Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

22 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I'm hoping we can see higher priority of Macross for Bandai once they are able to include the international market once HG no longer hold the Macross license.

Not to put a damper on the end of HG, but I really wouldn't get your hopes up at that affecting any significant change in the marketing or availability of Macross goods.

Just because Bandai can sell something in the US, does not mean it will.  As I'm sure anyone with experience acquiring the assorted Metal Build Gundam releases could tell you, just because you're not fighting a licensing blockade doesn't mean things will be easy to acquire.

Edited by Chronocidal

For the record, the VF-1S had the most stock out of every item that went up last night at amiami (you can see their current stock through amiami’s api call). Some numbers I recorded last night.

VF-1S : 859 (+130 that came later)

Dairugger XV : 401

SHF Shinkocchou Seihou Kamen Rider Kuuga Decade ver : 483

Robot Spirits Gelgoog J ANIME : 614

Edited by loliphenex

We should complain to shoji and Bandai.

I understand that producing more high valks takes up factory but it’s like the iPhone.  It wasn’t Apple’s bread and butter.  But it sold.  Even though it was so expensive compared to the competition.  So Apple now gets 60% of its revenue from iPhone sales(I saw that on the news, don’t quote me).  

How many full shelves  of Hg and Mg and rg and pg gundams have you seen at plenty of stores?  Is that stuff flying off the shelves?  And when they have a popular model kit or toy figure they reissue those quite often.  Even less popular robots get rereleased.

it doesn’t make sense 

How did you manage to see the api call??

4 minutes ago, loliphenex said:

For the record, the VF-1S had the most stock out of every item that went up last night at amiami (you can see their current stock through amiami’s api call). Some numbers I recorded last night.

VF-1S : 859 (+130 that came later)

Dairugger XV : 401

SHF Shinkocchou Seihou Kamen Rider Kuuga Decade ver : 483

Robot Spirits Gelgoog J ANIME : 614

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

It's all a mystery, as far as I can tell.  For us, we preorder to know that we have one, but why Bandai takes pre-orders to begin with, for non-TWE stuff, is one of many mysteries of Bandai's business practices.

What I also don't understand is what dictates how many units each retailer gets.  It can't be simply they order as many as they want, because they could all definitely order and sell more.  It has to be some sort of ranking/priority system.  Adding to the confusion is why NY seems to be the only place willing/able to source additional stock (from other retailers maybe?) at lower cost.  CDJapan does proxy services, but those prices are usually ridiculously high.

Unfortunately, I don't know that we'll ever get full answers to these questions.

For standard releases you are not preordering from Bandai , you are preordering from the store that have already preordered their stick from Bandai .  

Iirc , how many of a certain hot item a store can preorder from Bandai will depends on how many other items they normal order or will order from Bandai.  Let’s say this store want 50 dx chogokin, well Bandai will tell them base on other items you order from us , the max you can get is 20 dx chogokin,  but if you preorder say 50 more sh Figuarts or say 100 more Gundam kits then we can up your number to 30 , maybe haha .    Well something like that .  It’s so they can push sales on other less demanding items from their other lines .

N-Y is a proxy store , they are use to the market price of toys going up and down, they also should already have a network of procuring preorders from local stores and sites (twe and event exclusive) or getting items that became high in demand later on .  So for them it’s just normal busy .

cdjapan on the order hand is more of a regular store , notice the price of items and hot items does not increase in price even if the demand is off the charts .  Their proxy service is like a side job , it’s just something they might as well do for some extra income.  So they might not look as hard or keep in touch with the secondary market .  Many of their proxy prices are just from other sites .

factory production speed and time slot allocation for Bandai’s other products  is also reasons why Bandai can’t just increase numbers for Macross items .  

21 minutes ago, beatsing said:

We should complain to shoji and Bandai.

I understand that producing more high valks takes up factory but it’s like the iPhone.  It wasn’t Apple’s bread and butter.  But it sold.  Even though it was so expensive compared to the competition.  So Apple now gets 60% of its revenue from iPhone sales(I saw that on the news, don’t quote me).  

How many full shelves  of Hg and Mg and rg and pg gundams have you seen at plenty of stores?  Is that stuff flying off the shelves?  And when they have a popular model kit or toy figure they reissue those quite often.  Even less popular robots get rereleased.

it doesn’t make sense 

There is a huge difference in manufacturing plastic model kits, which Bandai does themselves in Japan and the toys division that does the majority of the manufacturing in China.  Given the standards they hold the product to, there is probably a lot of rejected stock.  The profit margins on the toy division is probably a fraction of the profit on the model kits.

This is how the preorder madness went down for me:

HS came up first. Added to cart with no major slowdowns but was already sold out after getting past the login screen. Apparently I was not riding the wind. 

Amiami next. Kept getting that maximum connections error when trying to add to cart. Tried numerous times and failed. 

Jumped to another tab when CDJ went up. Entire site ground to a halt at the login page. By the time things started moving again, it was sold out. This will be a recurring theme. 

AE came up next. From the start I kept getting some coded error message and had to reload each page many times before it loaded properly. By the time I was ready to check out, they were all gone. 

