Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

The page on Arcadia is about to turn.  They will always have the distinction of the following:

Challeging engineering and daring to take on Bandai.  That took guts for a small company.

They then provided over a decade of dominance, knocking everyone else out. 

I believe it is Yamato/Arcadia that we can thank for the  renaissance we have seen in Valk toys

Competitors lost market share and had to compete, Valk toys began to be improved and dusted off everywhere at toy companies.  Macross came back, finally.

They introduced premium type molding: replacing paint with clear plastic, minimal but real world Tampo markings.

They introduced the matte finish that we all love and Bandai now emulates.

They set the standard for perfect transformation vs parts swapping, down to the very level of the heatshield being integrated.

They set the standard for a valk to also come with a painted removable pilot.  

Yamato Arcadia essentially established the scorecard that all future valks are measured against.  They are the standard, even when they are no longer the best, being the standard occupies more space then the best ever occupies.  The best is temporary.

I recognize that it hasn’t even been delivered and evaluated, but from what I see, if the joints hold, the DX VF-1 will be best in class.  Best in the class that Yamato and Arcadia built and established.

Edited by Ridden001

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, Slave IV said:

Little pilot, wrong landing gear...

Preorder cancelled!

Although it’s interesting what@David Hingtgen says about the opening sequence for reference. 

8A3ECBFD-0103-4E7A-A631-CC2ED23426D3.png.9f08d9e2bffe2f915e59e300c93b5266.png

Looks pretty horizontal there to me. 

But it is much further away from the door so...

Preorder cancelled!:D

::watches opening again::  Dang it, it is horizontal there.  ::animation error, cough::

Ironically, right after it's put down to launch (its designed purpose)---the very next camera-shift, as it actually launches--it's up again!  (fully up).  Obviously the launch-bar is really just there as a decoy to hide the secret, that the launch is actually done using protoculture...

2 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

::watches opening again::  Dang it, it is horizontal there.  ::animation error, cough::

Ironically, right after it's put down to launch (its designed purpose)---the very next camera-shift, as it actually launches--it's up again!  (fully up).  Obviously the launch-bar is really just there as a decoy to hide the secret, that the launch is actually done using protoculture...

Lol, I'm not too concerned with it either way. Of all the Valks I've ever owned, I've only ever displayed one on landing gears for any amount of time other than just to check it out for that moment. It's the equivalent of displaying action figures in a static, straight standing up pose to me. Maybe that will change if I ever get a diorama to display Valks taking off/landing.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Lol, I'm not too concerned with it either way. Of all the Valks I've ever owned, I've only ever displayed one on landing gears for any amount of time other than just to check it out for that moment. It's the equivalent of displaying action figures in a static, straight standing up pose to me. Maybe that will change if I ever get a diorama to display Valks taking off/landing.

Yeah, I could see doing it on a carrier deck, but apart from that always in-flight or in another mode.

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I'm the opposite, mine are mostly in fighter mode resting on landing gear,

3 hours ago, Graham said:

mine are mostly in fighter mode resting on landing gear

A lot of mine have to be displayed with landing gear deployed; it's a simple matter of real estate.

real_estate.thumb.jpg.229a7a1eb4e2cdb95fc4c3f93558db56.jpg

They take up more shelf space in fighter mode, but the ones in front have to be in fighter for the battroids at the back to be visible.

I wouldn't know how else to make it work.

Could use little risers to give them different standing heights, but that would also depend on how much space you have between shelves.

I only ever have a few valks out at any given time on display, but if I was going to put in display cases, I think I'd have everything standing vertically in fighter mode.  Opening the feet slightly, and balancing them that way always felt like a nice way to display them (except for certain exceptions like the YF-21/VF-22 and Sv-51, which have oddball feet that don't work for it very well).

55 minutes ago, Dirtyboy said:

From these pics, besides the pose ability I dont really say any major upgrades over the 1/48 Yamato VF1's.

We shall see in two months time. ;) 

I don’t own a Yamato 1/48 VF-1’s, but I can easily say that not having a tiny hands is already an upgrade to me. Not to mention moving individual fingers, waist joints, and how the head is flushed in Fighter mode. :rolleyes:

From Gwyn’s Twitter feed:

Edited by no3Ljm

25 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I’m not sure what major upgrades anyone can ever expect to see in any toy that is a VF-1. No matter what, it’s still going to look like a VF-1 unless it isn’t a VF-1. 

hmm.

how about the features/stuff that we all saw with the VF-1D/VF-1J/VF-1S in the old TV anime...

-- integrated rotating and elevating pilot-seat that can pop out the back of the head when in battroid instead of an add-on like in the 1/60v2. The 1/60 Zero, VF-19 and VF-22 valks have some limited rotating seats done already, tho not elevating.

