BSG Colonial Raptor Moebius kit WIP.

505thAirborne

Well after waiting years for this model kit to come out and years after the show ended, I finally have a BSG Raptor for my collection. 

Much like the Vipers & Galactica, it's a straight-forward build, parts line up nice and flush, no wonky gaps. Pilots look ok, I think the MKII Viper pilots were more detailed but they still look good. 

For now I assembled  just a few parts and the rest are held by tape as the whole interior needs to be glued & painted before you can put the main body frame on. 

SSWA! 

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

Had more free time than I realized today, despite the rain I stated working on the inside and tried out some different shades of tan for the Raptor. I like the one I chose so far! IMG_6599.JPG.52852d7f5193720f09bc60114128506f.JPG

Edited by 505thAirborne

36 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

You have to buy a separate weapons set?  Even Hasegawa doesn't usually do that, when they're "weapons unique to that aircraft".  

Unfortunately, luckily it didn't cost an arm & a leg for the Armament set. 

The only rational I see for that decision is because in order to install the Weapons, you have to find the little starter holes inside the fuselage & wing sections, then fully drill out those holes so you can attach the hard-points for the missiles & rocket pods.... in other words you no longer can open the side hatch/door for Comm section. 

I'll post a pic of the instructions if I confused anyone. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I finally had some free time & a chance to get over to the Hobby Shop. This is the Raptor so far. The initial coat of paint I used was really dark (Think a B-17 with dark OD paint... didn't look right). Ended up using Model Master Afrika Mustard and looks pretty close to what you see in the series. Engines are next as they are supposed to be a Metallic Brown color (per the instructions). 

The Rocket pods, missiles & guns are drying outside. 

Going to ply around with the Air-brush tomorrow or Tuesday and give it that "Combat Worn" look.  B))

IMG_8491.JPG

IMG_8496.JPG

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8503.JPG

Just now, derex3592 said:

Captain America made a raptor kit??? When the frack did that happen????:blink:

fairly early in the show's run if I recall correctly...

I do recall it sitting at the top of my grail-kit list for some time.

23 minutes ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Great work on the Raptor. Man it looks like a big kit too.

BTW how is the fit?

- Brett

Thank you! She's a big kit at 12" Long, 8" Wide and about 5" in height. Overall the fit is pretty good, there are few place where putty would certainly come in handy.

Otherwise, much like the MKII & MKVII Vipers it's a fun kit to build. Right now I'm having fun airbrushing it. B))

Added the Armament Set and gave the Raptor some weathering, still needs to looks like "Athena" got her butt kicked by the Cylons before she & Helo won the day! 

P.S. If you do decide to get this kit, buy a heavy duty stand like a "Flight-pose" or something, this kit s rather heavy and the stand they give is the same as the Vipers... not very sturdy. 

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8528.JPG

IMG_8530.JPG

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

14 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

armed to the teeth and ready to kick some Cylon a**!!!

Yes she is!! I didn't realize til I got the kit that there were the Rocket pods and mini-guns! Thought it was just the big missile racks & Mini-nukes. 

8 hours ago, electric indigo said:

It's probably a good thing some people work in the FX industry and not in the military...

Reminds you of the scene in Black Hawk Down "Grimes, the most important thing: if everybody else starts shooting, try and shoot in the same direction". LOL 

• 1 month later...