Consolidated Megazone 23 Toy/Model Thread for 2017-2018

RavenHawk

If the mods want to delete this thread, due to the separate ones, then I understand. At the moment, there look to be about 4 or 5 threads on various Megazone 23 products in the first few pages here.

Since there are so many different items coming out this year and next, I figure that it might be helpful to have a single thread to keep them all straight, and to compare/contrast.

We have:

- Arcadia 1/24

(thread at

)

- Freeing 1/20

(thread at

)

- Fewture 1/20... or 1/15... unclear

(thread at

- The old Yamato, which can be great for comparison, 1/15 (rider was closer to 1/18)

(thread at

)

- Aoshima also made a 1/24 model (no recently active thread on that)

So, here is how things look to me:

Arcadia:

1/24 "die cast model".

The big deal to this one, in my opinion, is that they have shown prototypes of Hagans and Proto Garland (at Wonderfest in 2016, and updated in 2017). So, while this one looks largely like a scaled-down Yamato, it might be worth getting if it is going to be part of a full in-scale line of Megazone 23 products. They have also more recently revealed an add-on strike Garland pack (shields and weapons that add on to make it look like the Strike Garland).

Price: 25,800 at HLJ for Garland,

24,510 at CDJ, 

23,994 at A-E,

25,300 for the Garland; 64,584 for the blue and white version; 25,704 for the Strike Parts; all at AmiAmi (the latter two appearing to be incentives from the Kickstarter for the new anime); 

Release: 12/2017

Freeing:

1/20 scale

This one wins on robot mode, but the bike mode looks a little crushed together. The video that they put out showing the transformation of this thing looks, in my opinion, terrible. Just way way WAY too finicky. On the other hand, it's an E=X Garland, and I've wanted one since I first saw Megazone 23 Part III, and never thought we'd get one. The figure that comes with it looks kind of cool.

Price: 26,213 on HLJ,

24,834 on CDJ,

23,460 on A-E;

Release: 02/2018

Fewture:

1/20, though it seems closer to 1/15 in robot mode

Looks similar to the Yamato, but with more elongation and sharp points. Maybe a little artistic license taken to make it look more dynamic. The paint job definitely looks less plastic and more paint, with a darker color than I think we've seen before. It does look detailed, though the figure that comes with it looks a little iffy.

Price: 39,800 on HLJ.

39,800 on CDJ,

37,810 on A-E;

Release: 04/2018

So, what are everyone's thoughts, looking at all of these together?

The Fewture looks detailed, but I'm not a fan of the paint, and the pricing is just way way too high for my tastes.

The Freeing looks cool, but finicky. Tempted to get it due to no other E=X figures being out there, but not sure what you're getting justifies the price.

To me, the Arcadia is the only one I'm seriously considering. The pricing is a little more reasonable, but still up there, so I'm on the fence. On the other hand, if this does become a larger line, with multiple versions of the Garland, plus Harguns, maybe cheaper strike packs down the road, and if they have a deal to make figures for the new anime (which may be the case, looking at the Kickstarter incentives), then I know I'm going to be kicking myself later if I don't get this one.

7 minutes ago, tekering said:

I've already pre-ordered the Arcadia.  If they're looking to expand their line with other MZ23 product, we've gotta show our support up front! 

Out of curiosity, which site did you choose? I currently have pre-orders open on MOSPEADA products at HLJ and BBTS.

19 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i remember this from Robotech the movie.

That's ironic.  MegaZone 23 has been widely distributed on videotape, laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray, and has been a fan favorite worldwide for decades.

Robotech: The Movie was a collosal failure, with very limited theatrical distribution and an even more limited VHS release.  Where did you even see it?

4 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Out of curiosity, which site did you choose?

Amazon.jp, of course!  

Free shipping, and all that.  B))

Hands down the Arcadia version is the one I'm focusing on the most. The possibility of them furthering the line up with the likes of Hargan and Proto versions had me sold right away. The strike accessories are just a great touch!

Still if I get around to it that Fewture version is a beaut! 

I've a few of the Aoshima kits here so look forward to seeing a sturdier toy line up.

2 hours ago, daBlah! said:

Hands down the Arcadia version is the one I'm focusing on the most. The possibility of them furthering the line up with the likes of Hargan and Proto versions had me sold right away. The strike accessories are just a great touch!

