Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

14 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I'd like to hear how it works out for you as I'm also interested in these. But I don't how many I'd need to chain together to make a large enough floor & background for 1/60 or larger photographing.

Each set comes with 4 background and 4 base plates. If you look at most of @Saburo 's pics, he has at least 24 backplates and maybe double or more floor plates. So you would need at least 6 sets but possibly 12 or more sets to do what he is doing. Plus, he has those sweet translucent parts that go between the background plates and the other ones for ceiling that all work for lighting. So, you basically have to spend a 1/60 or 1/48 x2 Valks worth to get something not as good as what @Saburo has. Based on this, I basically gave up on buying any more of the sets for now, lol!

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Each set comes with 4 background and 4 base plates. If you look at most of @Saburo 's pics, he has at least 24 backplates and maybe double or more floor plates. So you would need at least 6 sets but possibly 12 or more sets to do what he is doing. Plus, he has those sweet translucent parts that go between the background plates and the other ones for ceiling that all work for lighting. So, you basically have to spend a 1/60 or 1/48 x2 Valks worth to get something not as good as what @Saburo has. Based on this, I basically gave up on buying any more of the sets for now, lol!

Oh, I'm not looking to build a full hangar set like what Saburo has. I just need enough parts for a floor and background for the occasional photo. So I can photograph something like this with a hangar-type background:

301443906_DXVF-1J39.jpg.ca6c78992b6f4e5cb635e7325a5a39c9.jpg

If I wanted a full hangar set, I'd probably follow @tekering's example and just get a Macross factory set and a bunch of Wave hangar parts, which are much cheaper. But then where would I put such a thing? lol

15 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Oh, I'm not looking to build a full hangar set like what Saburo has. I just need enough parts for a floor and background for the occasional photo. So I can photograph something like this with a hangar-type background:

301443906_DXVF-1J39.jpg.ca6c78992b6f4e5cb635e7325a5a39c9.jpg

If I wanted a full hangar set, I'd probably follow @tekering's example and just get a Macross factory set and a bunch of Wave hangar parts, which are much cheaper. But then where would I put such a thing? lol

You could probably get by on two sets in that case. 

20 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

that clearly is photoshopped.

Bandai never made white landing gears and the weathering looks too good.  has to be fake or someone is really amazing. 

@Lolicon is really amazing.

7 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Whelp...I ordered two of Sci-Fi 02. Hoping it fits my DX well cuz I really didn’t pay attention to the dimensions. Otherwise, HMR will do.

There's the Fext Hobby Diorama unboxing video that I recently posted in the Fext Hobby line up page.

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

that clearly is photoshopped.

Bandai never made white landing gears and the weathering looks too good.  has to be fake or someone is really amazing. 

Hahaha! :lol:

Lolicon is awesome. :good: 

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'd probably follow @tekering's example and just get a Macross factory set and a bunch of Wave hangar parts, which are much cheaper. But then where would I put such a thing?

It does take up a great deal of shelf space in my workroom...  :unsure:

occupying.thumb.jpg.2907f14aba34f0fca4c3993e1b7dec8e.jpg

On 7/5/2019 at 1:54 PM, no3Ljm said:

^ Next page. First post. @Saburo, our very own Super Dimensional Enabler. :good:

:lol:

:lol: Thanks @no3Ljm!  Did I get you to buy something recently?  LOL

On 7/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, Kanedas Bike said:

@Saburo's pictures always look better than the real thing! 

-b.

Thank you @Kanedas Bike!

21 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'd like to hear how it works out for you as I'm also interested in these. But I don't how many I'd need to chain together to make a large enough floor & background for 1/60 or larger photographing.

21 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Thank you for help with the info above. :good:

21 hours ago, Lolicon said:

2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Awesome info on everything. Thanks @Slave IV and @borgified for the info.

@Lolicon, I’m in the same boat as you. I’ll let you know how it goes, but based on Slave, I’m hoping 2 sets work too. (Cuz damn they cost..haha)

@Lolicon, @DYRL VF-1S

Here is some info that might help you figure out the sizing you will need.

