Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Thanks Shizuka that theory actually makes a lot of sense (the idea of lots, and warehousing). While I agree with what your friend said, I do wonder how TWE preorders fit into the model. Maybe these are produced in much smaller lot sizes and warehousing won’t ever be an issue anyway as they’re all prepaid up front. 

Just now, rdrunner said:

I would be curious to know too. What websites would you search for a Japanese Macross forum??

A toy reviewer in HK said none of his friends and him were able to secure a PO for the Max 1A. So it’s not just us American fans who got screwed this time. 

What if there were like 100 pieces and the reason we didn't get one is because of an error. Then tomorrow we'll get an apology from Bandai execs. They'll give us a two minute head start during PO. LOL

Just now, derex3592 said:

Nope. not gonna do it. Principles. 

Especially from N-Y

Max is my favorite character, and if release day come and I still haven't gotten a copy, then I'll begrudgingly pay a markup, but not 1 day after preorders opened. 

-b.

2 minutes ago, tjdetweiler said:

Hot damn, that’s quite the markup lol

4 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Especially from N-Y

Max is my favorite character, and if release day come and I still haven't gotten a copy, then I'll begrudgingly pay a markup, but not 1 day after preorders opened. 

-b.

I wish you all the best! I hope that you are able to secure one of your fav characters! I just got very lucky but not until 3 hours when POs opened up.

Just now, Shizuka the Cat said:

A friend of mine who works at Hasbro explained a possible theory as to why Bandai does not make enough valkyries.

He said that, depending on the manufacturer, one cannot just order an arbitrary number of toys to be made. Rather, they have to be ordered in lots.  For example, if a single lot is 2500 valkyries, maybe Bandai ordered 2 lots of the VF-1A because they knew that would completely sell, but were not convinced that 3 lots of inventory would clear quickly.

Also, due to the quantity of a lot, it is not practical to have open pre-orders, since what happens if the pre-orders that come in does not come close to filling out a lot multiple? That runs the risk of the company either needing to cancel pre-orders down to a lot multiple, or going up to the next lot multiple and having too much extra merchandise.

He also said that Bandai may be trying to avoid warehousing product as much as possible, so they might have fewer products manufactured, but don't have to worry about warehousing since they pretty much already sold everything off due to pre-orders. This is versus an approach of making perhaps too much and needing to keep some inventory warehoused in hopes of eventually getting sold off, potentially at a discount.... which they might be trying to avoid.

He's not sure if this scenario is true for Bandai... or at least the division of Bandai responsible for Macross toys, but he offered it as to one possibility.

Indeed, that's why getting PO info before actually beginning manufacture, and using said info to inform your manufacturing numbers solves the 'overstock' issue, in a different way than they're doing now, which [hopefully] won't result in further mass-disappointments like this morning.

Customers happy with your service not only return, but sometimes even bring new customers with them.

Fed-up customers may stay asleep during the next PO night.

A tipping point will eventually be reached...or people will learn to love taking it up the wallet. Either way, time will tell.

But count me out for this line at least...

Just now, derex3592 said:

Nope. not gonna do it. Principles. 

Indeed.

2 minutes ago, tjdetweiler said:

I wish you all the best! I hope that you are able to secure one of your fav characters! I just got very lucky but not until 3 hours when POs opened up.

Thank you!

Going to need all the luck I can get

-b.

Yeah, the gouging from NY was predictable.  I stopped checking them a while ago, knowing that it would be ridiculous when it resurfaced.  I kind of hate giving them money for even their reasonably priced stuff, but sometimes they are the only option.

I just wanted a VF-1A of any variety.  If I would have known Max was going to be such a cluster, I would have just slept in.  Hopefully I'll catch a mass production or Kakizaki version, with less madness.

2 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

27500. Whoa..275.00 give or take. WT fricking....anyone recall what the VF-1J was going for on release day? I know I'm gonna pay a mark up but dang that seems silly.

My VF-1J is from amazon jp on release day, $240, not too far from $275.

Amazon jp third-party price is dropping slowly. Eventually, it will go below NY's price.

At this point, I am preparing myself for some major markup.

11 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

27500. Whoa..270.00 give or take. WT fricking....anyone recall what the VF-1J was going for on release day? I know I'm gonna pay a mark up but dang that seems silly.

my best recollection is that it was trading around 24-25k the first couple days, then went up to 28k then 30k fairly quickly in the first week or two. 

4 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

Eating my words here.  Paid $315 shipped EMS just now on Nippon Yasan.

if Fokker is not a tamashii release, we are all screwed.

Unless of course they release more batches than the VF-1A. I would suspect....well I wont assume anything after the last 18 hours. Did a number on my sleep, but it was an eye opening experiance. 

12 minutes ago, Checkmate said:

I was about to buy it but yeah, principles. They held off on releasing their whole stock so they could prey on us fans.

Hats off sir for the principles. If I hadn’t been lucky, I would admittedly have caved as well. 

NY’s ticketing system combined with their deliberate stock limitation is bloody ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I see "hot topic," I click. What's going on? A reissue? Someone got new stock?

NY does. For 27500Y/270.00 US for the VF-1A DX. I assume they held back some of thier surplus. Which is kind of...no not kind of, its filthy.

Edited by Alphahorizon

3 hours ago, Foblander said:

Now that I'm committed to at least the Vermillion Squadron and a Roy DX, I'm thinking real hard about slowing down on the robot spirit line to make sure there is enough space for the giants. Lol I love my robot spirit Gundams and they are so fun to play with, but Macross toys are such delightful pieces of art to own :) Each Macross toy I can appreciate and view as a unique masterpiece on it's own.

IMG_20190408_162008.jpg

I'm on the same boat and decided on letting go of some robot spirits.  Still grabbing the 0083 though...those are must haves for me.  Nice pose on that Alex!

I just bought one form NY.  It's the same price I paid for the VF-1J Hikaru so I can't complain too much and I can only see it going up from there if anyone is able to get more later.

At least it's secured.  :unsure:

Edited by Gwynne

Nippon Yasan is not even allowing for the pay later option.  Hikaru’s 1J was able to be paid later.  

This has effected me enough that I’m not going to sell my 2 new premium VF-1 Fokkers by Arcadia.  There is a real chance the DX release may be unattainable responsibly.  It could get released higher than premium O-S prices.

To be fair to Nippon Yasan:

They always relist the day after at a mark up, it’s not new.  What is new is that the demand and prices of the 1-J caused this release of the 1A to get listed at such a higher markup.  

If anyone is to blame for the condition we are in, It’s Bandai for not printing enough.

No.

Actually its Harmony Gold, if they could sell Macross in the US, then the largest economy in the world would be contributing and influencing Bandais print rate which would be much higher.

F  Robotech.  

Even though it led me to Macross.

watch Toynami release another run of their junk masterpiece VF-1’s thinking they can get in on this action.

Edited by Ridden001
Corrected grammar tense.

Hopefully Bandai punishes NY and NinNin for up-pricing it before release, I doubt it though. 

IMO the 1/48 DX is worth $300, especially when compared to the Arcadia YF-19 and VF-4. I don't wanna pay it, but $250 USD is better than $350...

Edited by easnoddy