Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

16 minutes ago, tekering said:

No, just movie-style fists.

Ugh.. time to break out the Shapeways account again..

I know it's picking at a knit, and the hands might work perfectly fine... but those really aren't "movie style" fists.  Anything from DYRL-onward has only two finger joints.  Those hands are straight off a Gundam/Transformer.

Edited by Chronocidal

39 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Ugh.. time to break out the Shapeways account again..

I know it's picking at a knit, and the hands might work perfectly fine... but those really aren't "movie style" fists.  Anything from DYRL-onward has only two finger joints.  Those hands are straight off a Gundam/Transformer.

What if it's like this:

d344b388213f3acaacfc17e887ec2aa1.gif.12f00a26b93c629a4f65beca7809270b.gif

43 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

How necessary is it to detach the legs? Does keeping the legs attached on the bar completely negate hip articulation?

Totally unnecessary.  I've transformed mine twice now, and I've yet to even try detaching the legs.  All the transformations, poses and shots I've achieved so far have been with the swing bar attached.  There's already more articulation at the hips than any previous transforming VF-1.

Why does a Valkyrie even need a waist joint?

12 hours ago, sh9000 said:

They’ve come a long way.  Pretty cool.

Nostalgia overload hearing the spring kicking the gears and doors (forgot it did doors too!) for landing gear deployment. Fingers still flinch whenever i see the front gears open.

Lets see a modern valk do that! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

CD4AEAF9-8D15-4558-A452-FA65D1C5893C.jpeg.3dcc604a639a0f8a19cdd2093c636a3e.jpeg

Ominous sign?? After/If(?) kawamori san retires, will he be able to carry on the valk designs?

Edited by seti88

14 hours ago, lechuck said:

Wotafu has his review up with some good comparisons. Yaaayyyy... clap, clap, clap....

Just finished watching this. Looks like Wotafa forgot to slide the shoulder hinge joint towards under the wing root in Gerwalk mode. ^_^

^same 

anyone order those stupid missiles and get ripped off? 40 bucks for them... i can't wait till Bandai releases other vf-1's and forced to re-package the missiles. no way they're going to do an exclusive one and done with these missiles.

They'll either pull a movie messer and then resell the attachments in a another form of packaging which will force plp to buy even more. like when they sold the nukes with 31J anniversary then repackaged them with Mirages fast packs. 

Bandai really using fear tactics to get plp to by 40 dollar missiles. 

18 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

^same 

anyone order those stupid missiles and get ripped off? 40 bucks for them... i can't wait till Bandai releases other vf-1's and forced to re-package the missiles. no way they're going to do an exclusive one and done with these missiles.

They'll either pull a movie messer and then resell the attachments in a another form of packaging which will force plp to buy even more. like when they sold the nukes with 31J anniversary then repackaged them with Mirages fast packs. 

But... but... Arcadia is so expensive!

18000 valk + 5000 missiles + probably at least 9000 for super/strike parts = a lot of money! And three shipping costs on top of that! Soooo cheap! :lol:

Assuming you were able to get one at release. Still some peeps who didn't get one and have to pay extra on the secondary market (22k on Mandarake if you're fast!).

On a more serious note, mine's left OH and on it's way here. I really hope it gets here tomorrow (today)! I want it nooooow!

23 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

^same 

You know?

That reminds me.

My DX-Mirage nukes are red-tipped. 

Wonder if they're compatible with the DX 1J...

:rofl:

4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

CD4AEAF9-8D15-4558-A452-FA65D1C5893C.jpeg.3dcc604a639a0f8a19cdd2093c636a3e.jpeg

Awesome.

I'm going to start a go fund me campaign to buy all the Macross valkyries I want to buy, and I am going to be totally up front and shameless about my intentions.  Macross for me and no other 100% of the time.

On second thought, I'm going to do something totally selfless and benevolent and start a go fund me campaign to buy all the Macross valkyries I want to see in a museum, call it the Macross Museum, and have everything from the eighties to the present day.  Any and all members of the MM forums can contribute if they want.  We'll have it in some deserted Midwestern city like the one I grew up in.  That way it won't inflict any real cultural damage.  Every contribution made will go toward buying another centerpiece in the collection.  We'll charge admission fees of course to sustain the premises, utilities, rent etc.  And the administrators of MM World can be the administrators of the Museum.  What do you think?

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

^same 

Yeah i got ripped off...:unknw:

Waited to see if the 19 armaments did fit, and indeed they did! However, CDJ's points made me take the plunge on the missile set so, it is what it is... 
Plus i have a choice of boxed or missile bunch too....so errr....whoopee to me...:huh:

To console myself i shall take note in the fact that i can now put the 1/48 missiles (logically speaking) on a 1/60 valk......ahem...big deal eh...

