yeah I don't like how Bandai chooses to use 80s style bare diecast landing gear on a modern premium toy. It'd be like buying a brand new sports car with the suspension and tires of a Model T Ford. :o