Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Just got "preparation in progress" on order #701198 from NY.  They're getting around to them, though I won't be here to pick it up until after Thanksgiving. :p 

Not going to lie though, that printed cockpit display kinda sucks.  Yamato straight up printed the "watching the missiles" display on some of their releases.

@tekering Nice pics.  Do they antennae/ears swivel or are they on ball joints?  I think the VF-1J was on a ball joint when I handled it in store.  From the pics, the circle part of the head lasers/antennae look like they are on swivels.

At this point, I'm waiting and seeing since I don't like scalpers and Max was available after release for a small markup.

HLJ did not offer me the open order status on preorder day but told me they got too many orders even though I got through checkout.  Burns that they got more stock and didn't offer it to me chronologically ahead of those who ordered it on release day.

2 hours ago, beatsing said:

@tekering Nice pics.  Do they antennae/ears swivel or are they on ball joints?  I think the VF-1J was on a ball joint when I handled it in store.  From the pics, the circle part of the head lasers/antennae look like they are on swivels.

At this point, I'm waiting and seeing since I don't like scalpers and Max was available after release for a small markup.

HLJ did not offer me the open order status on preorder day but told me they got too many orders even though I got through checkout.  Burns that they got more stock and didn't offer it to me chronologically ahead of those who ordered it on release day.

From the video review it seems that both the circle part and all the lasers are on ball joints, not sure how they did that though

So, i just opened my second DX VF-1J (to inspect it before a sale) that's been sitting in its box since i ordered it from NY way back in June....

The first thing i noticed was that the 2x Antenna were not where they are supposed to be in the clamshell, they were both loose and one was stuck in one of the wing openings, but ok, shipping and all that.

Then i took the VF out of the clamshell and noticed a big gap between the intake and the main body, like it was improperly transformed before it was put in the clamshell (it was not like it had popped out by itself in shipping since you had to lift the legs from the body and re-attach them to fix the gap)

I then proceeded to inspect it further and when i undid the feet from the body i noticed that the clasp on the swingbar was really really weak, like it takes nothing to undo it (it's not like that on my display VF-1J, i mean its weak but this one holds nothing.)

And one off the hip joints is totally loose. Like no resistance at all. I inspected the screws that hold the hip joint cover very closely and they look a little bit worn on the top, like someone had messed with them with a screwdriver that's a hair bit to big.

And to top it off, one of the panel lines on the "back" near where the booster pack folds onto it is raised up by nearly a millimeter when in fighter mode.

So. Do i have a previously returned-item lemon on my hands? Or maybe manufacturing faults? Anybody else had these issues?

Do i have grounds to return it to NY for a replacement or should i just display it in fighter mode and cut my losses? :unsure: 
Obviously not going to sell it unless the buyer is willing to accept these faults.

Edited by theraiden

header.thumb.jpg.2cd8dd0af5273489be528515893a4455.jpg

4 hours ago, beatsing said:

Do they antennae/ears swivel or are they on ball joints? 

2 hours ago, Guyffon said:

it seems that both the circle part and all the lasers are on ball joints

A picture is worth a thousand-character text string.  ^_^

beheaded.thumb.jpg.df4aafff33b34eae7709e919415ad870.jpg

1 hour ago, theraiden said:

So, i just opened my second DX VF-1J (to inspect it before a sale) that's been sitting in its box since i ordered it from NY way back in June....

The first thing i noticed was that the 2x Antenna were not where they are supposed to be in the clamshell, they were both loose and one was stuck in one of the wing openings, but ok, shipping and all that.

Then i took the VF out of the clamshell and noticed a big gap between the intake and the main body, like it was improperly transformed before it was put in the clamshell (it was not like it had popped out by itself in shipping since you had to lift the legs from the body and re-attach them to fix the gap)

I then proceeded to inspect it further and when i undid the feet from the body i noticed that the clasp on the swingbar was really really weak, like it takes nothing to undo it (it's not like that on my display VF-1J, i mean its weak but this one holds nothing.)

And one off the hip joints is totally loose. Like no resistance at all. I inspected the screws that hold the hip joint cover very closely and they look a little bit worn on the top, like someone had messed with them with a screwdriver that's a hair bit to big.

And to top it off, one of the panel lines on the "back" near where the booster pack folds onto it is raised up by nearly a millimeter when in fighter mode.

So. Do i have a previously returned-item lemon on my hands? Or maybe manufacturing faults? Anybody else had these issues?

Do i have grounds to return it to NY for a replacement or should i just display it in fighter mode and cut my losses? :unsure: 
Obviously not going to sell it unless the buyer is willing to accept these faults.

Can't know for sure, but it sounds like you got a QC reject to me.  We always wonder where NY gets its extra stock, and maybe QC rejects are a part of that pool.  

You can always contact NY and see what they say.  It might be well past the time where they would offer any kind of refund, and they aren't known for their customer service to begin with.  But it couldn't hurt to ask (nicely).  

You might have a fighter mode/replacement part valk, though.  Did you pay a mark-up for it?  Or was it discounted?

56 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Can't know for sure, but it sounds like you got a QC reject to me.  We always wonder where NY gets its extra stock, and maybe QC rejects are a part of that pool.  

You can always contact NY and see what they say.  It might be well past the time where they would offer any kind of refund, and they aren't known for their customer service to begin with.  But it couldn't hurt to ask (nicely).  

You might have a fighter mode/replacement part valk, though.  Did you pay a mark-up for it?  Or was it discounted?

Mark up price, so i'm pretty pissed. I opened a ticket, going to see what they say. Not feeling hopeful though.

