Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

No, I paid roughly $270 plus nearly $40 on preorder night, and NY still "processing" my order. I don't even have a tracking number yet.

Hang in there. I did the exactly the same thing and mine finally "shipped" on Friday (Japan Time). Looks like it's somewhere between Osaka and Los Angeles right now.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Meh, it is what it is. I wasn't fired up about this one anyway.

I was going skip this one and try for it later. But AJ had good pricing and probably cheap than the second hand market later. Now that I have placed a few orders it is a matter principles and getting what I ordered. 

6 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

I was going skip this one and try for it later. But AJ had good pricing and probably cheap than the second hand market later. Now that I have placed a few orders it is a matter principles and getting what I ordered. 

Yeah, I feel your frustration. They took my order. Now fill it.

3 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Am I one of the few people that prefer Hikarus 1S to roys?

I think the Hikaru's 1S color scheme edges out the Roy color scheme just by a tiny  tiny bit.. But I still prefer to have a Roy 1S for my collection and just get the 1J for Hikaru. To be more minimal, for the VF-1s I try to keep it to one valk per character that I like. Vermillion Squadron plus Roy :)

Same situation with Amazon Japan.  One is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but they haven't even charged my credit card yet, so... I'm not too hopeful about that one.

I decided to try another vendor yesterday, and they at least charged my credit card.  Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I'm taking it as a good sign that they might actually have the product.

11 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Yeah....I don't think that will ever happen.  HG and Robotech own the licensing for that outside of Japan and already sued Hasbro recently just for appearing like maybe the SDCC GI Joe/Transformers crossover Jetfire looked like the VF-1S.  (They lost the suit...but shows HG is trigger happy.)

I doubt we'd see the crossover in Japan for Bandai and Hasbro, but it would be a sweet middle finger to HG if they ever did!  Though I suppose this has now got off-topic and I digress.

DYRL Hikkie VF-1S is the only red VF-1S I need. :)

Oh wow; I certainly didn't knowall of that and appreciate the insight. 

6 hours ago, sqidd said:

Has anyone that got in on this $215 Amazon deal seen more action than this?

Max Amazon.jpg

No, not yet. I'm just waiting it out though, as it's my understanding that to be listed as "fulfilled by Amazon", the stock had to be in had at a distribution center. At least, that's what Amazon's website says. 

It’s not uncommon for it to take quite awhile for 3rd party to ship. Even direct from AJ took 3 days to actually be charged and shipped last week. I think it took about a week for a VF-31 Valk I ordered there 3rd part/fulfilled by AJ to charge and ship. Most of you are just hitting a week or close to it.

7 minutes ago, Foblander said:

Where did you order from? I might grab a set if still available.

NY still has it available at their original price but it is the later batch as any you find will probably be.

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/28386-super-dimension-fortress-macross-dx-chogokin-movie-vf-1-strike-super-parts-set-limited-edition.html

I ordered some from FromJapan before NY reopened so I might order some more from NY at some point, lol.

54 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

NY still has it available at their original price but it is the later batch as any you find will probably be.

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/28386-super-dimension-fortress-macross-dx-chogokin-movie-vf-1-strike-super-parts-set-limited-edition.html

I ordered some from FromJapan before NY reopened so I might order some more from NY at some point, lol.

Early January or April isn't a huge deal but what is considered a "late" order? Its still a full three months from the estimated release date so maybe I could still get them in early Jan?

2 minutes ago, spanner said:

Early January or April isn't a huge deal but what is considered a "late" order? Its still a full three months from the estimated release date so maybe I could still get them in early Jan?

The strike packs for the DX VF-1s were a little weird.  They are TWE, but for some reason, the first run had a very limited number of units available (scheduled to be released in late December 2019).  So they announced and took orders for a second run (scheduled to be released in late April 2020), a few days after they took orders for the initial run.

I'm not really sure why they did it like that, but they just said demand was higher than expected or something.

You can see the separate releases here.  If you're ordering from anywhere at this point, I'd say it's a safe bet your units will be from the second batch.  I got in on the first batch, but because I ordered multiples, I still think I might not get my order until the second wave is out.  Or maybe they will split my order up.

10 minutes ago, spanner said:

Looks like you got your answer. It was a weird release as TWE usually stay open for months and this first wave lasted days. The second wave is more like it. 

Yeah, Bandai shot themselves in the foot with the strike packs, due to the way they released them.  Since they included swappable colored skull insignias for the entire squad, they showed their hand for future releases, and it somehow didn't dawn on them that people, knowing how often TWE items are re-released, would buy multiple sets ahead of time to use on future DX VF-1s.

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, Bandai shot themselves in the foot with the strike packs, due to the way they released them.  Since they included swappable colored skull insignias for the entire squad, they showed their hand for future releases, and it somehow didn't dawn on them that people, knowing how often TWE items are re-released, would buy multiple sets ahead of time to use on future DX VF-1s.

Speaking of which, isn’t it completely unheard of for a TWE to be reissued? I don’t count the fast packs since that seems more like an extended run but they just announced another release of missile sets. 

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I got in late, but I did exactly that. Lot's of S&S parts.

32 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Speaking of which, isn’t it completely unheard of for a TWE to be reissued? I don’t count the fast packs since that seems more like an extended run but they just announced another release of missile sets. 

It's not completely unheard of, since I believe they do reissue certain products sold on the TWE site, like certain Gundam kits, and possibly some of the other related merchandise.

Their history with Macross TWE items though has been a case of "better buy it during the first run, or may God have mercy on your wallet."  The most painfully egregious case was the VF-25 armor packs.  Despite reissuing both Alto's and Ozma's VF-25s multiple times, the armor packs were never sold again.  You know.. despite the fact that Ozma was never seen without his, and his set was basically the most iconic mech design in the entire series.

Everyone invested in Bandai Macross merchandise knows their standard operating procedure, so when Bandai issues a product that is designed to be compatible with a pile of products they haven't even confessed that they're making yet, you buy the exclusive pieces in advance.

I hadn't heard about the re-release of the missiles, but maybe there's hope that this strike pack pre-order mess drilled into their head how terrible their treatment of their customers is with those sorts of exclusive extras, and releasing a single production run of an extra that applies to an entire product line that may go for several years still is just an incredibly stupid idea.

Edited by Chronocidal

16 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I hadn't heard about the re-release of the missiles, but maybe there's hope that this strike pack pre-order mess drilled into their head how terrible their treatment of their customers is with those sorts of exclusive extras, and releasing a single production run of an extra that applies to an entire product line that may go for several years still is just an incredibly stupid idea.

missiles due to be on sale again next summer.

37 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

It's not completely unheard of, since I believe they do reissue certain products sold on the TWE site, like certain Gundam kits, and possibly some of the other related merchandise.

Their history with Macross TWE items though has been a case of "better buy it during the first run, or may God have mercy on your wallet."  The most painfully egregious case was the VF-25 armor packs.  Despite reissuing both Alto's and Ozma's VF-25s multiple times, the armor packs were never sold again.  You know.. despite the fact that Ozma was never seen without his, and his set was basically the most iconic mech design in the entire series.

Everyone invested in Bandai Macross merchandise knows their standard operating procedure, so when Bandai issues a product that is designed to be compatible with a pile of products they haven't even confessed that they're making yet, you buy the exclusive pieces in advance.

Yeah, I just buy now ask questions later. 

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Quoting for new collectors. This is basically the operating guideline of Bandai for Macross. Gundam is different wherein they are able to re-issue or release multiple decal variant of the same toy.