HLJ next. Like everyone else it took forever to add to cart and check out. Went to order stop status before things started moving again. 

I did have NY's stupid ticket system going in another tab this whole time. Started at 1100 something, then managed to get into the 600s before it jumped back to 1100s. That stupid ticket kept going up and down for over an hour and a half and of course they were long sold out before I could get in. 

After that I jumped back to the Amiami tab and the orange preorder button of hope was still there, so I clicked it, waited a couple of minutes, and miraculously it added to cart! Each screen took about 3 or 4 minutes to move to the next one, but I stuck it out and managed to make it all the way to the end and get an order! Yay! 

F U Bandai for creating this situation, and F the retailers for having such spectacularly crappy websites. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Mingus said:

There is a huge difference in manufacturing plastic model kits, which Bandai does themselves in Japan and the toys division that does the majority of the manufacturing in China.  Given the standards they hold the product to, there is probably a lot of rejected stock.  The profit margins on the toy division is probably a fraction of the profit on the model kits.

probably.  but the shelve warmers are not moving; they take up space and rent.  Why crank out stuff that shelf warms when you have another product line that clears so fast it doesn't touch the shelf?  And since Bandai already knows about the Eva crap event, it's not a stone's throw to figure their other fans are pissed too.  

Does anyone know how the fans for Eva got Bandai to do another run?

I'm actually somewhat hopeful there will be stocks available at release, looking at the HUGE numbers of scalpers on YJA, they're going to be undercutting eachother down to razor-thin margins, and I imagine all of them will just drop their pre-orders if they can't sell at a sufficient markup.

Edit: You can see the auction sold prices here: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?p=dx+vf-1s&va=dx+vf-1s&b=1&n=20

Mostly looks like around ¥27,000, and it'll keep dropping towards release in all likelihood.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

I'm not a huge fan of Max Tv, and I don't know if there are a lot of fans that go for it, but I think that the scalpers did.  

I think the fans here on this board are die hards and probably (individually) collect more valks than individual Japanese collectors, mostly due to space and tiny apartments in Japan.  So probably not as many fans in Japan would buy it as they would buy Hikky's 1s.  Then Max could theoretically flood in Japan.  

But past history shows that all valks of any Dx always sells out, and is marked up crazy prices on ebay etc.  I don't think that increasing the price or pay up front would stop scalpers.  Scalpers aren't much at risk since history is that this stuff sells like hotcakes.  And the scalpers pay at release and put them on auction.  Increasing the price might cut into the scalper's profits, but they'd still do it, since someone who can afford a luxury item at 27000Y can probably afford 39000Y.  Ahem 31a Ahem.  

Increasing the price just makes it unaffordable for peeps like me.  18000Y isn't cheap.  You can buy a phone for that cash.  

Taking preorders like other companies that make supply according to the demand really limits the scalping since preorders are open for months, and everyone in this hobby can get one for the same price without preorder madness or crazy lineups like the Eva.  

Or Bandai can just reissue like other brands do.  That combats scalping and ko's because those guys can't make money off Bandai and shoji's work.

1 hour ago, beatsing said:

probably.  but the shelve warmers are not moving; they take up space and rent.  Why crank out stuff that shelf warms when you have another product line that clears so fast it doesn't touch the shelf?  And since Bandai already knows about the Eva crap event, it's not a stone's throw to figure their other fans are pissed too.  

Does anyone know how the fans for Eva got Bandai to do another run?

Pictures surrounded the web with people buying multiple units when actual release date for it - I saw a picture with multiple units in a single van. I do believe the mecha designer saw this and was quite upset and he brought it up to Bandai as he felt sorry for the fans who actually and genuinely want one. (kindly correct me if I'm wrong with this only saw it on a FB mecha group)

The reissue PO didn't last long as well.

Edited by tjdetweiler

Agreed. 

But many of the fans can afford the markup and don't want to deal with the headache of preorder madness.  or of the "hunting" afterwards.  That's what the scalpers feed on.  

I'm not saying that collectibles can't appreciate in price; Yammies did over time.  But they weren't hard to get when they sold.  Peeps joining the collecting in later years would have a hard time finding them, and that's what collectibles are.  

39000Y in less than 2 minutes from preorders open?  That's scalping gone mad.  

5 minutes ago, tjdetweiler said:

Pictures surrounded the web with people buying multiple units when actual release date for it - I saw a picture with multiple units in a single van. I do believe the mecha designer saw this and was quite upset and he brought it up to Bandai as he felt sorry for the fans who actually and genuinely want one. (kindly correct me if I'm wrong with this only saw it on a FB mecha group)

The reissue PO didn't last long as well.

This problem has gone on for many years.  We should screen shot and post to Shoji's page or feed.  Or just get someone to translate our forum for Shoji to read what preorder madness is, and what big fans we are.

Edited by beatsing

Ok kids, here is an update from AJ regarding 1S hitting the States:

As for the product "DX超合金 超時空要塞マクロス 劇場版VF-1S バルキリー(一条輝機)",to concern the import restrictions and warranty issues, we're not shipping internationally for the item that is not globally accepted.

