Consolidated Megazone 23 Toy/Model Thread for 2017-2018

RavenHawk

33 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I got an ex-gokin Garland for 24000 yen. I patting myself on the back for scoring a great deal on a new garland. Then the invoice came in. The shipping is over 10000yen EMS. Id this correct? Anyone else who bought the ex gokin? If so how much did you pay for shipping?

Yes, that sounds about right. The box is huge and the gokin itself is hefty.  I paid around 12000 yen, but that was because of a Private Warehouse shipment from HLJ.

9 hours ago, Sandman said:

I got an ex-gokin Garland for 24000 yen. I patting myself on the back for scoring a great deal on a new garland. Then the invoice came in. The shipping is over 10000yen EMS. Id this correct? Anyone else who bought the ex gokin? If so how much did you pay for shipping?

from Amiami? i got mine from there at 30k a few weeks before it went on further sale at 24k. 

fortunately it was shipped out before the shipping clamp down and paid 5k to ship. so i guess it kinda evens out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 4:02 PM, jenius said:

I would just wait a year, there's a very good likelihood that Arcadia will reissue it as they clearly have plans on continuing to support the line.

I'm just reading up on the Arcadia Garlands.  I skipped out on these as I already have like 3 Yamato (1 I've opened and 1 in the box, 1 proto in the box) and felt I didn't need more.  But I just read the reviews about how the quality is much improved.  However, the cheapest proto garland I can find is $344 which is a bit steep.

Do we still think there will be a new release in a year or so?  If I could save $100 just waiting for a reissue (of either garland or proto-garland), I think that's what I'll do.

The new teaser trailer for the current Megazone project just dropped (with a splat). I would be keeping my ear close to the ground for new upcoming toy releases. Although, it seems there have been a few new releases as of late. 

Alas there was no strike garland in the new trailer..:(

2 hours ago, SpaceCowboy said:

I'm just reading up on the Arcadia Garlands.  I skipped out on these as I already have like 3 Yamato (1 I've opened and 1 in the box, 1 proto in the box) and felt I didn't need more.  But I just read the reviews about how the quality is much improved.  However, the cheapest proto garland I can find is $344 which is a bit steep.

Do we still think there will be a new release in a year or so?  If I could save $100 just waiting for a reissue (of either garland or proto-garland), I think that's what I'll do.

The Arcadia Proto-Garland was actually just reissued couple months ago.

But Mandarake have quite a few copies up. Mostly for 28k yen which is still retail price. There’s even an opened copy for 24k yen:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1144072643&ref=doc&keyword=Arcadia proto garland&lang=en

IF you can find the HLJ listing it will give the box dimensions (I also put the box dimensions up on anymoon). Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you which box Mandarake will use. I don't weight the toys in the box but it's pretty hefty for its size, the toy alone is about 325 grams.

1 hour ago, SpaceCowboy said:

Awesome - took the plunge - any idea how much DHL shipping will be on that?  They have to send me an email to know the shipping amount.  I couldn't find dimensions/weight to figure out what it would be.

There is a unit listed at Sahra outlet. If you are logged in, you can see how much the shipping costs..

• 2 weeks later...

Got it today!  I'm happy to see the new hinge design on the wheels.  After reconstructing the 1/15th swing bar, I was thinking about how it could be improved, and this is nearly exactly what I came up with.  Looking pretty good.

I'll have to keep an eye out if they reissue a 1/24th garland, as I think I'm probably going to sell the 1/15 MIB that I have as I am just assuming that if it isn't broken, it will break the first time it is transformed.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:46 AM, Bolt said:

The new teaser trailer for the current Megazone project just dropped (with a splat). I would be keeping my ear close to the ground for new upcoming toy releases. Although, it seems there have been a few new releases as of late. 

Alas there was no strike garland in the new trailer..:(

Was that trailer only available to backers?
Didn't see it anywhere online.

4 hours ago, SpaceCowboy said:

Got it today!  I'm happy to see the new hinge design on the wheels.  After reconstructing the 1/15th swing bar, I was thinking about how it could be improved, and this is nearly exactly what I came up with.  Looking pretty good.

I got a Proto-Garland a couple weeks ago as well! The price on the regular Garlands had climbed too high for my tastes, but because of the re-issue, the Proto-Garlands were still pretty close to retail. I'd been re-watching M23 not too long ago and my job has been pretty rough lately, so I figured I deserved some retail therapy.

It's an incredibly solid piece, I'm really pleased with it. Shogo's eyeless face is a bit of a knock, but I'm probably going to have it in maneuver-slave mode most of the time anyways.

