Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

22 minutes ago, bbrain said:

What's the cheapest you can get this guy for right now?

Ebay sellers are already asking $300-$395.00 for this DX VF-1J. :(

Keep an eye on Mandarake, might be your best bet for a fair deal. Or maybe someone here has a spare they'll part with. 

40 minutes ago, tekering said:

Hmm.  Tricky... but not impossible.

1329151814_openingpose.thumb.jpg.262da1e5b83ff59fc16c4f3cd74134ba.jpg

Looks good tekering.  :good:  Was there a TV style left closed fist included?

24 minutes ago, bbrain said:

What's the cheapest you can get this guy for right now?

Hey bbrain I would have given you my preorder from HLJ if I knew you were looking for it.  I’ll be sure to check with people on here before cancelling any future preorders.  Hope you get one for a good price.

Edited by sh9000

21 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Looks good tekering.  :good:  Was there a TV style left closed fist included?

Hey bbrain I would have given you my preorder from HLJ if I knew you were looking for it.  I’ll be sure to check with people on here before cancelling any future preorders.  Hope you get one for a good price.

Please keep me in mind also!

Looks like someone has gotten a copy already off Manda for 22k yen. 

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1103241593&ref=list&keyword=マクロス&lang=en

Edit: Amazon.jp is asking 27k yen (for me) for the DX version from a 3rd party seller.

Out of 6 reviewers that has a copy already, seems like it's a 4.5 star rating.    

Edited by borgified

1 hour ago, borgified said:

Looks like someone has gotten a copy already off Manda for 22k yen. 

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1103241593&ref=list&keyword=マクロス&lang=en

Edit: Amazon.jp is asking 27k yen (for me) for the DX version from a 3rd party seller.

Out of 6 reviewers that has a copy already, seems like it's a 4.5 star rating.    

yeah. the price from amazon 3rd party sellers has been slowly climbing. 

And then there's only a few that will allow Amazon to ship to the USA.  

currently none of them will ship to the USA. 

18 hours ago, chyll2 said:

^ for the eventual GBP armor.

I honestly wish there were two ventral fin designs for most valks---with a "solid, study, non-folding version" used for all the VF-1's that never did wear the armor.  It's a common weak-point, all done for the 5 secs that like 3 valks ever wore it on-screen.   It's akin to the YF-19's "high-speed mode"---it introduces massive compromises to a specific area, to replciate a "blink and you'll miss it" scene.  Even when it does 'work', it still creates huge ugly hinges in what should be a smooth seamless part of the plane. 

Or even better, make them swappable, and include both types in the box.  Never going to buy/use GBP armor?  Then install the semi-permanent solid/sturdy set that has no hinges and has almost no chance of breaking.  Use GBP armor?  Then swap them out for the folding version. 

Personally think they should be detachable and then stow inside the calf armor so you don’t lose them. 

I guess that is partsforming, but sometimes compromises are needed for functionality and durability. 

Edited by eggy99

I agree with above sentiments. If the lower leg fin is a crappy as the YF-19’s V. Stabs then something else need to be done. Those things on the 19 fall off of you look at them funny and I have NO desire to purchase GBP armor, never cared for it.

Chris

1 hour ago, eggy99 said:

Personally think they should be detachable and then stow inside the calf armor so you don’t lose them. 

I guess that is partsforming, but sometimes compromises are needed for functionality and durability. 

But then people would complain about having to parts swap. Never underestimate MWers' abilities to find something to bitch about. :lol:

I'm not a big fan of the GBP (you're taking a highly mobile, transforming unit like the VF-1 and turning it into a destroid) but I'll probably get one anyway.

10 hours ago, lechuck said:

My random thoughts and observations from all the posted videos and pictures:

• With articulated manipulators I am wondering why Bandai even bothered with fixed posed hands. Would anybody really have missed them?

I'm going to be honest here.. I don't even primarily focus on battroid mode, but those articulated hands kind of piss me off, because they look nothing like what the later mechanical hands for the VF-1 look like.  Everything post-DYRL has only had two-jointed fingers.  These ones look like Bandai copy-pasted them from a MP/3P Transformer figure.

d344b388213f3acaacfc17e887ec2aa1.gif

I'm kind of baffled Bandai went so off-model, and made them mechanical-styled cartoon-design hands, which I think have never existed in any Macross animation at all.

I'm probably going to ditch the articulated ones for that specific reason, and just use the fixed pose ones for any gerwalk or battroid poses.

15 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Where in the original TV animation can we see the folding leg fins? 

I am ashamed to admit that I don’t recall ever seeing that and had always thought of it as an unnecessary gimmick that was first added by the 1/60 v2... 

Hikaru folded the leg fins upward during re-entry in the VF-1S.  The more important reason is to allow for better fitting GBP armor though.

Edited by Chronocidal

33 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

I am ashamed to admit that I don’t recall ever seeing that and had always thought of it as an unnecessary gimmick that was first added by the 1/60 v2... 

The funny thing about this that the fins always folded the wrong way. The should fould out towards the side of the leg and not towards over the landing gear doors. Yamacadai never did this right.

rdrunner, the legs are shown in use when Hikaru enters the atmosphere to rescue Misa. Even in the animation the legs fold out and not in. 

eggy99, It’s funny but true. But that is the way of MW.

ED2D0E21-81B3-45CF-9EA3-00FAC9C1C87F.jpeg

Edited by nightmareB4macross
Spellcheck.

12 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

It’s also to allow the GBP armor's greaves to be more proportional and anime-accurate. The old chunky monkeys had fixed fins and the greaves were made around them, which made them look funny. 

1 hour ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Quick note:

Macross SDFM, EP27, Love Drifts Away.

417B6640-19FC-436B-A679-0D6CEC82730C.jpeg

Thanks Everyone!!  That makes much more sense now because I was struggling to remember seeing the leg fins folding inwards. The Earth reentry scene (Ai wa nagareru) is one of my favorite in the TV series; but, to this day I still can’t associate the “airplane tire touchdown/skidding” sound with the Gerwalk’s metal feet hitting the gravel. :D

Edited by rdrunner