Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

4 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

That's what I'm dealing with, too. My stress level isn't high overall (it's more of a relative thing), and my marriage is great, but she knows me extremely well after all of these years and can tell when I'm not happy about something. She's noticed that I'm less and less excited about each release because it's gone from click-and-buy (good old Yamato days circa 2005) to thrill-of-the-hunt (last few years) to how-the-f-did-all-sites-sell-out-in-two-seconds. So, she's starting to ask why, especially given the prices, I'm continuing to do this to myself when I could be spending time on other parts of this hobby or on other hobbies altogether. I do feel very fortunate to have a wife that understands and supports my Macross Beast (that made me laugh, @apptt4).

@seti88: Yes, I do need to practice my Macross poker face.

Exactly.  When did a relaxing hobby become a stressful beast?  The stress of the hunt gets a lot of peeps giving into the scalpers.  Either way you're screwed.  The "hunt for the Decepticons" line was fun to hunt/shop for because certain bots were a challenge to find, but not near impossible.  There are a few on this board that scored, but many more of us have been empty handed after 2 seconds of cartjacking.  Then there's the inevitable staying up even later than that, masochistically going through all the sites, refresh, refresh, refresh.  Jet lag the next day. Checking this site over the next few days only to find another valk opened up and then instantly gone 2 minutes before logging on.  Really looks like DX Frontier, and the reason why I rage quit this hobby until HMR brought me back.  The Yamato days were a more civilized time of leisure shopping.  The day after Max, was Sentinel's Blowsperior, and it was leisure shopping.  It's just the DX line that is messed up.

4 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I find PO madness to be a lot of fun. I enjoy trying to find toy listings on various sites, see which ones are available and which ones are sold out, and updating my list.

Maybe it is because I have only been collecting Macross toys for about 1 year, but PO madness is quite exciting to me.

Admittedly, PO madness can be a bit stressful. But, in the end, I think of Macross toy collecting as a hobby, a luxury, Missing out on an initial pre-order, but still being able to buy it at a bit of a markup, can be a bit disappointing, but as my fiance would say, that's a first-world problem.

So, while I want to get a 1/60 VF-11C, yet don't want to spend $500 for it, I am not going to let my annoyance at that price inflation on eBay ruin my day.   Owning the toy might cheer me up a bit, but my lacking the toy will not sour my outlook.

What DID annoy me was getting stopped by campus police this morning. So, this weekend is CPW (Campus Preview Weekend), where high school seniors accepted to MIT get to visit campus for the weekend, visit lectures and sleep at the dorms, to help them decide whether to enroll here or at some other university. So anyways, I went to lab this morning (and am still here) to work on my missile swarm path finding simulation code.  A campus police officer thought I was one of those kids visiting campus trespassing in a restricted access lab. *sigh*    Couldn't the officer at least thought I was an adult in a restricted area?  *argh*

My fiance is going to LOVE hearing about this. *sigh*

I think it's fun if you get a valk.  Not if you don't.  Consecutively coming up empty handed on all the valks can't be called "collecting" but rather "missing".  First time, it's not a big deal.  Second time, no big deal.  3, 4, 5 that's a distribution problem.  

If there were a poll about the satisfaction about the distribution of these products, I think many would rate the distribution poorly.   

Browsing sites can be fun, and I appreciate your contribution to our community.

It's absolutely a first world problem, and puts it accurately in that perspective.  But it's also a problem that others already have a working solution for.  

Yes, these are luxuries, and hobbies.  We all have our opinions on whether the price is worth it or not.

It's the garbage execution of distribution that frustrates the consumer.    It's the complete opposite of retail therapy - instead of relaxing us, the purchasing process is enraging.  Real downer when that carrot is dangled in front of our faces and then yanked away.

Interesting anecdote.  Do you get carded a lot at bars?

6 hours ago, beatsing said:

Interesting anecdote.  Do you get carded a lot at bars?

I rarely go to bars. Last time I went to a bar was... undergrad senior year, I think?  

But to answer your question, yes I do get carded almost always at restaurants, whenever I order strawberry daiquiris or some alcoholic beverage that resembles a milkshake.

13 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

My fiance says, and I quote, "The first 3 Star Wars movies sucked!"

Now he is complaining about pod racing and metal chlorine.

I think @Phangry was referring to the “original three” (which was released first but starts with Ep. 4). I think most of us would agree that Ep 1-3 suck. And though not Macross related, I would watch it in the “Machete” order if you watch the Ep 1-6 @Shizuka the Cat

"No one hates a franchise as much as its fans."

