Consolidated Megazone 23 Toy/Model Thread for 2017-2018

RavenHawk

4 hours ago, daBlah! said:

If they could toss in those attack parts to make up for the 2 delays now that would be fantastic! :lol:

I'd preorder a second one if that were the case!

6 hours ago, locidm said:

Arcadia delayed to July, diecast will replace plastic in some areas for strengthening.

https://ameblo.jp/arcadiaac/entry-12356412578.html

So we've gone from 12/2017 to 3/2018, and now to 7/2018.

I have to say it makes me wonder 2 things:

1) If the original, more minor rework (at least as I understood it) caused an estimate of 4 months delay, and this more significant rework (again, from my understanding of the blog post) is ALSO estimated at 4 months delay, how reliable are these estimates? Seems like that July date could easily slip a couple more months, even if no new issues are discovered (especially considering that the blog post seems to say that they are reopening ordering to get more orders in, which could lead to larger production quantities and production times).

and

2) At some point, with all of these delays, and with the creation of new molds for the diecast bits, and with material cost increases, either they're going to take a big hit on profit, or they're going to have to increase the price.

20 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

So we've gone from 12/2017 to 3/2018, and now to 7/2018.

I have to say it makes me wonder 2 things:

1) If the original, more minor rework (at least as I understood it) caused an estimate of 4 months delay, and this more significant rework (again, from my understanding of the blog post) is ALSO estimated at 4 months delay, how reliable are these estimates? Seems like that July date could easily slip a couple more months, even if no new issues are discovered (especially considering that the blog post seems to say that they are reopening ordering to get more orders in, which could lead to larger production quantities and production times).

and

2) At some point, with all of these delays, and with the creation of new molds for the diecast bits, and with material cost increases, either they're going to take a big hit on profit, or they're going to have to increase the price.

1) You're not considering a very important element, when the factory says they can put their order in. There's no apples to apples about the severity of rework and the timing. I imagine there is some sort of a time when they have to lock things in and a clause about missed windows and future availability... If they're really fortunate, they're reaching a date in which they have to say "Make this or reschedule without penalty" and they're choosing to reschedule. 

2) This goes to the first item, delaying things has to be expensive for them in a lot of ways and they may even be paying fees to the factory. Hopefully they've budgeted in some issues into their original projections... at this point they have a lot of history to use for that. While the first Garland's price isn't in trouble, I wouldn't be shocked by a price increase on the variants... but at least the final result should get glowing reviews if they're putting all this love into it so maybe demand will let them do a reissue and make everything right.

Does this mean my blue and white version won't ship until 2019?

On 2/25/2018 at 5:15 PM, RavenHawk said:

Since we're still waiting on the new MZ23 stuff, I figured I'd try to fill in my collection of older toys. A few weeks ago, I came across the Megazone 23 Complete Box for an absolute steal of a price (it seems to currently run anywhere from $200-$600).

This is the big box that includes the 1/15th Yamato "Metallic" Garland, the DVD, the original soundtrack, an art book, and what I think is a promo disc for the MZ23 Playstation game (haven't tried it out to confirm, and it isn't listed on the contents).

To keep this thread going while we wait, and for some comparisons once the new Arcadia stuff comes out, I'm including some pics.

5a933e71cdab6_MZ23-BoxFront.thumb.jpg.c3331eaab60f656e7023d4614633d453.jpg

Front of the box

5a933ebd34d9e_MZ23-BoxBack.thumb.jpg.dd0f69cd0a9b79e13a84bd1767ae7a0e.jpg

Back of the box.

5a933ef0e3883_MZ23-BoxOpened.thumb.jpg.1439ba90d87b08df98c30541145ba56c.jpg

It's a nice, big, flipbook style of presentation. The flap includes the insert which has the book and discs, while the main box includes the Yamato figure.

5a933f3ad0349_MZ23-BookFront.thumb.jpg.9616250a81b9cb1e7cec1415624297ac.jpg

The front of the book (in it's protective plastic sleeve, which includes the title (on the sleeve, not on the book itself).