Still if I get around to it that Fewture version is a beaut! 

I've a few of the Aoshima kits here so look forward to seeing a sturdier toy line up.

I don't have any of the Aoshima Megazone kits, though I do have some of the MOSPEADA and BGC ones. The Megazone ones just didn't look like they'd scale with anything else that I own.

Well, I went and pulled the trigger on the new Arcadia Garland (the regular one; not the $600 blue and white one, or the $250 strike parts). I'm hoping that this does lead to a full line.

I've tried to keep things where they make nice sets. My Yamato Garlands (a Factory Color one and two Proto Garlands, since Yamato sent me a whole new one when the shoulder went on my first one) scale nicely with the Yamato MotoSlaves and the CMs ride armors. Here's hoping that Arcadia keeps the line going...

I'm probably in for an Arcadia Garland if the reviews are good, though I may end up waiting for the Proto Garland since I like the design way more. I'm still on the fence about the Freeing E=X, I love the design but man that transformation video really didn't help me want to buy it. Then there's the possibility that Arcadia may do an E=X, maybe I'll just wait it out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/09/08/arcadia-talks-about-how-it-makes-the-best-macross-and-megazone-23-toys-out-there/#2d7d8b78e974

“The other big intention with this new Garland toy was for it to be the start of a series of Megazone 23 related toys. This meant collectability would need to be a big part of its overall design. The smaller size is also part of this, as it makes collecting more attractive as it is less bulky.”

It really seems that this new line of Megazone 23 toys could be quite comprehensive, as Kanke explains.

“To give you an idea of what we are planning, we also want to do the Hargun and its transporter from the first Megazone 23. We also already have a prototype for the Proto Garland toy from Megazone 23 Part II. When it comes to doing toys from Megazone 23 Part III, there maybe one or more but we shall have to see how this first Garland toy does. I hope that if everything goes well we can also do the mecha from Megazone 23 Part III.

“So if this series of Megazone 23 toys continues to sell, then we might even look into making the Original Garland as shown in Megazone 23 Part III but that really depends on how the earlier toys do.

“Currently, we are only looking up to the Hargun in terms of the engineering and design planning. That means we are trying to realize the toy as it is set out in the original anime. In that, the Hargun comes in two parts; the bike and the legs that combine with it. So this is why we are doing the transporter, as that's where the leg parts are stored.”

22 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

"...the Hargun comes in two parts; the bike and the legs that combine with it. So this is why we are doing the transporter, as that's where the leg parts are stored.”

Let's make it happen, guys!

hargun2.jpghgv.jpghargun1.jpg

C5A0vY7UEAAJzVq.jpg

at_07.jpg

And not in LEGO.  :p

22 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Are you in Japan?

20 years and counting!  B))

Edited by tekering

On 11/21/2017 at 1:25 AM, tekering said:

That's ironic.  MegaZone 23 has been widely distributed on videotape, laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray, and has been a fan favorite worldwide for decades.

Robotech: The Movie was a collosal failure, with very limited theatrical distribution and an even more limited VHS release.  Where did you even see it?

this is a funny story, but back in the 80's, one of the few and only sources on anime in the US was through U.S. Renditions releasing them through Books Nippon retailer.  all other anime had to be a bootlegged VHS copies. there was no internet so no mail order back then to import stuff unless you had Japanese contacts. 

i wanted to see macross the movie and brought it from some guy working in a Japanese mall called Yohan. ends up being this. lol

i was like, what is this? but i guess i'm glad i got exposed to this back then.   

10 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

this is a funny story, but back in the 80's, one of the few and only sources on anime in the US was through U.S. Renditions releasing them through Books Nippon retailer.  all other anime had to be a bootlegged VHS copies. there was no internet so no mail order back then to import stuff unless you had Japanese contacts. 

i wanted to see macross the movie and brought it from some guy working in a Japanese mall called Yohan. ends up being this. lol

i was like, what is this? but i guess i'm glad i got exposed to this back then.   

There were some mail order shops that had adds in some random sci-for magazine. One magazine (forgot which one) had classified adds in the back. One add was a shop selling Japanese anime and other stuff of course with no subs. And unfortunately Japanese prices ( like $100 for a VHS tape).

I had to mail them for a catalogue for like a buck or two. Waited a month and got a 5 page printout single spaced of their list of tapes. The list only had the name of the show and price - no description or picture. 

