YF-25 Prophecy Paladin project

Jasonc

Hey all. So, I was able to start on converting a Bandai DX YF-25 Prophecy into the Paladin version. I have the set from the WF kit that was done by Frameout a few years ago, and with me now being done on a project, have begun taking the super and armor parts of extra sets, and being able to use them for the kit. As I was not completely happy with the Frameout kit (not the best resin for a heavy lance), and parts that seemed to fit a little loose, I started 3D printing my own parts. They look similar to the original parts, but have differences in measurements and fits that IMO, make it slightly better. I've also used a sturdier resin that can hold up to the lance being the largest and heaviest part. So I hope I can make a version of this kit. It shouldn't be too difficult, and hopefully as I work on my build here, if anyone is interested in a set, send me a message. I may put up an interest thread later, but I can at least start to see if it's worth it. 

Anyways, without further ado, the project has begun.20171126_011911.thumb.jpg.3fdaeb6ec16fee91478620f6e6e1947c.jpg

20171126_011944.thumb.jpg.89e12483a11780741b13afb3098f7d07.jpg

2 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Awesome project, add me on the list! My main grippe about the Prophecy is the weird shape of the dual seat canopy, is it something that you can do?

I probably could, but it wasn't on my list of things to do with the the set. So far, I've managed to do all of the lance, and most of the face parts, save for the visor.

31 minutes ago, valhary said:

add me at the list too!!!!!!!

this is what we need more macross the ride stuff:lol:

Will do, and yes, I agree that we need more MtR stuff. I'm a huge fan of the custom work they did. I've got several of the pieces done, and once I'm finished, if I can get enough orders for it, I'll begin recasting the pieces. I'll need to figure out what I'm going to do with the clear visor, but once I get it all put together, I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, valhary said:

I can't wait to see the progress:D

Progress is going very slowly as of late. The reasoning is mostly due to recasting parts I've made and have tested out. After priming the parts and smoothing them out, a few pieces are now ready for recasting. there isn't much difference between the original parts and the redesigned parts, but what is redone works quite well. there is only knee connector for the left thigh guard that is a complete redesign, and it works great, but due to the way it is made, it will need to be ordered via Shapeways. Other than that, I'll be recasting a few sets of the redesign while working on my own stuff. I'll probably have a couple pics of the redesign parts soon.

• 2 weeks later...

For the lance to set on top in fighter mode, the original kit came with a piece that allows it to snap in that upper back part, but the way it is designed isn't to my liking. I am working on a way to make it slightly thicker so that I can either have it attach via magnets, or by some slim 1 - 1.5mm pins. With magnets, I can hide them, but I'll need to search and see what type of design I can use to optimize it for. If not, pins will be what is used.

As for the fast packs, covering those parts is easy, and shouldn't bee too much trouble, but my biggest concern is taking off the tampo printed markings that are on it now. it's not the think one really wants to do, and they don't come off easy, but I haven't tried a good method yet. Maybe thinner? I have decals to replace them.

1 hour ago, valhary said:

unseal seems to be inevitable but maybe stickers with white background make easier the job 

I just make the Hakuna VF 1x++ in vinyl glow and not look bad

I gotta see that. 

I used a little thinner on the shield, and bad mistake. Not the worst, but the best action is to just lightly sand it off, then used a liquid buffer, or a nail buffing pad. It worked out just fine that way. I will start this on the wings tomorrow.

On 12/24/2017 at 1:41 PM, valhary said:

This will be epic I hope you upload all the process:D

I will. I'll try to do it during the week.

I've spent the better part of 4 months tweaking the angles and measurements of the front head glass just to get it where it is now. I'm quite happy to say that it now fits and works as it should. Dome may ask why I'm recasting it, instead of just putting it up on Shapeways.  Well for one, you can never get this clarity in any shapeways print work. This allows me to continually recast them and not have to spend a fortune getting any sort of frosted xtreme detail parts made. Plus, FXD is extremely brittle. The idea is to have you guys not have to buy anything from shapeways, with the exception of 1 part that I simply cannot recast due to the complex design. In any case, this is an actual recast part, and you can see how clear it is. I'm very happy with this.

20171226_165211.thumb.jpg.e97f84b02c272bf90c771401a0825394.jpg

I'm going to keep it clear. The reasoning is that I don't mix enough clear resin to put any pigment in. Pigment messes with the integrity of the plastic, and because I use such a low amount each recast, I don't want to make it soft. Clear resin already is kinda flexible.

