Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 minute ago, derex3592 said:

IF Bandai wants to lock in the long term game, it will drop a new 1:48 VF-1D on us next year after a couple of repaints of the single seaters! I'll be in pre-order hell for that REAL damn quick, because it's never been done.

Amen to that. I’ll order multiple copies if this happens lol. 

56 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

IF Bandai wants to lock in the long term game, it will drop a new 1:48 VF-1D on us next year after a couple of repaints of the single seaters! I'll be in pre-order hell for that REAL damn quick, because it's never been done.

This! B))

2 minutes ago, F360 said:

probably because there's only 1 standard release item up for preorder this morning.

The rest were tamashii web exclusive 

They screwed those up too. The Metal Build P Bandai "sold out" within a minute or two, despite the P Bandai website still accepting orders even now.

5 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

They screwed those up too. The Metal Build P Bandai "sold out" within a minute or two, despite the P Bandai website still accepting orders even now.

yeah, it's similar to what they did with Metal Composite Wing zero and the Metal Build Astraea Type-F.

Both were sold out in around a minute on their site, and when release, many for sale at Mark up prices.

23 minutes ago, F360 said:

yeah, it's similar to what they did with Metal Composite Wing zero and the Metal Build Astraea Type-F.

Both were sold out in around a minute on their site, and when release, many for sale at Mark up prices.

Those were regular release. This is the only time I've ever seen a P Bandai/Tamashii-exclusive sell out.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Those were regular release. This is the only time I've ever seen a P Bandai/Tamashii-exclusive sell out.

They probably wanted to avoid another the 31A episode..

31 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

What's the release date on this thing anyways? 

Its December. Exact dates normally will be updated, nearer to the release month at the link below;
For details like release dates and drool worthy pictures, all macross merch related info can be found  at http://tamashii.jp/item_character/macross_series/

11 minutes ago, orbitalharvest said:

drool...

You need to track down one of @jvmacross hankies! :p

Actually, come to think of it, i wouldn't risk drooling on those pristine and well taken care of hankies! Apologies to @jvmacross!:D

Edited by seti88

40 minutes ago, seti88 said:

They probably wanted to avoid another the 31A episode..

Its December. Exact dates normally will be updated, nearer to the release month at the link below;
For details like release dates and drool worthy pictures, all macross merch related info can be found  at http://tamashii.jp/item_character/macross_series/

You need to track down one of @jvmacross hankies! :p

Actually, come to think of it, i wouldn't risk drooling on those pristine and well taken care of hankies! Apologies to @jvmacross!:D

yes, i always drool at a safe distance...

18 hours ago, jvmacross said:

No, that's the whole point.  The position was that only via competition can we get innovation and without it we will somehow get awful Macross toys.  For the most part this is true in most industries.  However, we are dealing with an ultra niche commodity in Macross PT Toys.  Yamato's own innovations, done without any competative pressures, throws this position out the proverbial window.  Yamato has shown that great PT Macross toys are possible without any direct competition.  As for Bandai, it did not "wake up" due to Yamato....it woke up due to there being a new TV show (MF) that would maximize visibility to any potential merchandise, including PT VFs, for maximum profitability potential.  Bandai paid for the show's sponsorship and licenses due to it finally being a profitable means to start making Macross again.  Bandai will be fully capable of producing great Macross PT toys without any direct competition as well. 

Well that's too bad, because there were plenty of other spin offs in the 90's where Bandai had the chance to show its technical prowess and never did.  The clunky VF-17's come to mind.  A product most definitely not connected to the original Macross, but a cartoon spinoff a decade later.  Why they would have suddenly decided to up their game in the 2000's with a new show when they never did back in the day one can only wonder.  Yamato perhaps?  

And you have to divorce yourself from strictly puritan logic and allow for some exceptions here and there.  Of course Yamato didn't need the competition to start the game because it's clear they did this for the love of it with the 1/48's.  My position is not that every toy producer needs competition to make good products, but that the general proposition that competition is good for the industry is exemplified in this case by Bandai's products in the 2000's v. the 90's after Yamato entered the game.  And it's especially good in Bandai's case given its proclivity to produce forgettable throwaway toys in the absence of any real competition.