The book is really nice, on very glossy and heavy stock paper, almost all in color. It is all in Japanese, though, interestingly, the pages go left to right. It's around 100 pages long.

5a933fcf7b839_MZ23-BookBack.thumb.jpg.9f0c420a72483f75f136e66b3e84ba8f.jpg

The back of the book shows some alternate paint schemes. In addition to a lot of concept artwork (including some that I was surprised not to have seen before), there are more alternate color schemes inside.

5a934019b6070_MZ23-DVDFront.thumb.jpg.47feb5144560f613dc106405cf3e3b56.jpg

5a9340375a2a3_MZ23-DVDBack.thumb.jpg.7c5dad33275e0155bee6924bc0b2822a.jpg

The disc "twin pac" is nice and solid, including the DVD on a first flap, the soundtrack behind it, and a paper sleeve with the (I think) Playstation game inserted loosely.

5a9340dc0da59_MZ23-InsideBox-Insert.thumb.jpg.5f6dd1c9c02fb8b36817ca1bbacca295.jpg

The Garland is in the standard Yamato plastic insert, inside a cardboard sleeve. Usual accessories for the standard Garland are included, as well as a decent instruction booklet.

5a93413613eb4_MZ23-Garland-BikeMode.thumb.jpg.502fbabb55ea696114342c720f5c599f.jpg

This is the "metallic" edition.

I don't know if I would call this really "metallic". I have the Yamato metallic re-issue of Priss and her Motoslave, and that one actually has a genuinely metallic finish to it, a bit like an aluminum anodize. This is more of a darker, richer color than what was on the regular edition.

5a9341ed37976_MZ23-Garland-WithShogo.thumb.jpg.d7c0bcb4a42aca7be6652adac45630bd.jpg

Same mold as before, so Shogo can either be seated fully, or he can be holding the handlebars, but not really both. This is probably necessary in order for Shogo to fit inside when it is transformed into robot mode.

Basically, the bike is 1/15 scale, and the figure is closer to 1/18 (in my opinion).

5a93425064f6c_BikeFaceOff.thumb.jpg.2fafc6a23a9f61b8c0ef412f0b39aebe.jpg

Just for fun, and size comparison, here is the Garland in bike mode with the Mayhem Mekanics Spector Rogue (which arrived recently, too).

5a93429381016_FaceOff.thumb.jpg.5912cbb3721bd792900ec732568bae5f.jpg

A bit more of a size disparity in robot mode (partially because the Garland's legs extend during transformation at both the knees and the ankles).

The "metallic" finish is a bit more evident in robot mode, especially on the brown parts of the legs, which look much richer (for lack of a better word).

All.thumb.jpg.9f9a4d0505136cc23264667afb5697e9.jpg

And, of course, we need to bring out the rest of the crew (well, the ones that I have that seem to be close to that 1/18 scale, anyway).

Don't mess with those Shinji Aramaki designs.

That's some set. What are the contents of the artbook? I think there is a standard version of it but I'm not sure.

It looks like that E=X Garland missed February release date was delayed a few months. And Arcadia didn't have their E=X Garland at WF. But on the plus side, I'm going to borrow Megazone 23 from a friend of mine. So I'll get to see it soon. I hope it's as good as it looks.

3 hours ago, JetJockey said:

That's some set. What are the contents of the artbook? I think there is a standard version of it but I'm not sure.

It looks like that E=X Garland missed February release date was delayed a few months. And Arcadia didn't have their E=X Garland at WF. But on the plus side, I'm going to borrow Megazone 23 from a friend of mine. So I'll get to see it soon. I hope it's as good as it looks.

I think it may be the same contents as the "Maneuver Book" with the silver cover and the top-down view of the Garland, but I don't own that book to compare.

If someone on here does, and wants to post a couple pages from it to compare, I'll do the same from mine to verify.

4 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I'm going to borrow Megazone 23 from a friend of mine. So I'll get to see it soon. I hope it's as good as it looks.