Even though the titles alone were fascinating to me at the time. They all sounded cool. Never did buy from him but The "catalogue" did end useful as a resource to look up anime.

• 2 weeks later...

What is Arcadia smoking? Saw the Strike Garland, thought....I don't really buy toys much anymore but must have! Was clicking through the ordering process and realized it was nearly $600 USD....oh and the Strike Parts aren't even included. Those are another $200+. So ~$800 for white paint and some cheap plastic weapons!?!?

Have they just lost their minds? The Japanese economy isn't exactly skyrocketing right now. This is so exploitative I honestly don't know if I can support anything else they make in the future. Please don't post the link to Mr. K. explaining why Arcadia is so much more on pricing than Yamato; because this is just completely nuts and insane for a flimsy, mostly plastic toy.

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Griffon said:

What is Arcadia smoking? Saw the Strike Garland, thought....I don't really buy toys much anymore but must have! Was clicking through the ordering process and realized it was nearly $600 USD....oh and the Strike Parts aren't even included. Those are another $200+. So ~$800 for white paint and some cheap plastic weapons!?!?

Have they just lost their minds? The Japanese economy isn't exactly skyrocketing right now. This is so exploitative I honestly don't know if I can support anything else they make in the future. Please don't post the link to Mr. K. explaining why Arcadia is so much more on pricing than Yamato; because this is just completely nuts and insane for a flimsy, mostly plastic toy.

My first reaction (and what another poster had suggested, I think in a different thread) was that these are incentives from the crowdfunding campaign for the new Megazone series, and you're basically just paying those crowdfunding upper-tier funder amounts (where, even in the crowdfunding campaign, the Arcadia guys were apologizing for the high prices, due to low volumes)... but, seeing that the numbers of funders for those tiers don't seem to add up to enough for these ones, I don't know...

Also, AmiAmi seems to be the only one offering them.

Maybe Arcadia went ahead and made a batch, assuming that it would get funded, and then AmiAmi negotiated to buy them off of them, assuming they could sell at these prices due to the collectability?

• 2 weeks later...

Patiently waiting now to hear when the Arcadia versions I've bought will be shipping.

Wondering with the recolored attack Garland being released is there a chance for the other Garlands the project has could be up for release? Fond of the styling since it's very close to the Garland we know.

e664d877-9bf4-4577-b41f-50aaa3cb36e2.jpg

562b9db7-5fbf-4245-871e-edd1f13c7a52.jpg

50ecc1e8-6afe-4346-ada5-9b0081fd7f9b.jpg

6 hours ago, daBlah! said:

Patiently waiting now to hear when the Arcadia versions I've bought will be shipping.

Wondering with the recolored attack Garland being released is there a chance for the other Garlands the project has could be up for release? Fond of the styling since it's very close to the Garland we know.

e664d877-9bf4-4577-b41f-50aaa3cb36e2.jpg

562b9db7-5fbf-4245-871e-edd1f13c7a52.jpg

50ecc1e8-6afe-4346-ada5-9b0081fd7f9b.jpg

I'm actuallt getting surprisinly excited for the Arcadia release as time goes by. Still no word on an exact date that I know of.

Definitely want to see a lot of different versions of the Garland and different other related mecha.

After looking at my order list on HLJ... Updated release date for the Arcadia Garland is shown as March 2018!?? Hoping this is a missprint and things haven't been pushed back was looking forward to it soon... :wacko:

Looks like this is true found a tweet which translated to this:

"Notice to you Customers concerning "1/24 Die Cast Model Garland" scheduled to be released this December For the improvement of the quality of products, we are deeply concerned but postponed the release to "March 2018" I am sorry truly that the announcement which became the thing to be done became the point just before."

https://twitter.com/ARCADIA_Co_Ltd/status/943004220441030656?s=17

Edited by daBlah!
Updated some information from twitter

2 hours ago, daBlah! said:

After looking at my order list on HLJ... Updated release date for the Arcadia Garland is shown as March 2018!?? Hoping this is a missprint and things haven't been pushed back was looking forward to it soon... :wacko:

Looks like this is true found a tweet which translated to this:

"Notice to you Customers concerning "1/24 Die Cast Model Garland" scheduled to be released this December For the improvement of the quality of products, we are deeply concerned but postponed the release to "March 2018" I am sorry truly that the announcement which became the thing to be done became the point just before."

https://twitter.com/ARCADIA_Co_Ltd/status/943004220441030656?s=17

The 1st upside:

In addition to the usual Google translate, Twitter now has a built in translator, which translated it as:

"Notice: your dear, this month December to be launched was "1/24 Diecast model Garland", and for improving the quality of the product in very sorry us to extend to the "3/2018" release now. That announcement was the verge of truly sorry."

