Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Opened up Max and took a few shots in the new hangar.

First, the usual minor quibbles that most of us are already aware of:

-tiny pilot figure

-unpainted landing gear

-no ejection seat markings

-no modex number on the wing

Otherwise, a fantastic bird and the best iteration of the VF-1 to date.

My first order of business will be to paint the landing gear white. Hopefully the tampo printing is less shoddy this time around and won't rub off with only a little gentle handing. :p

351474204_VF-1AMaxTV01.jpg.6b528d9e9bd82bb6e47a2b266f5b2db3.jpg

1037375080_VF-1AMaxTV02.jpg.734773c7c3af2c001c0c61b19899b5fc.jpg

1541435693_VF-1AMaxTV03.jpg.f6b4c89e4fe48b4f5bcbe21214e672f2.jpg

This isn't a complaint, but I'm curious why Bandai decided to give us the space helmet version of Max in his flight suit, instead of giving us the open face version like Hikaru.

Is Bandai going to cheap out from here on and give us this space version only? Because I demand an extra large Kakizaki pilot figure for his 1A release!

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

When I see your DX Valks in that display case, they better stay there this time! :lol::D

Hehe! They will this time I promise! 

Even though I do regret selling off ALL of them, it did enable me to get other things I needed sorting out done. Yes I should have kept a few but that's in the past. And now to the future! DX!

Well, I was wondering when my HLJ VF-1A would show up in the PW, so I checked... and apparently I missed the purchase notice email on the 20th.

Well, at least it's set for shipping now.

...Still waiting for the AJ seller as well.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Opened up Max and took a few shots in the new hangar.

First, the usual minor quibbles that most of us are already aware of:

-tiny pilot figure

-unpainted landing gear

-no ejection seat markings

-no modex number on the wing

Otherwise, a fantastic bird and the best iteration of the VF-1 to date.

My first order of business will be to paint the landing gear white. Hopefully the tampo printing is less shoddy this time around and won't rub off with only a little gentle handing. :p

351474204_VF-1AMaxTV01.jpg.6b528d9e9bd82bb6e47a2b266f5b2db3.jpg

Great pics!!

As I'm looking at my Yamcadia 1/60s, although the TV VF-1A's may look a bit plain with lots of white, overall it shows off the sleek fighter silhouette a bit more than the DYRL VF-1 valks, from the way the lines flow from nosecone, over the cockpit and to the back until the tail.

9 hours ago, gerwookie said:

Feels like my amazon seller is taking forever. Gah! Note to self don’t cancel HLJ next time and that you actually are able to cancel the amazon order after the street date is past. Anyone else hear from mykombini, amiami? 

AmiAmi shipping notice received 5 hours ago.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

3 hours ago, Smacky said:

Thanks for this!  For some reason I thought this was a link to the 1S and I almost soiled myself.  Gotta get my hands on one of those!

So is it reasonable to assume that there will likely be some stock of VF-1S, for however briefly, on or just before release day?  I know the VF-1A is nowhere near as in demand (i.e. I lucked out) but I have to hope that AJ or one of the various exporters would have some VF-1S extras (or resales at markup)...  I figure I'm going to end up paying quite a bit more than I did for the VF-1A, but as long as I can get one (at reasonable mark up prices...none of this $500-600 nonsense), I'll be happy. :)

I guess alternatively I could just get the VF-1J and call it a day...

Edited by Digitalfiend

Just now, Digitalfiend said:

So is it reasonable to assume that there will likely be some stock of VF-1S, for however briefly, on or just before release day?

The VF-1S is kind of uncharted territory for this particular line, as it is probably the most desirable yet, especially in Japan.  It also releases right before the super/strike parts do, which bumps up the hype for that release (yeah, they can work on all the valks, but we know what they'll look best on).  So we don't really know. 

I think it is reasonable to assume some quantity will exist for sale at/near release day, but that number may be very low, and your odds of securing one then are also probably very low (competition will be high).  But it is worth a shot.  

The mantra of this line is low expectations and be prepared to pay a mark-up.

11 minutes ago, obakesan said:

Awesome photos. Where did you get the hanger Bay background? 

https://fext-hobby.myshopify.com/

Our very own @Saburo helped design it.

7 minutes ago, Digitalfiend said:

So is it reasonable to assume that there will likely be some stock of VF-1S, for however briefly, on or just before release day?  I know the VF-1A is nowhere near as in demand (i.e. I lucked out) but I have to hope that AJ or one of the various exporters would have some VF-1S extras (or resales at markup)...  I figure I'm going to end up paying quite a bit more than I did for the VF-1A, but as long as I can get one (at reasonable mark up prices...none of this $500-600 nonsense), I'll be happy. :)

I guess alternatively I could just get the VF-1J and call it a day...

