Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, Kuma Style said:

I prefer the fixed posed hands but I think it'd be different if the articulated ones weren't so little and spindly looking to me. I understand the size is necessary for the transformation even but they just don't do anything for me. 

My dream would be for the DYRL hands with fu articulation. 

I guess to a lot of Macross collectors, these DX articulated hands are a godsend and huge improvement over what we are used to from Yamato and Arcadia, where fixed hands are a must. It’s funny, you have me here saying I don’t care about fixed pose hands and in the Yamato 1/48 thread, I’m asking if there are options to get fixed poses hands!

3 hours ago, theraiden said:

Tip regarding slow shipping times from Nippon Yasan,

2 times now on 2 separate orders the "Preparation time" has gone over 3 days and on both occasions i opened a support ticket asking POLITELY when the order will ship.
In both cases the order shipped the next day, so if you are impatient just open a ticket :)

Shhhhh. Think about the domino effect of sharing that here. If everyone does it, it won’t work any longer. :touche:

It’s not just the crew here, it’s all of the lurkers this thread has. Haha. I know others wouldn’t agree with me, but think about it for a second. Natural deduction. :D

In all honesty I get way too many packages sent to my home and I don't like explaining that to my wife haha! I'm actually in the other camp where I wish they had a private warehouse so I can space out my deliveries better. I still have a VF-31E still sitting in a warehouse just waiting for the right time to ship it =)

35 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I guess to a lot of Macross collectors, these DX articulated hands are a godsend and huge improvement over what we are used to from Yamato and Arcadia, where fixed hands are a must. It’s funny, you have me here saying I don’t care about fixed pose hands and in the Yamato 1/48 thread, I’m asking if there are options to get fixed poses hands!

The 1/48 Yammie chicken hands were pretty notoriously ugly and tiny though, it's not surprising you would want a better option. :p

Personally, I'd much rather have DYRL-style mechanical hands than the TV-style Michelin Man gloves.  The articulated hands on the DX aren't by any means bad, but they are a weird hybrid that doesn't quite match either style, so I generally just stick with the DYRL-style fixed-pose ones.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

In all honesty I get way too many packages sent to my home and I don't like explaining that to my wife haha! I'm actually in the other camp where I wish they had a private warehouse so I can space out my deliveries better. I still have a VF-31E still sitting in a warehouse just waiting for the right time to ship it =)

Private warehouses and tactical shipping decisions are key elements of my marital survival strategy

12 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

You beat me to it. I was just digging up the same pictures. Those are definitely TV hands. I could see Bandai charging $25/set for these (just because they can), given that the missiles were $35/set. Six small pieces of plastic for $25....

12 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Having to pay extra for TV hands for a TV valkyrie. Bandai, you really are the Comcast of toy makers. 

Coming from a Games Workshop world, a price like that wouldn't phase me one bit LOL.

10 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I don't care about extra hands. In this case, the stock articulated hands are excellent.

I feel the same way!  The extra hands remind me too much of:

71DIO0mi+cL._SY679_.jpg

Edited by Digitalfiend

4 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Private warehouses and tactical shipping decisions are key elements of my marital survival strategy

The wife and I separated our money completely about 5yrs ago. Best thing that ever happened to our mirage. 

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

It's posts like these that actually make me happy I'm new.

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

The wife and I separated our money completely about 5yrs ago. Best thing that ever happened to our mirage. 

Quoting Troy McLure:  "The only difference between our marriage and anyone else's is, we know ours is a sham"

9 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

Coming from a Games Workshop world, a price like that wouldn't phase me one bit LOL.

I feel the same way!  The extra hands remind me too much of:

71DIO0mi+cL._SY679_.jpg

Ha ha ha Mickey hands!  Now I can't unsee that.  Right up there with frog face on Tomahawk

I prefer the DYRL mechanical hands myself, so I'm happy Bandai included plenty of those, including the articulated hands. But these are TV valkyries and there are peeps who prefer the TV accurate clown hands, and it's pretty crappy to make them pay extra for a few pieces of unpainted plastic.

It's always going to cost way more to sell them separately than to just include them with the valkyrie. Even 2000 yen would be highway robbery, imo. 

Just now, Lolicon said:

I prefer the DYRL mechanical hands myself, so I'm happy Bandai included plenty of those, including the articulated hands. But these are TV valkyries and there are peeps who prefer the TV accurate clown hands, and it's pretty crappy to make them pay extra for a few pieces of unpainted plastic.

It's always going to cost way more to sell them separately than to just include them with the valkyrie. Even 2000 yen would be highway robbery, imo. 

