Consolidated Megazone 23 Toy/Model Thread for 2017-2018

RavenHawk

Being in Japan, Amazon.jp has been my go-to for every Japanese toy.  They don't charge my card until it ships, domestic shipping is free, and I always get it on release day.

However, recent pre-order pages all have this "10% consumption tax charged item" notice, and I don't know if that's included in the list price or not... and, despite their "pre-order price guarantee," they're not always the cheapest.  Arcadia's Proto-Garland is a case-in-point: there are three third-party sellers on Amazon Marketplace, and they're all asking less than Amazon's own pre-order price.

Anime-Export got my business this time.  Not only do they accept PayPal, but their asking price is the cheapest -- a full ¥3200 cheaper than Amazon!  :o

I think I'll watch Megazone 23 Part 2 again to see if I'm going to get that Arcadia Garland from that part. I wish they included a Yui figure with the set. Hopefully they will still make a Part 3 version too.

15 hours ago, daBlah! said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fewturemodels/status/1155340354477907969

There looks to be a transformation video or something in the video image on that shot.EAiX5nJVAAEiKpa.thumb.jpeg.cc3fac0d3c5163d36b80ccf49dcf1ecd.jpeg

Glad to see this is still happening! 

@jeniusjust watched your strike part review... The jealously levels are high. Very nice when they're together like that.

It was a frustrating review to do but they sure are pretty.

Arcadia-Garland-XI-Strike-7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I checked out the thread, as I wasn't aware that the Proto-Garland was available for PO. Got mine through Anime Export. I've been wanting a PG for years- I skipped the Yamato due to breakage concerns, but the Arcadia Garland seems to be improved upon by comparison. I'm not crazy about the truncated driver figs, though- seems a bit of an engineering cop-out. Small concession if the Proto-Garland turns out well.

• 4 weeks later...

Backed the Megazone 23 kickstarter yesterday and decided to transform my Garland back to craft mode and I had completely forgotten how to transform it :lol: I remember that when I fist got it the legs would not tab in properly and they came undone with very little movement. Maybe it was not transformed correctly but now theyre on there solid ^_^

Arcadia Garland

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, SuperHobo said:

I don't know if this was posted earlier, but here is a low-res transformation video of the fewture - ex gokin Garland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhGpOXcpimc

I have to say, this is looking like a much more robust design than I was expecting. I'm actually a bit impressed.

Fewture’s implementation certainly looks impressive, and there’s appears to be very nice detailing on the joints & stuff that are only seen during transformation process, for e.g the inwards of front wheels.

The transformation has quite a few differences with Arcadia’s; shoulders seem to come together very solidly. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, daBlah! said:

So a delay until January 2020 now for the proto garland :cray:

Arcadia's original Garland suffered significant delays -- a full eleven months from pre-order to release, actually -- but it turned out to be one of the finest toys I've ever handled. Delays for the proto-Garland probably indicate the same exacting level of quality control.  :good:

Still, for what is basically a repaint with some minor retooling, I'm surprised it's taking so long...  :huh:

Well, if they need the time to work out kinks, I'd rather that than rushing a flawed product to market for the sake of an artificial deadline, especially for the asking price. I skipped the Yamato Garlands because of all the issues they had, was happy to hear that the Arcadia was solid, and am hoping the Proto-Garland follows suit. Been waiting a long time for this toy, and I'm willing to wait longer if it means it'll be solid, too.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Hey all, the Fewture Garland has finally been released!!!

I had to look this up on Amazon.jp, now that it's an actual product:

81JH8gaKizL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I sure hope the final production version turns out better than the painted prototype, 'cause... yuck.  :unsure:

91+8OjdCjTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's damn sloppy paintwork.  <_<

81Tuij+5M4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And Shogo's proportions look outrageous.  His neck is as thick as his head... and his biceps!  Good grief! :o

91lAOTPO+kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not that the Garland proportions look any better, mind you...  :huh:

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

That explains the sudden $300 charge on my credit card activity, ugh.

According to Amazon, its MSRP is $400.  :blink:

I mean, I love me some Megazone 23, but... damn.  :vava:

5 hours ago, tekering said:

I had to look this up on Amazon.jp, now that it's an actual product:

81JH8gaKizL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I sure hope the final production version turns out better than the painted prototype, 'cause... yuck.  :unsure:

91+8OjdCjTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's damn sloppy paintwork.  <_<

81Tuij+5M4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And Shogo's proportions look outrageous.  His neck is as thick as his head... and his biceps!  Good grief! :o

91lAOTPO+kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not that the Garland proportions look any better, mind you...  :huh:

According to Amazon, its MSRP is $400.  :blink:

I mean, I love me some Megazone 23, but... damn.  :vava:

It must also be mostly metal as shipping was not cheap!

From listings, the Fewture Garland's 25cm in slave mode, making it almost same size as the recent Bandai 1/48 VF-1. However, the package is more than twice the weight. This is gonna be quite a hefty beast.

The asking price may have seemed very high when it was first unveiled years back, but after gestating for 4-5 years and finally being released now, the price seem somewhat more palatable by today's standards. I mean, if Arcadia did their Garland now in this size and made it mostly metal, imagine the price it would be! 

I do hope the build & engineering is gonna be decent. From transformation video posted earlier up the page, it looked pretty solid, but the weight might be too much for motorcycle mode, as near the end of the video, the handler kept having to straighten the bike's mid-section from somewhat collapsing by itself. Hopefully, that flaw was only limited to the pre-production sample. 

1 hour ago, MKT said:

From listings, the Fewture Garland's 25cm in slave mode, making it almost same size as the recent Bandai 1/48 VF-1. However, the package is more than twice the weight. This is gonna be quite a hefty beast.

Yeah, Fewture's done this in the past...their EX R-Jettan box was huge (larger than Yamato's 1/24 Patlabor box) even though it's half the size.

1 hour ago, MKT said:

The asking price may have seemed very high when it was first unveiled years back, but after gestating for 4-5 years and finally being released now, the price seem somewhat more palatable by today's standards. I mean, if Arcadia did their Garland now in this size and made it mostly metal, imagine the price it would be!

I was thinking the exact same thing and how much my view had changed.

1 hour ago, MKT said:

I do hope the build & engineering is gonna be decent. From transformation video posted earlier up the page, it looked pretty solid, but the weight might be too much for motorcycle mode, as near the end of the video, the handler kept having to straighten the bike's mid-section from somewhat collapsing by itself. Hopefully, that flaw was only limited to the pre-production sample. 

Great observation...hope so too!

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:15 PM, SuperHobo said:

I don't know if this was posted earlier, but here is a low-res transformation video of the fewture - ex gokin Garland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhGpOXcpimc

Found a few more recent transformation videos below. Compared to the one posted earlier above, it appears that the arms can now be detached completely for transformation. Not sure if the detachment is optional to make it easier for transformation, like how some of us pull the Yamcadia's v2 VF-1 heads out when dealing with the swing bars,  or if it is a compulsory step that unfortunately makes it a bit of a partsformer. :(  

Edited by MKT