12 minutes ago, theraiden said:

Mark up price, so i'm pretty pissed. I opened a ticket, going to see what they say. Not feeling hopeful though.

I wouldn't count on NY helping you out. I purchased a new Metal Build Astraea from them and it was missing an armor piece. NY wouldn't exchange the gundam or refund the money (even in store credit). I went thru my credit card company and they pushed the return through, and then NY locked my account. The best part is that the CC refunded the transaction and any possible interest. I then bought a new one off of ebay for $150 less. 

16 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I’m no expert but it’s always been my understanding that DYRL, Hikaru, and his DYRL VF-1S in particular have traditionally been more popular in Japan. Since that is Bandai’s target audience for the Macross line it makes sense to me that they lead with his Valks.

Roy and SDFM are just more popular in the States due to Robotech really. “Rick” always seemed so damn whiny and Roy a badass. Hikaru is slightly more badass in DYRL than his Robotech counterpart. Anyway, that’s just my thought. I’m sure others would disagree. :)

I thought it might have been a one-off, but I have heard this in Japan. 

A few weeks ago, I went to a place that had previously enjoyed toys, and they had two Yamato 1/60 V2 Strike Valks, one Hikaru and one Roy.  So the Roy was merely opened box, but otherwise mint and I picked it up for 12,000 yen.  The Hikaru had a broken shoulder and it was selling for 22,000 yen.  Before I purchased the Roy, I asked about the price difference as I was concerned the Roy must have been yellowed, broken and completely fukked for the price difference.  The clerk only mumbled something about the other one being more expensive simply because it was the Ichijyo Hikaru version.  

One an only hope when the Roy comes out, it won't have as much demand in Japan.  Years ago (whenever they were first released), I saw a Yammie 1/48 Roy on clearance at some shop in Akihabara for 5,900 yen....yeah, you read that right, I'm still kicking myself for not buying it back then.

Edited by peter

28 minutes ago, peter said:

I thought it might have been a one-off, but I have heard this in Japan. 

A few weeks ago, I went to a place that had previously enjoyed toys, and they had two Yamato 1/60 V2 Strike Valks, one Hikaru and one Roy.  So the Roy was merely opened box, but otherwise mint and I picked it up for 12,000 yen.  The Hikaru had a broken shoulder and it was selling for 22,000 yen.  Before I purchased the Roy, I asked about the price difference as I was concerned the Roy must have been yellowed, broken and completely fukked for the price difference.  The clerk only mumbled something about the other one being more expensive simply because it was the Ichijyo Hikaru version.  

One an only hope when the Roy comes out, it won't have as much demand in Japan.  Years ago (whenever they were first released), I saw a Yammie 1/48 Roy on clearance at some shop in Akihabara for 5,900 yen....yeah, you read that right, I'm still kicking myself for not buying it back then.

Awesome.  That's a great story and glad you are able to give context!  I keep looking for ways to get to Tokyo with work just so I can experience it all myself.  Can't believe you saw a Yammie for 5900.  Nuts.

21 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Got shipping notice from Hobby Search for the one I picked up at release.

I'm still in shock that I was able to land one at HS on release as well.  Mine shipped yesterday and is already at outbound customs in Tokyo.

I still haven't heard a peep from NY. The one I bought from Loopaza showed up today though. Has a little bit of smeared tampo paint and some scuffs. More frustrating is the arm shoulder slider isnt assembled right. I couldn't figure out why the leg wouldn't seat properly in fighter mode. The L part of the slider tab is above the groove instead of below. Looks like I will have to attempt a little disassembly. I couldn't pop it into the groove and don't want to break anything.

Small issues aside and the silly 001/100 error, this is a nice looking figure.

IMG_20191126_121500686.jpg

12 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

My N-Y order has just been shipped. Order #7006xx and is also the first PO price from NY (with pay later option)

ahh dang it! my order number is THOUSANDS higher than any of you guys orders! looks like I'll be waiting a while for mine to move anywhere.. <_<:(

8 minutes ago, peter said:

There's a special place in hell for scalpers.

It doesn't bother me at all. I accept capitalism for what it is. It's pluses and minuses. It's the best of all the bad systems.

In this case if I was going to blame anyone, it would be Bandai. They could all but eliminate scalping if they changed their selling practices.

42 minutes ago, Corrinald said:

I still haven't heard a peep from NY. The one I bought from Loopaza showed up today though. Has a little bit of smeared tampo paint and some scuffs. More frustrating is the arm shoulder slider isnt assembled right. I couldn't figure out why the leg wouldn't seat properly in fighter mode. The L part of the slider tab is above the groove instead of below. Looks like I will have to attempt a little disassembly. I couldn't pop it into the groove and don't want to break anything.

Small issues aside and the silly 001/100 error, this is a nice looking figure.

IMG_20191126_121500686.jpg

Maybe you could heat the area up a little and try shoving it in?

5 hours ago, theraiden said:

Im pretty sure you passed the return period, if there was ever one. 

But please take some pics of the issue.   

"And to top it off, one of the panel lines on the "back" near where the booster pack folds onto it is raised up by nearly a millimeter when in fighter mode."

which panel line is this. is it the panel for you to pup the head up?, if so , you just need to adjust the arms below it. 

The 1/55 chunky monkey came out in what, 1984?  Then the Yammy 1/48 came out in 2002, 18 years after the chunky?  And now we have the DX Chogokin which came out in 2018, so 16 years after the Yammy.  

The Yammy was light years ahead of the chunky, and as much as I like my new DX Chogokin over my Yammies, I wouldn't say it's leaps and bounds ahead, like the yammy was over the chunky.