Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

7 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Actually, I have never shopped at BigInJapan. 

My mistake then. But I can’t shake the feeling someone here had some terrible experiences. 

Well I finally got my vf-1j in. I waited a while to get it shipped since I had it in my hlj warehouse. So far after the first day it is the best of the VF ever. Still definitely for adults. This is too complex to 'play' with. I wish there was something with the chunky monkey sturdiness.

38 minutes ago, Vortech said:

Is the DX VF-1J pretty hard to acquire?  Felt like it was available for more then the norm after release. 

Might throw one of mine up in the FS section. 

No, it’s just not available at preorder prices. 

1 hour ago, Vortech said:

Is the DX VF-1J pretty hard to acquire?  Felt like it was available for more then the norm after release. 

Might throw one of mine up in the FS section. 

As Spacemanoeuvres pointed out, it wasn't available at 'Discounted PO Price' after it got released.

3 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

did anyone get the free shipping from nippon yasan?

I didn't know NY offered free shipping, David. That's a good time to get that Soul Blue SF.  8)

That is, I have extra Y60000 to burn. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I didn't know NY offered free shipping, David. That's a good time to get that Soul Blue SF.  8)

That is, I have extra Y60000 to burn. :rolleyes:

i think the promo is over and ended 1/28 but yeah that's soul blue is pretty high in price. 

44 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yeah, I got some stuff, since I was up at 5am (PST) losing a Yahoo Japan auction.

oh nice Sanity! i was trying to get a few items on yahoo too, if NY had them in stock, i would've taken advantage of the free shipping.

3 hours ago, Kuma Style said:

Nice shots, man. 

Yeah nice pics, welcome aboard SMS. I just realized in Delta SMS stands for SpaceManSpiff. Go SMS squadron!

I feel like deja vu.

Edited by Spiff

Bandai has hit a homer with this valk. It's not perfect but it's darn close. I am very impressed/pleased with it and looking forward to a full line up of VF-1 TV or DYRL valks. I like them all.

I don't see Arcadia upping the game IE updating and revamping the 1/48 line. They have a good thing going with the 1/60 line.

Ah Jetfire, the one that got me started down this path.

Now that the hype on this one has died down I went back to drool over the fast/strike pack pictures again. I hope they release super packs for the VF-1J even though it isn't in the anime. I've never been much of a fan of the GBP, but this valk is so nice that I'll probably want to buy a different outfit to dress him up.

I ordered the missile set, I’ll definitely order the Super part set. Then I’m done with this series unless Bandai makes a CF variant. 

I’d buy an Alaska Base version so hard, though. 

does anyone have a feeling the dx chogokin vf-1 series is either a passion project or a strategic move?

looking at this thing in hand, there is no way this can be more profitable than their normal dx chogokin valkyries.  everything about it screams "this cost more to make than a vf-31".  sure the design is simpler, but design is a "one time" cost and not a running cost.  yet they release this thing at an msrp of less than  a typical dx chogokin.  delta was super popular (at least in japan is my impressin) so they coul djust keep cranking those variants out for years and nobody would have blinked if they never made these.  perhaps bandai just saw an opportunity to supplant arcadia using their economies of scale to produce a bigger better product at a cheaper cost?  sure they will nickel and dime us for the add on parts...but they aren't strictly necessary.

3 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

does anyone have a feeling the dx chogokin vf-1 series is either a passion project or a strategic move?

looking at this thing in hand, there is no way this can be more profitable than their normal dx chogokin valkyries.  everything about it screams "this cost more to make than a vf-31".  sure the design is simpler, but design is a "one time" cost and not a running cost.  yet they release this thing at an msrp of less than  a typical dx chogokin.  delta was super popular (at least in japan is my impressin) so they coul djust keep cranking those variants out for years and nobody would have blinked if they never made these.  perhaps bandai just saw an opportunity to supplant arcadia using their economies of scale to produce a bigger better product at a cheaper cost?  sure they will nickel and dime us for the add on parts...but they aren't strictly necessary.

If it's a strategic move then it is working on me  lol Personally, the DX VF-1J showed me how Bandai has the ability to make a superior VF-1 when compared to Yamcadia. For the longest time, no other company came close to touching Yamcadia's VF-1 products. Honestly, it has made me think about wanting clear out my Yamcadia 1/60 V2 VF-1 toys. However, it has also made me yearn for Bandai's own 1/60 line :)

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

I ordered the missile set, I’ll definitely order the Super part set. Then I’m done with this series unless Bandai makes a CF variant. 

I’d buy an Alaska Base version so hard, though. 

I'm good until Bandai decides to "right-size" the current DX line to 1/60-ish....:rolleyes:

large.20180621_215531.jpg.9d5929460fd81e

35 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

Almost everything in multinational business is strategic. Their costs on this project were likely not as high as others since most of the design and tech is decades old. Plus, we have seen cost cutting corners cut like lower quality tampo and tolerance issues.

Still, I'm glad mine seems to be in good shape with the only issue being the wings not lining up perfect in Battroid mode. Overall, it is a great toy, IMO..In fact, the best despite some of the improvements it could still have. 

11 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

SDFM/DYRL > Delta, the VF-1 has a popularity/nostalgia upper hand.

However new VF-1 releases need to come with significant differentiating factors, in light of many VF-1 releases by everyone.... 
In this case the tampo, improved robustness, larger scale and pricing are the winds in the sails of the VF-1 chogokin...not to mention the overall positive fan-dom acceptance...

Strategically, yes, i think bandai was somehow trying to get the piece of the after market VF-1 pricing pie.
That being said, am glad they put in some innovation (sculpt,design,articulation, pricing) in their offering enough to overcome risks of VF-1 demand saturation.

I certainly hope bandai will continue to crank out vermillion squadron........