Valkyrie Driver

Super Macross Mecha Fun Time Discussion Thread!

Bet ya those stub mounts are for reaction missile like the 25’s Armored pack. And most likely for the missiles from the Super Parts for the 31. 

2 hours ago, Andras said:
  Reveal hidden contents

YzWlvvK.jpg

So, speculation on Vf-31 Armored weapons?

built in HMGs and head beamguns of course

dual beam turret

forward firing beam guns in the dorsal armor next to cockpit

arm mounted gatlings

10+ medium weight AAMs (2x5, any reloads in there?)

dorsal micro missile packs

leg micromissiles (outers dual layer?)

micromissiles in the front of the rocket boosters (2 ports each?)

no wing mounted ordnance, but there are 4 new stub mountings on the booster packs.

I'd say it's greatest weapon would be that it looks like exactly what it is... a bunch of old animation assets haphazardly jammed together into piece of junkyard vomit.  They're clearly hoping that their enemies will mistake it for space junk or become ill looking at something so ungraceful.

Weapons-wise, this looks pretty straightforward... entirely because this is like 80% reused models from Macross Frontier.

The packs seem to cover the internal ordnance bays and Bifors CIMM-3B micro-missile launchers in the engine nacelles/legs, but the 4 Mauler ROV-127E 12.7mm anti-aircraft beam machine guns and Ramington LM-25s 25mm rapid-fire railguns are still exposed.  

The new weapons appear to be a kludge of bits taken from the APS-25A/MF25 Armored Pack and TW1 Tornado Pack, the VF-171EX Nightmare Plus, and Destroid Cheyenne II.

Specifically, the leg and torso packs appear to be slightly modified versions of the APS-25A's leg packs with the Ramington CIWS micro-missile launchers, same with the upper torso armor.

The ordnance container has been replaced with a twin beam cannon that looks like someone put a cooling shroud on the TW1's TW1-HPC/MF25 heavy quantum beam cannon turret.  It probably will turn out to be exactly that.

The guns on the arms are clearly reuses of the 30mm 6-barrel GE rotary cannons from the Cheyenne II destroid, something borrowed from that unused-in-the-final-film Konig Monster variant which was used in the Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa trailer at the end of Macross Frontier: Istuwari no Utahime.

The bits on the sides of the booster rocks look like someone took the Sentinel AVM-11R long-range missile container from the Nightmare Plus and just added another chamber to it and painted it white.

It looks like there's a pair of micromissile ports inboard of each of those.

All in all, it's an ugly, clunky mess that looks like the output of a bored designer being told that he's got to have a new mecha for the movie to make Bandai happy and threw it together in a single night's coffee-fueled binge of jamming existing art assets together regardless of whether they look like they belong.

Yeah but doing so makes a bit of in-universe sense. I think it was said that Chaos is run with a shoestring budget by a bunch of second-raters, so it makes sense their Armored Pack is a bunch of existing hardware they can lay their hands on for cheap and have Makina kludge it together. 

Besides, I bet it stays on the Siegfried for about 45 seconds and one (1) Itano Circus before Arad blows it all off saving Walküre from a thing. While screaming. 

4 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Yeah but doing so makes a bit of in-universe sense. I think it was said that Chaos is run with a shoestring budget by a bunch of second-raters, so it makes sense their Armored Pack is a bunch of existing hardware they can lay their hands on for cheap and have Makina kludge it together. 

Besides, I bet it stays on the Siegfried for about 45 seconds and one (1) Itano Circus before Arad blows it all off saving Walküre from a thing. While screaming. 

Reports from those who've seen it already suggest the film is over 50% recycled footage from the TV series, and I'd expect at least half the non-recycled footage to be new Walkure concerts, so on balance we're looking at maybe 20min of new animation that isn't specifically Walkure singing.  I'd guess the Armored Pack is probably dusted off for the final battle only, like when Alto's VF-25F got its Armored Pack for the final push in Macross Frontier's 25th episode and only had it on for like 3 minutes.

I do have to admit that, considering the VF-31 itself is made mostly from "off the shelf" parts that were developed for other VFs, having an Armored Pack that is similarly built is hardly indefensible, and arguably just an example of consistent design... even if it is ugly.

Yeah, to me it looks like someone saw the Stampeed Valkyrie and the Thunder Hammer, and smashed them together in his mind. Blergh. 

Of course, I’ll still BUY a set...

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

Yeah, to me it looks like someone saw the Stampeed Valkyrie and the Thunder Hammer, and smashed them together in his mind. Blergh. 

Two great tastes that don't taste great togethere

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Two great tastes that don't taste great togethere

Nonsense, everyone loves gravy in their fruit salad.