Edited by MacrossMania

12 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Exact sentiment, I don't think any Macross fans can resist... by one minute sold out or less... lol

I am a bit curious though how they can put in the GBP in the current design. 

Congrats on everyone that got a preorder. Condolences to the ones that didn't.. Wow I'm exhausted just reading the last 10 pages of PO madness. I bet there's some sprained index fingers with F5. So looks like the priest collar is still there but less pronounced than Arcadia. ..Everything else looks good. I guess the only engineering left to do on a VF toy would be retractable wings & eliminate the swing bar.(was personally hoping for no swing bar & copying the 1/72 model kit)....Will try to pick one up in December.

2 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

Well that's too bad, because there were plenty of other spin offs in the 90's where Bandai had the chance to show its technical prowess and never did.  The clunky VF-17's come to mind.  A product most definitely not connected to the original Macross, but a cartoon spinoff a decade later.  Why they would have suddenly decided to up their game in the 2000's with a new show when they never did back in the day one can only wonder.  Yamato perhaps?  

And you have to divorce yourself from strictly puritan logic and allow for some exceptions here and there.  Of course Yamato didn't need the competition to start the game because it's clear they did this for the love of it with the 1/48's.  My position is not that every toy producer needs competition to make good products, but that the general proposition that competition is good for the industry is exemplified in this case by Bandai's products in the 2000's v. the 90's after Yamato entered the game.  And it's especially good in Bandai's case given its proclivity to produce forgettable throwaway toys in the absence of any real competition.

Well....if you are now conceding that Yamato was able to innovate in the absence of any competition....then I guess there is not much else to add....congrats!

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Well....if you are now conceding that Yamato was able to innovate in the absence of any competition....then I guess there is not much else to add....congrats!

You’re looking at it backwards.  Bandai made bad Macross toys for over twenty years.  Yamato was the competition that came in and outdid them.  Even still Bandai made terrible VF-25’s. It was only because Yamato/Arcadia were persistent competion for so long who showed it could be done better that Bandai finally figured out they had to compete in terms of lineart accuracy and quality.  In terms of precisely the same Valk they only danced around each other until the 19 series, but they were always competitors.

Let's remember... There were others....

IIRC, Wave and other studios had versions of VF-1 toys in Magazines. They were expensive and or very hard to build. I think perhaps the Yamato founders were inspired by this, to create their own. Later on, Bandai's interest was renewed in part by Yamato's efforts, and due to the ongoing Macross series they had contracted. I recall finally getting the original chunkey monkeys when Bandai re-released them. This is while Yamato was getting hot/popular.

The first time i held my first Bandai 1/100 HM Hikaru 1J, it made me think of a shrunken 1/48 or a 1/60 V2[double elbows]. Am I the only one who felt a connection? 

Well the market certainly changed a lot in last decade and Bandai had to change too.  Their toys were usually kid friendly and we see those in their old VF-19 and DXv1 VF-25.  But the market were already shifted to deep pocket adult collectors by then and Bandai were slow to react.  They tried to draw new young kids with Gundam Age but that toy line failed big time.

Macross license were also known to to be expensive and Bandai preferred to avoid making things that they don't own.  Now they are going big with Star Wars and Marvel stuff, which no doubt have very high license cost.

3 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I hope Bandai cranks out as many 1/48 variants as Yamato did. Would be excited for CF schemes like the low viz limited

5C07E145-0C16-4F00-8DF9-145764B8FE34.jpeg

Yes, Yes and more Yes!!!!!!!! 

I'm not made of money but I'd get three of these instantly. B))

9 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I was surprised to see "SAL Small Packet" available as a shipping option for this. I wonder what size the box will be. :unknw:

From the photos, it looks like just a bit bigger and wider than the dx vf-31 box.   So if you choose SAL small packet, it might exceed the 90cm all around restriction