Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

4 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

On the right is a 1/60 Yamato. The one on the left I'm not familiar with. Maybe a 1/100 Toynami?

DX doesn't have a neck at this angle. Also really small hands.

I don't think the one on the left is the 1/100 Toynami. 

The fighter mode's front landing gear has a tow bar that I don't recognize on a Toynami.

I have bought many valks through NY, and while they do increase the price after preorders, at least you can still purchase your desired valk most of time if you miss it.  They push their stuff through shipping fast, package things well, and you don't have to deal with any possible shenanigans from ebay sellers.  I think they do a good job and make buying these toys super easy.  Have you all forgotten about the old days already?

Great to see another iteration of the VF-1. But from comparison pictures so far, IMHO I do still think the yammy/archie are still the best, aesthetic/proportion/playability wise. Bandai looks just a little bit bulky and disproportionate compared to the yammy/archie.

Maybe down the line I'll get one of them Bandai badboys for the sake of it, just like most other Bandai valks that I got, but eventually sold due to their lack of playability. Oh well.

20 minutes ago, aaajin said:

Great to see another iteration of the VF-1. But from comparison pictures so far, IMHO I do still think the yammy/archie are still the best, aesthetic/proportion/playability wise. Bandai looks just a little bit bulky and disproportionate compared to the yammy/archie.

Maybe down the line I'll get one of them Bandai badboys for the sake of it, just like most other Bandai valks that I got, but eventually sold due to their lack of playability. Oh well.

I feel the same way. Particularly the fighter mode feels too wide to me, like the legs are too short 

2 hours ago, dapro said:

I am worry to see what the shipping price are now from amiami. I got two set too!

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So glad I got one of mine through Amazon Japan. 1200yen shipping to the rescue.

2 hours ago, tjdetweiler said:

Couldn't agree more, I'm still waiting for AmiAmi on how much shipping for EMS.

CDjapan was 3700 yen, but that can change as well, just have to wait and see.....

Same, I have an order with AmiAmi as well, but recently (IIRC at least the last few months or longer) DHL has been the best way to have items shipped from them. It's worked out less expensive than EMS and DHL is insanely fast from Japan to the States.

I've only read about good things from Amazon.jp so I think for the next "hot" item I will give them a try.

HLJ shows my order in Processing so I'm hopeful to get the Private Warehouse purchase confirmation very soon.

-b.

3 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Wow, DX battroid looks beast mode compared to those other figs.

Anyone know specifically what the other two valks are (Arcadia/Yamato)?

Left - Bandai 1/72 model kit

Center - Bandai 1/48 DX toy

Right - Yamato 1/60 toy (Arcadia and Yamato are the same mold)

17 minutes ago, Saviant said:

I haven't had my notice about the VF-1J from HLJ yet, but a new gundam came out today so waiting for the VF-1J to see cost to ship together

What gundam came out today? 

Edited by Mac

People are so used to the Yamato V2 at this point they think that it represents what the VF-1 should look like in battroid mode. The truth was that the backpack was too low, the head too small, and the neck/head too high. That said, looking at previous battroid mode pictures... the neck does seem awfully small on the DX though some dynamic poses make it look a decent size... can't wait to see it in person! 

34 minutes ago, jenius said:

People are so used to the Yamato V2 at this point they think that it represents what the VF-1 should look like in battroid mode. The truth was that the backpack was too low, the head too small, and the neck/head too high. That said, looking at previous battroid mode pictures... the neck does seem awfully small on the DX though some dynamic poses make it look a decent size... can't wait to see it in person! 

Yamato V2 = iconic

Love the DX look of the battroid. It’s robot beefy like it looked in the anime. 

I thought a complaint about the yamarcadia was  the priest collar. DX no longer has that?

Looking forward to see more comparisons shots between the fighter modes. 

@jenius I’m looking forward to your review and lineart comparisons. :D

Edited by eggy99

15 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

Love the DX look of the battroid. It’s robot beefy like it looked in the anime. 

I thought a complaint about the yamarcadia was  the priest collar. DX no longer has that?

Looking forward to see more comparisons shots between the fighter modes. 

@jeniusI’m looking forward to your review and lineart comparisons. :lol:

Seems like Bandai's rinkydink solution for the "priest-collar issue" is to just remove the neck entirely...

