Jump to content

Recommended Posts

i might aswell make this an actual thread...

i have have started my very first Diorama, and its is the SDF-1 situated on macross island,

its will be in scale 1/8000.

the SDF-1 model im using in the diorama is a Bandai 1/8000 storm attacker kit, i converted

into Cruiser mode, i had to remodel some of the parts since they where not to scale or was simply the wrong shape,

changes made to parts where:

Main cannon (gave it more bulk and more details)

Main Cannon connector (changed shape completely)

bridge boom (made from scratch)

bridge (needed separation and details)

main thrusters (looked to much like feet, changed shape and added details)

the diorama rough sketch is pretty much done, need more roads though.

IMG_20171101_225920.thumb.jpg.ba285c5f74d3814d7959bf7bd372d264.jpg

IMG_20171101_225941.thumb.jpg.8efb0757b9427ca27161e9ba0d08e111.jpg

IMG_20171104_034033.thumb.jpg.fe426322e9a1bf536e0e28d5bc6cdd53.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an amazing idea! Where will you display it? I would love one protected under a plexi-glass as a low table in the lounge :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am totally in love with this project!!! Can't wait to see it complete!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

That's an amazing idea! Where will you display it? I would love one protected under a plexi-glass as a low table in the lounge :D

that's actually a good idea, but then it should be the entire island and surrounding sea :wub: loving that idea.

6 hours ago, electric indigo said:

It would already look cool if you hang it at a wall in it's current state.

actually i can do that, the board in the picture is only the "blueprint" so to speak :D

 

the actual diorama display in its current state...

IMG_20171105_000834.thumb.jpg.bbf83b416d7c764df263d1692faa757b.jpg

IMG_20171105_000902.thumb.jpg.7b63b2c82a00f0f2d1cb5b75a7cdd32e.jpg

Edited by Nyankodevice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Cool! Looks like you're off to a great start! That must be a pretty good-sized diorama. What are the full dimensions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, electric indigo said:
Macross Dios are totally trending!

No, I'm sorry...  I just can't.  I can't begin to process this level of detail.

no.thumb.jpg.9be22448525f2a15ca96d5a0ac440934.jpg

How is this even possible?  :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that looks great:D

and  is "doable" at that scale 1/4000....

 

however it doesn't look like SDFM

they only have 9 - 10 years to build both the city, military base and rebuild the ship

which they first need to study, also in the study phase there probably weren't that

many civilians to build a city, since the site probably was off limits...

also the un -  anti un wars took some time...

so in the end there probably weren't that many buildings above 3 - 5 storys 

i assume most, military personnel lived on the base...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 3:46 AM, Nyankodevice said:

it doesn't look like SDFM

they only have 9 - 10 years to build both the city, military base and rebuild the ship which they first need to study, also in the study phase there probably weren't that many civilians to build a city, since the site probably was off limits... 

also the un -  anti un wars took some time... so in the end there probably weren't that many buildings above 3 - 5 storys 

While I agree with your logic, the onscreen evidence doesn't:

5a052deb4fac8_manytallbuildings.thumb.jpg.229b9648a7fbe8aaef4f1d502a868c6f.jpg

5a052de88f5fe_tallbuildings.thumb.jpg.c0393630409850bf95b1ab9a67acace6.jpg

5a052de60feb6_el.thumb.jpg.76da926d0e74a7acbc33d7e374dfdfcd.jpg

evidence.jpg.14004e28105d3cba3e36ab1fb1d12d15.jpg

overpass.thumb.jpg.0aa6c9ae9cb1e88dd39d1fc39d732983.jpg

Macross City was a bustling metropolis, complete with highways, freeway overpasses, and numerous skyscrapers.

You've got your work cut out for you, sir.  :p

layout.jpg.a279f1e9575130532cf9ba1ae3b8a376.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 12:46 PM, Nyankodevice said:

that looks great:D

and  is "doable" at that scale 1/4000....

 

however it doesn't look like SDFM

they only have 9 - 10 years to build both the city, military base and rebuild the ship

which they first need to study, also in the study phase there probably weren't that

many civilians to build a city, since the site probably was off limits...

also the un -  anti un wars took some time...

so in the end there probably weren't that many buildings above 3 - 5 storys 

i assume most, military personnel lived on the base...

 

The entire scientific and industrial might of the UN was focused on this project, and the defence thereof. 

9 years and change for a city like that considering the global devastation wreaked when Macross made planetfall isn't TOO crazy... Tidal waves and droughts would mean alot of ppl willing to move and work for food, shelter and safety. 

And the City was so big that despite the Interstellar war breaking out, 40,000 civilians and change survived being accidentally spaced by the SDF-1's emergency fold... Going by the screen grabs that's a city of a couple Million...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mcr111l.jpg

The concept art IMO leaves it more open if these structures are metropolitan high-rises. The production art also doesn't feel like a city build around the spaceship, more like the ship being superimposed on generic city imagery. So which way to take for a 3D representation? Can anybody decipher the annotation in the sketch?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the above reasons are also valid.. 

But are we forgetting that there were two animation studios working apart, one of which weren't so particular when it came to scale of various things... Just some thoughts ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wider view of the layout of the Dio posted above:

macrossisland.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×