WIP: Alternate Weapons Pods for VF-31

Sanity is Optional

If you’re talking about Xig’s Arcadia pylons and the 101 missiles, I just now clicked the link on his recent post and they’re there. Gotta scroll. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the “strike canon pod” (I love that name @wmkjr!) today in the smoothed black HP plastic. The quality of the smoothing process is really great compared to shapeways’process and I am very pleased with the whole model. 

I noticed that in this second copy the dual canons were a tad too tight to slide in and out so I had to sand them a bit, otherwise everything else was perfect fit. 

Next step would be to put it up at shapeways in standard plastic. I am still undecided for HP plastic, would you guys prefer to pay twice but getting it from shapeways locally or going through longer delays and additional shippings from Europe?

C253D099-D7B3-4978-8BF4-47839EDB0547.jpeg

CCEAD5F9-5C64-4785-AFF4-C9A97B3D86EB.jpeg

85D525D4-7C2A-43EC-B399-CE7D9743659C.jpeg

A2224C50-8F6F-4325-BDE2-84A3F3F8A205.jpeg

CD3B3DAC-3562-4811-9897-230BF838572B.jpeg

F5E26E95-225A-48A6-B2B4-BC79F5C48717.jpeg

Edited by Xigfrid

So Shapeways HP = 2x  much as the local vendor's HP but has faster lead times with cheaper shipping options correct?

Me personally, I'd get whichever is the cheapest total cost. I don't mind waiting longer for the items since there's always things to finish anyways. 

Ok, here are the rough prices:

-printed in Europe: 30 USD in HP plastic smoothed (unfortunately this would be a limited offer) and approx 10 USD individual shipping.
-printed by Shapeways in standard plastic: 40 USD, 41 USD smoothed add 5 USD shipping
-printed by Shapeways in Professional plastic (HP): 82 USD in grey or black add 5 USD shipping

Because I have to order large batchs, I won't be able to offer individual European prints, only by large pre-orders.

I am looking for better options concerning the European prints shipping, and a different sale model. So for now nothing is firm. I will let you know later if I can find a sustainable cheaper sale model.

Edited by Xigfrid

On 12/7/2018 at 1:23 AM, Xigfrid said:

That is it, additionally if you order through me, I can add all the screws and pins needed: 4 screws M1.7x6mm, 1x 1mmx10mm pin and 2mmx40mm tube

I'll take up that offer, heck is it possible to get the speaker pod direct through you and get the pins/screws needed?

13 hours ago, Focslain said:

I'll take up that offer, heck is it possible to get the speaker pod direct through you and get the pins/screws needed?

The Speaker pod is somehow a special case, since it is composed of 2 parts materials, the plastic can be ordered through me, but the Fine Detail plastic part has to be ordered through Shapeways anyway. I am thinking of making the Fine Detail plastic portion in 3D printed resin instead but I had bad luck until now.

I have ordered a low quantity of strike canons for the end of the month in HP plastic smoothed, and I will dispatch these once I got them.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:53 AM, Xigfrid said:

The Speaker pod is somehow a special case, since it is composed of 2 parts materials, the plastic can be ordered through me, but the Fine Detail plastic part has to be ordered through Shapeways anyway. I am thinking of making the Fine Detail plastic portion in 3D printed resin instead but I had bad luck until now.

I have ordered a low quantity of strike canons for the end of the month in HP plastic smoothed, and I will dispatch these once I got them.

No problems, I have the speaker pod on my wishlist once I get the funds for a large order (I have a few 40K bitz I need as well). Just figured I ask since I'd pay a bit more for the complete package as opposed to having to do a separate order for the hardware.

10 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

@zzgundam010 I have made a small order of strike canons that will arrive in a few days, I have already put 1 aside for you in this batch, you probably can have 2 if you want. So don’t worry ;) 

I plan to make a second pre-order in HP plastic at the low price before putting it on shapeways. 

Thanks! I only need one.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:19 PM, Sildani said:

That’s awesome! Now we just need a painting guide. 

I think you can go whichever color you prefer because they only exist in black & white in the Master File book. Anyway, metallic gun colors or grayish theme like mine will look great in my opinion. And if you want to be the most consitent, you will need to color match the bottom of the pod with the VF-31 wings color.

And color matching is the hardest part, I am still looking for a Tamiya spray can I need to bring the original pod to my hobby shop and have a look, probably AS-10 spray will be great match.

Hi guys, I have received a few Strike Canons pods already and a few more next week. 

Let me know in private message how many you want, which destination, do you want me to assemble it ? I will give you my PayPal and total amount to pay. The pods will be shipped the 1st or 2nd week of January.

I wish I would have time for that, but I really can’t spend the time to paint them, sorry.

Edited by Xigfrid

• 2 weeks later...

A few pods have been sent already, I made a few more so I got 10 left, not counting the 1 reserved for you @Focslain, don't worry!

If you want one let me know. These are made of highly polished "professional plastic" in black, and I am also giving the screws and Aluminum bar for the assembly for 30 USD (or 26.40 EUR) each.

Spoiler

For what it worths, the Strike Canon pod is also up at Shapeways but considering the price tags, I am thinking of migrating/ duplicating my shop to Sculpteo.com but their buyer interface is very so-so.

Edited by Xigfrid

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see pictures of the pods !

@enphily, if it is loose in close position, you probably fix it with a thick semi clear layer. 

On the opposite, I noticed that a few parts with thicker than expected tabs, like if the parts were melted too much, that would make the guns a bit floppy in the open mode.

The fix is to clean (sand) the tabs on the middle axe that lock the plasma gun until they lock in place firmly. Or to clean the edge of the rails where these tabs go. 

3CF1A1F8-38F2-4D71-A617-B17F6D0DD73A.jpeg