Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

So, got some good news for y'all.

Looks like the Yahoo Japan auctions for the Max 1A have come down to around ¥22,000. Which looks to me like a lot of the scalpers are down to pretty much zero profit margin.

Which, to me, implies a good chance there will be a bunch available at release as the scalpers jettison their pre-orders.

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Looks like the Yahoo Japan auctions for the Max 1A have come down to around ¥22,000. Which looks to me like a lot of the scalpers are down to pretty much zero profit margin.

Which, to me, implies a good chance there will be a bunch available at release as the scalpers jettison their pre-orders.

That's great news!

Actually have a spare 1A (possibly two) that I hope to trade if I prove unable to get any future releases in this line. I say "possibly two" as I have no idea if that Japan Exclusive shop is reliable or not (testing the waters). If I end up with two spares I'll sell one to a board member who needs it.

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

If you change your address with USPS, they can also forward your mail and packages...

In this case, I will only be away for two weeks.

I have forwarded mail a few times when I moved and that was super easy, very nice service from USPS.

Maybe they also have an "on holiday" service, where they will hold your mail/packages for your local PO for a few days. That will be great. Will google.

2 minutes ago, kkx said:

In this case, I will only be away for two weeks.

I have forwarded mail a few times when I moved and that was super easy, very nice service from USPS.

Maybe they also have an "on holiday" service, where they will hold your mail/packages for your local PO for a few days. That will be great. Will google.

They do. I use the service everytime I go out for vacation or work trips. You can have them deliver on the day you return or hold for you to pick up.

54 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Thanks for the link. This is interesting.

There are 5 Max's sold at 22K by this " sound0626" user just on the first page. Wow.

One of the sellers sold his PO right for 2,500 yen and the total cost for this Max from him is (from his calculation):

2,500 + 18,450 + 500 (domestic postage) + 200 (payment fee) = 21,650

Margin is down to just about 2,500 yen now.

36 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm hoping to get a 2nd myself, just as an in-case if the first one is damaged/defective. Of course, would sell it to a forum member at cost if they're both good.

I am in the bay area too. If you have a spare Max, will be nice to do a local trade.

3 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

They do. I use the service everytime I go out for vacation or work trips. You can have them deliver on the day you return or hold for you to pick up.

I am impressed. Nice service indeed. Thanks for letting me know.

2 hours ago, kkx said:

There are 5 Max's sold at 22K by this " sound0626" user just on the first page. Wow.

One of the sellers sold his PO right for 2,500 yen and the total cost for this Max from him is (from his calculation):

I am in the bay area too. If you have a spare Max, will be nice to do a local trade.

We should let these scalpers get burned, even if the margin is 2500 yen, its 2500 yen a collector should not have to pay if the scalper let a collector order it in the 1st place. By even buying it off a scalper even for a small profit, we are condoning their behaviour, the only way to stop scalpers is not buy from them and let them be burned by the experience. Else they will keep making PO nights a nightmare.

But alas that won’t happen, too many kia su (afraid to lose out) collectors will still pay the ‘not so high’ price hike to get the item they want.

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I didn't think Max 1a was that popular, so surprised at the preorder madness.  The scalpers probably jumped on the Max because of the Hikky reviews and the bidding of the 1j.  The 1j was the TV main mecha so Bandai probably underproduced.  Scalpers aren't collectors because they would "know" who is popular.  

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That's great news!

Actually have a spare 1A (possibly two) that I hope to trade if I prove unable to get any future releases in this line. I say "possibly two" as I have no idea if that Japan Exclusive shop is reliable or not (testing the waters). If I end up with two spares I'll sell one to a board member who needs it.

You guys are so cool.

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm hoping to get a 2nd myself, just as an in-case if the first one is damaged/defective. Of course, would sell it to a forum member at cost if they're both good.

Again, you guys are so cool.   Authentic collectors.

12 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Well at least the NY discussion was relative to a community member getting his 1S.

I wasn’t understanding the Gundam Style talk especially after politely pointing out the thread. Haha

I think peeps were comparing the pricing (over 100k Y) to the expensive DX scalping prices and preorder madness (one member mentioned it sold out in seconds).  It's shocking that a product that costs over 5 times the DX line would sell out in seconds, when we are upset that bots are hogging all our DX orders.  Members were also fantasizing if Bandai did a similar line for Macross DX.   There was a mock up of a large valk some years ago that was vaporware.

5 hours ago, kkx said:

He's selling now, because if he's up for the cost by September, he'll have to spend his own money.  Selling it at 2500 profit is pure profit since the product isn't even out yet.  

2 hours ago, Guyffon said:

We should let these scalpers get burned, even if the margin is 2500 yen, its 2500 yen a collector should not have to pay if the scalper let a collector order it in the 1st place. By even buying it off a scalper even for a small profit, we are condoning their behaviour, the only way to stop scalpers is not buy from them and let them be burned by the experience. Else they will keep making PO nights a nightmare.

But alas that won’t happen, too many kia su (afraid to lose out) collectors will still pay the ‘not so high’ price hike to get the item they want.

