Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

15 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

I am lost. Why do you call it parts former? The current DX also detaches or splits at the bar. Why are you not calling the DX parts former? I know the bandai kit failed, but that mechanism, as seen in the animation, is not parts forming. Since the part is attached one way or another to the toy while being transformed. 

As i understood the "appendages" swiveled, delivering and locking the legs to the waist, then they would detach. I don't think that qualifies as parts formers. The original Yamato V1, were parts formers.

I think bandai could effectively do this today.

@jeniusornome totally read my mind below.  As the swingbar separation is "optional", it's a perfect trans.

I was also excited when they announced the kit was based on the line art, and we'd get an accurate valk transformation.  I suppose the kit's parts kept falling apart makes it a parts former for me - no dis on Kawamori's original design.

I think Bandai could do this today too.  The DX line is far far better quality than the 1/72 model kits for the Frontier and Delta lines.

13 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

The two part swing bar was a weird design choice imo and I can see it being a problem as time goes on - the plastic clip that locks the two together could get loose I expect. I’d be a bit annoyed if they made it a solid piece later and reissued it. 

But since it doesn’t have to come apart to transform the figure, I wouldn’t call it a partsformer. In my mind that’s reserved for figures like... well, the v1 Yamato design. Or various High Grade 1/144 scale transforming Gunpla if any of you build those. Something where it’s like “first remove the legs and arms, transform this, then reattach these parts”.

From what I understand of that Bandai VF-1 model kit’s design I wouldn’t call it a partsformer either, just a design nightmare. 

exactly

10 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I was just looking at my unbuilt kit the other day, thinking about when I might try to tackle it. I also have the full line of original IMAI/Bandai 1/72 kits that I need to build (with the forward section that you have to swap out for Battroid mode, the ultimate partsformer). Not too difficult to assemble, but you also wouldn't want to partsform them on a regular basis.

Yup, the parts that clip together get loose after a few transformations to the point that they just fall off and you better glue them but then it doesn't transform.

8 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Technically the Bandai kit is the most perfect transformation, as that stupid design nightmare of pistons attaching the chest to the legs actually is what is showed in the anime.

It's still a design nightmare though, and I'll take a functional swing-bar over that POS any day.

Yup so excited about that design, what a let down.  The swing bar is boring, but it works.

8 hours ago, jenius said:

I think, if done in 1/35 scale, the swing bars could be individual for each intake, like in the anime. They could move the legs to where they need to be. You would then need to open the nosecone and swing out the ball joints on either side. You would open the back of the intakes and attach them to the ball joints and close the back of the intakes to lock them into position. Ideally, you would then be able to disconnect the swing bar, pivot it, and have it act as the side cavity filler. 

I'm not sure if it's true: MP-01 was fan designed.  You should submit yours.  

7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Oh, I'm sure it could be done, hell the 1/72 model kit managed to fit in all the various mechanisms.

I just would rather not have a toy that worked that way due to the innate flimsiness of such a mechanism. Especially if it was completely unnecessary for anything aside from transformation accuracy.

I'm all for not having a box of parts to keep track of, but at the same time we only ever display these in one form or another, not midway between where such a mechanism would be relevant.

Yup, anime accuracy is awesome, but not if it's a flimsy mess like the model kit, cuz that's a crappy toy.  

5 hours ago, peter said:

35_1J.jpg

1/35

Those hip connectors look different from the DX's.  I wonder what those connectors do.

46 minutes ago, beatsing said:

@jeniusornome totally read my mind below.  As the swingbar separation is "optional", it's a perfect trans.

Agree. Perfect transformation that has optional ways of of doing so.  Unless you consider the removal and installatin of the intake covers as transformation.  The HMRs on the the other hand may be considered as parts formers due to installation of the landing gears and replacement of the canopy with heatshields. :hi:

5 minutes ago, spanner said:

I'd kill EVERYONE! for a 1/35! :lol::unsure:

possibly not joking... 

rd.gif.8bb0e0cd27f2cc363bb594ce0fff5015.gif

1 minute ago, spanner said:

on a less homicidal note..

F#$% it's good to be back into this hobby!

First post hobby exit transformation!

And it was even more fun than I remember!

:D:yahoo::good:

*cue macross OP*

1 hour ago, Bub said:

Agree. Perfect transformation that has optional ways of of doing so.  Unless you consider the removal and installatin of the intake covers as transformation.  The HMRs on the the other hand may be considered as parts formers due to installation of the landing gears and replacement of the canopy with heatshields. :hi:

Yup

43 minutes ago, spanner said:

on a less homicidal note..

F#$% it's good to be back into this hobby!

First post hobby exit transformation!

And it was even more fun than I remember!

