Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

8 minutes ago, gerwookie said:

Very nice mimic of that scene. I love rifle holding poses. Arms tucked in nice and close. Wish we could bring it up straight out from the chest with the stock against the chest like modern rifle holding stance, holding it up to eyes, but eh it’s a giant robot, it doesn’t need to look down sights.

Yeah, they don't need sights. But it looks cool!

Magpul-Stance.jpg

Edited by sqidd

23 minutes ago, Californium said:

Loving my 1A Max.  I still think it's crazy that such a plot-heavy scheme never got a chunky-monkey release, and I'm really happy to have it now in the form of a stellar DX. 

My only quibble would be the overlong head-laser.  They made this thing a frickin' narwhal.  I cut off nearly 7/16th of an inch within a few hours of opening the beast up, (and drilled and sanded and polished back to factory fresh -- I'm no barbarian), and it's still a little bit longer than the lasers on the 1J.  And, I think, looks nicely like most of the animation and lineart now.  I attached some post-surgery pics.  

A few notes:

- Not a big deal, but I do wish the shoulder lights were more orange than yellow.

- The yellow for the wingtip and back-of-hands light-strips are a deeper yellow on this release.  I think I prefer the paler yellow on the 1J.   

- Swing-bar connection is much tighter on this release.  Never bothered me on the 1J, but for those that complained, looks like it won't be an issue going forward.  (At least, if my sample is anything to go by.)

Awesome release.  Bring on the 1D and the TV-style 1A cannon fodder.

aaP1000465.jpg.cc6266b99fe2e282231cb77ca38a6f4a.jpg

aaP1000471.jpg.21eb51365262981602e8b4993aed607d.jpg

aaP1000466.jpg

aaP1000458.jpg

aaP1000459.jpg

aaP1000468.jpg

Post circumcision ;) Great job. I still prefer him stock, but your toy and we all have different tastes. Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

20191013_115317.thumb.jpg.9d2c29c107c48de187e346457ca32af3.jpg

I had to settle by putting Miria at the back. I have the feeling, she wont like this very much, being a Zentraedi and all.

2 hours ago, F360 said:

I think you just need a taller riser:D . with that we will be able to see Miria hovering in the back

This is a job for a Yeti detolf adapter. 

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Good find!

I used it to lift up my Armored VF-25S and YF-29 Durandal Alto with Super Parts, which allowed me to move my YF-19 and VF-2SS to the right and park Max on the left. The Monster is a bit boxed in right now, but I'll figure something out. Also considering some Yeti stand options as more of the 1/48s are released.

20191013_161843.jpg

4 hours ago, gerwookie said:

Very nice mimic of that scene. I love rifle holding poses. Arms tucked in nice and close. Wish we could bring it up straight out from the chest with the stock against the chest like modern rifle holding stance, holding it up to eyes, but eh it’s a giant robot, it doesn’t need to look down sights.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Yeah i started to notice the vertical empty space in my Detolfs recently. This is why i got those tamashii action stands a while back. the risers are a great idea/solution!

455689259_displaygroupshot.thumb.jpg.ab3d79c036f540bef200f02d76ef1c44.jpg

That top left display of them all flying in formation is awesome. Are those the Tamashi action stands you’re referring to?

1 hour ago, canklebreaker said:

That top left display of them all flying in formation is awesome. Are those the Tamashi action stands you’re referring to?

I got these initially, for the price. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WV067XQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then i found them in clear, so i combined them to make them extra tall.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/87713

I think a riser here and there might distribute the fleet even better

143741729_HMRsegment.thumb.jpg.cd034ca42b5e0e9d95c853b52c1fb1ee.jpg

Before

235068341_macrossjam4.thumb.jpg.fbcf39a07ad44b76fcdfd21ac540d82f.jpg

After

DX VF-1J Max Hik.jpg

Also, what are these locks? And are they scary to live with? :rofl:

@db626 What are these locks? where did you get them? Did you cut glass for it, or did you get acrylic layers?

Thanks in advance. :drinks:

detolf lock.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

TV vs movie and a hope that Bandai gives us a blue 1S. :rolleyes:

387536242_VF-1AMaxTV26c.thumb.jpg.1cec383b163c5d02d915b28146a5511a.jpg

It is amazing how these animators drew an awesomely articulated Valkyrie out of Kawamori's art. Here we are in 2019 recreating these frames with the newest computer assisted "toys".  I know the animation had a lot of errors, but that's what now makes it special. Frame by frame with sweat tears and ink, they made this possible. I rememebr thinking as a kid, they will never be able to make a proper transforming toy that could recreate the poses from the show, but here we are today. 

6 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

@vlenhoff thanks for the info! Would those stands be able to support the DX line as well?

6 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

The tamashii stands are only for the HM & HMR line.