This.  The scalper makes his money by denying the collector and artificially increasing/manipulating demand.  If Bandai flooded the market with huge stock, Bandai might take a loss in the short run, but would screw the scalpers in the long run. 

I only buy at MSRP as the scalpers else would keep wrecking our PO.  PO nights used to be fun and exciting, now it is a shark fest.  PO = preorder night, or p!$$ off night?

Many collectors would rather pay the iron price than deal with PO madness.  But I agree with you, I wouldn't pay because I don't feed the scalpers.

9 hours ago, Saburo said:

48058856962_712da0525c_h.jpg

Nice picture! I haven’t tried on my set yet, but is there room for the Micro missile pod and then the duel reaction missiles. Doesn’t look like there is a lot of room there, but admittedly I can’t tell the sweep angle in the pic.

Chris

13 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

Awesome pic, nice missle combo too!

Thank you @canklebreaker

12 hours ago, tjdetweiler said:

Sooo clean bro! great shot!

Thank you @tjdetweiler

4 hours ago, beatsing said:

@saburo Nice pic.  I feel the need, the need for speed!

Thank you @beatsing

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

Nice picture! I haven’t tried on my set yet, but is there room for the Micro missile pod and then the duel reaction missiles. Doesn’t look like there is a lot of room there, but admittedly I can’t tell the sweep angle in the pic.

Chris

@Dobber here is a quick pic,  with the wings at the full forward swept position there is  some room between the missile box and dual reaction missiles.

VF-1J.thumb.jpg.cc1f571b1802bb51d52f2d4fe03939bf.jpg

Regarding the 1J, this may seem like a no brainer but check the sales thread here first since I've seen a few listings that are cheaper than the $35k yen prices that pop up on Mandarake after shipping. Didn't see many when I picked mine up from Mandarake for $370 shipped.

Edited by canklebreaker

At this point, if you're still in the market for a Max 1A (like me), I'd recommend waiting until release day.  It could be that there are several available at all the main online retailers at or slightly above MSRP.  Then you won't even have to deal with scalpers.  That's my plan, at least.

The good news long-term for this line is that it might not be as profitable as the scalpers thought (they could even be eating each others' margins), and they might move on to something more profitable.  We can always hope.

18 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

At this point, if you're still in the market for a Max 1A (like me), I'd recommend waiting until release day.  It could be that there are several available at all the main online retailers at or slightly above MSRP.  Then you won't even have to deal with scalpers.  That's my plan, at least.

The good news long-term for this line is that it might not be as profitable as the scalpers thought (they could even be eating each others' margins), and they might move on to something more profitable.  We can always hope.

From your lips to the Toy Gods ears. Amen.

Weird question but do you guys always insert a pilot into your figures that have/require one, not just for these figures but any toy? For instance, I have some construction lego vehicles at my desk at work and I don't put in a minifig nor plan to put in a pilot for the VFs. For me personally, I just like the machine/mechanical side of things if that makes any sense and I've seen a lot of talk about pilot size, etc.

Edited by canklebreaker

5 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

Weird question but do you guys always insert a pilot into your figures that have/require one, not just for these figures but any toy? For instance, I have some construction lego vehicles at my desk at work and I don't put in a minifig nor plan to put in a pilot for the VFs. For me personally, I just like the machine/mechanical side of things if that makes any sense and I've seen a lot of talk about pilot size, etc.

All depends on how I'm displaying.  Keeping it story-accurate, I place the pilot in for Fighter mode and Gerwalk.

7 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

I don’t give a crap about the pilot size but I do always put them in. That way, when I transform to gerwalk or fighter, they don’t look like they are ghost flying. Easier to take them out if I want than to dig through a box to find them. 

Edited by Slave IV

Thanks for the pictures! :)

@Mommar, I gotta agree. With all the crap people gotta put up with to get these darn things Bandai just rubs salt in the wounds and makes these separate. Customer gauging at it’s best.

Chris

3 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I don’t give a crap about the pilot size but I do always put them in. That way, when I transform to gerwalk or fighter, they don’t look like they are ghost flying. Easier to take them out if I want than to dig through a box to find them. 

To be fair they could be sitting empty in a hangar.

30 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

I always put the pilots in my Macross or Transformers. It always completes it for me.

20 minutes ago, Mommar said:

To be fair they could be sitting empty in a hangar.

True, which is why I say it’s easier to take the pilot out if I want than dig through boxes to find them. Plus, I like to display my action figures in dynamic action poses rather than static ones. 

46 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

This is where I'm at as well. I prefer to have as many of it's accessories with the toy/figure as possible, so I can skip having to dig out the box.

hey guys, with me being insane, I just PO that metal structure - I'm passing on my VF-1A Max PO will change the shipping if anyone is keen - selling how much I got it $220 USD (340 NZD) shipped to you. PM me if you are keen (accept paypal)

hey guys, with me being insane, I just PO that metal structure - I'm passing on my VF-1A Max PO will change the shipping address - selling how much I got it $220 USD (340 NZD) shipped to you. PM me if you are keen (accept paypal)