Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I really hope more people stick with their word like @sqidd about not doing business with NY again. That way, I can keep getting my orders through them easier.:D

I'm in with NY for the longhaul for this since my 6 month protection period ends today or yesterday. 

Hopefully you won't have to worry about me being in the fray in the future since I'm not anticipating any further Macross acquisitions once I receive this VF-1S and the Strike Packs (also POed through NY). I've run out of display room and my collection has been refined to the point that it is now mostly just my favorites that I don't plan to get rid of. I'm also not the type to pack stuff away. If it isn't out on display I don't need it. 

11 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

I'm in with NY for the longhaul for this since my 6 month protection period ends today or yesterday. 

Hopefully you won't have to worry about me being in the fray in the future since I'm not anticipating any further Macross acquisitions once I receive this VF-1S and the Strike Packs (also POed through NY). I've run out of display room and my collection has been refined to the point that it is now mostly just my favorites that I don't plan to get rid of. I'm also not the type to pack stuff away. If it isn't out on display I don't need it. 

That's a great collection philosophy and high end Macross figures like these DX VF-1s are the way to go for a focused display. I really wish I had the same kind of discipline but I'm a hoarding packrat collector that has and keeps everything since childhood and I have most the original packaging along with it. A comment I made in the recent acquisitions thread today made me really think though. The amount of money I have tied up in this collection stuff could equate to a lot of other things...in my case, almost anything else I can realistically imagine wanting. Hmmmm...Giving up a bunch of my collection in exchange for multiple family vacations and going Stage 3+ on my two Audi's sounds pretty good to me.

Just picked Hikaru up from the post office, looks like everything's in good shape, but wow the shipping box was cut close.. barely room for a layer of bubble wrap in this one.  Typical backwards tail numbering (bleh) and the loose instrument panel (woo!), so I might do a few tweaks eventually, but I'm going to wait until the backup from HLJ arrives.

Now I just get the agonizing wait to see if my strike packs arrive sometime this decade. :lol:  

2 hours ago, Matt Random said:

I feel like I'm approaching this myself.  The Hikaru 1S has maxed out my current display space, barring some serious cramming.  I plan on getting one more larger display sometime next year (I have the empty space for it right next to my current detolfs), and probably calling it after that.  The strike packs are also my only pre-order currently open 

I realized today that I spend less and less every year, as my list of wants shrinks.  If it weren't for this DX VF-1 line, I might be down to like 1-2 purchases per year (I only buy basically Macross stuff and the odd Gunpla).  Which isn't a bad thing; I'm just realizing my collection is getting closer to where I want it.

I'm still interested in a few more DX VF-1s, and I'll definitely get the DX yf-21 if/when it is released.  I still have my eye on HMR stuff, but that line has slowed down, and I'm not interested in their VF-4 repaints.  Then there is a few Arcadia releases I could be interested in, but they've put me off buying their stuff lately.

6 hours ago, sqidd said:

My impression is that NY WAY over sells their PO's at scalper rates knowing they don't have the allocation from Bandai to cover those sales. They then count on being able to source units from people, other shops, other scalpers, etc to fill those orders and in turn making that margin. And from what I understand they almost always come though.....eventually. The problem for me was there was no way they were going to fill my order before my 6mo recourse period with PayPal expired. And there is no way I'm letting my buyer protection lapse. I will have lost all ability to exert pressure.

In the meantime I could have not placed that order with NY and just waited for the release. paid a lower rate, and gotten units much, much faster.

I understand the way they do things and why. I'm not interested in being a part of their system though now that I see how it works first hand. 

This

6 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I really hope more people stick with their word like @sqidd about not doing business with NY again. That way, I can keep getting my orders through them easier.:D

Until it happens to you.  jk.  

6 hours ago, crackpot said:

Naaaaaah. You'll be just next in line to get screwed. You'll be NY's Slave IV-ever... ok, I'll see myself out. 

I see what you did there ha ha

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

More like people need to be aware of what NY is like as a seller before ordering.