I waited decades, even passing on the Yamato Garlands, to finally get a Proto-Garland, my favorite variant.  Arcadia did a good job, even though they fudged the cockpit/half figure. The only other criticism I have is that the hips barely have any lateral swing to them, and on a modern figure, that's a bit of a letdown. It can do an "A" stance, but it's pretty limited. Otherwise, it's a gorgeous figure.

"The new teaser trailer for the current Megazone project just dropped"

I'm curious where this is as well.  I just watched (rewatched?) Megazone 23 Part 1 last night, and boy is it a mess.  I did watch it once like 15 years ago (and also as a kid a la Robotech the Untold story), and this time I really made an effort to pay attention to what was going on, and picked up more of the story, but there are so many scenes that aren't developed properly so that the viewer understands what is going on, nor are scenes given time to breathe so that viewers can take in what is happening.  We get like a 2 minute scene where the bike is introduced, a new character is introduced, G-Men come in saying he shouldn't have the bike, but our new character works there, but maybe he's getting in trouble for showing it to Shogo...but apparently that mistake is a death sentence, as they start pulling guns out, then the lights are cut off, and Shogo realizes he needs to steal this bike...while the lights are out...oh, and new character is dead now....it all just happens so fast with no space or probable motivation that if you blink, you will have no clue what is going on the rest of the movie. 

Shogo and Yui romance seemed very forced and unnatural.  It was like watching a Junior High kid write about how romance worked.

And then it just...ends.  Yes, I get that it is "part 1", but it's essentially a movie.  We can have some closure and still set up for a sequel.  But alas, it was an OVA, in the mid 80s, so a bit less refined than strides we've made in the last 35 years.

That said...it has some really cool ideas that were WAY ahead of its time re: The Matrix, but jesus christ is the writing, pacing, and character development just absolute crap.  My wife watched it with me and she commented that the Wachowski's MUST have seen this prior to the Matrix, and that she really liked the ideas behind it, and was happy to hear it might be getting a modern update/retelling.

The Garland scenes were an absolute blast to watch.  I'd love to see more Garland action in a movie that builds up to make these scenes more emotionally impactful rather than the random distribution we kind of get.

Edited by SpaceCowboy

According to the reading I was doing after watching it recently, it was originally supposed to be a 12-episode TV series until sponsors pulled their funding mid-production. The director of part 1 said that it was basically a compilation film of the episodes that had already been produced, which would explain the disjointed nature. I like a lot of the elements, but it's too bad others couldn't have been jettisoned to make for a more focused, stronger movie (particularly the "we're filming a movie using the secret transforming military robot I stole" plotline was pretty bad, I thought).

Part 2 is a lot more cohesive to me. They narrow it down from 5 or 6 plot threads to just 2 or 3, and it works a lot tighter. The action sequences are better, too - I feel like a lot of the action shots in part one start half a second too late and end half a second too early to get the proper impact. Part 2's action is pretty stellar throughout, particularly the space battles.

I bought the DVD for part 3 but I haven't watched it yet. I've heard to keep my expectations low.

@Rhubarbarian - THAT makes a lot of sense!  Thanks for that piece of info.  Now that you mention it, that's exactly what it feels like, a hodge podge of clips from different episodes crammed together to roughly tell the story (a bit like Macross DYRL <ducks>)  :D  

I need to pick up Part 2 as I've never seen that.  Then again, I wouldn't mind just waiting for the new Megazone as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Fewture Garlands are turning out to be a bit of a dud.. Prices just keep falling. New ones can be picked up at Mandarake for only 20k yen. Double or triple helpings anyone?

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1148741359&ref=dos&keyword=art storm garland&lang=en

No doubt, the hefty shipping costs for it during these times likely contribute to its further price drop..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So they were responsible for the model for the yamato garland it seems? Also starting to feel like the same individual is responsible for the Arcadia version based on their design of the Hargan they're working on? Leaves me to wonder is the Hargan actually the model being built for Arcadia?

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Rhubarbarian said:

Came over here to mention this. I picked up a pre-order at AmiAmi last night, so I assume it's on HLJ and other regular retailers as well. Glad I didn't pay the inflated prices when I got the Megazone bug back at the start of quarantine.

I was looking for ones over quarantine and notice the price hikes on them so glad to see a reissue.

I also see that Arcadia have mentioned on their twitterin that they've improved the joints in this reissue.

I had issues trying to add one to the cart on HLJ and bought else where then just to secure one.

Fingers are tightly crossed for some Hargan news at some point.