Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Nice Ranka figure you got there. I'm surprised she survived the prior cull... actually, I'm not surprised. :D

yeah I kept her as she was my favorite of all the Macross girly figures I had. She's photo bombing the photo too! Which wasn't even intentional! :lol:

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

It's good to see that display case again with a VF-1 in it!! :D

It is! And tomorrow I should have the DX YF-19! the two parcels were sent together but this one got help up in customs for a couple days for what ever reason..

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Congrats @spanner on getting a DX VF-1J back!  Nice display!  Also congrats on the DX YF-19.  Hope you got an excellent deal for both together.

Thanks! Haha! Nahhh they were expensive as I got em from NY.. :lol::unsure:

2 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

A great haul and sexy shelves... can't ask for much more than that! 

:D thanks! The shelves are starting to look much better with more Macross goodies on them again! 

11 hours ago, gabuyan said:

You can't use normal primer. You need metal primer, so that it sticks on the metal.

I suspect as much. So was glad that @Lolicon confirm what primer will be the right one. :) 

11 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I use Tamiya surface primer, which can be used on metal. 

Ok, will get the white Tamiya surface primer. Amazon have the white and clear version.

The more I handle the DX VF-1, the more I appreciate the simple, but effective, improvements Bandai has made to make this toy more enjoyable when compared to the OG Yamcadias (which is still really good). This toy is so beautiful in all modes and nothing is overcomplicated. Sure the DX VF-31 is more impressive to many people, but the VF-1 keeps everything simple, which I love. I have zero complaints about the DX VF-1. Some people appear slightly disappointed that this rendition of the VF-1 is more of an evolution than a revolution. I honestly don't know what more Bandai could have done to improve it without compromising the essence of the VF-1's simplicity. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Improvements that add to the experience of handling the toy are welcomed though. :)

Edited by Foblander

There are so many modern Transformers and other transforming robots that I just don't want to pick up and transform since it takes so long or isn't enjoyable. The VF-1 DX is not one of these. I quite often get the urge to pick it up and transform it just to enjoy the experience and to reveal one of the other great modes!

1 hour ago, peter said:

Yes. I tried them back in Jan after the initial release when prices spiked. They issued an EMS tracking number, but after two weeks of JapanPost never recognizing it, I opened a case with PayPal. They never responded to PayPal so I was finally reimbursed.

There are so many scammer around it is scary. I have an open case with PalPay about another scammer for USD$249. The case is under review till 31st Oct (such a long time) and I hope they will side with me at the end (bitting my finger nail).

How much money did PayPal lose to these a year? Must be a very big number.

7 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

You forgot a pilot that doesn't rattle around in the seat... Or a TV release with more than 2 TV fixed-pose hands...

Wasn't there a point when it looked like they were going to sell a hands add-on kit? Maybe people just saw all the fixed posed hands and thought that they must be an extra accessory.

29 minutes ago, jenius said:

Wasn't there a point when it looked like they were going to sell a hands add-on kit? Maybe people just saw all the fixed posed hands and thought that they must be an extra accessory.

I would buy a ton of fixed pose hands if I could get my hands on them (see what I did there?).

I would love a few "gun hands" for the left arm so I could do some dual wielding poses.

7 hours ago, spanner said:

Thanks! Haha! Nahhh they were expensive as I got em from NY.. :lol::unsure:

I would have sold you my DX YF-19 for original price plus shipping but it’s all good and everything worked out.

38 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Or a TV release with more than 2 TV fixed-pose hands...

I want more TV hands.

5D88A1E3-86F6-431A-8FB5-FF73BEF8E6EB.thumb.jpeg.74e706a11dc967b342fd324249560f6f.jpeg

I want to do this pose with my DX but will have to settle with using DYRL hands.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

You forgot a pilot that doesn't rattle around in the seat... Or a TV release with more than 2 TV fixed-pose hands...

For pilots that won't stay in their seat during, uh, evasive maneuvers, I just put a tiny chunk of blue tack on their butt before sticking them in the cockpit. Keeps them nice and secure in their seat. 

2 hours ago, jenius said:

If I remember correctly, they showed the super/strike parts, gbp, missile set, and hands all in cad/wireframe form just before the Hikaru 1J actually released.  

Since we knew it didn't come with missiles, and basically everything else there would be add-ons/TWE, some people assumed the hands they were showing would also be extra accessories/TWE.  I'm glad it turned out that they weren't, but I also think we're sorely lacking in TV-style hands for TV releases.  A couple fists would have been nice.

