Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

That GBP, sir, looks amazing!

Can you share how you applied the stickers to the armor so that they don’t peel off over time?  My stickers on a 2008 1/48 have started peeling. Did you need any Mark Setter? Thanks 

Thank you, she's my pride & joy! As for the stickers I tried to cut (with scissors) as many of them down in size so it would make them harder to peel off. No mark setter or clear coat used, so far everything is holding up nicely. B))

Just now, seti88 said:

waiting...

May the Almighty send you to some uncomfortable-hot place... that's going to be stuck in my head for weeks... WEEKS! :crazy: :D

Edited by slide

2 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

My amazon order finally processed correctly and shipped, expected next Tuesday. This will be my first Valkyrie figure!

Mine too with an eta of Monday (pretty sure it will arrive during the 2 hour window when nobody is home)

I know I'm paying a higher mark up for missing the pre-orders but man Amazon got some great shipping prices.  I usually choose SAL registered when going with the usual web shops as it pains me to pay over $20 in shipping just to get something a week earlier.   Amazon is going to ship this jumbo size toy over the weekend for only $11?   Everybody else would charge me like what $50?

1 hour ago, slide said:

May the Almighty send you to some uncomfortable-hot place... that's going to be stuck in my head for weeks... WEEKS! :crazy: :D

:lol::angel::angel::diablo:8P

37 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Still waiting for mine to ship from AmiAmi too. WTF?

Chris

Am waiting too, but news of ami orders going out should mean they are clearing their backlog.....i just hope they arent as slow as others like N-Y or even HLJ after big holidays...  

4 hours ago, treatment said:

Discovered what seems to be the only compatible part between the old Yammie-1/48 and the new Bandai DX-1J...

hikaru-1J-stuff.thumb.jpg.40cc40088b6de39a23e4d77d51bad6b6.jpg

Yeah.

The Skull heatshield.

Woo hoo or something...

:bump:

That looks nice. :good: Perhaps, Bandai might get a hold of MtF VF-1J rights to produce a DX version? That would be awesome and sweet. :wub:

Tried the "special stand" that made this release a "Limited Edition".

Other than the tampo printing, it ain't special at all.

At least in functionality.

In fact, it's really kinda stupid.  Not really sure why it's even a separate part other than maybe to make the box-packaging equal to the DX-YF19 box size to charge more shipping fees.

There are grooves for specific positioning ("A" =bank right, "B"= neutral/non-bank, "C"= bank left) on the adaptor-piece.

You have to always remove and reconnect to the arm-piece to do specific banking or non-banking display.

And that's  about it.

Try not to get tempted to bank the DX while the adaptor is already connected/engaged with the arm.

It's not articulated like the old simple Yamato mighty-block stands or the recent Arcadia simple clear stands.

As always, I reckon Yeti will be offering better stands for this DX 1J.  If his current yeti-stands aren't already compatible with this DX, yet.

:unknw:

Edited by treatment

Also additional decals added to that Toysdaily one. Ejection triangles, 101, UN Spacy on tail fins etc. Perhaps I'll have to look into getting some Hasegawa 1/48 decals now.

I wonder why the owner did not panel line front and back of the shoulders.

Looks very nice overall! I'm excited to work on weathering mine. I love the panel lines on Bandai's molds. I've said it before; Arcadia need to improve in that department.

5 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Aaaaand still nothing from AmiAmi. Come on man.....

Chris

I think Amiami is closed until Monday. It's totally dead in Japan for most places after New Years, which is why I hate spending New Years with the inlaws because it's soooooo boring and awkward when nothing is open and you're stuck in your wife's parents' place with nothing to do.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:52 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

ok i just opened mine up,

good news for you Tekkaman2k5! there is access to the thigh piece. you'll need to pop this cover off (rectangle shaped piece in the middle pictured) to expose the screw.

Be very careful to use a thin plastic tool. Do not use anything metal such as flat head screwdriver as it will leave a mark on your valk and dent the plastic.

ex:  tool set  from amazon that works if you can't find something in your home https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Precision-Screwdriver-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer/dp/B073TR8KCR/

the long black piece pictured in the link  or equivalent is what you need.  it's a plastic mini panel popper

IMG_3850.JPG

my part to try and fix my leg will be here tomorrow. Will try to fix on sunday!! wish me luck. if not will return to Amazon and hope can snag another one even if have to pay more.