• 2 weeks later...

K guys, I have some updates for the set I created. It is finished and I have started recasting parts. If you are interested in a set, I am selling the set for $45. This will include all the parts specific tot he Paladin set. These are parts that I have designed, with small changes, but overall, can be interchangeable with the original set (if any of you have it). There is one part that I did not recast because I simply can't, but can be found on Shapeways. I did redesign another knee joint that looks like the original piece, so I can add that as well for the option. In any case, the set is done, and recasts of the original printed parts are being made now. If you want a set, send me a pm. Shipping should be very low, as the parts are light. I will also scan a copy of the instructions here, so that everyone can see how the parts are to be put together. I have enough for about 15 sets max, and after that, I'm not making anymore of them unless there's a large demand after, which I doubt.

20180104_184244.thumb.jpg.0b791eeab8a54e4293936cbbcb94b902.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In working on the parts, I realized that the lance being mounted on the top of the fighter isn't designed to hold without any glue. Because of this, I have spent some time redoing the top part of the lance and the backpack harness so that it can hold for both modes. you'll notice there are some indents on the harness, and on the lance piece that connects. I have designed some guides on the harness, as well as indents for 1mm x 3mm magnets to be placed inside it, as well as two 2mm thick steel rods to go in the lance piece that will help keep it down. I don't know how strong it will be, but if all works out, it might be able to provide some swooshing in fighter.

I also made two different sized steel harnesses on two different lance pieces. I will try both, and whichever one is better, I'll obviously use that. I was about to send out a set to someone, but after dry fitting them, I was just really unhappy that the original set had two little nubs smaller than 1mm to hold the entire thing. It wasn't designed to hold properly, so let's hope this works better and I hope this design will be worth it for you all who want this.

5a67e886dc76e_lancemechanicsforfighter1.JPG.778fa43ecd079feb4db2aa04fe0ca441.JPG

5a67e8937bfa0_lancemechanicsforfighter2.JPG.52569a67de028704a82da1fb99d0fc3f.JPG

5a67e89c406cd_lancemechanicsforfighter3.JPG.18a79a7c4dcd74b5567b9f25b472d271.JPG

Edited by Jasonc

27 minutes ago, valhary said:

looks promising!

the biggest problem with macross the ride valks are based in model kits and not always easy adapt to work correctly in a transformable toy

Exactly. I think they took some of what they did for the model kit, and just didn't care about the adaptability in a toy that transforms. In any case, this will hopefully fix it, and with two tiny magnets, along with the support structure, provide what's needed. I think it'll work and if it does, these will be included with the magnets for people buying it if they so wish to use the new structures I've made that are, well, vastly different than the original redesigns.

On another note, the way I designed the entire set can't be made in WSF premium due to the small supports that I made to attach all the parts together. However, it looks like Extreme Detail passed A-OK.

I'm going to be recasting parts, so crucial parts have been enlarged to account for resin shrinkage, but using fxd will save on cleanup, and the resin will make these pretty solid pieces.

I do need to keep in consideration once I makeparts for a store though. It's why I tried to order two material versions. I'll readjust the model for way premium.

Edited by Jasonc

• 2 weeks later...

Last piece to produce and recast is in the process of mold making, and once that's done, I'll be sending out kits. If you're interested in a kit, pm me, and I can send one out. I've only made 5, and that might be all I make, so if you're interested, let me know.

I don't know if I put the price out for the kit, but it is everything needed for the Paladin parts only. I will have another knee part available for sale on Shapeways, and here's the link... https://www.shapeways.com/product/F5XJ55ENM/paladin-knee-fix?key=c91eefab72da950120309da379cf8a03 I will be sending out in the kit all optional parts, including parts that appear like the original offerings from Frameout. The set is $50. I'll probably add a for sale thread in the for sale section, but this is my trial and error ramblings as I move along.

Just as I typed this, I came home today, to see the parts I designed sitting on my doorstep. I made an attempt to put the two pieces together to see how well the part that is attached to the lance would hold on the harness, and it is a perfect fit. I'm still going to put in magnets and the 2 2mm steel rods in both pieces for extra security, but they are not needed. I do need to adjust the ball that holds to the armor piece, as the ball is slightly too big and a little high. Other than that, the pieces are looking pretty good. The new lance connection pieces are already on a piece of clay for molds, so those will be done this weekend as well. I'm really happy with how the new pieces look.