I'd advise you to temper your expectations.  It's fondly remembered among us oldskool mechheads as a sci-fi classic, but keep in mind it's nothing more than a failed TV series.  Like Robotech II: The Sentinels, Megazone 23 got only three episodes animated before the sponsor pulled out, leaving a direct-to-video release the only option for the production to recoup costs.  The production values are no better than any '80s TV series, and it's only a small group of core fans that continue to support the production of new merchandise.  Most people have never even heard of it.

Especially in Japan.  <_<

Is that true? I remember reading about Robotech: The Untold Story (sliced and diced Megazone 23) and in it said that one of the many problems was that it spliced footage from Southern Cross, a TV show, with Megazone, an OVA, so the Megazone footage had much higher production standards and there was an obvious drop off in quality every time the Southern Cross footage was shown. The point being that, for that to be true, Megazone was produced in much higher quality than a standard TV show which wouldn't jive with the notion that it's just three TV episodes stitched together. Unless that's to say the sponsor pulled out early and they had enough budget for like six episodes and instead made one movie or something like that.

I'll say this, I never saw Megazone until my late 20s and I thought it was really boring... still like the Garland though.

47 minutes ago, jenius said:

I remember reading about Robotech: The Untold Story (sliced and diced Megazone 23) and in it said that one of the many problems was that it spliced footage from Southern Cross, a TV show, with Megazone, an OVA, so the Megazone footage had much higher production standards and there was an obvious drop off in quality every time the Southern Cross footage was shown.

Harmony Gold had 35mm prints of Megazone 23, but they only had 16mm prints of Southern Cross to work from.  The drop-off wasn't in production standards, just the quality of the film stock.  You'd hardly notice it on video, but seeing film projected on a movie screen, it makes a significant difference.

18 hours ago, tekering said:

Harmony Gold had 35mm prints of Megazone 23, but they only had 16mm prints of Southern Cross to work from.  The drop-off wasn't in production standards, just the quality of the film stock.  You'd hardly notice it on video, but seeing film projected on a movie screen, it makes a significant difference.

Honestly, I think you can even tell when you watch it on the small screen. it's especially jarring with the new ending adding in for Robotech: The Untold Story

19 hours ago, tekering said:

I'd advise you to temper your expectations.  It's fondly remembered among us oldskool mechheads as a sci-fi classic, but keep in mind it's nothing more than a failed TV series.  Like Robotech II: The Sentinels, Megazone 23 got only three episodes animated before the sponsor pulled out, leaving a direct-to-video release the only option for the production to recoup costs.  The production values are no better than any '80s TV series, and it's only a small group of core fans that continue to support the production of new merchandise.  Most people have never even heard of it.

Especially in Japan.  <_<

That's what always surprised me with the toy lines.

It seems like Megazone 23 has gotten a lot more love from toy makers and model makers than you would expect. Big Yamato line (about equal to Bubblegum Crisis), decent Aoshima line, and now three separate companies making figures, with at least one planning a full line. All of this from 3 OVAs, with most fans really only being partial to the first.

Compare that to Bubblegum Crisis with 8 initial episodes, 3 more in Bubblegum Crash, 3 in A.D. Police Files, 3 in Parasite Dolls, 12 in A.D. Police: To Serve and Protect, and 26 more in the reboot Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040, and yet the same, if not less, merchandise.

Back to expectations on Megazone 23:

All of this is just my personal opinions, and my personal tastes... but I don't think it's that great. There are SEPARATE ELEMENTS of it that I love, but most of the movie does nothing for me. I keep coming back to it mainly because of my love of bikes and Shinji Aramaki designs, as well as some of the ideas behind the storylines, rather than the actual execution of those ideas.

Most people seem to love the first OVA, and hate the two sequels (the final one of which is more like 2 separate, shorter, distinct movies). For me, personally, I think they don't stand up well together as a trilogy, but I think each is totally ok taken separately, in and of itself.