The 2nd upside:

Hopefully this means we'll get a quality toy (I'm looking at you, Evolution Toys...). Still, Action Toys did a similar delay for Bike Robo not too long ago, and the final product was still just kind of ok.

The 1st downside:

I had my two ride armor Aoshima model kits sitting in the warehouse, waiting to ship along with this. Now I guess I'll be stuck paying for the two orders to ship separately.

The 2nd downside:

Does this mean there will be higher costs on Arcadia's end than they might have anticipated, which might be detrimental to getting more MZ23 mecha down the road?

Either way, this is pretty disappointing. This was going to be a bit of a Christmas present to myself (translation: don't tell the girlfriend how much I'm spending on this).

Sorry, just saw this on twitter too, from "kabuto_siren" replying to Arcadia:

"But wait for the development of prototype or EX is hope. We also sell perishable Yamato 1 / 15 Garland of old attached images (from breaking in an enhanced) replacement parts! Thank you m(_ _)m "

Followed by an image of what look to be replacement parts for the Yamato Garland shoulder joint.

So, Proto Garland and Garland E=X are hopefully not affected... or maybe this is a bad translation and someone is asking Arcadia about this? The latter seems like it might be more likely, since I don't recall Arcadia even showing a prototype of an E=X, though they've shown a Hargun.

Fingers crossed now for quality plastics, solid feeling figure and still enough interest to garner the rest of the mecha line up :unsure: keep lifting the Aoshima model kit here and would love if the Arcadia version is just that little bit more solid, especially around the arms.

I was the same was hope for a figure for an xmas treat... Looks like it will have to ship out along with the HI Metals I've ordered instead.

I think EX was mentioned in an article somewhere but no pics as of yet. Must be that the proto graland is still ok if they are refining something within the factory I'd assume at this stage? Wouldn't it be unlikely that they're retouching the model and just more so on the processing end of things. Come on Arcadia I've cleared a shelf just for this line :lol:

Edited by daBlah!

5 minutes ago, daBlah! said:

Fingers crossed now for quality plastics, solid feeling figure and still enough interest to garner the rest of the mecha line up :unsure: keep lifting the Aoshima model kit here and would love if the Arcadia version is just that little bit more solid, especially around the arms.

I was the same was hope for a figure for an xmas treat... Looks like it will have to ship out along with the HI Metals I've ordered instead.

I think EX was mentioned in an article somewhere but no pics as of yet. Must be that the proto graland is still ok if they are refining something within the factory I'd assume at this stage? Wouldn't it be unlikely that they're retouching the model and just more so on the processing end of things. Come on Arcadia I've cleared a shelf just for this line :lol:

I just skimmed through Arcadia's twitter (hadn't looked at it before tonight), and it looks like they said that they'd do a Proto Garland if this one sells well enough.

They also showed samples in the blister pack for this Garland, so it looks like things were VERY finalized when they decided to pull things until March.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep checking around every week or so, but there still don't seem to be any pre-release videos or anything for any of the Garlands, except for the E=X (which pretty much convinced me NOT to buy that one). I'm a little surprised.

• 1 month later...

The E=X Garland release is still February according to 1999 but if Arcadia is still making that version, then that's the one to wait for. Hopefully Wonder Festival will bring us some news.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we're still waiting on the new MZ23 stuff, I figured I'd try to fill in my collection of older toys. A few weeks ago, I came across the Megazone 23 Complete Box for an absolute steal of a price (it seems to currently run anywhere from $200-$600).

This is the big box that includes the 1/15th Yamato "Metallic" Garland, the DVD, the original soundtrack, an art book, and what I think is a promo disc for the MZ23 Playstation game (haven't tried it out to confirm, and it isn't listed on the contents).

To keep this thread going while we wait, and for some comparisons once the new Arcadia stuff comes out, I'm including some pics.