1 hour ago, MacrossMania said:

Awesome.

I'm going to start a go fund me campaign to buy all the Macross valkyries I want to buy, and I am going to be totally up front and shameless about my intentions.  Macross for me and no other 100% of the time.

On second thought, I'm going to do something totally selfless and benevolent and start a go fund me campaign to buy all the Macross valkyries I want to see in a museum, call it the Macross Museum, and have everything from the eighties to the present day.  Any and all members of the MM forums can contribute if they want.  We'll have it in some deserted Midwestern city like the one I grew up in.  That way it won't inflict any real cultural damage.  Every contribution made will go toward buying another centerpiece in the collection.  We'll charge admission fees of course to sustain the premises, utilities, rent etc.  And the administrators of MM World can be the administrators of the Museum.  What do you think?

Macross museum? HG gonna shut you down!! :D:p Unless u call it RT museum...:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

But... but... Arcadia is so expensive!

18000 valk + 5000 missiles + probably at least 9000 for super/strike parts = a lot of money! And three shipping costs on top of that! Soooo cheap! :lol:

Assuming you were able to get one at release. Still some peeps who didn't get one and have to pay extra on the secondary market (22k on Mandarake if you're fast!).

On a more serious note, mine's left OH and on it's way here. I really hope it gets here tomorrow (today)! I want it nooooow!

:D so true about arcadia.  rips you off with tampos.

damn, i need a set of the missiles but so tempted to wait...

6 hours ago, treatment said:

You know?

That reminds me.

My DX-Mirage nukes are red-tipped. 

Wonder if they're compatible with the DX 1J...

:rofl:

hmm. interesting.  i need to dig out my mirage supers 

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

Yeah i got ripped off...:unknw:

Waited to see if the 19 armaments did fit, and indeed they did! However, CDJ's points made me take the plunge on the missile set so, it is what it is... 
Plus i have a choice of boxed or missile bunch too....so errr....whoopee to me...:huh:

To console myself i shall take note in the fact that i can now put the 1/48 missiles (logically speaking) on a 1/60 valk......ahem...big deal eh...

i'm about to order a set myself:lol: 

i knew bandai would do this, i'm so used to it after getting all the metal build attachments:

- Avalanche exia weapons plus pack, you have to buy the entire 400 set to get that one extra sword attachment    

-Seven Sword GN Sword II Blaster. 40 bucks for a single piece of plastic!!!! http://us.p-bandai.asia/tamashiiwebshop/item-1000000917/

Stupid Bandai:angry:

1000000917_4.jpg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

She's here! Yay!

Opened her up and took a few quick pics. She's a beautiful bird alright.

As noted before, plastic is a greyish-white like the HMR versions and not bright white like the Yamato. Some dirty spots and mold release agent here and there, which is par for the course for Bandai stuff.

Feet are solid die cast.

Did someone say the box would be the same size as the DX 31? :p

182431168_DXVF-1J01.thumb.jpg.ad80368d97ec44d0a8d068bd2ae08a13.jpg

Contents (not including the stand trays)

1083030568_DXVF-1J02.thumb.jpg.98c11408faf39779bc77eeb37293c7cf.jpg

Showing off the lovely tampo printing.

1700240378_DXVF-1J03.jpg.32835ed70b0e53580dffaa0e49a43824.jpg

I'm with the peeps that don't care for the wing flap gimmick: it's not realistic and it leaves an unsightly gap in the wings.

406197368_DXVF-1J04.jpg.bb09f429efb831b998bde5579eb4c135.jpg

1596404674_DXVF-1J05.jpg.7941d5314892666f9094fe480b0721e7.jpg

30110807_DXVF-1J06.jpg.69c21b39bbb060c07830897c4dd9703a.jpg

Wish Bandai didn't tampo print UN SPACY right over the leg vents like that (will look unsightly with a wash).

1723582245_DXVF-1J07.jpg.8c7e3f6ee8f5324828172f451a1549ca.jpg

Compared with the Yamato 1/60 version.

53222094_DXVF-1J08.jpg.889a311eb9ec6e42f8ab7c7d25012483.jpg

597108647_DXVF-1J09.jpg.79c8624758f1fe34629333b948f84687.jpg

Yeah, we got HMR'd on the pilot size. And no ejection seat markings.

1572510831_DXVF-1J10.jpg.2f98ae215001f8b924a8bd5e63c6af2a.jpg

First impression overall is that she's a fantastic looking (and hefty) bird. Definitely a big step forward from the old Yamato 1/48. Though not sure I will want to replace my entire 1/60 squadrons with these 1/48s, but I'll cross that bridge if Bandai ever builds it. At the very least I'll want Focker's ride.

Will tinker with the transformation later when I get back home. I'm going to want to panel line and add some extra decals too. And paint the landing gear!^_^