Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

10 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

That explains some mistransformed parts in the pics, but that is some really nice 1Ses you have there

I was in a hurry and starving. There is still a ton of work to do in there. At best that's a rough draft.:good:

Edited by sqidd

7 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

Nice! If I order 4 I can get a $125 discount each! (Don't mind me. that just jealousy in my voice :D

Just curious but have you considered Moducase?

Wow!!! I've never seen those.

I did pretty good on two of those cases. I got the first two used for about $1000 (for both) and a 8hr round trip drive. I got the third at retail. I unfortunately have room for one more. eventually I'll probably give in.

Edited by sqidd

I think so. I have 3 DF30's on order which are 24"Lx24"Hx12D" that I plan to mount to a wall either horizontally or vertically. They do come in a variety of sizes and can be made to order. Lego's UC's are pretty large kits and these seem to work fine. Downside is that they seem to be pretty expensive and use acrylic and not glass. Do some research!

df60-display-case-moducase-904254-03__74601.1545455330.jpg.d4466a3948cf0fe150f32989f932fbe1.jpg

There's also a lot of images posted on their facebook page as well as some youtube video reviews.

Edited by Grey728

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Plenty.:D

I kinda like the 1J naked (at least for now). It's very clean looking without a ton of color going on.

I just got the Fighter and Gerwalk 1S's out of the box tonight in a short window. They're just kinda chucked in the cabinet. That entire shelf needs work. And hopefully I see strike packs in 4 weeks or so. Then I'll be back at zero again getting everything where I want it.

with the head design and generally more realistic base color, i've always felt the 1j to be the most 'realistic' aircraft paint scheme.  other than going to a true low viz.  'champing' for those strike packs in dec...!

Having displayed them only in fighter mode for some time, I finally transformed a copy of the VF-1 fully to battroid. I wish I had done it sooner, because what a blast it is in battroid!

Although there were earlier comments that Bandai's interpretation of this 1/48 is not as big a leap as compared to when Yamato's 1/48 first came out, there are enough small improvements that makes it a whole lot better in sum. The heft, the solidness, the joint tightness have generally been well touched upon, but I'm most impressed with the leg articulation it offers.

The new sideway pivoting hip joint is subtle, but allows such great & natural-looking posing options. The other thing noticeable from all other previous VF-1 interpretations, whether  the Yamcadias or HMRs, is that the folded-up wings at the back are located slightly further away from the torso. This allows more clearance for the hip to swing further forward, enough for most dynamic poses, without having to 'cheat' by engaging the gerwalk joints. Just these two improvements alone seem to allow almost any posing options we see in the anime, and that is still without using the new rotating waist feature.

I only hope the hip ball joints doesn't go all loosey goosey by itself like the Bandai Frontier renewal toys over time..

2 hours ago, Grey728 said:

I think so. I have 3 DF30's on order which are 24"Lx24"Hx12D" that I plan to mount to a wall either horizontally or vertically. They do come in a variety of sizes and can be made to order. Lego's UC's are pretty large kits and these seem to work fine. Downside is that they seem to be pretty expensive and use acrylic and not glass. Do some research!

df60-display-case-moducase-904254-03__74601.1545455330.jpg.d4466a3948cf0fe150f32989f932fbe1.jpg

There's also a lot of images posted on their facebook page as well as some youtube video reviews.

Wow! great suggestion @Grey728

2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Not to get off topic, but @borgified recommended I look at Craigslist sometime ago. Found a retail case for $25, got it painted for like $250 and spent like $35 on LED lights.

2E3C0163-947F-443A-B3EE-9B0D65B16361.jpeg

nice!  that's what they're built for.  good to re-use too.  esp with many brick and mortar stores often closing shop in the states

We've been talking about the postal service and their lack of quality. Funny one happened today. I was pulling out of my court and the mail carrier was pulling in. She waved me down because she had a package for me. I signed for it, got in the truck and went to run errands for a few hours. I wondered what it was because as far as I knew I wasn't expecting anything today. I got back home, cracked the box open and saw a VF-1S. Well, I have two more coming so that wasn't odd. What was odd was there was a VF-1J under it. I thought the seller shipped two valks by mistake. Checked the tracking number against my spreadsheet and I had nothing that matched. Then I looked at the name. Same first name, different last name. Different address just down the street. How bonkers is it that there is another Macross collector right down the street with the same first name? And I'm the one who got his package. Since I knew what I was looking at I ran it down to his house, and he was home, so that was easy. I think I woke him up when I rang the bell, he seemed a bit out of it so I split without striking up a conversation in case he needed to be sleeping. I didn't even think to see if he posted here. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

4 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Very nice of you to help get the package to its rightful recipient!