:D:yahoo::good:

20191019_142133.jpg

Good to see you back on board! B))

Hopefully this VF-1J gets a re-issue down the road (I missed out on PO night), I like PO prices much more than the %30-%40 increased aftermarket prices. 

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

Good to see you back on board! B))

Hopefully this VF-1J gets a re-issue down the road (I missed out on PO night), I like PO prices much more than the %30-%40 increased aftermarket prices. 

yeah I paid the post release premium for this one.. and more for the Max too. <_<

1 hour ago, ArchieNov said:

Why'd you leave again? You used to have a massive collection. Then I remember you started talking more and more about model cars...

I did yes, But I thought it was starting to get excessive and far too exoensive. I also had a few things I needed to sort out in my life and selling off my collection helped fund certain things and I wanted to try other things that I was into way back in my early years for example RC.

Model cars had been a thing of mine since forever and I honestly thought continuing with that would be cheaper and satisfy me but I guess I was wrong. Yes I acknowledge that I made a mistake selling off absolutely everything instead of keeping some stuff but now that lesson has been learnt. Even just today transforming the DX 1:48's was so much fun and its actually exciting to have a few Valkyries again considering its been a life long (since 1982) passion and I know I shouldn't have let go of it.

:)

It's all cool. I've actually started getting into the RC hobby myself lately, but only RC tanks in particular. The RC culture is very different from my usual toy collecting since in the RC hobby (at least from what I've seen), it's almost expected that people customize their stuff. MISB or stock models usually hold the lowest value. I could be wrong but that's what I've experienced so far in the last 3 months.

46 minutes ago, spanner said:

I did yes, But I thought it was starting to get excessive and far too exoensive. I also had a few things I needed to sort out in my life and selling off my collection helped fund certain things and I wanted to try other things that I was into way back in my early years for example RC.

Model cars had been a thing of mine since forever and I honestly thought continuing with that would be cheaper and satisfy me but I guess I was wrong. Yes I acknowledge that I made a mistake selling off absolutely everything instead of keeping some stuff but now that lesson has been learnt. Even just today transforming the DX 1:48's was so much fun and its actually exciting to have a few Valkyries again considering its been a life long (since 1982) passion and I know I shouldn't have let go of it.

:)

2 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

It's all cool. I've actually started getting into the RC hobby myself lately, but only RC tanks in particular. The RC culture is very different from my usual toy collecting since in the RC hobby (at least from what I've seen), it's almost expected that people customize their stuff. MISB or stock models usually hold the lowest value. I could be wrong but that's what I've experienced so far in the last 3 months.

RC cars is my other expensive hobby besides transforming robots. Damn things are always breaking. Plus it’s something fun my son and I can do together. 

3 hours ago, Silverstreak said:

RC cars is my other expensive hobby besides transforming robots. Damn things are always breaking. Plus it’s something fun my son and I can do together. 

A buddy of mine does that King Of The Hammers off road racing stuff with this nutball fully customized rig (it was never an actual truck). He got into RC truck stuff for a bit. He said to me about it:

"That RC stuff is 1/10 scale. And the price of the hobby is also 1/10 scale. I had to get out of that. I can't afford two race operations":D

I bought A Losi DB a couple of years ago. After the lipo packs, charger, and rebuilding the thing 4 times over I realized Macross was probably the cheaper of the two hobbies. It seems for about every $100 you throw at an RC car you get 20 minutes of fun.

27 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

So these are RC Macross DX 1/48 VF-1’s or are we just getting off topic? :touche::hi:Haha

oh could you just imagine! a flying transforming Valkyrie! Think I'll take off in battroid mode and fly around a bit in fighter mode and land in gerwalk today! :D

If anyone is still looking to get a VF-1J, I took a bit of a gamble and bought a used one off of AJP that claimed it was actually NiB, unopened and fulfilled by Amazon but with "scratches on the box".  It arrived on time and exactly as described, super happy with it.  It was still expensive but it was a way better price than I could find anywhere else.  I've seen a couple more pop up since then with the same or similar description.

2 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

2 Questions for the team here: 

Does the new Yamato stand have the capability of holding the DX VF-1?

Does Yeti Stand make a an adapter for the DX-VF-1?  The site in yeti says the DX adaptors are for frontier and doesn’t mention the 1:48 DX VF-1.

5 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

2 Questions for the team here: 

Does the new Yamato stand have the capability of holding the DX VF-1?

Does Yeti Stand make a an adapter for the DX-VF-1?  The site in yeti says the DX adaptors are for frontier and doesn’t mention the 1:48 DX VF-1.

The Arcadia launch arm does not have an adapter for any DX valkyries, so you would need a custom adapter to use any Bandai valkyries with it. 

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the DX VF-1 uses the same size connector as other DX valkyries, so it should work with the DX adapter on the Yeti site. I'll try it out when I get home.