Convectuoso

Decals library

Is there a decals library on this site?

If not, I'd like to start one, where anyone can submit decal scans of unbuilt models they have, so they can be used as backup by any forum user who damages, loses their decals or wants to repaint or customize a model kit or toy.

33 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

This is the closest thing we have. Lots of decal scans in there.

Actually, there are very few high-resolution scans available there, and there's no mechanism for users to upload them, either.  <_<

I think this is a great idea, and could be a very valuable resource, provided we follow a few ground rules:

1. Scans must be at least 300dpi.  Anything smaller is of little use to anybody.
  2. Scans must be clearly labeled in message text, so they're easy to locate with the search function.
  3. Whenever possible, a picture of the box should be included for ease of identification.

I'll start by offering what little I have to share:

ARII 1:100 VF-1J Valkyrie Fighter (original release)

5a0108fe288cd_ARIIVF-1Jfighter.jpg.7cae6c517c3832a29b20963047ed8d61.jpg

ARII 1:100 Regult Tactical Scout Type (original release)

ARII_Regult_scout.jpg.ac83a8d121ac8b0ee7d8d3efdd7b38b6.jpg

Hasegawa 1:4000 SDF-1 Macross w/Prometheus and Daedalus

HasegawaMacross.thumb.jpg.e1651e8d0b66256224ae73be14b00182.jpg

If we follow this format, I see great potential here.  :D

Bandai 1/72 SV-262 Draken III Roid Deculture Ver.

Unfortunately, it's a flawed scan because the decal sheet got damaged on the way to me. You can easily see where the sheet has been creased. :( I originally scanned it at 600dpi and downscaled it to half size. If anyone wants the original 600dpi png (~40mb file size), let me know.

I might try to clean up the image. If I do, I'll post an update.

EDIT:

Bad scan, the top got cut off. Bah. Be right back.

EDIT 2:

There we go.

5a06820f7721a_sv-262deculture.thumb.png.b3ba137ce0a937ac152a4304b2bf9992.png

Edited by kajnrig

While I'm cleaning out the closet, would people like scans of the sticker sheets? I'd been meaning to scan some of the Mecha Colle kits' sticker sheets but never got around to it. Since the markings sometime extend beyond what you actually use, I was thinking of transferring them to a contrasting background and scanning the result. Yay/nay?

I guess it's time to dig out the 1200DPI scanner, anyone interested in the Hasegawa -31a decal sheet? Other than that it's just Bandai Valks and Gundam stuff.

35 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I guess it's time to dig out the 1200DPI scanner, anyone interested in the Hasegawa -31a decal sheet? Other than that it's just Bandai Valks and Gundam stuff.

I'd also be able to provide -31A decals, though it seems my scanner bed is dirtier than I'd like. Lots of little bits and pieces everywhere, even after cleaning it off with a microfiber towel.

Last one for tonight. Sticker sheet, 300ppi. Best to contact me for the 600ppi (4mb) file so you can make out the cut lines, or even better, the 2400ppi (53mb) one. I'll transfer the individual stickers to a different backing and try to make raster files, or at least better-quality, full-color (non-dotted) pngs from scratch.

Bandai Mecha Colle VF-171 Nightmare Plus

10371770p.jpg

5a06a15dee1fe_mechacollevf-171stickersheet300.png.9e5c13115cdee6d0dc12bb558c1b87b2.png

4 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Anything you have is welcome here. The idea is to collect as many decal / sticker sheets as possible 

Great contributions, @kajnrig

Edited by Convectuoso

Converting that VF-171 sticker sheet into a set of decals. First set of tests, decals 15-18

5a080bceb2155_vf-171decalstest01.png.562b5ab4883c0879808a5d87497a3bc4.png

I'd love to be able to raster-ize these instead of having to resort to fixed pixel count images. Anyway, these are at 600ppi and can be printed out at 600dpi. Resize it -50%, change the ppi to 300, and you should be able to print it out at the correct scale at 300dpi. (If I'm getting that conversion wrong, let me know, please.)

The black borders are there to mimic the borders of the clear parts of the stickers, to make DIY decals easier to cut out. I'd imagine you don't really need to follow them, just make sure not to separate the gray pattern thingies from the white.

Edited by kajnrig

Done converting. I even managed to correct the mirrored lettering on some of the "NUNS" logos, and added detail to the emblems lost on the original stickers.

I'll have to get some white decal paper, and a new inkjet/laser printer as well since the AIO I'm using to scan images can't print... :/ Then it's time to test these out, and if the results are good, I'll move onto tackling something more complex and relevant. I'd still like to learn how to make these using vector graphics instead (I mistakenly said "raster" images last post) so as to avoid aliasing and so I can resize stuff like the logos and emblems without losing any details.

Still, this was fun.

(Image at 1200ppi/dpi, reduce it as necessary to suit your printer.)

5a0d550ff2445_vf-171decals.thumb.png.7f2b7222c0f8218356f228ac5795e8a9.png

Edited by kajnrig