I try and do my best to put good energy out into the universe. And that guy would have been freaking out! I don't want him feeling that way. That's crummy.

3 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

Good for you, what are the odds!

The odds are thin!!!

5 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Not to get off topic, but @borgified recommended I look at Craigslist sometime ago. Found a retail case for $25, got it painted for like $250 and spent like $35 on LED lights.

2E3C0163-947F-443A-B3EE-9B0D65B16361.jpeg

That is the size that would fit my collection too.  We have similar items hehe

12 minutes ago, sqidd said:

We've been talking about the postal service and their lack of quality. Funny one happened today. I was pulling out of my court and the mail carrier was pulling in. She waved me down because she had a package for me. I signed for it, got in the truck and went to run errands for a few hours. I wondered what it was because as far as I knew I wasn't expecting anything today. I got back home, cracked the box open and saw a VF-1S. Well, I have two more coming so that wasn't odd. What was odd was there was a VF-1J under it. I thought the seller shipped two valks by mistake. Checked the tracking number against my spreadsheet and I had nothing that matched. Then I looked at the name. Same first name, different last name. Different address just down the street. How bonkers is it that there is another Macross collector right down the street with the same first name? And I'm the one who got his package. Since I knew what I was looking at I ran it down to his house, and he was home, so that was easy. I think I woke him up when I rang the bell, he seemed a bit out of it so I split without striking up a conversation in case he needed to be sleeping. I didn't even think to see if he posted here. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

@sqiddthat was nice of you.  Someone took my stuff 

52 minutes ago, sqidd said:

awesome job there :drinks:

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Wow, a fellow macross junkie just down the street. That's pretty cool!

I was fortunate to get a vf-1s order in with HLJ during release and was super excited when it arrived. Upon pulling the legs down to transform into gerwalk, the right arm fell off!

Closer inspection showed a piece of the plastic tab that connects the arm to the metal slider was still in the clam shell. Suffice to say, I wept that evening...

11 minutes ago, RIBFIR said:

I was fortunate to get a vf-1s order in with HLJ during release and was super excited when it arrived. Upon pulling the legs down to transform into gerwalk, the right arm fell off!

Closer inspection showed a piece of the plastic tab that connects the arm to the metal slider was still in the clam shell. Suffice to say, I wept that evening...

Whelp, now I'm going to transform mine tonight.  I hope nothing falls off.

Sorry that happened.  HLJ is probably one of the best when it comes to customer service.  They might be able to help you out, or at least give you some store credit or something.

1 hour ago, RIBFIR said:

Dude, I'm sorry to hear.  I feel you.  I'm sitting with a dud too and still no update from Hobby Search.

9 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

Appreciate it! Was trying to google some stats but only found full package ones. Reason I ask isbecause I think these would look awesome on a levitating display.

OOOOH!  :good: That'd be cool!  Now if only one could get the magnets INSIDE the valk so it doesn't need a platform to float.  THEN you'd have a REALLY sick display!!!

2 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

Wonder why this release is seeing more QC issues, mold degradation already or just poorly assembled?

Everything in mass production has a failure rate.

I question whether they even have a QC department. By that I mean a "classic" QC department where every unit is being checked. At best my guess is they pull units every XXX unit and inspect them.

40 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

Exactly my thoughts! Or maybe a very thin flat piece...time to do some research!

That would be super cool! I saw a video of the Back To The Future floating Delorean. I wanted one even though I don't want the Delorean.

Wow @sqidd amazing story!

the thought of how a Macross collector would feel losing a package like that would force me to return it too. Nice!

You should definitely talk to him when you get a chance. I got to know a neighbor of mine much better after he invited my family to his kid’s birthday party once and when I got there, it was all Transfomer themed with a bunch of his G1 collection displayed. When I invited them over, they were blown away by my collection. 

7 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Wow @sqidd amazing story!

the thought of how a Macross collector would feel losing a package like that would force me to return it too. Nice!

You should definitely talk to him when you get a chance. I got to know a neighbor of mine much better after he invited my family to his kid’s birthday party once and when I got there, it was all Transfomer themed with a bunch of his G1 collection displayed. When I invited them over, they were blown away by my collection. 

Yeah, can you imagine that package coming up missing? I'd be upset.

I'll try and strike up a conversation at some point. Today he was putting off a "don't bother me vibe". I get it. If he works third shift or something I probably woke him up. I know I would be pretty off putting if someone woke me up.:D

32 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, can you imagine that package coming up missing? I'd be upset.

I'll try and strike up a conversation at some point. Today he was putting off a "don't bother me vibe". I get it. If he works third shift or something I probably woke him up. I know I would be pretty off putting if someone woke me up.:D

If they were giving me a box with two DX VF-1's, they can wake me anytime!:lol: