Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 minute ago, Darth Mingus said:

When Amazon swoops in, they buy up all the stock from Bandai, which means less stock for the other, smaller players and this happens to everything that Amazon agrees to carry.

If Amazon bought up all of Bandai's stock, they wouldn't have sold out in five minutes...

But regardless, Bandai is seriously underestimating demand.  <_<

Was up all night like others and got kicked out of 4 sites during checkout confirmation. I went to sleep before Amazon. Oh well, hopefully a reasonably priced 1 comes up. Like many others if someone has an extra please let me know.  Congrats to everyone who got one!  And I really appreciate everyones post, especially Shizuka the Cat.  You rock!

Edited by fry

15 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Anyone here know how to write a competing Bot for the next pre-order madness?  MW's can unite and pool resources to help the fam?  If I can score an extra at some point, I'd be glad to help anyone here.  Paying it forward and supporting the (proto)culture here is what makes this community cool.

Ethical issues aside, it wouldn't be that hard to to write a site-specific bot, especially once you have the product page id.  Scripting something that crawls all the major vendors and places orders would be a lot more involved, but not impossible.  The problem is, if you're overseas, you're still at a pretty significant disadvantage compared to the botters in Asia who have much lower latency to the retailers' servers.  Fractions of a second matter in situations like that, and there isn't a way for someone that isn't in Asia to overcome that.

2 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

What are the chances in the next few days to weeks that there will be stock on these Japanese sites due to whatever reasons? Is it worth having all the pages up and F5ing it to death just in case? That is what I usually do for US preorders and sites as BBTS, TD, etc.

This is what I'm hoping for.  Just set up all the relevant alerts, and hope the botters have backed off, I guess.

3 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

PO madness tonight for Yellow armor?

Will the usual suspects (HLJ, Amiami, CDJ, AE, and god forbid, NY) carry this one?  How bad were the previous PO madness for this line?  I might stay up and get one tonight as well if I can. 

I went to bed around 1:40am.  Nature called at 4am and thought I should check stores again and nothing.   I was among those here who said when this was first announced that I was on the fence about getting Max.  I still am.  If I was able to casually pick one up at the preorder 5% to 10% discount with a fair shipping cost I would have been okay.  I'm not going to pay 200% the MSRP just for a preorder.  What gets me mad isn't the fact I lost out of Max but how I may lose future preorders that I really want if this becomes the new trend.

12 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Ethical issues aside, it wouldn't be that hard to to write a site-specific bot, especially once you have the product page id. 

With great power comes great responsibility? I hear ya, just frustrating to see scalpers pull that bs. Would be cool to fight fire with fire if possible.

I am down to my last resort and am trying to see if I can secure a preorder from a local shop. If that doesn't pan out, that might be it for me with regards to the 1/48 DX line. I've been able to secure every single Bandai DX release since I got into it with the first release YF-29 Durandal. And because of that I kinda felt obligated to continue getting them all for the collection. But if I am not gonna be able to get them all, that kills a lot of the motivation for me complete the line.

One thing about collectors like me. Sometimes it's all or nothing.

3 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

I am down to my last resort and am trying to see if I can secure a preorder from a local shop. If that doesn't pan out, that might be it for me with regards to the 1/48 DX line. I've been able to secure every single Bandai DX release since I got into it with the first release YF-29 Durandal. And because of that I kinda felt obligated to continue getting them all for the collection. But if I am not gonna be able to get them all, that kills a lot of the motivation for me complete the line.

One thing about collectors like me. Sometimes it's all or nothing.

Tried one of the toy seller. He won't offer it since per last experience (VF-1J) his store allocation got MASSIVELY CUT 

1 minute ago, Checkmate said:

What were your experiences with regards to getting one on street date release of VF-1J? I never bothered checking because I got one on P.O. night.

I was able to pick one up a day or two after release on FromJapan for only about a $50 markup after shipping, counted myself lucky.

I was just able to preordered Yellow from BBTS.  That was a toy on my wanted list.  Japanese retailers might have a cheaper price later but won't have $4 shipping so it will all balance out.

See what I hassle free experience this is was all suppose to be.

1 minute ago, levzloi said:

I was able to pick one up a day or two after release on FromJapan for only about a $50 markup after shipping, counted myself lucky.

I think that sounds about right - from memory, the prices on mandarake and YJA within the first couple days since release hovered at around 25000 yen. 

If I had to guess, the day 1 market price in the streets will probably be around 27k yen, higher than what it was for the -1J but below the 30k that scalpers on YJA seem to be asking for right now.

Thus far I've missed out on early preorders for HMR Silvie and DX YF-19, but was able to secure one later before release date. 

Really, the only way we've been fighting the 3rd party resellers from buying up all the stocks is when new Japanese web stores open up/would be around that they didn't necessarily trust.  The good thing for us is that these creeps would only trust a few stores, now they trust more.  HLJ was great until it would sell out in minutes, then AmiAmi was good for a while, then CD Japan...  Now we're at the end of the line.

Also, they would steer clear of the pre-paid preorders, not wanting to hold the credit liability that long I suppose.  But this one is near guaranteed 100% ROI. 

Edited by easnoddy

What are the chances that Macross fans will bug Shoji Kawamori to ask Bandai to do a 2nd preorder like what the Evangelion fans did to Ikuto Yamashita on the shortage of Metal Build Eva-01 during release to have a 2nd preorder?

2 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

Thus far I've missed out on early preorders for HMR Silvie and DX YF-19, but was able to secure one later before release date. 