5a933e71cdab6_MZ23-BoxFront.thumb.jpg.c3331eaab60f656e7023d4614633d453.jpg

Front of the box

5a933ebd34d9e_MZ23-BoxBack.thumb.jpg.dd0f69cd0a9b79e13a84bd1767ae7a0e.jpg

Back of the box.

5a933ef0e3883_MZ23-BoxOpened.thumb.jpg.1439ba90d87b08df98c30541145ba56c.jpg

It's a nice, big, flipbook style of presentation. The flap includes the insert which has the book and discs, while the main box includes the Yamato figure.

5a933f3ad0349_MZ23-BookFront.thumb.jpg.9616250a81b9cb1e7cec1415624297ac.jpg

The front of the book (in it's protective plastic sleeve, which includes the title (on the sleeve, not on the book itself).

The book is really nice, on very glossy and heavy stock paper, almost all in color. It is all in Japanese, though, interestingly, the pages go left to right. It's around 100 pages long.

5a933fcf7b839_MZ23-BookBack.thumb.jpg.9f0c420a72483f75f136e66b3e84ba8f.jpg

The back of the book shows some alternate paint schemes. In addition to a lot of concept artwork (including some that I was surprised not to have seen before), there are more alternate color schemes inside.

5a934019b6070_MZ23-DVDFront.thumb.jpg.47feb5144560f613dc106405cf3e3b56.jpg

5a9340375a2a3_MZ23-DVDBack.thumb.jpg.7c5dad33275e0155bee6924bc0b2822a.jpg

The disc "twin pac" is nice and solid, including the DVD on a first flap, the soundtrack behind it, and a paper sleeve with the (I think) Playstation game inserted loosely.

5a9340dc0da59_MZ23-InsideBox-Insert.thumb.jpg.5f6dd1c9c02fb8b36817ca1bbacca295.jpg

The Garland is in the standard Yamato plastic insert, inside a cardboard sleeve. Usual accessories for the standard Garland are included, as well as a decent instruction booklet.

5a93413613eb4_MZ23-Garland-BikeMode.thumb.jpg.502fbabb55ea696114342c720f5c599f.jpg

This is the "metallic" edition.

I don't know if I would call this really "metallic". I have the Yamato metallic re-issue of Priss and her Motoslave, and that one actually has a genuinely metallic finish to it, a bit like an aluminum anodize. This is more of a darker, richer color than what was on the regular edition.

5a9341ed37976_MZ23-Garland-WithShogo.thumb.jpg.d7c0bcb4a42aca7be6652adac45630bd.jpg

Same mold as before, so Shogo can either be seated fully, or he can be holding the handlebars, but not really both. This is probably necessary in order for Shogo to fit inside when it is transformed into robot mode.

Basically, the bike is 1/15 scale, and the figure is closer to 1/18 (in my opinion).

5a93425064f6c_BikeFaceOff.thumb.jpg.2fafc6a23a9f61b8c0ef412f0b39aebe.jpg

Just for fun, and size comparison, here is the Garland in bike mode with the Mayhem Mekanics Spector Rogue (which arrived recently, too).

5a93429381016_FaceOff.thumb.jpg.5912cbb3721bd792900ec732568bae5f.jpg

A bit more of a size disparity in robot mode (partially because the Garland's legs extend during transformation at both the knees and the ankles).

The "metallic" finish is a bit more evident in robot mode, especially on the brown parts of the legs, which look much richer (for lack of a better word).

All.thumb.jpg.9f9a4d0505136cc23264667afb5697e9.jpg

And, of course, we need to bring out the rest of the crew (well, the ones that I have that seem to be close to that 1/18 scale, anyway).

Don't mess with those Shinji Aramaki designs.

9 minutes ago, DestroidDefender said:

The Yamato Garland was cool until the shoulders disintegrated. I was planning on designing and printing 3d replacements but never got around to it. Has anyone been able to source replacement shoulders for the original Yamato edition?

There were some on shapeways, but I don't trust their quality.

I run a 3d printing business on the side, and was expecting to be modeling and printing up some new ones just for myself for my new metallic Garland. I was assuming they would arrive disintegrated, like on my old ProtoGarland (which is why I have two of that one; Yamato sent me a whole new one when one shoulder broke on my first one). However, the metallic Garland actually has the later improved joints.