Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

There is one exception: I noticed that the HUD/console isn't glued in or anything.  Mine just slide right out when I took the pilot out.  It seems liked it should be glued or something, but maybe not? 

Mine is the exact same way.  Doesn't bother me and, as you said, you can just add a dab of glue.  It does make it conveniently easy to mod though if you want to replace the console decal with another one.

How is the door flap on your front landing gear (the one that folds forwards, not the two flaps that open lengthwise)?  Mine is super stiff to the point I couldn't open it...need to get a screw driver and lightly pry it up.

Edited by Digitalfiend

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

He had to, to stick the "We missed you!" slip to my door. :p  I'm guessing he didn't feel like looking for the box.

Lazy goofballs around here just throw them in mailbox down by the curb.

My 1S arrived just minutes after I got home from work so that was great timing! 

Initial impressions are good! I'm loving the larger sized pilot figure! It looks and fits much better in the DYRL toy! Very pleased with that.   They ballz'd them up with the TV versions.. Has anyone designed a larger 3d printed version yet? I'd happily buy and paint one up myself if it does happen.

Sucks about the vertical stabilizer tampo number stuff up but its not terribly noticeable unless you're pointing it out.

All the articulated fingers have been built properly but the intake fan covers still don't fit so well as with the previous releases before it but wot evs.. 

The printing on the right side of the cockpit is a little out of alignment but the left side is pretty good. Again it isn't that noticeable unless you're really paying close attention to it.

Overall I am really pleased with the 1S variant! 

20191203_145633.jpg

20191203_151527.jpg

IMG_20191203_153151.jpg

IMG_20191203_153020.jpg

5 minutes ago, spanner said:

oh no! that sure sucks.. sorry to hear that. 

my order number was 737686 as I ordered it quite late so I'm counting my lucky stars that I actually received it! 

Cancel your order and buy elsewhere. My $.02.

BTW, I picked five up for less than NY charged me. I have one in hand, two more Wednesday and two more Friday.

Are the wings and majority of the body of the 1J painted or are they bare plastic?

In the time I've owned this figure I've never noticed some really ugly red paint scratches or something on the underside of the right wing, just next to one of the missile nubs. I want to take some alcohol to it but I don't want to damage it, it's on the underside and can't be seen in any mode so I can live with it if I have to.

6 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

Got a chance to open mine today.  Haven't transformed it yet, but so far it is as solid as the Max 1A release, maybe even better in terms of production quality (at least on my copy).  There is one exception: I noticed that the HUD/console isn't glued in or anything.  Mine just slide right out when I took the pilot out.  It seems liked it should be glued or something, but maybe not?  Either way, a very minor gripe; it stays put when doing anything other than removing the pilot. And a spot of glue would solve the problem very easily (I probably won't even bother).  Anyone else have this issue with the console?  Is it even a "problem," or is it supposed to be that way?  I checked my TV valks, and the console stays put for them.

IMG_20191202_212915.jpg

IMG_20191202_213056.jpg

Mine is exactly like that too, thought It was a gimick or feature

I just sent off my third communication to NY. My 7015xx order has been in preparation since Friday. At this point I'm worried about it arriving prior to the holiday shutdown which is kind of crazy given that the break is almost a month after the release.

I would have went with someone other than NY but they were the only place I was able to get a preorder during the PO MADNESS. I tend to be eager to get my purchases since I only buy a few toys a year - which makes NY a very poor choice. My last Macross purchase was the VF-1J DX from almost a year ago.

10 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

How is the door flap on your front landing gear (the one that folds forwards, not the two flaps that open lengthwise)?  Mine is super stiff to the point I couldn't open it...need to get a screw driver and lightly pry it up.

My landing gear bay doors were stiff, but not overly so.  I would say the rear landing gear doors were harder to open than the front ones, on my copy.  I didn't need to do anything special on any of them, though.