Bandai: Point taken, we will release a painted Option TV clown hands.

2 minutes ago, Digitalfiend said:

I think I've started down the rabbit hole... started with Max, then a missile set, then a super parts pre-order & vf-1s to go with that...and just received my HMR VF-1D with a VF-1J Super Valk Max ver on the way for my daughter.  I've got to stop lol...

enjoy!:hi:

9 minutes ago, Digitalfiend said:

I think I've started down the rabbit hole... started with Max, then a missile set, then a super parts pre-order & vf-1s to go with that...and just received my HMR VF-1D with a VF-1J Super Valk Max ver on the way for my daughter.  I've got to stop lol...

You've already taken the red pill, might as well see how deep the rabbit hole goes.  

7 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

I know how you feel, i got DX VF-1J, 2x DX Max, 2x pre-order VF-1S on the way, 4 DX Strike sets on pre-order, 2x missile sets and now in the last week 3x HMR Valkyrie's.
All in the last 3 months... It's like an addiction, but i have no regrets cause these are absolutely beautiful pieces of pop culture that hold they're value well. And i get to experience the childhood excitement that i didn't get when i was a kid cause of poverty. That's priceless :)

Edited by theraiden

3 hours ago, theraiden said:

I know how you feel, i got DX VF-1J, 2x DX Max, 2x pre-order VF-1S on the way, 4 DX Strike sets on pre-order, 2x missile sets and now in the last week 3x HMR Valkyrie's.
All in the last 3 months... It's like an addiction, but i have no regrets cause these are absolutely beautiful pieces of pop culture that hold they're value well. And i get to experience the childhood excitement that i didn't get when i was a kid cause of poverty. That's priceless :)

Yeah I was 9 when Robotech came out on TV in Canada.  I was obsessed with that show and got into the Palladium Robotech RPG, IMAI model kits (iirc), Macross related art/toys, etc.  My dad was awesome with stuff like that.  

With my daughter now the same age I was when I first got into these cartoons/toys, it’s been a blast rediscovering all of this.  Macross has aged surprisingly well.  

Edited by Digitalfiend

17 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i'm holding out for a bootleg maker one day to sell it for 10 dollars. Taobao can't make em fast enough:rolleyes:

Honestly, just pick up the Hasegawa 1/48 sets.  Unlike Bandai, Hasegawa loves reissuing things so people can keep buying them. :lol:  Little bit of work to prep them, but even the unassembled kit is between $15 and $20 as I recall.  Don't think you'll get much below that for 1/48, though Amazon has the 1/72 set for about $12.

I'm seriously considering diving down the 3D printing rabbit hole though, and seeing about making some fancy adapter pylons and ordnance for my VF-1s and VF-31s.  As much as I love that we've got ones available from Shapeways, the clean-up and prep-work with Shapeways prints is intense, and I feel like it'd be less work to make my own.

Edited by Chronocidal

40 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Honestly, just pick up the Hasegawa 1/48 sets.  Unlike Bandai, Hasegawa loves reissuing things so people can keep buying them. :lol:  Little bit of work to prep them, but even the unassembled kit is between $15 and $20 as I recall.

Have you fitted ordnance from a 1/48 Hasegawa set to a DX VF-1 ? Do the pylons fit the holes on the wings and if not, what kind of prep is needed?

*EDIT* Nevermind, not gonna work for me according to this pic
https://i0.wp.com/codyscoop.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/DSC_6094.jpg

Edited by theraiden

Oh, it will absolutely take prep work, but it's very doable.  I know at least one person doing the mod who posted pictures in one of the other forum sections here.  All I'm saying is that if the DX missile sets aren't available at a reasonable price, the Hasegawa sets will be your next best bet, and readily available if you want to try it.

The biggest thing (outside of actually building and painting them) is that you need to replace sections of the pylons with hand-made mounts compatible with the Bandai VF-1 hardpoints.  

I did buy the official missile sets, but I'm still considering making my own pylons, because Bandai made the weapon mounts so stubby that the missiles all collide with the wing flaps. :rolleyes: 

Edit: In other news, my Max 1A arrived today, and looks good!  Checked the shoulders, and no issues with those parts.  Nosecone also definitely snaps shut better, since Bandai added a visible ridge on the tab to lock into place.  Wing flaps feel a little looser than my Hikaru versions, but not bad.  Generally looks really good. ^_^ 

Now to wait for Hikaru and the strike packs I ordered, and see if they get here before Bandai finishes releasing VF-1s.

Edited by Chronocidal