I still love and collect Megazone 23 items, but, for my personal tastes and for my personal enjoyment of watching and regular re-watching, the Aramaki rankings are:

1) Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

2) Bubblegum Crisis

3) Bubblegum Crash

4) Viper's Creed

5) BGC Tokyo 2040

6) Megazone 23

7) remaining BGC spin-offs

Interesting.  While I agree that Mospeada and Bubblegum Crisis are superior to Megazone 23, I prefer it to Bubblegum Crash or the AD Police Files.  In fact, I'd even rate Megazone 23 Part II far above Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Paradise Dolls, or any of that post-90s dreck.  If it ain't Kenichi Sonoda, it ain't BGC. <_<

And yes, the glut of Garland merchandise is as surprising as the dearth of Knight Sabers merchandise is disappointing...!

On 3/8/2018 at 11:12 PM, RavenHawk said:

I think it may be the same contents as the "Maneuver Book" with the silver cover and the top-down view of the Garland, but I don't own that book to compare.

If someone on here does, and wants to post a couple pages from it to compare, I'll do the same from mine to verify.

Yes they are identical minus the cover (I own both). It's a great book!

It appears to be the other way around... the Maneuver Book says it was published April 9, 2007 and the 1/15 Complete Box set was released a month before in March 2007.

That's so close though... perhaps it was always their intention to sell the book by itself for some additional revenue for those unwilling to commit to getting another Garland.

Speaking of which...here's the box set for a pretty good price at Mandarake [LINK] $190 (the ones on Yahoo Auctions all start around $290)

Here's the Maneuver book from the box set by itself [LINK] $75 (rare to see since that means it got separated from the boxset)

Here's the Maneuver book by itself at Yahoo [LINK] $116 (cheapest on ebay $158)

If you can find a decent price on it, I think it's definitely worth it. I usually see them on auction sites in the US anywhere from $300-600. 

In my case, I was on the lookout to try to fill out my Yamato Garland collection, and everything else was just a bonus. Ended up finding it on eBay from the UK in "used" condition (i.e. the box was a little banged up, but everything inside looked like it had never even been opened). At under $100, even after shipping to the US, it was an absolute no brainer for me and I'm super happy with the purchase. Seeing how gorgeous the book is was a thrill.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:39 AM, tekering said:

Interesting.  While I agree that Mospeada and Bubblegum Crisis are superior to Megazone 23, I prefer it to Bubblegum Crash or the AD Police Files.  In fact, I'd even rate Megazone 23 Part II far above Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Paradise Dolls, or any of that post-90s dreck.  If it ain't Kenichi Sonoda, it ain't BGC. <_<

And yes, the glut of Garland merchandise is as surprising as the dearth of Knight Sabers merchandise is disappointing...!

Well, we seem to have similar tastes, but not identical. That's just how it is with these types of things: each of us have some things resonate with us more than others.

Not to belabor the point, but it really doesn't make sense to me how much merchandise there seems to be for MZ23, and how little for any iteration of BGC (like only Atelier Sai having made the Scoop Chase hardsuits; luckily, I think that Yamato really did an impressive job on their toys).

Just posted on Facebook:

FB.jpg.d35897e1f2c33b9d46c121f3ae0c7581.jpg

So, the new factory sample is on display at the store... but it sounds like we're still a ways off.

Does this also mean that the figure cannot fit in robot mode, but only the top half of the body?

Edited by RavenHawk

Oh man...bummer. Yeah looking at other pre-release pics you're probably right.

The overall front-to-back length of the torso here doesn't look to be as long as the Yamato release which might be partly why maybe.

One thing I just noticed is just under Shogo's arm it doesn't appear that they're using magnets to hold the legs in place for bike mode which is probably a good thing since these legs are gonna be hea-vy.

5cab9535-40e1-4b3a-b068-35943a325125.jpg

I finally watched the whole Megazone 23 Parts 1, 2, and 3. Now I see why people like the Garland so much and why we are getting so many toys. I thought I was going to like Part 1 the most because of the art style but I ended up liking Part 3 the most. So I want the E=X Garland out of all the versions. I'm hoping Arcadia shows a prototype soon because that other version does look really sketchy transforming in that video. Also because I would want an Eve figure for the Part 3 Garland as well.