Actually i have seen the tamashii trident stands being used for the DX by some JP users.
If using the standalone, you could also arrange 3 individual stands, 1 holding the nose, 2 holding the legs, tho it has to be on a very stable platform to begin with...

17 hours ago, Californium said:

Loving my 1A Max.  I still think it's crazy that such a plot-heavy scheme never got a chunky-monkey release, and I'm really happy to have it now in the form of a stellar DX. My only quibble would be the overlong head-laser.  They made this thing a frickin' narwhal.  I cut off nearly 7/16th of an inch within a few hours of opening the beast up, (and drilled and sanded and polished back to factory fresh -- I'm no barbarian), and it's still a little bit longer than the lasers on the 1J.  And, I think, looks nicely like most of the animation and lineart now.  I attached some post-surgery pics.  

A few notes:

- Not a big deal, but I do wish the shoulder lights were more orange than yellow.

- The yellow for the wingtip and back-of-hands light-strips are a deeper yellow on this release.  I think I prefer the paler yellow on the 1J.   

- Swing-bar connection is much tighter on this release.  Never bothered me on the 1J, but for those that complained, looks like it won't be an issue going forward.  (At least, if my sample is anything to go by.)

aaP1000459.jpg

Amazing work, wow! Yes I thought the laser canon was a bit long too, but I am fine with it. Your work is fantastic, wow congratulations!. That's just perfect plastic sculpting right there! A little distraction, or excessive force anywhere, and it would have been ruined. Great job! :good:

5 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Actually i have seen the tamashii trident stands being used for the DX by some JP users.
If using the standalone, you could also arrange 3 individual stands, 1 holding the nose, 2 holding the legs, tho it has to be on a very stable platform to begin with...

I stand corrected.

I haven't fully transformed my Max-1A out of valk-mode, yet, but the narwhal-laser was a bit tight to move on mine.

I actually thought it might actually broke in two while I was initially moviing it away to get to open the front landing gear.  Had to hold and move it at the thicker bottom end rather than the usual top end I do with my old yammies.

I felt the long length and the seemingly thinner diameter of the DX 1A narwhal-laser makes it a bit fragile to me than my old yammies (1/48 and 1/60v2s).

Edited by treatment

Found some pics!

Not exactly the example with a bandai 1/60 DX  and inverted cradle though.

But principle remains, dont ask me how it works from the pic!

Dtis6YSU4AEYPKR.thumb.jpg.a77c2d8a226484ad49cba3884e9698e3.jpgDpX9422U0AA4BkL.thumb.jpg.69c701c2c5462d2c006e18b95404a51d.jpg

Hmm...and no, i havent seen 1/48 DX  VF-1 on a trident stand come to thk abt it...

Anyone want to try? My trident stand is unopened deep in storage somewhere...

Edited by seti88

6 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Found some pics!

Dtis6YSU4AEYPKR.thumb.jpg.a77c2d8a226484ad49cba3884e9698e3.jpgDpX9422U0AA4BkL.thumb.jpg.69c701c2c5462d2c006e18b95404a51d.jpg

Hmm...and no, i havent seen 1/48 DX  VF-1 on a trident stand come to thk abt it...

Ooooo, buddy. That looks sketchy.

11 hours ago, seti88 said:

Found some pics!

It’s all balance.  I’ve balanced my Konig Monster in Fighter mode on Tamashii stands before.  If I transform my DX VF-1 back to Fighter mode I can try to prop it on my Trident stand.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, Californium said:

Loving my 1A Max.  I still think it's crazy that such a plot-heavy scheme never got a chunky-monkey release, and I'm really happy to have it now in the form of a stellar DX. 

My only quibble would be the overlong head-laser.  They made this thing a frickin' narwhal.  I cut off nearly 7/16th of an inch within a few hours of opening the beast up, (and drilled and sanded and polished back to factory fresh -- I'm no barbarian), and it's still a little bit longer than the lasers on the 1J.  And, I think, looks nicely like most of the animation and lineart now.  I attached some post-surgery pics.  

A few notes:

aaP1000465.jpg.cc6266b99fe2e282231cb77ca38a6f4a.jpg

aaP1000471.jpg.21eb51365262981602e8b4993aed607d.jpg

aaP1000466.jpg

aaP1000458.jpg

aaP1000459.jpg

aaP1000468.jpg

Lol, I was wondering why yours looked so much better.  Nice clean work.

I just realised that the packaging for the 1/48 isn't like the thick fold boxes of the VF-31 or the YF-19, which is rather disappointing. Sorry for stating the obvious. I thought the Max would have gone back to this style. 

31 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I was literally looking at my inbox when the sale email popped up. Almost wasn't going to bother to check since NY sales are kinda lame. Lo behold The Max 1a DX was there for 18000. I jumped on it since i couldn't nab one at preorder time or since without paying a crazy price. Wow i might continue with this line after all. Just need to snag a 1S.