:lol:

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So glad I got one of mine through Amazon Japan. 1200yen shipping to the rescue.

my friend on another discord discovered it first on amazon and i reposted it here. 

glad you were able to grab one on Amazon! yes, shipping is fast and dirt cheap. 

like Amazon with B&M stores in US, Amazon is taking over amiami and hlj for import business. 

i hope they don't run other import shops out of business.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Didn't even know the "priest collar" was even a thing till some peeps here started nitpicking about it. Never bothered me, and I much prefer it to the HMR solution which was to make the torso really long and freaky looking.

I'll wait till I have the DX in hand before coming to any conclusions on it, but so far the head and neck look even smaller than Yamato's, for those nitpicking about such things.

btw, for all ami-buyers that are not fully aware of their 12/19 notice just yet...

Dec 19, 2018

We will be closed from Dec. 30 (Sun) 2016 to Jan. 3 (Thu) 2018 for Japanese New Years Holiday.

Orders, payments and e-mails received during the above period will be responded to in the order they were received starting from January 4th, 2019.
We ask for your patience during this period as it may take a few days for us to respond to all communications.

Thank you again for shopping with AmiAmi.
We wish you a happy holiday season and a prosperous new year!

That's Japan-time, so it'll actually be Saturday in the US that they go on holiday.

I was hoping that they be doing their payment notification and processing by now instead of waiting tomorrow, but haven't gotten any email or site-update on my order from them.

Was actually wanting to cancel it, but am-j hasn't open up any new orders, yet.

So either check your accts and email regularly for Ami's stuff and hope they ship out your DX-1J right away, or wait another few days for the exchange-rate to improve. Currently 110.8jpy to US$1 as of this posting.

Anyway, fyi.

Edited by treatment
f0rm4tz

39 minutes ago, treatment said:

btw, for all ami-buyers that are not fully aware of their 12/19 notice just yet...

That's Japan-time, so it'll actually be Saturday in the US that they go on holiday.

I was hoping that they be doing their payment notification and processing by now instead of waiting tomorrow, but haven't gotten any email or site-update on my order from them.

Was actually wanting to cancel it, but am-j hasn't open up any new orders, yet.

So either check your accts and email regularly for Ami's stuff and hope they ship out your DX-1J right away, or wait another few days for the exchange-rate to improve. Currently 110.8jpy to US$1 as of this posting.

Anyway, fyi.

Noooooooooooooooooo

That was the order I wanted to ship. Hopefully they send out payment notices ASAP/before they close, but in case not I'm going to request shipping from HLJ now.

Thank you for the heads-up treatment!

-b.

*FYI - my cheapest shipping option from HLJ for (1) was $ 42.94 via FedEx, USPS/EMS was like $ 44 something. I paid about $9 more for DHL since it's faster and works better for my "schedule" next week

Edited by Kanedas Bike

7 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'm very impressed with HLJ, they got my order out with my ET Legioss same day. I may be able to get this review done in a timely fashion.

Edit : now what's up with KitzConcept...

Can't wait for your review! 

26 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Noooooooooooooooooo

That was the order I wanted to ship. Hopefully they send out payment notices ASAP/before they close, but in case not I'm going to request shipping from HLJ now.

Thank you for the heads-up treatment!

-b.

*FYI - my cheapest shipping option from HLJ for (1) was $ 42.94 via FedEx, USPS/EMS was like $ 44 something. I paid about $9 more for DHL since it's faster and works better for my "schedule" next week

-b, how many did you pre-order?B))

A magnificent bird.  And the comparison pics really show the shortcomings of the Yamato 1/48.  Although it is near and dear to my heart as the one that kicked off this toy collecting madness back in 2003 (the Low Viz, which I got back graded an AFA 90 after it traveled in a tattered box all the way from Japan with the corners missing, lol, one of only two at that grade), developments in toy engineering and design over the last two decades are obvious.  Bandai really knocked it out of the park.  Credits to "Macross Ross" from FB.

1 minute ago, jenius said:

The finish is so premium.

I really like the tampo printing and paint.  SOOOO many valks botch the paint job.  Slathered on too thick or too thin, too toy-like like a Yammie with no paint, or too model-like with overdone tampo prints.  I don't know if this is just the original Kawamori design, but the balance is perfect on this one.  It really shines through.  The goldilocks of paint jobs.