Dimesions

Base 90mm (h) x 90mm (w)

Wall plate: 170mm (h) x 90mm (w)

Wall connector: 13mm (h) x 90mm (w)

Fext has been working on getting Sci-Fi 03 display (make note of the number ;) there is a connection. :D) ready for PO.

Spoiler

Here is a video coverage starts at 2:00 point

Edited by Saburo

Interesting note from Earthquake-ville.  The DX is one fairly hefty and sturdy valk.

I had one of my Hikaru 1Js perched in gerwalk mode on a top shelf earlier this week.  Came home to find he'd taken a 5-foot swan dive during the shaking... but none the worse for wear.  Gunpod hand had popped free, and one wingflap was popped out of a socket, but valk still looks in really good shape.

Had an HMR VF-4 and VF-1D take a fall off my computer desk as well, but those survived in similar condition, with parts popping off, rather than breaking.  All in all, I'm more relieved than I can really explain in words that I found my place in as good a shape as it is.  I'm reconsidering my display options for the future though. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Interesting note from Earthquake-ville.  The DX is one fairly hefty and sturdy valk.

I had one of my Hikaru 1Js perched in gerwalk mode on a top shelf earlier this week.  Came home to find he'd taken a 5-foot swan dive during the shaking... but none the worse for wear.  Gunpod hand had popped free, and one wingflap was popped out of a socket, but valk still looks in really good shape.

Had an HMR VF-4 and VF-1D take a fall off my computer desk as well, but those survived in similar condition, with parts popping off, rather than breaking.  All in all, I'm more relieved than I can really explain in words that I found my place in as good a shape as it is.  I'm reconsidering my display options for the future though. :lol: 

Nice to hear they all survived. I've had a bunch of my stuff fall from 5-7 feet onto hard floos with no damage as well. SHMA Gidorah, DX VF-31, a bunch of HMR, Yamato 1/48. So far out of those, the only damage was a head laser on the Yamato 1/48. Not too bad for a bunch of toys most people consider delicate.

Edited by Slave IV

9 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice to hear they all survived. I've had a bunch of my stuff fall from 5-7 feet onto hard floos with no damage as well. SHMA Gidorah, DX VF-31, a bunch of HMR, Yamato 1/48. So far out of those, the only damage was a head laser on the Yamato 1/48. Not too bad for a bunch of toys most people consider delicate.

I am glad to hear you are alright guys. I am also glad your collection didn't suffer much. over a decade ago my favorite panel lined CF 1/48 broke its laser from a similar fall. I had it on a small book shelf on my desk, and my jacket caught the gunpod, as i tuned around. In my mind, it lost its head laser in some close call dogfight. :pardon:

5 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

I am glad to hear you are alright guys. I am also glad your collection didn't suffer much. over a decade ago my favorite panel lined CF 1/48 broke its laser from a similar fall. I had it on a small book shelf on my desk, and my jacket caught the gunpod, as i tuned around. In my mind, it lost its head laser in some close call dogfight. :pardon:

It seems like Bandai may have learned from this and now make a lot of head lasers removable and even sometimes include extras.  

10 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I don't know, the Packs have too many markings, and the fonts are huge.

Nothing new there.  Bandai's been overdoing the tampo since the DX YF-19.  <_<

I just file this under the "Bandai still doesn't understand aircraft" heading.  Lettering is always too thick, too dark, too bold, too whatever else.  They've never given two shakes that you can just do a google image search for "aircraft" and find millions of references that contradict what they consider "correct." 

They're Bandai, after all.  They know they know better, despite all outside evidence to the contrary. :p 

• 10% want accuracy to real-world aircraft
  • 10% want accuracy to the anime
  • 10% want accuracy to the artbooks
  • 70% don’t really care which it is, or if it’s a mix.

[edit] And Bandai does none of the above.

Edited by Sanity is Optional