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Aaaaand still nothing from AmiAmi. Come on man.....

Chris

I just finally got request for payment from Ami early this morning at 2am EST. I paid this morning via PayPal. Didnt get a confirmation email but the payment went through and on my order status page it says "processing shipment (paid)". I think they were open today and were just going through orders one at a time. I believe they'll be open tomorrow so you should see something soon.

Edited by batteryoperatedsoul

5 hours ago, eggy99 said:

Also additional decals added to that Toysdaily one. Ejection triangles, 101, UN Spacy on tail fins etc. Perhaps I'll have to look into getting some Hasegawa 1/48 decals now.

I wonder why the owner did not panel line front and back of the shoulders.

Looks very nice overall! I'm excited to work on weathering mine. I love the panel lines on Bandai's molds. I've said it before; Arcadia need to improve in that department.

What method/materials do you use to panel line this figure? I've read varying suggestions/recommendations over on the HMR thread. Debating if I should do it to my figure, makes such a huge difference!

Edited by canklebreaker

1 hour ago, batteryoperatedsoul said:

I just finally got request for payment from Ami early this morning at 2am EST. I paid this morning via PayPal. Didnt get a confirmation email but the payment went through and on my order status page it says "processing shipment (paid)". I think they were open today and were just going through orders one at a time. I believe they'll be open tomorrow so you should see something soon.

Yeah, mine says the same thing. I paid for mine a week ago when the Valk was released and they sent me my payment request. I know I’ll get it, just anxious and annoyed at how slow they’re operating. Due to their holidays. Shitting release timing and what SEEMS like a lack of effort on their part to take care of things whilst they’re open. Bah, just blowing off steam. 

Chris 

1 hour ago, Goofy said:

Has anyone received shipping info from NY? 

3 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

What method/materials do you use to panel line this figure? I've read varying suggestions/recommendations over on the HMR thread. Debating if I should do it to my figure, makes such a huge difference!

I normally use grey copic marker as the tip is smaller than the Gundam marker panel lining pen. I think it’s 1/2 the size. 

But... on all my latest work I used Gundam real touch markers to weather the panel lines and edges which provided a subtle panel line + the weathering effect. On some parts a line still needs to be added, but it depends on the depth of the line. Also some silver dry brushed over metallic surfaces. Once that is done I spray a matte coat to lock it all in. 

This is the kind of finish I end up with.

post-7871-0-92495900-1445314202_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-68081100-1445314241_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-45972100-1444222133_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-60144600-1444222407_thumb.jpg

I’ve never worked with a completely white valk before, but I’m relieved that the DX is more a grey white so that should be easier to work with without the weathering looking too heavy. 

4 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

I suggest you try Flory’s Washes since they’re clay so it’s water based. When you make mistake it’s easy to wipe it with wet wipes and not harming the plastic like how some thinner does. There’s also Vallejo Model Wash which is water based too. There’s some YouTube videos of showing how to use all of these. So I suggest you watched those videos first and see if it’s to your liking before making a purchase. If you have extra kits laying around, try it on them first before applying it on your most expensive toy. ^_^ 

Hope that helps. :drinks:

Edited by no3Ljm

25 minutes ago, Saburo said:

For those that have their VF-1J, have you noticed that the intake covers tend to not sit flush?

Yes, it seems like they're a hair larger than Bandai expected them to be... like if you could shave them just a tiny bit toward the top they would fit better.

12 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Yeah, they don’t have a positive fastening. Still, they also don’t just fall out, either. 

Yes this is what the intake covers are like for me, I wanted to see if other has the same issue. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, jenius said:

Yes, it seems like they're a hair larger than Bandai expected them to be... like if you could shave them just a tiny bit toward the top they would fit better.

Thanks @jenius,  as you described  the covers are a tiny bit larger. 

I was thinking of sanding them down just a tad bit to reduce the tension.

20 hours ago, treatment said:

Discovered what seems to be the only compatible part between the old Yammie-1/48 and the new Bandai DX-1J...

hikaru-1J-stuff.thumb.jpg.40cc40088b6de39a23e4d77d51bad6b6.jpg

Yeah.

The Skull heatshield.

Woo hoo or something...

:bump:

How about the missiles?  The attaching mechanism on the wings for both brands look similar...

just saw tekering’s post.  Too bad yammies aren’t compatible 

Edited by beatsing