:pardon:

I don't think anyone knows the answer to that right now.  Maybe?  Maybe not.  Stranger things have happened.  You'll likely be able to get it, but it is supposedly the most popular valk in Japan.  I'll add that with the 1A, it seems I caught a rare opportunity and snagged on AJ under MSRP direct from AJ, but no one else reported it.  So, think of how 1S will do.  (Though AJ never offered the 1S on PO with Global ship.)

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

10 hours ago, spanner said:

Hehe! They will this time I promise! 

Even though I do regret selling off ALL of them, it did enable me to get other things I needed sorting out done. Yes I should have kept a few but that's in the past. And now to the future! DX!

Awesome! B))

I feel you with the selling off vibe, sold a bunch of my stuff and there's a few I'm now wishing I kept. I have Hikaru's 1S on PO too. 

18 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

The VF-1S is kind of uncharted territory for this particular line, as it is probably the most desirable yet, especially in Japan.  It also releases right before the super/strike parts do, which bumps up the hype for that release (yeah, they can work on all the valks, but we know what they'll look best on).  So we don't really know. 

I think it is reasonable to assume some quantity will exist for sale at/near release day, but that number may be very low, and your odds of securing one then are also probably very low (competition will be high).  But it is worth a shot.  

The mantra of this line is low expectations and be prepared to pay a mark-up.

16 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I don't think anyone knows the answer to that right now.  Maybe?  Maybe not.  Stranger things have happened.  You'll likely be able to get it, but it is supposedly the most popular valk in Japan.  I'll add that with the 1A, it seems I caught a rare opportunity and snagged on AJ under MSRP direct from AJ, but no one else reported it.  So, think of how 1S will do.  (Though AJ never offered the 1S on PO with Global ship.)

Thanks.  So out of curiosity how reliable is FromJapan?  I was looking at their site and noticed quite a few sellers, some with 40+ positive ratings are listing pre-orders for sale.  I assume I could get one of those and then have FromJapan deliver it from their warehouse once they receive it.  Is this safe way to go?  I'm still new to this DX line craziness :)  I'm thinking worst case, if I pre-order one that way and then see one on AE, etc I can always snag two.

3 minutes ago, Digitalfiend said:

Thanks.  So out of curiosity how reliable is FromJapan?  I was looking at their site and noticed quite a few sellers, some with 40+ positive ratings are listing pre-orders for sale.  I assume I could get one of those and then have FromJapan deliver it from their warehouse once they receive it.  Is this safe way to go?  I'm still new to this DX line craziness :)  I'm thinking worst case, if I pre-order one that way and then see one on AE, etc I can always snag two.

FJ is reliable but it doesn't mean every seller they have access to is also so checking out feedback is good, they also warm you if a seller has insufficient feedback. Be weary of taxes when buying from stores as it's going to be 10% soon and that's a mark up you don't pay when buying from import shops directly.

44 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

(Though AJ never offered the 1S on PO with Global ship.)

Ah I forgot that detail. A lot of people were counting on it and it never came, hence just throwing in with Nippon-Yasan at mark up as last resort.

I am glad that scalpers seemed to have overestimated with Max. There seems to be enough available for not quite PO price but at least not terrible when shipping is considered. Or maybe we are all just conditioned to accept the <$250 as the new normal haha

42 minutes ago, gerwookie said:

Ah I forgot that detail. A lot of people were counting on it and it never came, hence just throwing in with Nippon-Yasan at mark up as last resort.

I am glad that scalpers seemed to have overestimated with Max. There seems to be enough available for not quite PO price but at least not terrible when shipping is considered. Or maybe we are all just conditioned to accept the <$250 as the new normal haha

I don't want to create unnecessary hope, but VF-31E wasn't offered with global ship at PO and then at release AJ opened it up with Global Ship.  However, it was in much lower demand.

Are other members waiting on there Amazon Japan order to ship? I placed may order Saturday and it hasn't shipped yet. 

I ordered the Bandai YF-19 when it was released from AJ but was never shipped. The order was cancelled and money refunded. Just hope the same does not happen this time. 

Yeah I’m a little worried, as others have said amazon direct has shipped already but these sellers are listed as “prime” haven’t yet...took a chance but the seller said 100% feedback with high numbers. It still says arriving by Sunday, which, wow really That’d be fast for international. 

I gambled for the faster shipping and was previously unable to cancel so let my hlj order go but now I wonder...

This hobby is not for the faint of heart!