Awesome 3D Printed Snap Tite SDF-1 1:1200 scale

Knight26

2 hours ago, Neoculture said:

Nice!  Will you be making the STL files available? I'm currently gearing up to print the original in 1/250 scale... should be ~4m in length when done.  ^_^

It's on Thingiverse now, check the first post.

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 11:43 AM, LSWONE said:

A little more progress to share. Slowly getting more familiar with removing areas from existing parts to allow the repositioning into robot form.

A3D7CE3C-D53D-4FEE-A9DD-BDB3BDDA9083.thumb.jpeg.934f578e5a7924770c377ce538f96da2.jpeg

Have you made any further progress on this beauty?

6 hours ago, captain america said:

Cool idea, but a hand molded-cast series of parts will yield far nicer parts in the end. Just saying.

You're absolutely correct! But...

Give it 5 years and the quality of the prints will increase and the cost will decrease. Eventually, we'll be able to cheaply print these (and other models) with incredible resolution and in any color and finish. It's been the trend of any technology adoption to follow this trend of increasing quality and decreasing cost.

3 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

Give it 5 years and the quality of the prints will increase and the cost will decrease.

The quality of the prints isn't gonna make much difference with such a poor 3D model to work from.  The whole point of a larger, more expensive model is to provide greater detail and accuracy, but subpar modeling like this defeats the whole purpose.

I mean, despite how much fans complain about Hasegawa's 1:4000 kit, look how much more detailed and accurate the parts are:

424031565_hasegawaTVbridge.thumb.jpg.eb6e2c5dad8bad812c7c9727b99cc630.jpg

A model ten times larger should therefore be ten times MORE detailed, not ten times LESS.

That Thingiverse model isn't worth the time or the effort to print, much less the cost of the filament.  <_<

Edited by tekering

13 hours ago, tekering said:

The quality of the prints isn't gonna make much difference with such a poor 3D model to work from.  The whole point of a larger, more expensive model is to provide greater detail and accuracy, but subpar modeling like this defeats the whole purpose.

I mean, despite how much fans complain about Hasegawa's 1:4000 kit, look how much more detailed and accurate the parts are:

A model ten times larger should therefore be ten times MORE detailed, not ten times LESS.

That Thingiverse model isn't worth the time or the effort to print, much less the cost of the filament.  <_<

You're absolutely correct about the poor 3D model. I missed the point of The Capn's post.

I was commenting purely on the potential that 3D printing still yields for the future.

The Cap should show us, not tell us, just how great a hand molded-cast series of parts would be! An SDF-1 mastered by Mr. Cap'n would be amazing. We can all dream, can't we?

I missed the point of The Capn's post.

No, he's talking about the process, and you're right -- the technology continues to improve rapidly.  Look at what EXO's capable of these days!

DRtHf3ZV4AAcNt7.jpg

I was merely taking the opportunity to critique the Thingiverse model, which (surprisingly) nobody else had commented on.

An SDF-1 mastered by Mr. Cap'n would be amazing.

Yes, but it would also be a tremendous waste of time and talent.  Our erstwhile Cap has a gift for finding the gaps in our collections -- enemy mecha, spaceships, weapons and accessory packs -- and making the stuff that other companies don't.  That's where the demand is.  The SDF-1 has been done, and done, and done again, and will be done again in the future...

Hopefully, with a much more accurate 3D model we can print ourselves.  ;)