Really, the only way we've been fighting the 3rd party resellers from buying up all the stocks is when new Japanese web stores open up.  The good thing for us is that these creeps would only trust a few stores, now they trust more.  HLJ was great until it would sell out in minutes, then AmiAmi was good for a while, then CD Japan...  Now we're at the end of the line.

I don't understand why NONE of these Japanese sites can keep the order in the cart for a few minutes, like how we buy cinema tickets here online with the AMC theatres or something.  Surely it can't be THAT hard to do, and if they all demand payment upfront, or at least a sizable deposit, that would surely help remove some of the incentives from scalpers taking advantage, because they have some skin in the game rather than taking no-risk bets and make money out of zero deposit?

Get to it people, start bugging SK on Twitter.  Would possibly help the 3rd party resellers who bought up all the stocks and pre-paid possibly lose their butts.  The interesting thing is that Max 1A is not a popular model.  It defies reason that suddenly it would be this popular. The only reason this pre-order went so crazy is that people think they can get double their money on the resale market.

8 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

Really, the only way we've been fighting the 3rd party resellers from buying up all the stocks is when new Japanese web stores open up/would be around that they didn't necessarily trust.  The good thing for us is that these creeps would only trust a few stores, now they trust more.  HLJ was great until it would sell out in minutes, then AmiAmi was good for a while, then CD Japan...  Now we're at the end of the line.

Also, they would steer clear of the pre-paid preorders, not wanting to hold the credit liability that long I suppose.  But this one is near guaranteed 100% ROI. 

Yes, I was surprised that given the popularity of the DX YF-19 FSP, it was very easy to get on PO night and it is still available for a not-crazy after market price today. 

7 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

Get to it people, start bugging SK on Twitter.  Would possibly help the 3rd party resellers who bought up all the stocks and pre-paid possibly lose their butts.  The interesting thing is that Max 1A is not a popular model.  It defies reason that suddenly it would be this popular. The only reason this pre-order went so crazy is that people think they can get double their money on the resale market.

It makes all the sense in the world. The first release doubled in price immediately. Scalpers don't care or know about characters, they want to sell. Arsewipes of the earth....

Sorry guys, i am still butthurt from last night.

Edited by vlenhoff

1 minute ago, rdrunner said:

I don't understand why NONE of these Japanese sites can keep the order in the cart for a few minutes, like how we buy cinema tickets here online with the AMC theatres or something.  Surely it can't be THAT hard to do, and if they all demand payment upfront, or at least a sizable deposit, that would surely help remove some of the incentives from scalpers taking advantage, because they have some skin in the game rather than taking no-risk bets and make money out of zero deposit?

Like I mentioned last night, at this point of doing this preorders, I don't mind paying the whole thing upfront now as long that they will deliver. They need to do this like made to order type of thing based on how many paid or how many are committed to buy and made deposits. And not do like pay upfront and limit the production like the Kairos. Bandai really need to change this. They're already aware of scalpers. What happened to the Metal Build Eva-01 should already be a red flag to them. They don't need fans to bug creators in order to ask Bandai for a second round of preorder.

Now, should we need to bug Kawamori for this?

Just now, vlenhoff said:

It makes all the snese in the world. the first released doubled in price immediately. Calpers don't care or know about characters, they was to sell. Arsewipes of the earth....

I hope that VF-1A street price will not go as crazy. I will want to get one on release day. And hopefully not give too much profit to the scalper to encourage them to do more of the same in the future.

But this is a free market, so anything goes. Unless Bandai or shops impose stronger limitation one per person limit. Not sure how they can practically implement something useful. Just like the craziness with iPhone release. When something is desirable, then it will be harder to get.

So I am hoping that free market force will come into play and general demand and supply will rule and if supply is sufficient from Bandai, then prices will not be too crazy.

1 minute ago, no3Ljm said:

Like I mentioned last night, at this point of doing this preorders, I don't mind paying the whole thing upfront now as long that they will deliver. They need to do this like made to order type of thing based on how many paid or how many are committed to buy and made deposits. And not do like pay upfront and limit the production like the Kairos. Bandai really need to change this. They're already aware of scalpers. What happened to the Metal Build Eva-01 should already be a red flag to them. They don't need fans to bug creators in order to ask Bandai for a second round of preorder.

Now, should we need to bug Kawamori for this?

I agree wholeheartedly.  If paying upfront could guarantee at least 1 unit per buyer, I would be very happy to do so.  It really is THEIR responsibility to find a better way to match demand with adequate supply and not let the scalpers take away their potential profits. 

Just now, kkx said:

I hope that VF-1A street price will not go as crazy. I will want to get one on release day. And hopefully not give too much profit to the scalper to encourage them to do more of the same in the future.

But this is a free market, so anything goes. Unless Bandai or shops impose stronger limitation one per person limit. Not sure how they can practically implement something useful. Just like the craziness with iPhone release. When something is desirable, then it will be harder to get.

So I am hoping that free market force will come into play and general demand and supply will rule and if supply is sufficient from Bandai, then prices will not be too crazy.

I hope so too.  If the situation we saw last night was ENTIRELY due to scalpers and botters being much more active than the last release (DX 1J), we should see day 1 prices fall back to the levels seen with the 1J on release date (iirc, around 24-25k).   But if Bandai had also reduced the production numbers, this will drive up the day 1 prices.  I sincerely hope that Bandai will learn the lesson from this release going forward, adjust the production numbers and find a better way to deal with scalpers.