8 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Oh god, that must be like trying to play Guitar Hero on Easy after 100%ing everything on Expert.

yeah it kinda is.. some planes are study sim such as the A-10C but others still reasonably complex like the Su-27 are a lot more manageable and still enjoyable.

I use to use FSX (and many the versions before it) and they were good but lacked the combat environment (TacPack module aside) that DCS offers far more comprehensively. For the moment DCS is second to none.

I play DCS and Ace Combat, love em both for different reasons. DCS for the in depth flight model and systems simulation (the new Viggen add on is great) and Ace Combat for the crazy stories, fun combat and usually great music (AC2 is still my favorite game soundtrack). I'm pretty hyped for 7, here's hoping it isn't ruined by Namco throwing in micro transactions for plane skins and weapons.......

That looks amazing!!!  All I can say is that they better support a HOTAS setup and not make you only fly it with that silly PS controller - no where can I find that they would support the joystick throttle setup - argh.

I'm always impressed by the Ace Combat games, but really wish they didn't have the unrealistic number of weapons and enemies.  What I wouldn't give for another Strike Commander game.

• 2 months later...

Man, I've missed their choral/orchestral soundtracks so much since AC0.  AC6 had a few tracks that were decent, but it felt a lot heavier on the synthesized stuff, and I never heard anything that impressive out of AH or the online one's trailers.

Also, I might be imagining things, but I want to say the plot is giving me a sort of Endless Waltz-ish feeling?  Maybe it's the princess character giving me Mariemaia Khushrenada vibes.  I'm not sure which faction the player is fighting for in this game though, so it's tough to tell whether they're intended to be a hero or villain, or even just a puppet.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see a thread on this and it's been a long time since I posted here(lots of changes here too). Ace Combat 7 got delayed and I believe it's coming next year. I worry it's just going to be a short campaign technology demonstrator(which is how Assault Horizon came off).

The last best games in the series IMHO were the PSP games and possibly the 3DS one(remake of AC2 with squadron fights and 3D). 6 had a short campaign with long missions.

With 7 the counterattack maneuvers(Cobra-esque) have been brought back sans rails. Not sure if all planes are able to perform it but the recent trailer showed the Super Bug, Flanker and Raptor able to do so. 

Hopefully the campaign will be long and substantial(like Ace Combat 5) and not just a PS4VR tech demonstrator to show clouds.

There has been another thread floating around, but it's titled oddly since it was just mentioned as referencing Macross Plus in a poster/trailer, I think.

I'm really hopeful that they'll go back to life before the blood and guts oil splatters, and before the online grindfest of the most recent release.  As short/cheesy as AC6 was, it still had decent gameplay, and the "cobra-esque" maneuvers were semi-realistic, since they just involved thrusting and braking at the same time.  Real life is more complicated, obviously, and a lot of older engines just don't have the power and instantaneous thrust to pull it off.

From what I've seen in the trailers it looks like there will be quite an emphasis on the story so maybe we will be getting back to the old AC5 days. It's a little strange we haven't got an official release date yet but I've waited this long for another good AC game and I can wait another year if need be.

Just now, AN/ALQ128 said:

A little more footage on the fancy airshow moves from a Famitsu stream. Looks like the ability to pull it off will depend on what speed you're going at, and most likely the conditions you'll be flying in.

Preferred entry speed for Pugachev's Cobra is between 250-300 knots if I recall, so the ~500km indicated on the backflip makes sense; if you high-alpha-depart or cobra at high enough speed you'll fold the wings even on a Sukhoi.

I wonder if you can get into "post stall maneuvering" if you, you know, stall instead of depart the aircraft...

• 1 month later...

VR looking pretty slick. I love the hangar walkaround feature already. Getting that up close to my favourite aircraft from the comfort of my couch is a dream come true.

Edited by AN/ALQ128
Original video removed