I think with Part 1, my opinion of it dropped a bit when the feel of the show changed somewhere in the middle towards the end. I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't watched it yet so SPOILER WARNING!

Spoiler

I thought the tone of the show became too dark or mature for the art style. I wasn't expecting some of the more graphic scenes and what happens to the characters. The ending was right out of Dangaio and I was glad that I had Part 2 and 3 to watch. I thought the art style of Part 2 and 3 fit the themes a lot better.

Part 2 has the same character designer as the Gatchaman OVA which is pretty cool. I love how the city is a character and it reminded me of movies like The Matrix and Dark City. Part 3 had a more cyberpunk feel and the Garland reminded me of Priss' Highway Star bike from Bubblegum Crisis Episode 4. I like when Eiji and Eve get to see the world in Part 3 as well. It was like that scene in Southern Cross when Dana takes Bowie and Zor to those three mounds. Also, I don't know why but for some reason I remembered a song from Part 3.

https://archive.org/details/08TheWallOfEdenAnotherStoryOfMegazone/Megazone+23+Vocal+Collection/01+-+Higeki+no+Idol.mp3

Maybe it was in an old trailer but it triggered memories. I like the music from Part 3 the most as well followed by Part 2, and Part 1.

The big surprise was Eve, who I thought was just going to be another Minmay singing girl type character. At least that's what I assumed from her images. And also what I vaguely assumed back in the 80s or early 90s seeing her artwork in magazines and that Mikimoto Illustrations artbook. Eve was the most interesting character of the show. I would like to get a few posters of her from each part. I can't believe it took more than 30 years for me to see this anime. But there are tons of old anime shows I still haven't seen. Megazone 23 is a cool show though. Now begins the search for items. I've been going over this site.

http://www.robotech.patlabor.info/index.htm

I can't believe they tried to turn Megazone 23 into Robotech the movie.

I watched some of this video from HappyConsoleGamer some time ago but stopped because I didn't want to be spoiled but finished it after seeing the show. He has a big Megazone collection.

Also his vinyl collection, timed at the Megazone part.

Bonus for fans!

https://archive.org/details/08TheWallOfEdenAnotherStoryOfMegazone

On 3/9/2018 at 9:04 PM, RavenHawk said:

I still love and collect Megazone 23 items, but, for my personal tastes and for my personal enjoyment of watching and regular re-watching, the Aramaki rankings are:

1) Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

2) Bubblegum Crisis

3) Bubblegum Crash

4) Viper's Creed

5) BGC Tokyo 2040

6) Megazone 23

7) remaining BGC spin-offs

For me after seeing Megazone 23 my list is:

1. Robotech New Generation / Mospeada - Difficult choice as the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA is awesome. But I love that travel feel of New Generation and the team.

2. Bubblegum Crisis OVA - I wish it ended better. For me it really ends at Episode 6. Although I enjoy Episode 8. I'm not too crazy about Episode 7.

3. Megazone 23 (In reverse order) Part 3, 2, and 1.

4. Bubblegum Crash - I like the opening of the show. But the tone and a lot of stuff is off compared to the original.

I haven't seen the later Bubblegum Crisis or any of the spinoffs yet. Nor Viper's Creed.

I'm glad you finally got to watch MZ23 and enjoyed it, don't think I've ever heard someone say they like part 3 the best of all of them though :lol: Part 1 is still my favorite because of the ending. I'll have to give the older parts a re-watch before the new MZ23XI comes out, if the 5 minute trailer thing that was kickstarted is successful in getting a series anyways. 

18 hours ago, dizman said:

I'm glad you finally got to watch MZ23 and enjoyed it, don't think I've ever heard someone say they like part 3 the best of all of them though :lol: Part 1 is still my favorite because of the ending. I'll have to give the older parts a re-watch before the new MZ23XI comes out, if the 5 minute trailer thing that was kickstarted is successful in getting a series anyways. 