1 hour ago, Matt Random said:

I just sent off my third communication to NY. My 7015xx order has been in preparation since Friday. At this point I'm worried about it arriving prior to the holiday shutdown which is kind of crazy given that the break is almost a month after the release.

I would have went with someone other than NY but they were the only place I was able to get a preorder during the PO MADNESS. I tend to be eager to get my purchases since I only buy a few toys a year - which makes NY a very poor choice. My last Macross purchase was the VF-1J DX from almost a year ago.

Thats the same situation my order is in. Just hanging in preparation since Friday. Keep hoping for the shipping notice this week.

5 minutes ago, spanner said:

I get the feeling that NY either have an extremely poor order processing system in place or they constantly over committ by putting too much on their plate.. or they are just a sh!tty company. 

My impression is that NY WAY over sells their PO's at scalper rates knowing they don't have the allocation from Bandai to cover those sales. They then count on being able to source units from people, other shops, other scalpers, etc to fill those orders and in turn making that margin. And from what I understand they almost always come though.....eventually. The problem for me was there was no way they were going to fill my order before my 6mo recourse period with PayPal expired. And there is no way I'm letting my buyer protection lapse. I will have lost all ability to exert pressure.

In the meantime I could have not placed that order with NY and just waited for the release. paid a lower rate, and gotten units much, much faster.

I understand the way they do things and why. I'm not interested in being a part of their system though now that I see how it works first hand. 

7 minutes ago, sqidd said:

My impression is that NY WAY over sells their PO's at scalper rates knowing they don't have the allocation from Bandai to cover those sales. They then count on being able to source units from people, other shops, other scalpers, etc to fill those orders and in turn making that margin. And from what I understand they almost always come though.....eventually. The problem for me was there was no way they were going to fill my order before my 6mo recourse period with PayPal expired. And there is no way I'm letting my buyer protection lapse. I will have lost all ability to exert pressure.

In the meantime I could have not placed that order with NY and just waited for the release. paid a lower rate, and gotten units much, much faster.

I understand the way they do things and why. I'm not interested in being a part of their system though now that I see how it works first hand. 

^^ yes I agree with this.

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I really hope more people stick with their word like @sqidd about not doing business with NY again. That way, I can keep getting my orders through them easier.:D

Naaaaaah. You'll be just next in line to get screwed. You'll be NY's Slave IV-ever... ok, I'll see myself out. 

1 minute ago, crackpot said:

Naaaaaah. You'll be just next in line to get screwed. You'll be NY's Slave IV-ever... ok, I'll see myself out. 

Hahahaha:lol: Good one! 

FWIW, NY has never screwed me and I am very happy with their service. Almost all my hundreds of orders a year go through them so I'm sticking with them until they prove to me otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I really hope more people stick with their word like @sqidd about not doing business with NY again. That way, I can keep getting my orders through them easier.:D

Well, they got pissy with me when I canceled my orders and banned me. So I'll be keeping my word.:D

5 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Hahahaha:lol: Good one! 

FWIW, NY has never screwed me and I am very happy with their service. Almost all my hundreds of orders a year go through them so I'm sticking with them until they prove to me otherwise.

My only real issue with them is they massively over-sell their allocation. They shouldn't be taking people's money at that point. Then either making them wait forever, getting pissy when people cancel or shoe horn people into their "jump through flaming hoop" store credit system.

Them getting pissy with me for wanting to cancel my order when they were either not going to fill it for a LONG time or at all chaps by backside a bit. They don't have a leg to stand on in regards to playing the "victim".

Long, long ago I worked for a finance operation that was what most would consider a predatory lender (I'm one that thought that, I quite pretty fast). NY's selling practices are borderline if not right on the line of "predatory".

My one DX VF-1S Hikaru just showed up via HLJ/FedEx. The outside box was smushed but the VF-1S was pretty good other than a little ding on one of the corners. Kit Kats yum! I'll open it later tonight to swoosh around... the VF-1S not the Kit Kats, XD.