I will most definitely be taking a pass on this one when Bandai puts it out.  I collect beautiful Valkyries... not ugly ones.  It should say something that, despite my antipathy for the story, two VF-31s have already landed on my shelves and a third is en route.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

15 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nonsense, everyone loves gravy in their fruit salad.

I will most definitely be taking a pass on this one when Bandai puts it out.  I collect beautiful Valkyries... not ugly ones.  It should say something that, despite my antipathy for the story, two VF-31s have already landed on my shelves and a third is en route.

Quite so. I have a VF-31F and a 31A on pre-order. It's a very beautiful bird.

Two of the new Macrosses are named グラシオン (Grasion?) メガシオン (Megasion?). 

h1K6JzO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Mirage's Sv-262. 

Edited by SMS007

I quite like the look of the Armoured VF-31S in Battroid and Gerwalk modes, even though I'm not normally a Gerwalk fan.

However, Fighter mode, which is normally my favourite mode looks terrible, especially when compared to the Armoured VF-25. I  also really hate that the Tornado style beam guns are pointing backwards in Fighter mode :(

They’re probably just stowed in that position. I’ll eat my hat if they can’t flip forward in some way. They can probably traverse and elevate too. 

4 hours ago, Graham said:

I quite like the look of the Armoured VF-31S in Battroid and Gerwalk modes, even though I'm not normally a Gerwalk fan.

However, Fighter mode, which is normally my favourite mode looks terrible, especially when compared to the Armoured VF-25. I  also really hate that the Tornado style beam guns are pointing backwards in Fighter mode :(

They're not backwards.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:37 AM, SMS007 said:
Two of the new Macrosses are named グラシオン (Grasion?) メガシオン (Megasion?).

There doesn't appear to be any obvious theme naming going on, besides ending in -ion.  I can't find any mythological connection there, and can't shake the feeling that those look more like the names of Pokemon.  (Maybe Xaos acquired GameFreak at some point?)

On 2/10/2018 at 8:37 AM, SMS007 said:

Mirage's Sv-262

Spoiler

Might as well give the poor girl something... since, besides that, the only thing the movie gives her is the shaft.  (No, not that way.  Get your mind out of the gutter.)

6 hours ago, Graham said:

... y'know, I didn't even notice that.  The design is so busy.

That said, I don't really have a problem with the guns facing backwards in fighter mode.  It's not the first VF to do so, and, honestly, considering how acrobatic dogfights in Macross are, there's a decent design case for including a strong disincentive for someone to stay on your tail.  Interestingly, it also looks like the barrels are retractable, 

4 hours ago, Sildani said:

They’re probably just stowed in that position. I’ll eat my hat if they can’t flip forward in some way. They can probably traverse and elevate too. 

They'd be a pretty poor imitation of the Tornado Pack's heavy quantum beam cannon if they couldn't... and we've known for bloody ages that the YF-30's beam cannon container was a VERY good imitation of the Tornado Pack's beam cannons.  Arguably better than the original, being more deadly and more compact.

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

They're not backwards.

Look at the shape of the center mounting, they're backwards.

That yellow bulb thing is facing rear.

Is this the deco of Chelsea Scarlett's YF-25, or is it merely an expanded color model for the barely-visible Frontier movie YF-25 model?

yf-25-battroid.jpg

10 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Is this the deco of Chelsea Scarlett's YF-25, or is it merely an expanded color model for the barely-visible Frontier movie YF-25 model?

Both, technically.

All three YF-25 Prophecy prototypes were given the same orange, white, and blue paint job by the factory for visibility.  The units were individually numbered 001, 002, and 003 for identification purposes, but were otherwise identical.

This particular picture is Unit 001, the YF-25 used by Angers 672 for the first test flight over Messiah 025 and later given to SMS's Chelsea Scarlett when her VF-19ACTIVE Nothung was destroyed (by Angers 672) during a FASCES attack.  So this IS a standard color scheme, but it's also the colors of the YF-25 used by Chelsea Scarlett and Angers 672, which is arguably a distinction that needs to be made since Reon Sakaki had a YF-25 from Sephira colored seafoam and white.

(Unit 002 is not mentioned as having done anything interesting, and Unit 003's sole mention of note is that it was seen onscreen in Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa sitting in the SMS Macross Quarter's hangar.  All three units appear together in a model kit box art painting by Tenjin Hidetaka that's in his Valkyries: Second Sortie book.)

As I recall, the YF-25 was Shinsei/LAI Frontier's project, in parallel with Olympia's YF-26 and Galaxy's YF-27. Is there any information on what SMS Sephira was doing with Reon Sakaki's YF-25 prior to Macross 30?

Okay, this is something that comes to mind every now and then, and I always forget to ask. So today, I break the trend.

What exactly IS the Thunder Hammer? It looks an awful lot like a GBP-1 clone, but I assume there's more to it than that.