Expect slow shipping, no matter what shiping method you use. Expect exorbitant jacked up prices if you miss the initial PO. Expect poor customer service.

In other words, use NY only if you're desperate or patient.

Yup, NY doesn't operate like most of the Japanese co's we frequent here

2 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

That right here makes all the sense. With all of my collectibles, I've realized that if I can't properly display them, I can't properly appreciate them, which makes me lose interest.

The old Yammie boxes had window boxes with lids so you could display the inside the box without a display case.  I liked those box layouts and Bandai only did it for the original Hi Metal valks.  Also collector friendly for collectors who like to keep MIB.  

3 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I don't have even half of my collection currently displayed...

I made a couple rules for myself when I got back in this to keep myself under control (if you can call what I do "under control":p)

The first thing that helps is I look at toys like art. Art I want to look at. That means it has to be on display.

Second rule is everything has to be in a glass case. That has a way of limiting things. I have room for one more case if I really feel I need one more. It will take some big effort to get it where I want it though so there is some checks and balanced built in.

I've slowed WAY down on my collecting. I'll be getting new/choice stuff as it comes out. But for the most part I have everything but a few grail pieces I want. And I want to have some customs done.

I look forward to next year when I maybe only get 10-15 new toys.:D

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

First step on my end would be just removing duplicates from my collection. I have 2x of a lot of HMRs, 3 VF-31A, and 4x DX YF-19. Hell, I even have the Arcadia SDF-1 in both normal and PF versions.

The only time I have multiples is because I want to display in multiple modes at the same time. That keeps me a little under control too. 

My wife called me out the other day saying that the majority of this is the Hunt. She’s right. I think @Slave IV calls it a game and I’m right there with him.

I have a retail case and 4 Detolfs. That’s the space I have to work with plus a little extra storage space. And, I also enjoy selling stuff when there is clutter. But the trick is that I don’t have sell at any point. I only buy what I can afford.

It’s funny the things we do to tame our addictive appetite. 8)

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

My wife called me out the other day saying that the majority of this is the Hunt. She’s right. I think @Slave IV calls it a game and I’m right there with him.

I have a retail case and 4 Detolfs. That’s the space I have to work with plus a little extra storage space. And, I also enjoy selling stuff when there is clutter. But the trick is that I don’t have sell at any point. I only buy what I can afford.

It’s funny the things we do to tame our addictive appetite. 8)

Yep! Preorder madness and getting the tricks of all the different shops and ways to get things online is the new “hunt” and game of collecting to me. I’m pretty much over the whole running around to all the shops to try to find that rare toy I want although I still do a bit of that. 

I think it was you who also mentioned that NY is stationed out of the way compared to most other shops and that’s why it takes longer for them to get shipments and as a result, send shipments. It’s all good to me as long as I get my plastic crack and I didn’t pay extra for it. That’s part of the “hunt” aspect. Back in the day, no matter how many shops I searched and shelves I dug through, if I found what I wanted, it was always msrp or less. There was no pay extra and skip the hunt button, lol!

I finally got around today to open up one of my 1/48 max. 
I must say, extremely impressed by quality. I don’t like the separation thing of the legs, but the freaking build n detail they put in is outstanding.

makes the Yamato’s look like trash. 
I hope they release all versions of the vf-1.

including the Alaska base etc. definitely worth the money.

B1E66EEC-E081-4273-ADB0-D703F60FF51D.jpeg

EAF41CC1-57D1-4406-B8B2-CFCB6E5B22A2.jpeg

Edited by Bahamutzyro

So, long story short, my order from Hobby Search wound up having a crack around degraded plastic.  I've never purchased from them before (because they're impossible to usually land from).  Anyway, they provided a receipt with the shipment that stated to email their support if there are any issues and even called out defects, etc.  I did that over the weekend when it arrived so that there was no delay from when it was received and notifying them of the defect (the more time that lapses between receipt and notifying could be argued that I caused the crack).  I followed up yesterday again during their business hours.  No response yet.