-- actual swiveling/turning front landing gear.

-- spring-loaded firing missiles.

-- integrated side covers.

-- integrated collapsible fixing toolkit on the arm.

-- better looking detailed and well-proportioned pilot figure. both with and without helmet.

Edited by treatment

7 hours ago, Dirtyboy said:

From these pics, besides the pose ability I dont really say any major upgrades over the 1/48 Yamato VF1's.

Are you counting waist swivel under posability? That seems pretty major in my opinion.

I don’t own any Yamato 1/48, but it appears to me that lots of small upgrades (better sculpt, larger hands, articulated head lasers, etc) can add up to make this a “major” upgrade overall.

+1 to the integrated toolkit suggestion!

Add 2 twin hooks at the legs for carrier landings in fighter mode too!

and pop out seats would be awesome...bandai....cmon! Or do we need to call FEXTHOBBY in....

Lastly, i would like to add swap-able visors between white and grey, you know, for when the 1J needs to put on his "suit"...

Edited by seti88

2 hours ago, treatment said:

hmm.

how about the features/stuff that we all saw with the VF-1D/VF-1J/VF-1S in the old TV anime...

-- integrated rotating and elevating pilot-seat that can pop out the back of the head when in battroid instead of an add-on like in the 1/60v2. The 1/60 Zero, VF-19 and VF-22 valks have some limited rotating seats done already, tho not elevating.

-- better looking detailed and well-proportioned pilot figure. both with and without helmet.

All these would be cool. I guess it depends on what you consider "major" upgrades. To me, that would be a self transforming, flying toy that looks as good as the current offerings.:D

10 hours ago, Dirtyboy said:

I myself is on the fence on this, will probably wait out reviews & if all are A-OK's, will get one on the next release. But seems like the major upgrades are :

- Articulations 

(1) waist joint to rotate upper body (new detachable swingbar mechanism to achieve it).

(2) fingers joints

(3) headlasers joints.

- Cosmetics

(1) integrated top "shoulder" covers (flips to close the holes on top/front of the chest).

(2) lots of tampo prints.

(3) head sits flusher in fighter mode.

Anything else?

Edited by aaajin

22 minutes ago, jenius said:

I think the big thing a company needs to figure out is the pelvic thrust and/or back hunch.

I want to see a backpack that slides forward in Gerwalk mode. And maybe a longer whatever-it's-called that sticks out the bottom of the backpack. 

3 hours ago, treatment said:

hmm.

All of this will be incorporated on Version 10. ;)

1 minute ago, danth said:

I want to see a backpack that slides forward in Gerwalk mode. And maybe a longer whatever-it's-called that sticks out the bottom of the backpack. 

Wouldn't hurt to have that 'grill mesh' too. ^_^

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Which version will be the first to include that elusive “anime magic”? 

That tends to involve faux parts so I think I'd pass on that version. The engineer in me dominates the Creative so it seems like cheating :D

I'm also not keen on the idea of the rotating seat since that can leave gaps in the cockpit for fighter mode. I prefer a nice looking fighter mode to a gimmick I'd use once and then forget about.

Even the V2 VF-1 is a major upgrade to the old 1/48, so I don't understand why people will deny it unless you are looking things in terms of size only.

The tooling, fitment, proportion in scale, surface details, materials, paint job, additional joints are the reason it's a successor. 

I'm sure Bandai will do better, yet, from the pictures we have seen up to date.

The HMR also pointed out the lineart inaccuracy of the wing length while in Battroid mode....including the short wing swappable part.

So perhaps some future VF-1 release may deliver on adjustable wing lengths without part-swapping.

BTW....has there been any indication that the fuselage on the DX -1J is removable and mountable onto another VF-1's arm?  Guess that would be a step backwards in terms of gimmicks. :unknw:

What about the radome coming off?  Have we seen any shots of the new DX being able to do that?  Personally, that gimmick didn't interest me in the slightest, but if you're going to redo a 1/48, I'd have thought that would easily get re-used.

14 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

BTW....has there been any indication that the fuselage on the DX -1J is removable and mountable onto another VF-1's arm?  Guess that would be a step backwards in terms of gimmicks. :unknw:

1 minute ago, mickyg said:

What about the radome coming off?  Have we seen any shots of the new DX being able to do that?  Personally, that gimmick didn't interest me in the slightest, but if you're going to redo a 1/48, I'd have thought that would easily get re-used.

Omitting both of those are steps forward in my opinion. I could also live without the moving flaps. I found all of those gimmicks to be more of a nuisance than anything.