Part 3 even with the rough edges is just a more fun anime for me. I like Part 2 as well. But I guess it's just the videogames, more cyberpunk setting, songs, and feel that make me like Part 3 the most. I couldn't believe Part 1's ending. I was like is that it? It's a downer.

9 hours ago, tekering said:

Holy smeg!  I'm the guy from Victoria who sent Johnny those Beta tapes thirty years ago!  :lol: 

That guy seems to have the majority of his 80s stuff. Contact him and he'll probably put you on the show. It would make for a good episode.

I've had Megazone playing in the background while I've done other stuff the last couple nights. I liked Megazone 23 Part 1 more than I remembered. The ending though is pretty rough. The clip show nature of it perhaps? Had the TV show played out maybe we get to a better resolution. Megazone 23 Part 2 was pretty jarring. All the characters you know done completely different in styles. While the ending is certainly a tidier bow on everything, it felt really unsatisfying. Again, it's in the background, so all the chase scenes, which I'm sure were done well, just seemed like filler. Only started Part 3 but I'm already 'meh' on all the hacker stuff so this isn't going to go well.

On 3/18/2018 at 9:46 PM, jenius said:

I've had Megazone playing in the background while I've done other stuff the last couple nights. I liked Megazone 23 Part 1 more than I remembered. The ending though is pretty rough. The clip show nature of it perhaps? Had the TV show played out maybe we get to a better resolution. Megazone 23 Part 2 was pretty jarring. All the characters you know done completely different in styles. While the ending is certainly a tidier bow on everything, it felt really unsatisfying. Again, it's in the background, so all the chase scenes, which I'm sure were done well, just seemed like filler. Only started Part 3 but I'm already 'meh' on all the hacker stuff so this isn't going to go well.

I thought Part 2 built up to the chase scenes because the early part of the movie is just the biker gang and getting to see what's going on in the Megazone.

Massive collection of cels. Yet another time I'm too late.

http://www.animanga.com/cels/gallery/yann/megazone.html

Hey all, if you're curious about any of the Yamato releases, I have a full review up now on anymoon.com. 10 to 12 years late? Yeah, maybe :)

Yamato-Red-Garland-4.jpg

I'll be doing the Proto Garland some day also but it's different enough that I'll give it a dedicated post.

Edited by jenius

Speaking of Yamato's Proto Garland, has anyone ever tried to put Shogo in the cockpit in Slave mode? I can't make it and I haven't seen any photos of it actually being done. If it can be done, is there some trick to it? Please, if you own a Proto Garland and have never tried this before, DO NOT on my behalf. This toy cracks every time you touch it...

This is specific to the Proto Garland, I've been able to do it with the Part 1 toys without issue.

Edited by jenius

17 hours ago, jenius said:

Speaking of Yamato's Proto Garland, has anyone ever tried to put Shogo in the cockpit in Slave mode? I can't make it and I haven't seen any photos of it actually being done. If it can be done, is there some trick to it? Please, if you own a Proto Garland and have never tried this before, DO NOT on my behalf. This toy cracks every time you touch it...

This is specific to the Proto Garland, I've been able to do it with the Part 1 toys without issue.

Yes, mine is. No issues with it at all. Just the same steps (i.e. adjusting the legs when he's seated) as with my metallic Garland.

I can take a pic if you want, though I don't have one handy.

No need, your assurance that it could be done gave me the resolve to just keep jamming it until it worked. I think the issue is that the legs on my Shogo prefer to be in a position that spreads them wide so they kept interfering with the baffles behind the swing bars. It's in now and I can take some pics. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, jenius said:

No need, your assurance that it could be done gave me the resolve to just keep jamming it until it worked. I think the issue is that the legs on my Shogo prefer to be in a position that spreads them wide so they kept interfering with the baffles behind the swing bars. It's in now and I can take some pics. Thanks!

Glad it worked out. One of these days, I'm going to be brave enough to try to jam in one of my CMs MOSPEADA riding suit figures (that probably sounds really bad, out of context).

I think you would have to remove the lower section (waist down) of a CM's ride armor figure into the Garland. There's just not enough room around the console... especially when you think about the boots those things wear.