WIP: Alternate Weapons Pods for VF-31

Sanity is Optional

Nice video! Is this an accurate recreation of the in-show speaker pod? I don't doubt it is, but I seem to remember there being extra speaker kibble coming off the top of the largest speaker section.

Also, apologies if someone's already asked, but any chance this gets recreated in 1/72?

51 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Nice video! Is this an accurate recreation of the in-show speaker pod? I don't doubt it is, but I seem to remember there being extra speaker kibble coming off the top of the largest speaker section.

Also, apologies if someone's already asked, but any chance this gets recreated in 1/72?

For what limited space is given to work with, it looks pretty good to me.

IMGP4652.JPG

3143a3f00b157fefecd3ea662ed03ff0.jpg

On 21/01/2018 at 12:14 AM, kajnrig said:

@kajnrig I don't think I forgot a noticeable speaker, let me know if one is missing, I can still fix the 3D files :)

1:72 scale ? It can be done, but fully in FUD and in fixed position: would be that ok ?

I just made a quick comparison picture to explain the differences between "my speaker pod" and the one available now on shapeways. The one on shapeways is more anime accurate and would close more firmly.

revised_version.jpg.5968c9e248fade659a2ccfabf16cde05.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Ah, I'm sure you've got it down pat; I was just remembering it wrong, as @wmkjr's screenshot made clear.

1/72, closed and open fixed mode, would be great but I'd hate to make you do much more work. What's the risk in a "simple" scale-down of the preexisting model?

I will try to scale down tomorrow and see if it still printable. If it doesn't work that means that only FUD could print and that I have to simplify the model to make it stronger.

Speaker pod painted !

01_speaker-pod.thumb.jpg.ab3fe3cb12e23ea2526062dcd5d20a7e.jpg

02_speaker-pod.thumb.jpg.04b440725f97e1d272e39678be930e97.jpg03_speaker-pod.thumb.jpg.ef6eef989b6716c9381574a91d2987ce.jpg04_speaker-pod.thumb.jpg.4200c66500eae09b604da4b65a595a56.jpg

05_speaker-pod.thumb.jpg.0ff75a808855377e64c404a396136eb3.jpg06_speaker-pod.thumb.jpg.34c5ed14a08bef0a67d755a59fef4b45.jpg07_speaker-pod.thumb.jpg.741308755dbc481152f69c7eeb140f42.jpg

@Sanity is Optional thanks and I am waiting for your next pod too !

@valhary What is Ozma doing in Delta ? I can't believe I never saw this version, please share more in MP

@seti88 many thanks :)

@kajnrig 1:72 scale was accepted by shapeways, however, just to make sure I slightly modified the sprues so they are larger and don't got rejected.

Here is the link to the WSF parts : http://shpws.me/PrOw

the FUD parts http://shpws.me/PrOl

Edited by Xigfrid

I'll be placing an order for both the missile launchers and speakers in 1/72 this weekend. Just wanted to make sure on recommended materials:

- @Xigfrid WSF for the shell, FUD (FED?) for the speakers?

- @Sanity is Optional WSF for the bottom shell, top shell, missile inserts; FUD (FED?) for the missiles and doors?

This'll be my first time ordering anything from Shapeways. Any other advice for first-time setup/working with 3D-printed materials?

For the speaker pod yes, wsf for the shell, WSF-polished if you really hate sanding 3-pass and want only 2-pass. FUD for the inside is enough to me, I have also put FED as an option because this is a material that is often requested. 

Don't forget to rinse FUD/FED in 75% water+ 25% dish washing soap to get rid of the excess of wax. I didn't wash mine mind you ;P

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I'll be placing an order for both the missile launchers and speakers in 1/72 this weekend. Just wanted to make sure on recommended materials:

- @Xigfrid WSF for the shell, FUD (FED?) for the speakers?

- @Sanity is Optional WSF for the bottom shell, top shell, missile inserts; FUD (FED?) for the missiles and doors?

This'll be my first time ordering anything from Shapeways. Any other advice for first-time setup/working with 3D-printed materials?

WSF or FUD/FED for the shell, using FUD/FED will probably show some of the extra detail a bit better. If you sand it'll almost certainly remove the 0.2mm tall stuff.

The doors need to be FUD/FED.

If you wait until Tuesady or so, I'm going to try combining some of the parts together on a runner so they can be printed as 1 piece, and cost a bit less.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

On 1/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, kajnrig said:

Thanks for the confirmation, you two. And thanks Sanity for the head's-up.

New models are on Shapeways for the 1/72, ought to cut the cost quite a bit. I'll re-do the 1/60s during the week.

[edit] Since the models don't seem to be showing up properly, here's direct links:

Body

Interior

Doors

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

@Sanity is Optional I placed an order for the missile rack earlier today. Shapeways informed me that the shell parts can't be printed as is. Is it a material thing? Maybe I'll try in FUD instead of WSF?

Yeah, I got an email about it.

The issue is the front (sharp) end of the two shell pieces. I can either bulk it up, and you'll have to shave it sharp, or you can print in FUD/FED.

I personally printed mine in FED, since there's some detail I added to the body, and the cost of FUD vs FED is pretty close.

Just now, kajnrig said:

Ah, I see. Okay, I've gone ahead and contacted Shapeways, hopefully they'll add it back to the order in FUD. Thanks much!

No problem. I'll remove the option for Strong+Flexible from those parts once I get home tonight.

7 hours ago, chyll2 said:

will you also repackage the 1/60 version of missile pod?

At some point, it's a bit more complicated than just scaling up the 1/72.

I'l try to do it this weekend.

Got my alt pods in the mail today. @Sanity is Optional, you weren't kidding about the fine details on the shell pieces! I'm glad that snafu with them happened that forced me to go with FUD.

A head's up for modelers: Both @Sanity is Optional's missile pod and @Xigfrid's speaker pod have holes designed to accept the pegs on the 1/60 DXes' central rotating platform. I think the 3D models were just shrunk down and said hole not redesigned to fit the 1/72 Bandai kits' pegs. If this is the case, you'll probably have to drill the proper size hole for the 1/72 peg. I'd tell you what the correct size is and whether things fit, but I don't have a Bandai kit on me. If I get one in the near future (preferably if Bandai announces an E or A variant), I'll see what the fit is like and get back to you all.

On the Hasegawa kit, the default charging pod doesn't actually peg into the central platform at all. Instead it just slides in from the rear of the fighter, with small tabs on either side of the pod that fit into matching slots on the insides of the legs. In order to mod these pods to fit on the Hasegawa kits, you'll either have to add those same tabs to the pod or, probably the simpler route, cut off the slots on the legs and glue the pod into place.

Anyway, thanks again for the amazing work you two did.

Glad you like it. You are correct that the mounting hole is just a downscaled 1/60 size. 

Looking forward to the finished product.

I'm going to try and get the 1/60 scale mounted up on sprues this week, and start on a clip to mount the gun to the wing hardpoints (on the 1/60).

Turns out I do have a Bandai VF-31F. Huh. Anyway, I took a couple pics illustrating fit issues. As I suspected, the hole in the pod is slightly too big for the 3mm peg. Easy enough to fix with tape, glue, etc.

Apologies for the phone camera as always.

5a9f0a02b2019_missilepod.jpg.35129ac228506b5cc82b17dbf4c1625e.jpg

The speaker pod:

5a9f0a0829e18_speakerpod.jpg.7a8736630c83f874482c80f4c1508297.jpg