Here are the pics that had us wondering:

B7D65540-D711-4566-9387-F7BC1397B0CC.jpeg

04979E29-BCCB-463F-88AB-160896CC29CE.jpeg

It's really hard to tell from just that, but those kind of look like TV fists to me.  It even says "TV version" below them...  Maybe they are just the DYRL fists we got?  

The integrated articulated hands look a lot like DYRL hands.  I don't know whey they felt the need to make so many fixed-posed DYRL hands.  We can just use the articulated hands for most of those posed if we want DYRL style.

Edited by HardlyNever

9 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

If I remember correctly, they showed the super/strike parts, gbp, missile set, and hands all in cad/wireframe form just before the Hikaru 1J actually released.  

Since we knew it didn't come with missiles, and basically everything else there would be add-ons/TWE, some people assumed the hands they were showing would also be extra accessories/TWE.  I'm glad it turned out that they weren't, but I also think we're sorely lacking in TV-style hands for TV releases.  A couple fists would have been nice.

Here are the pics that had us wondering:

B7D65540-D711-4566-9387-F7BC1397B0CC.jpeg

04979E29-BCCB-463F-88AB-160896CC29CE.jpeg

It's really hard to tell from just that, but those kind of look like TV fists to me.  It even says "TV version" below them...  Maybe they are just the DYRL fists we got?  

The integrated articulated hands look a lot like DYRL hands.  I don't know whey they felt the need to make so many fixed-posed DYRL hands.  We can just use the articulated hands for most of those posed if we want DYRL style.

You beat me to it. I was just digging up the same pictures. Those are definitely TV hands. I could see Bandai charging $25/set for these (just because they can), given that the missiles were $35/set. Six small pieces of plastic for $25....

I wonder if the hands included so far are actually a mistake... they were supposed to all be TV hands. We do get two hands that are shown in that "option parts" set (gun holding and open hand). The only thing we didn't get were the TV fists.

11 hours ago, Matt Random said:

There are so many modern Transformers and other transforming robots that I just don't want to pick up and transform since it takes so long or isn't enjoyable. The VF-1 DX is not one of these. I quite often get the urge to pick it up and transform it just to enjoy the experience and to reveal one of the other great modes!

This.  Some MP take half an hour to transform.  This DX like the Yammies are like the old chunky monkeys - easy to transform.

11 hours ago, Foblander said:

The more I handle the DX VF-1, the more I appreciate the simple, but effective, improvements Bandai has made to make this toy more enjoyable when compared to the OG Yamcadias (which is still really good). This toy is so beautiful in all modes and nothing is overcomplicated. Sure the DX VF-31 is more impressive to many people, but the VF-1 keeps everything simple, which I love. I have zero complaints about the DX VF-1. Some people appear slightly disappointed that this rendition of the VF-1 is more of an evolution than a revolution. I honestly don't know what more Bandai could have done to improve it without compromising the essence of the VF-1's simplicity. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Improvements that add to the experience of handling the toy are welcomed though. :)

BAndai could make window boxes with lids like the Yammie boxes for collectors who don't like to open their mint boxes.  A  better DYRL launch arm stand.  making preorders available to everyone.  Pilots that are big enough to hold the joystick.  Flight crew that came with the destroids.  A better swing bar.

Bandai really did a good job on this valk.  It's not groudbreaking, but it's the best valk on the market.  

12 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I don't care about extra hands. In this case, the stock articulated hands are excellent.

I like the extra hands, and I like the articulated hands because middle fingers! and I don't have to swap them out all the time when I transform the valk cuz the Yammie hands were so small.

1 minute ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, I like the extra hands. Just don't care about them either way. Glad to have them, wouldn't miss them if they weren't there. If they sold more extra hands, I'd buy them just to have and probably never use them. So I prefer they don't try to sell more hands.

Some third party or Arcadia should make articulated hands for the 1/48 and 1/60, I'd buy those.  Also maybe articulated cartoon hands for DX.  

And Bandai should make the stands have a tray to hold all the hands, etc.

Tip regarding slow shipping times from Nippon Yasan,

2 times now on 2 separate orders the "Preparation time" has gone over 3 days and on both occasions i opened a support ticket asking POLITELY when the order will ship.
In both cases the order shipped the next day, so if you are impatient just open a ticket :)

7 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, I like the extra hands. Just don't care about them either way. Glad to have them, wouldn't miss them if they weren't there. If they sold more extra hands, I'd buy them just to have and probably never use them. So I prefer they don't try to sell more hands.

I prefer the fixed posed hands but I think it'd be different if the articulated ones weren't so little and spindly looking to me. I understand the size is necessary for the transformation even but they just don't do anything for me. 

My dream would be for the DYRL hands with fu articulation.