Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 hours ago, nathans82 said:

3 weeks until VF-1A!! Can't wait, now I hope Amazon JP doesn't take forever to get it to me.

You're lucky you got it through AJ!  I landed with NY on PO night, so the price is sweet but their trend seems to be more and more delayed in  shipping stuff out lately haha.  On the plus side, I accidentally had VF-1 missiles in my cart when  I landed the PO and didn't have time to remove, so I'll have those being shipped as well. haha.  Works out well because I'll have three sets of missiles to spread between 1J, 1A, and DYRL 1S for now.  I should be able to get mileage out of them with three more Valks in theory if I spread them right.

I remember seeing a Superman statuette painted in this style too....so cool. Do these look good from all angles or are they meant to be viewed only from certain angles?

Chris

10 hours ago, Dobber said:

I remember seeing a Superman statuette painted in this style too....so cool. Do these look good from all angles or are they meant to be viewed only from certain angles?

Chris

From all angles.  There are Gundams that were painted like straight out of the anime and don't even look like 3d kits by a Korean guy for Gundam contests in recent years.  Mafex is cell shading Spiderman like in the comics.  

Bandai could sell these as premium finishes.  

2 hours ago, beatsing said:

Yeah, no kidding! I would fork over a premium for that sort of finish without a second thought.

I really, really like how the LEK stuff looks. I contacted him a few days ago. As a consumer it's a pretty big chunk of change to justify. But, it's actually very reasonable for what he is doing, the time it takes and the mastery involved. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting a DX VF-1S with S&S parts done when they're released.

Edited by sqidd

7 hours ago, beatsing said:

From all angles.  There are Gundams that were painted like straight out of the anime and don't even look like 3d kits by a Korean guy for Gundam contests in recent years.  Mafex is cell shading Spiderman like in the comics.  

When I first saw LEK’s work on MP Transformers a few years ago, I predicted that the future would bring us figures painted that way from the factory. Really glad to see it finally happening. So far, the only good one I’ve seen is the Mafex Spidey. There are some 3P KO Transformers available now too but they look like crap...definitely not LEK quality paint designs. 

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

There are some 3P KO Transformers available now too but they look like crap...definitely not LEK quality paint designs. 

I disagree. This OS Grimlock has one of the best cel shading I've ever seen on a toy. It doesn't even look 3D anymore IMO. And it's not that expensive and is mass-produced.

Image result for os cel shaded grimlock

Edited by ArchieNov

10 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

I disagree. This OS Grimlock has one of the best cel shading I've ever seen on a toy. It doesn't even look 3D anymore IMO. And it's not that expensive and is mass-produced.

Ok, I didn’t see that version before...there are so many. That does look excellent. Gonna have to look into getting one, lol. 

18 hours ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, no kidding! I would fork over a premium for that sort of finish without a second thought.

I really, really like how the LEK stuff looks. I contacted him a few days ago. As a consumer it's a pretty big chunk of change to justify. But, it's actually very reasonable for what he is doing, the time it takes and the mastery involved. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting a DX VF-1S with S&S parts done when they're released.

We'd be interested to see the final product.  

13 hours ago, Slave IV said:

When I first saw LEK’s work on MP Transformers a few years ago, I predicted that the future would bring us figures painted that way from the factory. Really glad to see it finally happening. So far, the only good one I’ve seen is the Mafex Spidey. There are some 3P KO Transformers available now too but they look like crap...definitely not LEK quality paint designs. 

I think it's because they overdo the cel shading, and the shadows on the parts aren't consistent with each other.  I've seen some Gundam Exia etc that the lighting looks like it comes from one source, so the "shiny" parts are all on one side, the shadow parts are on on the other (mostly).  

9 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

This Grimlock is ok though I didn't play the video game so I don't know if it's video game accurate.  The shading seems a little aggressive.  I prefer the lighter touch of the guy who won a contest with his Gundam that really looks like a 2D photo or picture from the cartoon.  The pencil work looks like it came straight out of the comic/anime.  First pic is from hwadam7788, who does commission work.  The lower photos are another artist who won a contest.  

ìê²½ë Republic of Korea THE STORY ë¼ë ì íë¸ ë°©ì¡ìì ì  ìì물과 ì ë¥¼ ì´¬ìíìµëë¤. ë¤ì´ì´í¸ë¥¼ í´ì¼íë¤ë ìì ê° ìê²¼ë´ìã ã  ìëì 주ììëë¤. 본ìì ëì¤ë©´ ë¤ì í¬ì¤í íê² ìµëë¤. https://youtu.be/QFXrqVxxpeU

below is by Mumumuno53

2014112611112537d

201411261044582a7.jpg?w=640&h=480

20141126104115f91.jpg?w=580&h=871

Edited by beatsing
added credit to artist