There ya have it. **Shrugs**

Further more:

Amazon.co.jp is currently reevaluating the international shipping of its items, and if it is determined that an item does not meet export standards, we cannot ship it overseas

1 hour ago, Ridden001 said:

Quick question:

does the battroid/flight adaptor by yetistand work for the DX VF-1?

The Delta SV-262 adapter works. It's the one that is contoured to accommodate the little flaps that the DX stand adapters have. There is some discussion on this in the Yeti Stand thread.

now I'm conflicted.  I really like the Strike parts and DYRL.  But I don't have the valk.  If I order the parts, what am I going to do with them?  Or should I hold off until I get a valk?

What are the odds of me scoring a valk at MSRP?  I refuse to feed the scalpers. 

2 minutes ago, jenius said:

So the HG vs BW situation strikes again.

I've actually received that explanation for non-Macross items before (e.g., Action Toys's Tetsujin 28 and Mafex Venom, before they changed their minds on Mafex Venom). 

If it's the licensing issue, I wonder why we were able to order the VF-1J and VF-1A and YF-19DX in this past year alone. You'd figure that licensing disputes would have occurred before now. 

I just chalk it up to the standard we're-not-quite-sure-why explanation given to you by an overworked/underpaid Amazon employee.

Take this with a grain of salt...I recently sold an item via eBay and the seller picked up. Turns out the buyer works for bluefin and we chatted. They are currently and actively trying to purchase the license to sell Macross here. Also another grain of salt info, A US reissue of the MB Eva-01 is happening 

3 minutes ago, gingaio said:

I've actually received that explanation for non-Macross items before (e.g., Action Toys's Tetsujin 28 and Mafex Venom, before they changed their minds on Mafex Venom). 

If it's the licensing issue, I wonder why we were able to order the VF-1J and VF-1A and YF-19DX in this past year alone. You'd figure that licensing disputes would have occurred before now. 

I just chalk it up to the standard we're-not-quite-sure-why explanation given to you by an overworked/underpaid Amazon employee.

Quite possible, and not trying to cause alarm, but just passing on info. As I’ve said before...knowledge is power.

2 minutes ago, beatsing said:

now I'm conflicted.  I really like the Strike parts and DYRL.  But I don't have the valk.  If I order the parts, what am I going to do with them?  Or should I hold off until I get a valk?

What are the odds of me scoring a valk at MSRP?  I refuse to feed the scalpers. 

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but if I were in your position, I'd just find the most reasonably inflated price--barring NY, which I hate--and just be done with it. Assuming I wanted it that badly. 

I'm already prepared to pay mark-ups for the remaining few valks I want, in case things go south. 

Scalpers/profiteers are just part of the landscape now, along with retailers who are more than happy to gouge us just as badly. To me, if I can't get it at retail, I'm not gonna waste more time out of my life debating whether or not to get something I really want. That extra $50-100 or whatever it is is trivial compared to my time and sleep. 

IMO. 

I think we should put the brakes on the Amazon panic for now (as regards our preorders getting cancelled). Again, it's a stock explanation that's been given before for other toys and other toy lines. 

Edited by gingaio

3 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Oh crap I hope they don’t kill my Max 1A preorder...

For some reason, that made me think of this:

All jokes aside, scalpers are a symptom of the problem, not the cause.  I know they make easy villians to hate, but it is the gap between supply and demand, and what the market is willing to pay for this, that is the problem (i.e. Bandai).  

Bandai has a system in place, right now (TWE system) that with some tweaking, could greatly reduce if not remove this problem entirely, with probably a small mark-up for the consumer.  But they refuse to do it, except in limited cases.  If you want to be angry at someone/something, be angry at Bandai.

And of course, Harmony Gold.

11 minutes ago, gingaio said:

I think we should put the brakes on the Amazon panic for now (as regards our preorders getting cancelled). Again, it's a stock explanation that's been given before for other toys and other toy lines. 

Yup.

It's a generic Amz-JP reply when they can't explain why certain items (macross, non-macross, gundam, etc) they sell somehow suddenly cannot be shipped to the US.

1 minute ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I suspect they're taking a bath on returned product shipping from the US, seeing as they ship DHL and reimburse.

How many peeps are returning these toys?  I think most would keep it even with a minor defect.

4 minutes ago, gingaio said:

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but if I were in your position, I'd just find the most reasonably inflated price--barring NY, which I hate--and just be done with it. Assuming I wanted it that badly. 

I'm already prepared to pay mark-ups for the remaining few valks I want, in case things go south. 

Scalpers/profiteers are just part of the landscape now, along with retailers who are more than happy to gouge us just as badly. To me, if I can't get it at retail, I'm not gonna waste more time out of my life debating whether or not to get something I really want. That extra $50-100 or whatever it is is trivial compared to my time and sleep. 

IMO. 

Thanks.  That extra $50-100 is probably trivial.  It's probably not worth our time and sleep.  

It can add up though.  That's another HMR.  Or the Strike pack itself.  

Ahem you guys' wives must be cool about scalping.