I'm not sweating it or even complaining about it on here.  Just sharing the experience with HS so far as well as the QC issue for you all to watch for.  Fortunately, I had acquired two other valks.  One I sold to a board member from TFW2005 and one I kept.  Unfortunately, this is the reason we collectors try to buy multiples (aside from displaying in different poses).

IMG_9368.jpg

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

25 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

So, long story short, my order from Hobby Search wound up having a crack around degraded plastic.  I've never purchased from them before (because they're impossible to usually land from).  Anyway, they provided a receipt with the shipment that stated to email their support if there are any issues and even called out defects, etc.  I did that over the weekend when it arrived so that there was no delay from when it was received and notifying them of the defect (the more time that lapses between receipt and notifying could be argued that I caused the crack).  I followed up yesterday again during their business hours.  No response yet.

I'm not sweating it or even complaining about it on here.  Just sharing the experience with HS so far as well as the QC issue for you all to watch for.  Fortunately, I had acquired two other valks.  One I sold to a board member from TFW2005 and one I kept.  Unfortunately, this is the reason we collectors try to buy multiples (aside from displaying in different poses).

That sucks:( That is one obvious crack and I wonder how did that get passed QC? Seriously there are way too much QC issues on this VF-1S. The Max was fine thou.

Edited by Tenbatsu

All of the red bits are painted over white plastic right, even the heat shield?  So it wouldn't be all that difficult to simply paint over the few red bits with yellow right?  Just some high quality oil based model paint should do it.  Anyone wanna trade a DYRL pilot for a SDFM one that I can paint blue?

To be fair to Bandai, I don't believe you ever see the modex number on the rear stabilizer in the animation, at least not for the Hikaru VF-1S.  So they can kind of do what they want. You could argue they should know better based on real aircraft, but we've seen time and again that Bandai doesn't really care about what real aircraft do when it comes to their valks.

It will be interesting to see how they handle those numbers on future releases.  They'll probably stick to their guns, now.

2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

IMG_9368.jpg

Wow, that sucks. 

It also sucks for anyone buying MISB after a significant amount of time has passed after it was originally purchased from a retailer.  Not a lot you can do about it a few months or years after it was originally purchased.

If I'm buying privately, I'd prefer mint but opened boxi.  At least it would have been inspected for defects.

1 hour ago, recon said:

Bandai has spoken. There is nothing wrong with the orientation of the '100' marking on the VF-1S tail fin

https://mobile.twitter.com/basarakun555/status/1201836302108200960

FB_IMG_1575477924203.jpg

I doubt that explanation will be well received, even in the Japanese market.  I've read some pretty scathing reviews in Japanese.  Japanese otaku can be pretty ruthless when it comes to some collectibles.

I... yeah, I can't even.  No, I refuse to even.

You don't go telling people calling out a flaw that you did it incorrectly for "aesthetic reasons."  The aesthetic your customers want is accuracy.  You don't print something backwards because you want symmetry, dipwads. :rolleyes: 

That may be the most tone-deaf reaction to complaints about a production flaw that I've ever seen.

I'm tempted to see if I can't have HLJ send a complaint on my behalf back to Bandai about it.  Won't do me a lick of good I'm sure, but I'd love to contribute to the hate mail they get over that response.

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

To be fair to Bandai, I don't believe you ever see the modex number on the rear stabilizer in the animation, at least not for the Hikaru VF-1S.  So they can kind of do what they want. You could argue they should know better based on real aircraft, but we've seen time and again that Bandai doesn't really care about what real aircraft do when it comes to their valks.

It will be interesting to see how they handle those numbers on future releases.  They'll probably stick to their guns, now.

See... no.  I get that it's not in the animation, but that doesn't give them carte blanche to write things backwards on purpose.  No two ways about it, it's wrong. 

They clearly don't give a rat's backside about accuracy to aircraft, but this is another entirely different level of arrogance.

Edited by Chronocidal