Decals library

Convectuoso

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Must have run you a bunch of money; all the SDF_1's I've seen on there are like upwards of 300 or so (more like 500 lately!), unless we're talking about the model kits.

It was a model kit. The 1/5000 ROBO**** version. Funny thing is, it included the complete trees for an old imai 1/72 variable vf-1d. There was even some old ROBO**** coloring book pages and an extra set of decals for the ship. All for under 50 bucks shipped. It was a pretty nice surprise. 

Wow! Just the VF-1Ds are around $70-$100 on their own! No matter the packaging, that is STILL the best SDF-1 TV version model kit. The coloring book pages put it at about $200 worth of stuff!:lol:

On 9/26/2020 at 3:36 PM, Gabe Q said:

It was a model kit. The 1/5000 ROBO**** version. Funny thing is, it included the complete trees for an old imai 1/72 variable vf-1d. There was even some old ROBO**** coloring book pages and an extra set of decals for the ship. All for under 50 bucks shipped. It was a pretty nice surprise. 

Cool! Ship or Attacker mode?

Yeah they are the same, save for the numbers. I have a copy of the blue that I scanned, so I could just try to create the correct numbers in illustrator, but I thought I'd take a shot and ask here. I suppose if someone had a scan of the decals John provided for his 1:48 Legioss I could resize those and make a go of it. Thanks to you and Conectuoso for checking though.

That would be great! Thank you so much. I just need the sheet from the Armo Fightet set.

LOL . Thanks Again Gabe!

Hey, maybe we should start a group build! ;) (JK)

But seriously, thanks for the scan!

5 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Is there much of a demand for aftermarket decals? The printing firm I use does a great job (Custom Hobby Decals out of Australia) but the print run would have to be at least 2) sheets to make it worth while.

- Brett

I've been printing decals for this community for 18 years, so yes, there is demand. I printed the sets for John Moscato's two most recent kits (Quincy Rowe and Gabriel), so you've personally seen my work. :D

It's always a trade-off between cost and benefit when it comes to creating aftermarket decals. If you're trying to reproduce an existing set, usually one that's old and rare, it can be expensive to just do one or two of them since you have to take a scan of it and try to either clean that up or redraft it in order to get something printable. The larger and more complex the set, the longer the process takes. If you're creating a set from scratch, that can also take a lot of time, depending on the complexity of the designs and the size of the set.

Sometimes it's worth it, though. I've done it for this community in the past because making a rare set available helped out fellow members, but this isn't a business for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm super excited to share with you a project that I consulted on:

Labels & Stickers for Labels for 1983-84 VF-1S BATTROID VALKYRIE - Toyhax
Labels & Stickers for 1984 STRIKE VALKYRIE ARMOR - Toyhax

These are repro labels for the 1/55 Strike VF-1S (the pics shown on their site are actually my Valk). For those who aren't familiar, ToyHax is an amazingly high quality repro label company. They're really well known in the Transformers collecting world; particularly, in refurbing G1 toys. They used a designer friend of mine to create them (he has designed for Adult Swim, Coca-Cola, to name a couple and happens to also enjoy Macross - though not on the board here) and I consulted on the project, tested prototypes etc.

If this goes well, they'll produce more for the 1/55 line and possibly the old school TV SDF-1, Regult, etc.

* Disclaimer: This isn't a sales push, and I don't receive any money for purchases, etc. I simply had an idea, presented it, and consulted on it. I'm just excited to share with fellow collectors who have long been looking for quality replacement decals.

3 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Hey guys, I'm super excited to share with you a project that I consulted on:

Labels & Stickers for Labels for 1983-84 VF-1S BATTROID VALKYRIE - Toyhax
Labels & Stickers for 1984 STRIKE VALKYRIE ARMOR - Toyhax

These are repro labels for the 1/55 Strike VF-1S (the pics shown on their site are actually my Valk). For those who aren't familiar, ToyHax is an amazingly high quality repro label company. They're really well known in the Transformers collecting world; particularly, in refurbing G1 toys. They used a designer friend of mine to create them (he has designed for Adult Swim, Coca-Cola, to name a couple and happens to also enjoy Macross - though not on the board here) and I consulted on the project, tested prototypes etc.

If this goes well, they'll produce more for the 1/55 line and possibly the old school TV SDF-1, Regult, etc.

* Disclaimer: This isn't a sales push, and I don't receive any money for purchases, etc. I simply had an idea, presented it, and consulted on it. I'm just excited to share with fellow collectors who have long been looking for quality replacement decals.

I've used ToyHax/ Reprolabels; their stuff really is top quality. :) They're also more durable than the original stickers.

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

Would those decals even be usable after all these years? They must be decades old. 

Decals are pretty resilient, so they should be usable even after 30+ years, but they can be fragile. I usually brush on a coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film to protect the entire sheet, then start cutting out and using what I need. Sometimes the water-based adhesive has weakened a bit, so using a setting solution is a good idea.