Can't wait to see the backlash in store for episode IX. :p

Back on topic, I just dismantled my third VF-1J to detail her up. I went from "I don't know if I want any more 1/48s" to "I'll just get one" to "Gotta get them up to par with my Yamatos" and "I ordered three Max 1As." :blink:

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

"No one hates a franchise as much as its fans."

Can't wait to see the backlash in store for episode IX. :p

Back on topic, I just dismantled my third VF-1J to detail her up. I went from "I don't know if I want any more 1/48s" to "I'll just get one" to "Gotta get them up to par with my Yamatos" and "I ordered three Max 1As." :blink:

valks are like Doritos, you can't just stop at one.

If they're available, I'd probably buy 1j, 1s, and 1a in low vis.  

Is being a while I wanted to post in how exactly how I got my DX Chogoking MAX in AmiAmi but don't want to upset someone,  but here it goes,   I was with my GF  driving her to her home and it was already 12 am PST and I was like in my head "Oh well definitely lost this one" and didn't ask her if she can give me some minutes to check this PO because I really think she doesn't like my hobby :D not sure thou,  so I leave her in her house it was like 12:10 am PST , so hell with it I give it a try in the middle of the street in my car parking and connect with my 3g mobile internet access(yes I know :( ) , already had the page preloaded for AmiAmi Max in my cellphone, refresh and saw the PO orange button appeared and I was like OMG!!! gogogogo. and pressed the button got and error , refreshed again and it was on my cart, I login (took some minutes)  and 15 min later I was able to complete the order!! I was like can't believe I did it !!! . It definitely  was a good night, great time with my GF and got the PO MAX from AmiAmi  :D   

36 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

Is being a while I wanted to post in how exactly how I got my DX Chogoking MAX in AmiAmi but don't want to upset someone,  but here it goes,   I was with my GF  driving her to her home and it was already 12 am PST and I was like in my head "Oh well definitely lost this one" and didn't ask her if she can give me some minutes to check this PO because I really think she doesn't like my hobby :D not sure thou,  so I leave her in her house it was like 12:10 am PST , so hell with it I give it a try in the middle of the street in my car parking and connect with my 3g mobile internet access(yes I know :( ) , already had the page preloaded for AmiAmi Max in my cellphone, refresh and saw the PO orange button appeared and I was like OMG!!! gogogogo. and pressed the button got and error , refreshed again and it was on my cart, I login (took some minutes)  and 15 min later I was able to complete the order!! I was like can't believe I did it !!! . It definitely  was a good night, great time with my GF and got the PO MAX from AmiAmi  :D   

Congrats! That is a website crash and glitch that worked in your favor! If a site has to glitch, gotta love when it happens like that!

38 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Congrats! That is a website crash and glitch that worked in your favor! If a site has to glitch, gotta love when it happens like that!

hehe thanks,  it really was a surprised I managed to get one, these PO's madness nights some are effing insane. 

24 minutes ago, Smiley424 said:

I don't believe so, not on screen anyway. him and Miriya had the VF-1Js with Super Packs.

not on screen i guess you meant non canon. :)
The 1Js yes, but not the 1A, i think... 

14 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

He did in DYRL I believe.

Yup for DYRL, but i was specifically referring to his TV 1A. 

Anyway. this was what i found as a custom...

https://www.deviantart.com/brolyss4/art/Max-VF-1A-Hero-Pose-Macross-549926966

macross___vf_1a_max_super_battroid_tv_version_by_brolyss4_d93esqr-fullview.jpg.0eda75176aff610979669ed35848d408.jpgmax_vf_1a___dirty_back___macross_by_brolyss4_d93euu2-pre.jpg.97083caf2d1d43569ae12943b528a050.jpg

Maybe someone will do a custom 1/48 super 1A using max TV 1A, if and when the 1/48 supers are released... 

Edited by seti88

2 minutes ago, seti88 said:

not on screen i guess you meant non canon. :)
The 1Js yes, but not the 1A, i think... 

Yup for DYRL, but i was specifically referring to his TV 1A. 

Anyway. this was what i found as a custom...

https://www.deviantart.com/brolyss4/art/Max-VF-1A-Hero-Pose-Macross-549926966

macross___vf_1a_max_super_battroid_tv_version_by_brolyss4_d93esqr-fullview.jpg.0eda75176aff610979669ed35848d408.jpgmax_vf_1a___dirty_back___macross_by_brolyss4_d93euu2-pre.jpg.97083caf2d1d43569ae12943b528a050.jpg

Maybe someone will do a custom 1/48 super 1A if 1/48 supers are released... 

That looks sweet!