23 hours ago, jvmacross said:

That's what I'm thinking. Though I would have liked some mention earlier. I've been fine with this series, but the crux of her drive to fight against Sauron has been put heavily upon her brother's death, with no mention of...

Spoiler

...Celeborn, which is almost more notable. But yeah, I'm sure he'll be turning up, just not too soon, I hope.

Finished the season. 

Spoiler

Glad that most of the harfoot stuff is out of the way. It was mostly a basic episode that leaves room for further stories. Sauron was pretty much as everyone expected, but it felt like he revealed himself a bit quick. Everyone also guessed the meteor man was a wizard. Galadriel still hasn’t been able to open her mouth fully and still talks through her teeth

Not the most exciting of shows, but not the worst of the year, but far from the best. I hear they’re cutting the budget on the next season but hoping overall that since the introduction is done, that the next season will be better 

I overall enjoyed the show. And look forward to the next season. I hope the budget isn’t cut too much as the visuals and soundtrack are the shows strong points. To loose them would definitely hurt the show unless the story will be smoothed out a bit and the focus narrowed.

Spoiler

So Halbrand is Sauron and the stranger is a wizard…though still not named but he did give us Gandalf quotes so likely Gandalf. Still would prefer him being a Blue Wizard or even Saroman. Again my main gripe with the show is the condensing of everything plus now the Ring forging doesn’t make sense. They forged the Elvin rings first, though in a way that does more or less follow lore. They should have forged the other 16 first…maybe as a sort of experimentation of Halbrands methods with his actual help and then play it out as shown in the show with him gone but the Elves still forming their rings without him helping but still using his techniques. That would’ve at least stayed reasonably within lore. As it is now I’m guessing he makes the other 16 himself and starts distributing them. 🤷🏻‍♂️ At any rate, liked the show quite a bit in spite of its flaws and would like to see more. 

Chris

For a 1st season, it's OK. House of The Dragon is a better fantasy show but my gripe there is that it's moving at a very fast pace for a show that looks to last at least 4 season (unless each season gets progressively shorter).

Spoiler

I'm hoping the Stranger is not Gandalf. I would rather it not be him. Anyone who influenced Celebrimbor in making the rings would be Sauron since the lore is quite specific on that so as soon as Halbrand started working with Celebrimbor, it was a "yep, that's Sauron"-moment. I would like to see Sauron assume different forms since he was know to be a shapeshifter.

But yeah, so far, this show is OK. Not bad but not a top ranking amongst this season of shows.

Spoiler

The Harfoots and our (Blue?) Wizard friend? Dig it. More of them, please. Frankly, I don’t care much about the rest of what’s going on. Don’t find the human and elf drama or performances very compelling. And I don’t buy the elves just going along with Sauron’s plan once two of them know who he is. Even with their hubris, that’s a bridge too far for me.

Spoiler
37 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

And I don’t buy the elves just going along with Sauron’s plan once two of them know who he is.

Spoiler

I didn’t really like that either, but after thinking about what was said it kinda makes sense. They know it’s the only way to survive, so just a crown would be susceptible to corruption, just as Sauron planned or at least as they believe he planned. Two objects would only lead to arguments and three rings would allow for arbitration. They may be believing that they are avoiding Sauron’s plan, but don’t realize his plan to create a master ring

7 hours ago, Big s said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

I didn’t really like that either, but after thinking about what was said it kinda makes sense. They know it’s the only way to survive, so just a crown would be susceptible to corruption, just as Sauron planned or at least as they believe he planned. Two objects would only lead to arguments and three rings would allow for arbitration. They may be believing that they are avoiding Sauron’s plan, but don’t realize his plan to create a master ring

Spoiler

Plus that is basically what happens in lord anyway. Calabrimbor and Gil Galad never completely trusted Anatar (Sauron in disguise) but still use his techniques to create their Rings without him present unlike the other 16 rings. 

Chris

So the previous episode had me thinking that the pacing and the timeline were starting to feel muddled. This week was completely different. What an enjoyable episode that was. ^_^ Even with Amazon's creative liberties, I'm looking forward to where the show takes us next season.  

Spoiler

Sauron and the Watcher are finally revealed. I had a hunch we were in for another fake out before seeing who was who and this episode didn't disappoint there. The moments leading up to the Watcher's reveal had me second guessing myself once or twice. As for the rumors of his actual name, I hope the rumors of him being a well-known third-age Istari prove false. :p Amazon has an opportunity to build up one or both of the blue wizards (Alatar and Pallando) since there isn't much written about them in the lore.  

As an aside, I really enjoyed all the non-canon hobbit stuff this episode. And the scene where they go up against the 3 witches was well done IMO.

Sauron's reveal was more of a give away (as azreal notes) but over the entire season I enjoyed seeing how much went into establishing Halbrand as a non-canon persona. Now that the secret is out, I am excited to see how the rest of Sauron's story is developed in season 2. The confrontation with Galadriel I think gives us a glimpse of Sauron using his power of disguise---when he abruptly has her seeing her brother again in Valinor and then tempts her to be Queen of Middle Earth. I expect we will see more of Sauron's many disguises in season 2 as he regains his strength and will.

I am also thinking the big catastrophic event next season might be the destruction of Numenor. After this, the 'faithful' survivors will flee back to Middle Earth and maybe at some point reunite with Isildur? I'm also curious to see what he has been up to. How did he get out of that house?

And then there is the matter of the Balrog in the dwarven mines. 

1 hour ago, treatment said:

Think this is tons better than the whole series...

and if you don't mind twitter, here's a quite superb analysis of this ROP show's (Sau)Ron:

https://twitter.com/Huff4Congress/status/1581240092081127424

:bump:

That was funny! Doesn't convince me at all that this wasn't Sauron's long-game though. This is just what he wants us to think!🤪

Seriously though, Sauron is literally a supernatural being, on the level of a god, who cannot be killed. All we have seen, other than that one shot of him contemplating the seal of the southlands, for who knows why other than Sauron, is from other's perspectives. 

Also take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Devil's Advocate though, the writers could have done a better job of it.

Edited by Thom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Chunky001 said:

You know the show is bad when the Pitch Meeting is bad!:rofl:

I've never seen a Pitch Meeting I didn't like.....until this one. I don't think Ryan could summon any enthusiasm up for this one. 

I thought it was pretty funny, but mostly because the comments were pretty much on point.