12 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Well, they got pissy with me when I canceled my orders and banned me. So I'll be keeping my word.:D

And yes NY are a bunch of A-holes. Since the VF-31A fiasco I've only been selective with the items I order with them. No pay up front items unless its less than $100. Pre-order items over $100 only if there's a pay later option. I've been one of their customers since 2010 with purchases over several thousands of dollars and they decided to treat me like crap (even with polite emails).

30 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

More like people need to be aware of what NY is like as a seller before ordering.

Expect slow shipping, no matter what shiping method you use. Expect exorbitant jacked up prices if you miss the initial PO. Expect poor customer service.

In other words, use NY only if you're desperate or patient.

Think so far I've been very lucky with NY, but it does seems like luck of the draw. I am certain I PO'd my VF31A CF after some people, yet got it on release. I've used them for transformers and Macross items and they haven't let me down yet. 

Yet being the keyword. I am not a fan of how they ban you from cancelling a purchase----they sell at a freaking 100%+ markup, I am certain that with few exceptions they always fill those orders anyway, and at even more inflated prices anyway. 

Customer interaction aside, you have to admit they have a good track record of delivering hard to find items, albeit on their own nonsensical schedule, and at inflated prices.  I'm pretty sure the mark-ups are what keep them afloat though, because, as we saw with the 31A, delivering all the orders they took could have had them eating a loss by acquiring all the necessary items from re-sellers (possibly why so few of their stock came in the original TWE outer shipper box).  As soon as their orders were filled, they suddenly had a restock at over $700, which makes me think they had to bump them that high to make up for losses on ones they acquired above retail price.

I don't believe their cancelling of orders and banning accounts is unique though.  In all honesty, I wouldn't really have any trouble with it, if their store credit policy wasn't a pile of hair-tearing shenanigans.  The hoops you have to jump through to spend store credit from a cancelled order from them are way beyond unreasonable.

Bottom line, only order from them if you really truly want an item, and are willing to wait an unreasonable amount of time for it.  They do deliver... eventually.

Edited by Chronocidal

So..... should we start an NY thread?  I kinda feel like we go through this every release (and I've only been on this board for about a year! LOL).  I mean, I get it...it's all valid conversation.  Plus it relates to the VF-1S release of course.  But if we're talking this much about NY... we should talk about it here:

43 minutes ago, sqidd said:

My only real issue with them is they massively over-sell their allocation. They shouldn't be taking people's money at that point. Then either making them wait forever, getting pissy when people cancel or shoe horn people into their "jump through flaming hoop" store credit system.

Them getting pissy with me for wanting to cancel my order when they were either not going to fill it for a LONG time or at all chaps by backside a bit. They don't have a leg to stand on in regards to playing the "victim".

Long, long ago I worked for a finance operation that was what most would consider a predatory lender (I'm one that thought that, I quite pretty fast). NY's selling practices are borderline if not right on the line of "predatory".

28 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

More like people need to be aware of what NY is like as a seller before ordering.

Expect slow shipping, no matter what shiping method you use. Expect exorbitant jacked up prices if you miss the initial PO. Expect poor customer service.

In other words, use NY only if you're desperate or patient.

I don't run into any of these issues because I will never pay their or anyone's markup price for items and I rarely check order or tracking statuses because I don't care when I get things as long as I get them. Every time I have contacted NY for CS, they have been prompt and fair so I have no issues there. My main thing is price and they have provided me with the lowest price and saved me literally thousands of dollars over the years so I'm all good with NY.

Right now, my only supposedly reliable order for the DX VF-1S is through HLJ when they opened orders around release day. I have no update from them about fulfilling my order or cancelling it. Still crossing my fingers that they come through or I could be screwed on getting a DX 1S. There is no point where I even thought about conrtacting them over it though...whatever happens, happens and I'll roll with it.